Whelan at the end today

tartofmidlothian

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Or the free header he had, where it looked easier to score.

Aye. 

I hope he scores from open play soon. 

His work outside the box and touches are gravy, but we need strikers to score. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shanks

• GinRummy

• The Treasurer

• Gards

2 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Same.  If you think Whelan had a good game today then ****ing hell what chance do we have. 

All my original point was that he wasn't 'different class' 

Whelan had a good game.  Doesn't mean him having a good game is enough to beat Hamilton.  We need the other 10 to have good games and they didn't.

I get your point about the different class but then you're turning that into him not have a good game - that's where we disagree.

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye. 

I hope he scores from open play soon. 

His work outside the box and touches are gravy, but we need strikers to score. 

Different forum tonight if Washington scores at 2-1. Small margins sometimes.. 

1 minute ago, Gards said:

Whelan had a good game.  Doesn't mean him having a good game is enough to beat Hamilton.  We need the other 10 to have good games and they didn't.

I get your point about the different class but then you're turning that into him not have a good game - that's where we disagree.

No problem at all, I'd be disappointed if that is a good game for whelan but I understand where you are coming from.  I suppose that is where we disagree! I just want to see us actually win a game in the league as it's getting a bit embarrassing now. 

alwaysthereinspirit
55 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

I actually thought he was very average today.  He should have been scampering down the tunnel with the rest of the losers, he didn't stand out for me at all. 

Just because in your eyes he was average doesn’t mean he can’t applaud the people who pay his salary. WT actual is wrong with people?

Just now, Longshanks said:

No problem at all, I'd be disappointed if that is a good game for whelan but I understand where you are coming from.  I suppose that is where we disagree! I just want to see us actually win a game in the league as it's getting a bit embarrassing now. 

No disagreement there!

59 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

I actually thought he was very average today.  He should have been scampering down the tunnel with the rest of the losers, he didn't stand out for me at all. 

Seriously...I do wonder what some people watch. He maybe tired a bit in the last 20 minutes, however he was fantastic for the most part. Tremendous first touch, always in the right place, crisp passing, always picking the right pass, breaking up play, calm in possession...he was clearly a class above everyone else on the park.

Whelan was posted missing in the second half.

Sean Clare was outstanding until making way for Ryo who shouldn't have been thrown into this game. Naismith should have been on instead. 

AlphonseCapone
57 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

He looked several levels above most on the pitch. Like an adult playing in a kids match for some of it.

Correct. Anyone who thinks otherwise knows **** all about football. Probably the same roasters that boo when the ball isn't passed forward every single pass. 

50 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Yea suppose so.  I guess he just couldn't be bothered in the second half as he had shown how good he was in the first half.  

He's some player, his first half performance managed to drag us to a home draw with Hamilton, only real football players can see his quality though and what he brings to our brilliant team 

Why you so butthurt about Glen Whelan? 

Good first half. Fell out of the game in the 2nd half which is disappointing as he’d be one you’d think you could rely on a d drag us through it if required.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

You would have thought it was his last home game. 😄

Still could be, the window’s still open!

Interestingly, most of the good stuff we produced went through him.  Calm and composed, he at least tried to get us moving.

42 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Same.  If you think Whelan had a good game today then ****ing hell what chance do we have. 

Whelan is a classy player. Bossed it in the first half, like a lot of them though struggled 2nd half. 

1 hour ago, Longshanks said:

Really? Why?  I'm struggling to see what he brought to a hearts team at home to Hamilton today. 

Class act. 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

As soon as Souttars back I'd be dropping Berra, IMO that leaves Whelan and Naismith candidates for captaincy, given Naismith now struggling to give us 90 minutes, I'd say Whelan for captain.

Halkett for me. A leader. 

Corstorphine Jambo

I thought Whelan had, along with Irving, a very good first half. Always available, he kept things ticking along nicely. I’m hopeful he will be a good player for Hearts this season.

I felt the the confidence drained from the whole team when they lost that shambolic first equaliser. Most around me were generally happy with the first 45 minutes so to start the second half like that was particularly disappointing.

27 minutes ago, Hercules said:

Halkett for me. A leader. 

Tbh I was going to say Halkett, I think though with Naisy & Whelans experience its hard not to give them it. If Halkett is going to be a mainstay in our team then absolutely. 

I would like to see him secured for longer though. If by the end of the season we could get him on a seriously long deal then I would give him captaincy. He's on a 3 year deal as things stand so by the end of this season that would leave 2 years left. I'd be wanting him to sign a 3 year extension tbh. 

Not sure how reasonable that is but would certainly be vote of confidence for the lad and secure ourselves a captain for the foreseeable future.

It’s the difference with being a real professional and him staying back applauding and sympathising with the support after one home match whilst the other players make a beeline for the tunnel 

well played 

Whelan was the best player on the park, in my opinion. I did not think it was a game for Henderson though, experience was needed in this one, his opportunity will come in time.

Weakened Offender

Saw this at the end of the match and thought it was very classy. He could easily have trudged up the tunnel.

3 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

Yep I was watching him especially in the first half and he played really well. I suppose you need to be a footballer to appreciate how well he played. 

No you don't, I thought he played well along with Halkett and Clare and I was shite at football.

Edited by graygo

3 hours ago, Longshanks said:

Really? Why?  I'm struggling to see what he brought to a hearts team at home to Hamilton today. 

Really? He bossed it? Against a HAMILTON team we scraped a draw with? 

He didn't stand out for me at all, has a brilliant sideways pass on him though. 

So what did he do? Against Hamilton? 

He was different class today :lol: ****ing hell.

Yea suppose so.  I guess he just couldn't be bothered in the second half as he had shown how good he was in the first half.  

He's some player, his first half performance managed to drag us to a home draw with Hamilton, only real football players can see his quality though and what he brings to our brilliant team 

I'm not, I pulled up a poster that said he was 'different class'.

Do you honestly think his performance today was different class?  He didn't stand out above Irvine for me today and I thought he was very average.  He's a player that played numerous games for a championship side last year and I feel he didn't stand out at all. 

I must have missed his different class performance, tell me what I missed? 

He was solid

He has experience

He shouted at other players... 

Genuinely if his name was bozanic folk would be saying he had a shit game today.

2 hours ago, Longshanks said:

2 hours ago, Longshanks said:

Do you not like Whelan? Did he shag your wife or something?

3 hours ago, combo74 said:

Seriously...I do wonder what some people watch. He maybe tired a bit in the last 20 minutes, however he was fantastic for the most part. Tremendous first touch, always in the right place, crisp passing, always picking the right pass, breaking up play, calm in possession...he was clearly a class above everyone else on the park.

I agree with this his experience stuck out a mile

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Different forum tonight if Washington scores at 2-1. Small margins sometimes.. 

It is, but Ffs just score. 

If we go 2-0 or 3-1 we add a few more. 

But we didn't and it's too long since we did. 

We're on the edge, but how long is the edge? 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, graygo said:

No you don't, I thought he played well along with Halkett and Clare and I was shite at football.

Same here... 

42 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Thh I didn’t like it. Felt like he was sucking up to the fans behind the back of his teammates

Yes, that is exactly what he was doing. 

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

Thh I didn’t like it. Felt like he was sucking up to the fans behind the back of his teammates

They should have done the same thing. It was a classy move. Remember 05/06, every game our players would do that

As for Whelan, good first half. I felt at times the second half some laziness entered his game, but he ended it well. He is clearly a good footballer and his pass for the disallowed goal was a beaut 

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

He wouldn’t have been behind their backs if they had also stayed after to say thank you. And sorry.

Stephen Muddie
6 hours ago, Longshanks said:

I must have missed his different class performance, tell me what I missed? 

1. His perfectly weighted chip pass to Washington that created the chance for our disallowed goal. I nearly fell off my seat because kickbackers told me he could only pass sideways and backwards. I sat in silent rage for a moment before unleashing an expletive-laden tirade at the *****, for trying to act smart.

13 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Still could be, the window’s still open!

Interestingly, most of the good stuff we produced went through him.  Calm and composed, he at least tried to get us moving.

I thought he was decent but our overall midfield disappeared in the second half. 

8 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

They should have done the same thing. It was a classy move. Remember 05/06, every game our players would do that

As for Whelan, good first half. I felt at times the second half some laziness entered his game, but he ended it well. He is clearly a good footballer and his pass for the disallowed goal was a beaut 

8 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

He wouldn’t have been behind their backs if they had also stayed after to say thank you. And sorry.

Nah, not for me. The atmosphere was pretty poisonous. I was raging. I had no interest in applauding any of the players. Would rather see him head straight up the tunnel to get involved in the arse-kicking  that was hopefully taking place in the changing room.

6 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Nah, not for me. The atmosphere was pretty poisonous. I was raging. I had no interest in applauding any of the players. Would rather see him head straight up the tunnel to get involved in the arse-kicking  that was hopefully taking place in the changing room.

Funny? he was roundly applauded by those still in the stadium, they , including me, seemed to appreciate the gesture,and the way it was delivered.

Stephen Muddie
27 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Funny? he was roundly applauded by those still in the stadium, they , including me, seemed to appreciate the gesture,and the way it was delivered.

I took it as "I care about helping fix this situation and will do my best to do so" however, can't help seeing Frank's point above about it potentially being viewed as un-unified/sucking up by some.

Personally, if I'd been on that pitch busting a gut, I'd maybe have been too raging at the end to do anything but go straight inside to get changed/face the post-mortem.

Edited by Stephen Muddie

Not a single Hearts player was "different class"

Perhaps Andy Irving was in the first half but faded badly in the second. 

15 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

Maybe he was trying to stay out of the dressing room for as long as possible coz he knew they were about to be roasted!

Wonder if they did get roasted? 

Doubt it tbh

I missed yesterday and haven't seen him yet, but this thread reminds me that many Hearts fans didn't rate or appreciate Scott Severin.

Based on no evidence whatsoever, I'm inclined to believe those who think he played well yesterday.

2 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

I took it as "I care about helping fix this situation and will do my best to do so" however, can't help seeing Frank's point above about it potentially being viewed as un-unified/sucking up by some.

Personally, if I'd been on that pitch busting a gut, I'd maybe have been too raging at the end to do anything but go straight inside to get changed/face the post-mortem.

This 👍🏻

13 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Think that’s a bit harsh is it not? 

Absolute Scenes

Not lot of positives but anyone who thinks Whelan didn’t have a good game needs to let go a wee bit. The guy has obvious class and talent 

1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Not lot of positives but anyone who thinks Whelan didn’t have a good game needs to let go a wee bit. The guy has obvious class and talent 

He did not have a good game..he was average..not bad but average

Absolute Scenes
5 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

He did not have a good game..he was average..not bad but average

Opinions of course mate, I just saw a lot on him yesterday that encouraged me

Edited by Absolute Scenes

3 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Opinions of course mate, I just saw a lot on him yesterday that encouraged me

Agree with this, thought his class showed and he did exactly what he was in the team to do. Pity some of the others didn’t. 🤬

Fly the Saltire

Glenn Whelan outstanding for Ireland this evening.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ireland-1-switzerland-1-ireland-player-ratings-1.4009423?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

6 Glenn Whelan

Was sometimes left isolated in the midfield as Hendrick and Hourihane got forward but he coped well and got back to clear a dangerous cross in the six yard box late on. Also nearly equalised with a spectacular strike from 25 yards which pinged the crossbar and eventually led to McGoldrick’s goal. Rating: 8.

Glenn Whelan hits the bar with a shot late on. Photo: Tommy Dickson/Inpho Glenn Whelan hits the bar with a shot late on. Photo: Tommy Dickson/Inpho

Watched the second half and in particular Whelan, played well never wasted a pass and always wants to keep the ball moving and hit a screamer  off the bar a couple of minutes before they equalised. 

3 hours ago, Last Laff said:

How on earth did we manage to get the boy in?  Outstanding business.

I agree. He’s going to be a key player for us. 

Held his own last night against one of the best international sides in the world.  Makes a big difference when you have a strong defence behind you (Duffy and Keogh were superb).