*****New Craig Levein Poll 31/08*****

Whatever

*****New Craig Levein Poll 31/08*****  

1,302 members have voted

1. 1. Should craig Levein....

• Remain in position as head coach and director of football
    • Leave/be removed from his role as head coach but remain at the club as Director of football
    • Leave/be removed from his role as director of football but remain at the club as head coach
    • Leave/be removed from the club completely

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Pasquale for King

• 1874robbo

• Jambo-Fox

43 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

It’s over. Straw that broke the camel’s back or any other figure of speech you choose to use 😞

Indeed Frank, it’s sad, but if we can’t beat Hamilton at home after giving him another chance after Ross County, we can’t afford to let it go any longer. 🤷‍♂️

Get him out of the head coach's role. The ross co game and today is the final straw for me. Surely no one now has any excuses for him?

Although we are not fan ran, we are fan owned. At least 90% of fans want him him out now. Do the honourable thing and re-sign NOW.

Sad to say that it’s time for him to leave. It’s clear that us as a support want change, results are what’s important and we are not getting them. Club legend and all and hope he leaves before things turn too nasty towards him. Would be happy for him to stay as the club as academy director but not involved in 1st team, failing that then he has to go altogether. Thanks though for your time and efforts but time is up. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
21 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Yes it’s a bit more respectful 

Maybe you could be a little more respectful to posters on this board in that case.

1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

:lol:

you're informed enough to say we need a new manager but you've declared pretty much no ones informed enough for other stuff :rofl:

neither mrs B nor levein himself thinks we need a new manager thanks for keeping us  right farmer on all things important 👍

you must be in Mensa with Gail 

Firstly, I don't know who Gail is!

Secondly, Levein is in charge of first team matters. The first team isn't performing, and hasn't for quite some time.  I don't know for sure whether it's all down to tactics, team selection, motivation, training methods, or a combination of all of these factors and maybe other factors too, but given that Levein is in charge of all of this stuff, and it isn't (and hasn't been for a long time) working, it seems clear to me that he's not up to the job.  If you disagree with that and think Levein is still the man to manage the club, fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, but I personally can't see how we could be as poor as we have been for as long as we have been with him in charge and then see a turnaround with him still in charge!

Thirdly, I'm not saying MacPhee or any of the other members of the coaching or scouting staff are, or are not, good at their jobs, and should, or should not, be retained.  I'm simply pointing out that when it comes to individuals working under a failing manager, any or all of them could be very good or very bad at their own individual jobs, and it would be very difficult for any of us to really be able to tell. It's possible that MAcPhee gets the players doing some great work on the training ground and ready to play great stuff in matches, but then Levein gives the players tactical instructions and motivational talks that suck the life out of everyone, in which case Levein needs to go, but MacPhee could be a real asset for a new manager. Alternatively, MacPhee could be getting the players doing stuff in training that screws their heads up so badly they simply can't function when an actual match comes around.  In that case, MacPhee needs to go, but Levein is still culpable as he's in charge overall, and responsible for MacPhee doing what he's doing in the first place, and Levein therefore still needs to go too, given how long MacPhee has been working for him!

So, to sum up (and if this is too difficult for you to grasp, don't feel bad about it, everyone has their limits!), Levein is in charge of first team matters and the first team has been badly underperforming for so long now that if he could sort it out, he most probably would have by no.  This means that he really has to go BUT each of the individual people that have been working under him during this lengthy period of underperformance may or may not actually be good at their individual jobs, and may or may not be well worth retaining by the next manager (if Levein does go). Even if all of the problems are actually caused by one or more of the coaches working under Levein, he'd still be culpable given how long things have been going badly under this whole setup, as the setup is down to him.  Again, as an example, MacPhee is assistant to Michael O'Neill in the Northern Ireland setup, and they've been pretty successful over the last few years. If MacPhee was a useless clown, you'd think O'Neill might have got rid of him, or more likely the NI team would have done much more poorly than they have. 

46 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Because it's a naive strategy with a lot of potential flaws. Heart of Midlothian shouldn't be a training camp for football managers, we should be employing the absolute best we can, and the only way to know that's the case is to have an open application for the top job every single time. We shouldn't operate like some sort of monarchy with automatic succession.

Has any other football club employed this strategy successfully? 

You're quite right with the bit in bold, but that doesn't describe us! The whole 'boot room' thing, as described by Levein, was to develop young coaches within the club, and give them the chance to progress as and when they were deemed ready to do so.  As of now, we've had two changes of head coach/manager since the initial structure was put in place (i.e Levein as DoF and Neilson as Head Coach), and on both occasions, the club have decided that promoting someone from within the existing coaching team is not the correct option to take.  I'm not saying we've necessarily made the correct appointments on either occasion (let's face it, we haven't!) but we haven't used the so-called 'boot room' strategy either time, so it's a bit odd to be arguing that we should ditch a strategy that we haven't actually employed in the first place!

It should have been ten
42 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Maybe you could be a little more respectful to posters on this board in that case.

Ahahahahahahaha oh ma sides :rofl:

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, It should have been ten said:

Ahahahahahahaha oh ma sides :rofl:

So double standards define you. Good to know.

What a waste of 2 years. In fact, what a waste of getting on towards 3 years. So much goodwill chucked away. Sad. 

It should have been ten
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

So double standards define you. Good to know.

Gie yersel peace honestly. Away and troll someone else.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, It should have been ten said:

Gie yersel peace honestly. Away and troll someone else.

You're the one bringing up irrelevant shite like posting Budge's first name. Dry your eyes.

Stephen Muddie
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Would genuinely like to hear more from the stay as both head coach and DOF guys. Lot of names there I wouldn't have expected. Assumed it would all be hibs trolls. 

Simply think we've missed our opportunity. 

Or I was trolling the rage-filled MeMeMe's. You decide.

It should have been ten
20 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

You're the one bringing up irrelevant shite like posting Budge's first name. Dry your eyes.

Unlike yours, my eyes are dry. You obviously have no respect for an older lady who has done wonders for this football club. You’re not the only one though, I’ll give you that. 

Edited by It should have been ten

Hearts have failed for a number of games theres no getting round that but one thing we can say is that our stongest squad what ever your choice is, every player has good quality talent even the keepers we are still gelling as a team and our strongest line. Everyone is angry at  our proformances but for the managment they are moving in the right direction we all need to support oir team as i couldnt pick better players for our budget we have a team that when settled will go far. Lets stop this puttting our team down and lets get behind them. When hearts have tyncastle full support we win games and make teams fear us lets get that back we need a manger who wants the best fir us leven is only humman let him go intill he gives up and if he dose wel see what happens its only a matter of time befor shiit pays off for all this stress 

NIGHT

8 minutes ago, LoudMouths said:

Hearts have failed for a number of games theres no getting round that but one thing we can say is that our stongest squad what ever your choice is, every player has good quality talent even the keepers we are still gelling as a team and our strongest line. Everyone is angry at  our proformances but for the managment they are moving in the right direction we all need to support oir team as i couldnt pick better players for our budget we have a team that when settled will go far. Lets stop this puttting our team down and lets get behind them. When hearts have tyncastle full support we win games and make teams fear us lets get that back we need a manger who wants the best fir us leven is only humman let him go intill he gives up and if he dose wel see what happens its only a matter of time befor shiit pays off for all this stress 

NIGHT

Not many people are putting our team down, in fact most are saying we have a very capable team, it’s just that they are underperforming for whatever reason, and sadly that reason seems to be Levein and his set up 😕. I don’t like managers losing jobs and especially club legends but it’s at a point now that he has lost the support and quite possibly the dressing room. It’s time to freshen things up. 

I'd keep him, but only as academy director or a similar position. Fantastic job getting done with the youth teams and some real talent coming through, which he deserves credit for, but no involvement in first team, or influence for that matter. 

I'd keep Austin, as he really is incredible with his knowledge and his post match analysis is unreal. I can see him as an ideal DOF. He has also been the main one influencing our better signings, (M.Smith, Lafferty, Washington, Whelan, Meshino, Hughes, Burns, Mulraney & Halkett are proof of this) 

Daly, Fox & Gallagher can bolt though. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
30 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Unlike yours, my eyes are dry. You obviously have no respect for an older women who has done wonders for this football club. You’re not the only one though, I’ll give you that. 

Jesus wept! I'm sure she appreciates you defending her honour! :rolleyes:

33 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Unlike yours, my eyes are dry. You obviously have no respect for an older lady who has done wonders for this football club. You’re not the only one though, I’ll give you that. 

Plenty of people on this Forum respect Mrs Budge and appreciate the work she has done. Why make such a big deal out of the fact he used her surname rather than forename?

6 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

I'd keep him, but only as academy director or a similar position. Fantastic job getting done with the youth teams and some real talent coming through, which he deserves credit for, but no involvement in first team, or influence for that matter. 

I'd keep Austin, as he really is incredible with his knowledge and his post match analysis is unreal. I can see him as an ideal DOF. He has also been the main one influencing our better signings, (M.Smith, Lafferty, Washington, Whelan, Meshino, Hughes, Burns, Mulraney & Halkett are proof of this) 

Do you think Levein would be willing to accept a job as Academy Director only? Would be a bit of a step down from DOF / First Team Manager.

It should have been ten
3 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Plenty of people on this Forum respect Mrs Budge and appreciate the work she has done. Why make such a big deal out of the fact he used her surname rather than forename?

Actually never made a big deal out of it, just pointing out it’s a bit disrespectful. That ok with you? 

It should have been ten
10 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Jesus wept! I'm sure she appreciates you defending her honour! :rolleyes:

I’m sure she will :thumbsup:

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

I'm presuming alcohol has been consumed and he needed to lash out. Given where he voted it's understandable.

8 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Comically, he's completely unaware of how sexist he's being.

It should have been ten
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I'm presuming alcohol has been consumed and he needed to lash out. Given where he voted it's understandable.

C7A5FA83-4996-4F79-9BB5-DD11580D070B.jpeg.cbe7120d9f5be156ebc7987908fb0e24.jpeg

It should have been ten
Just now, shaun.lawson said:

Comically, he's completely unaware of how sexist he's being.

Aye ok 😂😂😂

16 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

It's Dr Budge.  Kindly show a little more respect!

Gone completely and do what Man Utd did and bring in a new manager till the end of the season.  He would know that a permanent contract would be based on his level of success.

For me, that manager would be Paulo.  Knows the club and wouldn't be facing the restraints of his first term.  McPhee also to go.

Bottom line is, he has to go.  3 points out of the last 33 is a scandal. Al Least 2 of those 3 points were extremely fortunate.

1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

Gone completely and do what Man Utd did and bring in a new manager till the end of the season.  He would know that a permanent contract would be based on his level of success.

For me, that manager would be Paulo.  Knows the club and wouldn't be facing the restraints of his first term.  McPhee also to go.

Bottom line is, he has to go.  3 points out of the last 33 is a scandal. Al Least 2 of those 3 points were extremely fortunate.

OK, so you want us to follow the Man Utd model of managerial succession?

How have their results gone since the temp manager became the permanent manager?  We'd have been calling for his head long before now if it happened at Hearts.

2 minutes ago, RobNox said:

OK, so you want us to follow the Man Utd model of managerial succession?

How have their results gone since the temp manager became the permanent manager?  We'd have been calling for his head long before now if it happened at Hearts.

Not great but it doesnt follow that would apply to Sergio.  It's just what I think.

42 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

That's exactly where I'm at.

Talk of getting rid of him completely just means we not only need to appoint a new manager/head coach, but find someone else to oversee the wider footballing operation.  I believe he still has a lot to offer in that regard, but I totally agree that there should be a clear demarcation of responsibilities and that if Levein is retained in some capacity, he should have no influence, and be seen to have no influence, over first team affairs.

I'm hoping that the review of footballing operations that Ann referred to in her recent statement, allied to the general unrest amongst fans at the on field performances, will lead to changes that benefit the club going forward, without throwing the baby out with the bathwater, if you pardon the cliche!

I’m home and away all the way (parkhead and ibrox aside) but I’ll not be back now until he is away. I will continue my pledges but I’ll not be back now until he removes his toxic useless backside from the dugout, Enoughs Enough

Ann Budge is in danger of ruining her legacy now. Act please ffs. He’s lost the crowd today and he is incapable of winning it back. Don’t ruin our season

Edited by 1971fozzy

4 hours ago, It should have been ten said:

Yes it’s a bit more respectful 

This is football, surnames and nicknames are how it is done. Unless you think she deserves special treatment? Is there anyone at our club past and present who gets the full name treatment? "Levein" for example.

1 hour ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Other people have been named by last name only, why is this such an issue? 

She is sacred in the eyes of some. He would not want to know how me and my pals refer to her I assure you that.

Geoff Kilpatrick
9 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

This is football, surnames and nicknames are how it is done. Unless you think she deserves special treatment? Is there anyone at our club past and present who gets the full name treatment? "Levein" for example.

Leave him alone. He's tired and emotional as he is now into "defend the indefensible" mode.

Allowayjambo1874
3 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

Simply think we've missed our opportunity. 

Or I was trolling the rage-filled MeMeMe's. You decide.

Think option B where you are concerned.

And you’re exactly the type of poster the ignore function was designed for, bye bye. 

4 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

F.a.o. Dr. Ann Budge

Dear Mrs Budge

Please do this.

Yours sincerely etc.

kingantti1874

I’m broadly with you on this daza, on Austin I’ll take your word for it mate but why does his analysis not show that we do the basic things terribly, we never have any urgency, 95% of the time we just stroll around the pitch, the never any movement of the ball, our midfield constantly look shit but the real problem is no one moves into space or wants the ball. 

our first goal today came from a player spotting there was a gap to run into, 99% of the time we ignore space and go for easy, meaningless passes to almost stationary players.. it drives me mental

Gordon Ramsay

I'm sorry but no. 

Levein and Austin are just as culpable as the other 3 tits. 

They all need to go and they can take that joke of a medical team with them. 

Full clear out required. This is beyond fixable. We are weak beyond belief and the buck stops with the manager and his assistant. 

This is nowhere near good enough and hasn't been for a long time. 

The whole squad needs a ****ing rocket. 

10 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Better poll. 👍🏼

Went for “Back to DoF.”

I am happy for him to be DoF. I don’t think he should ever have stepped out of the role. He still is a key player at Hearts and will be the reason for our success in the future for his role as DoF.

In all honesty, I’d personally give him the Motherwell and Hibs games, win or bust because I think he could still turn it around, but at the next home game v Motherwell the supports not going to get behind the team in a manner which is helpful to the players on the pitch, so what’s the point? 

It’s pretty much past the point of no return for most folk now. It’s done. The board should ask him to relinquish his duties as manager and go back to full time DoF for the good of the club.

10 hours ago, RobNox said:

I'd go with option 2, but with the caveat that we appoint an experienced head coach / manager and that the DOF role excludes any day to day involvement or influence over the first team. 

This.

Jambof3tornado
6 hours ago, PnG said:

Heartening to see most people getting this right.

Still too many keen for him to remain as dof. At that point we have a puppet in the dugout. His role should focus on the academy. Its what he is best at.

Geoff Kilpatrick

For those saying he should continue as DoF, how many managers are going to come in and work under their predecessor?

20 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Still too many keen for him to remain as dof. At that point we have a puppet in the dugout. His role should focus on the academy. Its what he is best at.

Is the DOF not the one that's in charge of the academy? I thought it was and that's why I voted him to stay in that role. I dont want him near the first team he's done enough damage. 

27 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

For those saying he should continue as DoF, how many managers are going to come in and work under their predecessor?

That won’t be a problem if we continue the model they want of promoting from within.

thats my worry!!!

10 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Is the DOF not the one that's in charge of the academy? I thought it was and that's why I voted him to stay in that role. I dont want him near the first team he's done enough damage. 

Who oversees first team affairs and looks for new signings etc?

DOF plays a very big part in first team planning which is why a lot of mangers don’t like working under one although some managers say they like it.