*****New Craig Levein Poll 31/08*****

Whatever

*****New Craig Levein Poll 31/08*****  

1,302 members have voted

1. 1. Should craig Levein....

• Remain in position as head coach and director of football
    • Leave/be removed from his role as head coach but remain at the club as Director of football
    • Leave/be removed from his role as director of football but remain at the club as head coach
    • Leave/be removed from the club completely

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
7 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Firstly, I don't know who Gail is!

Secondly, Levein is in charge of first team matters. The first team isn't performing, and hasn't for quite some time.  I don't know for sure whether it's all down to tactics, team selection, motivation, training methods, or a combination of all of these factors and maybe other factors too, but given that Levein is in charge of all of this stuff, and it isn't (and hasn't been for a long time) working, it seems clear to me that he's not up to the job.  If you disagree with that and think Levein is still the man to manage the club, fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, but I personally can't see how we could be as poor as we have been for as long as we have been with him in charge and then see a turnaround with him still in charge!

Thirdly, I'm not saying MacPhee or any of the other members of the coaching or scouting staff are, or are not, good at their jobs, and should, or should not, be retained.  I'm simply pointing out that when it comes to individuals working under a failing manager, any or all of them could be very good or very bad at their own individual jobs, and it would be very difficult for any of us to really be able to tell. It's possible that MAcPhee gets the players doing some great work on the training ground and ready to play great stuff in matches, but then Levein gives the players tactical instructions and motivational talks that suck the life out of everyone, in which case Levein needs to go, but MacPhee could be a real asset for a new manager. Alternatively, MacPhee could be getting the players doing stuff in training that screws their heads up so badly they simply can't function when an actual match comes around.  In that case, MacPhee needs to go, but Levein is still culpable as he's in charge overall, and responsible for MacPhee doing what he's doing in the first place, and Levein therefore still needs to go too, given how long MacPhee has been working for him!

So, to sum up (and if this is too difficult for you to grasp, don't feel bad about it, everyone has their limits!), Levein is in charge of first team matters and the first team has been badly underperforming for so long now that if he could sort it out, he most probably would have by no.  This means that he really has to go BUT each of the individual people that have been working under him during this lengthy period of underperformance may or may not actually be good at their individual jobs, and may or may not be well worth retaining by the next manager (if Levein does go). Even if all of the problems are actually caused by one or more of the coaches working under Levein, he'd still be culpable given how long things have been going badly under this whole setup, as the setup is down to him.  Again, as an example, MacPhee is assistant to Michael O'Neill in the Northern Ireland setup, and they've been pretty successful over the last few years. If MacPhee was a useless clown, you'd think O'Neill might have got rid of him, or more likely the NI team would have done much more poorly than they have. 

Gail's in Mensa 

your statement about levein not being up to the first team job seems pretty obvious to most but apparently not a view shared by mrs b or levein himself - could that mean that your opinion lacks the insight they have or is it actually ok and it's just other folks opinions on the coaches which lack insight?

thanks

:)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Pasquale for King

• 1874robbo

• Jambo-Fox

A_A wehatethehibs
10 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

What good things has he implemented exactly??? 🤔

The club is on a solid foundation for a new man to come in and galvanise everyone. There are good players and good youngsters here and the squad financials are stable enough to get us good level players in like Naismith, Damour, Whelan, Washington. So we can credit him for that at least, but for the first team now it is time for that new man, there’s no doubt about that. 

kingantti1874

So at least 95% want him out of the managers seat.. and I say and least becuase you can guarantee there will be - few hobos amongst the 5% Who genuinely want him to stay..  

terminal.. cannot be recovered.. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

So at least 95% want him out of the managers seat.. and I say and least becuase you can guarantee there will be - few hobos amongst the 5% Who genuinely want him to stay..  

terminal.. cannot be recovered.. 

Be fair. The 4% have good manners.

35 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

For those saying he should continue as DoF, how many managers are going to come in and work under their predecessor?

This. I think it would be very unlikely that any self respecting manager would take the job if Levein had any involvement with the team. 

His two cohorts have to go as well, Daly and McPhee, they are as culpable as him. In fact the whole football department needs cleansed if a new man comes in.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, suds66 said:

This. I think it would be very unlikely that any self respecting manager would take the job if Levein had any involvement with the team. 

His two cohorts have to go as well, Daly and McPhee, they are as culpable as him. In fact the whole football department needs cleansed if a new man comes in.

that’s just plain wrong depending on the responsibilities. Robbie said many times he had final say on al transfers, as did cathro.. if this is true and I’ve no reason to doubt that then any manager would take the gig, the DOF model is the most common model in world football, only in the Uk Have we lagged behind and even here now most reasonable sized clubs have a DOF..

daly and fox should go, on McPhee so many rate him so highly you’d have to let the new guy choose..

11 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The club is on a solid foundation for a new man to come in and galvanise everyone. There are good players and good youngsters here and the squad financials are stable enough to get us good level players in like Naismith, Damour, Whelan, Washington. So we can credit him for that at least, but for the first team now it is time for that new man, there’s no doubt about that. 

And at Dunfermline. And Partick etc

Our youngsters have a history of starting well and stagnating all too quickly. 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

that’s just plain wrong depending on the responsibilities. Robbie said many times he had final say on al transfers, as did cathro.. if this is true and I’ve no reason to doubt that then any manager would take the gig, the DOF model is the most common model in world football, only in the Uk Have we lagged behind and even here now most reasonable sized clubs have a DOF..

daly and fox should go, on McPhee so many rate him so highly you’d have to let the new guy choose..

It's my view, if you remember when we were recruiting for a manager before Budge had an epiphany  and appointed Levein. The new manager would have to work with the existing backroom staff and could not bring their own team in.

From what we are lead to beleive, Daly and McPhee oversee the training on a weekly basis in Levein's absence. I do not have a problem with a DOF being in place, not Levein.

You are correct, the new manager should make the decision on who stays or go's.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

I’m genuinely stunned at how many people want Levein out of the club completely. Ungrateful fools IMO (but, then, many people actually voted for the national self-harm that is Brexit. So, I guess there are plenty of fools happy to push each other over a cliff).

The only thing CL can’t fix is the performances on the park. Everything else about the football infrastructure is in the rudest health it has ever been in in my lifetime (since the awful seventies). And, that my friends is down to CL. 

He must step down as manager and stick to what he is brilliant at: developing young talent and signing good players.

28 people still want him to remain wow, if they are genuine hearts fans and not people trolling i am lost for words. Do you actually enjoy your team being a laughing stock?

A_A wehatethehibs
10 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

And at Dunfermline. And Partick etc

Our youngsters have a history of starting well and stagnating all too quickly. 

I’m saying the good foundations are there for a new man to come in and succeed. Do you think it’s a total rebuild like summer 2014 after administration/relegation? With our main stand falling apart? Started with only 8 players contracted including Brad McKay and Jordan McGhee? 

We’ve come a long way under Levein-Budge, we’ve now got the players, youth setup, stadium and overall infrastructure to get results. You can’t deny credit for that. 

A good manager is now one of the last piece of the jigsaw. 

That’s the way I see it anyway, I am grateful for Leveins hard work over the last 5 years, but there comes a time when you need new blood at the helm, that time is now. 

Maybe it's not as bad as it seems.  Ross County and Hamilton are no mugs.  Stenhousemuir are a gutsy wee side and East Fife have a terrific record in the League Cup.

On reflection I think it's been a pretty good start to the season.

We're in good hands.  Onwards and upwards.

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I’m genuinely stunned at how many people want Levein out of the club completely. Ungrateful fools IMO (but, then, many people actually voted for the national self-harm that is Brexit. So, I guess there are plenty of fools happy to push each other over a cliff).

The only thing CL can’t fix is the performances on the park. Everything else about the football infrastructure is in the rudest health it has ever been in in my lifetime (since the awful seventies). And, that my friends is down to CL. 

He must step down as manager and stick to what he is brilliant at: developing young talent and signing good players.

Again I ask, how many managers have worked under their predecessors, especially when that predecessor has been sacked from that role?

The only position I would have Levein in would be a director of development or something along they lines. He can help develop the academy, young players & organisation around tournaments, youth training etc but should have nothing to do with the first team.

HamishMcGonagall

I was all for him staying as DoF but as someone mentioned, his record has gotten to the point now where he'd be in a position of sacking someone that has a better record than him further down the line. 

John mcCartney

What I saw yesterday,for the most part, was a bunch of mismanaged statues out there .Coupled with a severe lack of confidence amongst the team,and a couple of injuries signifies yet once more to me that the man is a loser.
A cursed loser.

44 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The Club is on a solid foundation due to Ann Budge and the fans!!

I really deliberated over options 2 or 4, but went with 2 at this stage. His time is definitely up as Head Coach, his record is now indefensible. However I think he does add value in his role as DOF/Head of the Academy. However, for us to attract a new manager of decent standing I think there need to be clear daylight between the Head Coach and Levein’s future role. The new Head Coach has to have full autonomy over first team responsibilities, including tactics and signings. If this can’t be done then I think Levein has to leave altogether.

I do worry though, that if Levein remains in some role and/or we just promote from within, that some fans will never properly move along and the air of negativity will remain, with ongoing dissent after every defeat or poor performance.

2 minutes ago, combo74 said:

I really deliberated over options 2 or 4, but went with 2 at this stage. His time is definitely up as Head Coach, his record is now indefensible. However I think he does add value in his role as DOF/Head of the Academy. However, for us to attract a new manager of decent standing I think there need to be clear daylight between the Head Coach and Levein’s future role. The new Head Coach has to have full autonomy over first team responsibilities, including tactics and signings. If this can’t be done then I think Levein has to leave altogether.

I do worry though, that if Levein remains in some role and/or we just promote from within, that some fans will never properly move along and the air of negativity will remain, with ongoing dissent after every defeat or poor performance.

Levein will never give a new Manager full autonomy - as long as he remains his negative influence will continue to cast a dark shadow over the Club.

He is hugely unpopular throughout the game with his peers and no experienced Manager worth his salt will ever work under him.

He has to go!

jack D and coke
11 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Would have accepted him remaining as DOF if he stepped down at the end of last season. Now he needs to go completely, as do all the background staff and this promotion within strategy. 

Yeah. The goodwill for him is fast disappearing if its not already completely gone. 

He hangs around in the background it won’t go well. 

I really don’t think the fans will wear a promotion from within either the club is crying out for some freshness. 

7 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

Simply think we've missed our opportunity. 

Or I was trolling the rage-filled MeMeMe's. You decide.

Probably taking the piss as usual....😉

portobellojambo1
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Yeah. The goodwill for him is fast disappearing if its not already completely gone. 

He hangs around in the background it won’t go well. 

I really don’t think the fans will wear a promotion from within either the club is crying out for some freshness. 

This is true, but given his character I'm not convinced that will bother him either. I would have had a lot more respect for him if at the end of last season he had said this head coach role isn't working, and at that stage the club had offered to keep him on but in a management role overseeing Riccarton, for example. I'm not as convinced by some that what is happening up at Riccarton is something out of this world, it ain't, many clubs go through spells where they have groups of kids coming through at the same time who look highly promising. However, if he is now kept on in some background position it has to be a role that not only gets him well away from involvement of any sort with the first team but also removes the role of a director of the club. He has to have absolutely no say whatsoever in who his potential replacement is. And we need to be looking externally, not at an internal promotion.

Im not going to vote yet,  the next three games could change everyone's mind, I know we have been here before, the next game things will get better and so on. 

We have Motherwell, a team we have already beaten this season. But the two bigger games will be H1b5 and the sheep in the cup. If we beat both them  im sure this poll would turn in Levein's favour. Both massive games, a very poor h1b5, but they will be up for it  being a derby. Can, levein get his players up for that game. Then we have the sheep in the cup and the last 4. 

36 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I’m saying the good foundations are there for a new man to come in and succeed. Do you think it’s a total rebuild like summer 2014 after administration/relegation? With our main stand falling apart? Started with only 8 players contracted including Brad McKay and Jordan McGhee? 

We’ve come a long way under Levein-Budge, we’ve now got the players, youth setup, stadium and overall infrastructure to get results. You can’t deny credit for that. 

A good manager is now one of the last piece of the jigsaw. 

That’s the way I see it anyway, I am grateful for Leveins hard work over the last 5 years, but there comes a time when you need new blood at the helm, that time is now. 

👍🏻

2 minutes ago, jumpship said:

Im not going to vote yet,  the next three games could change everyone's mind, I know we have been here before, the next game things will get better and so on. 

We have Motherwell, a team we have already beaten this season. But the two bigger games will be H1b5 and the sheep in the cup. If we beat both them  im sure this poll would turn in Levein's favour. Both massive games, a very poor h1b5, but they will be up for it  being a derby. Can, levein get his players up for that game. Then we have the sheep in the cup and the last 4. 

It is too late for Levein. Last season stalled, it has carried onto this season. Strange subs, players not fit enough, tactics not working. Defensively poor, not enough of an attacking threat. "It'll come good" is just blind belief based on nothing at this stage. The man is killing the club now, he has to go.

6 hours ago, It should have been ten said:

Actually never made a big deal out of it, just pointing out it’s a bit disrespectful. That ok with you? 

The way you are lashing out sounds like you are hurting pretty bad. Hope everything is ok, it’s just a game after all x

My Dundee United supporter mates rate Levein and are grateful to him for sorting out their club before the Thompson asset stripping. Although Levein is going through a hellish time with us a small part of me still thinks he could oversee good things as DOF. With another manager in charge though. 

Not hugely confident of this now though! 

12 hours ago, leginten said:

That much was absolutely clear. It always has been the case. Give the support a glimmer of something to cheer and they’re right behind the team. Hasn’t stopped some absolute ***** from trying to suggest that lack of support from the stands has in some way impacted on our performances over the last two years. Shameful.

Tell that to Christophe Berra.

Shameful indeed.

13 hours ago, Longshanks said:

An experienced manager wouldn't work with him, hence why even billy Davies said our 'structure' was untenable. We need a clean break 

Billy Davies said our structure was untenable for Billy Davies because Billy Davies had zero chance of being in that structure. 

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

For those saying he should continue as DoF, how many managers are going to come in and work under their predecessor?

As far as Director of Football goes, if you strip out any first team involvement, is it not really just oversight of the Academy?

In which case is Roger Arnott not doing an excellent job in that role at present for a fraction of the cost that Levein would incur.

An experience First Team Manager is more than capable of dealing with contract negotiations.

Stephen Muddie
4 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Think option B where you are concerned.

And you’re exactly the type of poster the ignore function was designed for, bye bye. 

See ya, ya *****

33 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Levein will never give a new Manager full autonomy - as long as he remains his negative influence will continue to cast a dark shadow over the Club.

He is hugely unpopular throughout the game with his peers and no experienced Manager worth his salt will ever work under him.

He has to go!

I don't buy that at all. Just saying. 

That's your opinion and apparently the opinion voiced by others, but I reject it personally, and I think many others would too. 

What solid evidence is held against Levein in terms of 'tinkering'?

As DoF he's overseen two rookie managers, then he's overseen himself. Try not 'tinkering' in any of those contexts... 

Up there in the evidence column against Levein are the remarks spoken in third-person by Billy Davies when Billy Davies turned down the opportunity that he wasn't offered...  

Also, little bits of rumour surrounding Robbie Nielson, a man who the Club's own support hounded out of the Club, and who left to accept a golden opportunity in England...

Actually, I think much of the personality attacks and anti-Levein rhetoric is bandwagon-jumping from folk who really don't know what is going on, but need an easy and polarised view to latch onto.

Under Levein's tenure to date. 

Apart from a few games vs Celtic, and the odd game here or there (very sporadically.) 

How many of us can honestly say on walking out of Tynecastle "what a game that was." Or " That was thoroughly entertaining today." 

All I hear is moaning, and groans of how shit was that! 

How often can you say you have been on the edge of your seat. 

I voted for him to go in all capacities. For the reason being as others have said. I don't think many people would want to work with him still in a DoF role, or there in some capacity where he can still have his say.

He's yesterdays coach/manager. 

Yes I admire and I'm grateful for what he has done with the academy and with what contacts he has within the game. 

However. Who is to say, the next person who comes in won't have their contacts, or keep the status quo the club has with other teams. Everyone knows how fantastic our facilities are. The facilities are not Craig Levein. 

Levein can't get any more out of this team. It's been easy to see for way too long now. He has tried different formations, and as many keep saying. He has tinkered constantly. It just isn't happening. 

No more "he needs time to fix it." He's had over 2 seasons to fix it. Along with what is honestly a woeful current run of results. 

I'd ask. If he was in his DoF role. Would he have sacked his manager in this current run? 

His time as head coach/manager of the club has truly ran it's course. 

We need a new man in that needs to have FULL control of first team affairs. We have what I personally think is a very good squad of players here. One that is under achieving massively. 

A New manager with different ideas would put a huge boost of confidence into not only the players, but in the stands as well. 

If the product on the park is producing the goods. The fans go away happy and continue coming back week after week. The exact opposite of what is currently happening right now. The place is toxic. Going into the latter stages of yesterday's game. The word was loud and clear. That's not just one or two voices anymore. 

10 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Pointless. Within 24 hours this poll will be in favour of levein in some form. Employees, fake members on here etc will be on to vote as they always do.

The real fans made their voices clear at the game today.

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

Edited by redjambo

A_A wehatethehibs

I’m sure everyone knows that there is only one realistic scenario where levein goes back upstairs and that is Robbie Neilson coming back in as head coach. 

1 hour ago, TheStig said:

28 people still want him to remain wow, if they are genuine hearts fans and not people trolling i am lost for words. Do you actually enjoy your team being a laughing stock?

I imagine that, unless they're trolling, they just think that things will get better in the long term and that it's worth holding out for that time to arrive. It's not a viewpoint that I particularly share, but it's a valid one.

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I voted for him to remain as dof but that's a fair point ! For reason you gave it might be better if he just 100% departs and let new guy bring his own coaching staff etc 

27 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

Tell that to Christophe Berra.

Shameful indeed.

Hoofing the ball hopelessly to the Hamilton centre backs twice in the first ten minutes after receiving it in acres of space wasn’t providing the crowd with a glimmer of anything to cheer. It was the polar opposite - the embodiment of the kind of utter shite we have been served up and tolerated patiently for the last two years. It hasn’t been addressed by the management, therefore some of the supporters are, very belatedly, expressing a degree of dissatisfaction. Probably too little, too late. 

Hope you got a kick out of applauding the hoofs.

Edited by leginten

1 minute ago, leginten said:

Hoofing the ball hopelessly to the Hamilton centre backs twice in the first ten minutes after receiving the ball in acres of space wasn’t providing the crowd with a glimmer of anything to cheer. It was the polar opposite - the embodiment of the kind of utter shite we have been served up and tolerated patiently for the last two years. It hasn’t been addressed by the management, therefore some of the supporters are, very belatedly, expressing a degree of dissatisfaction. Probably too little, too late. 

Hope you got a kick out of applauding the hoofs.

The "fans" were on his back right from the off.

Hope you get a kick out of booing your own team.

10 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

I don't buy that at all. Just saying. 

That's your opinion and apparently the opinion voiced by others, but I reject it personally, and I think many others would too. 

What solid evidence is held against Levein in terms of 'tinkering'?

As DoF he's overseen two rookie managers, then he's overseen himself. Try not 'tinkering' in any of those contexts... 

Up there in the evidence column against Levein are the remarks spoken in third-person by Billy Davies when Billy Davies turned down the opportunity that he wasn't offered...  

Also, little bits of rumour surrounding Robbie Nielson, a man who the Club's own support hounded out of the Club, and who left to accept a golden opportunity in England...

Actually, I think much of the personality attacks and anti-Levein rhetoric is bandwagon-jumping from folk who really don't know what is going on, but need an easy and polarised view to latch onto.

I’m not just talking about “tinkering” I’m referring to Levein’s arrogant and dominating demeanour at the Club - it’s his way or the highway - and his way is failing!

You don’t have to jump on any bandwagon if you have attended games - no wins in 11 league games and eye bleeding football for all to see!

1 minute ago, Spoleto said:

No they weren’t - the fans vocally supported the team well in the first half.

It was only in the last shambolic 15 minutes or so that the Levein Out chants rang through the stadium!

Just now, Spoleto said:

I didn’t boo. But I don’t blame people who boo hoofball now - it has been going on too long. 

I was in the Gorgie stand and no-one around me was on Berra’s case from kick-off. Maybe you sit in the wrong part of the stadium.

2 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

No they weren’t - the fans vocally supported the team well in the first half.

It was only in the last shambolic 15 minutes or so that the Levein Out chants rang through the stadium!

The atmosphere was terrible yesterday. 

Stephen Muddie
2 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Infantile stuff

Of course. But then so is ignoring posters who have differences to you. Why are you even getting involved? I woke up this morning to an abusive post. I said cheerio to a guaranteed *****. Now you're here to pass judgement? Why?

Edited by Stephen Muddie

Just now, Jambo_Gaz said:

The atmosphere was terrible yesterday. 

Mot was horrendous in the last 15 minutes or so - the fans have had enough of Levein!