Whelan at the end today

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

I liked the way he was last off the pitch and stayed behind to applaud the fans today, it says a lot about the guy. He played well too, in a very unglamorous role.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shanks

• GinRummy

• The Treasurer

• Gards

SomethingAboutObua

Got quite the applause for doing it too. Surprised no one else saw it and did it with him tbh. 

His first half I thought was really good, unfortunately second I think covering defence and trying to counter attack wasn’t really his best type of game at his age   

1 minute ago, tartofmidlothian said:

I liked the way he was last off the pitch and stayed behind to applaud the fans today, it says a lot about the guy. He played well too, in a very unglamorous role.

Agreed thought it was a brave gesture when everyone else was running for cover.

Shame there were so few fans left to see it

I actually thought he was very average today.  He should have been scampering down the tunnel with the rest of the losers, he didn't stand out for me at all. 

2 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

I actually thought he was very average today.  He should have been scampering down the tunnel with the rest of the losers, he didn't stand out for me at all. 

Best player on the park today by a country mile.

1 minute ago, Longshanks said:

Part of a collective failure to take control of the game. There are other threads praising some players but saying the team was shit. 

The whole team needs to take responsibility for that second half and make sure it doesn't happen again.

1 minute ago, Deevers said:

Really? Why?  I'm struggling to see what he brought to a hearts team at home to Hamilton today. 

Jambof3tornado
5 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Shite. Excellent 1st half. Bossed it.

Harry Potter
9 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Yeh noticed the rest of them skulked off down the tunnel sharpish 

Skulked,  ha ha, how well described.

1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Shite. Excellent 1st half. Bossed it.

Really? He bossed it? Against a HAMILTON team we scraped a draw with? 

He didn't stand out for me at all, has a brilliant sideways pass on him though. 

3fingersreid

He said in hospitality that he didn’t like drawing or losing games  , exactly the kind of attitude I like , if only that can be applied on the pitch now 

WheatfieldWarrior
2 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Maybe he was trying to stay out of the dressing room for as long as possible coz he knew they were about to be roasted!

Might have a point there.

Bazzas right boot

Really? Why?  I'm struggling to see what he brought to a hearts team at home to Hamilton today. 

I agree in part, however you can still have good Individual performances. 

I don't think Whelan stood out particularly , but especially in the first half his presence helped Clare and Irvine. 

Clare, Halkett and Washington were the only decent players today over the whole game imo. 

If Washington had scored the goal where he taken that lovely touch he would have been mom, but unfortunately not to be. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

As soon as Souttars back I'd be dropping Berra, IMO that leaves Whelan and Naismith candidates for captaincy, given Naismith now struggling to give us 90 minutes, I'd say Whelan for captain.

I though he was different class today. Good vision and passing. Hope the likes of him and some off the other Irish contingent can convince Martin O’neil To take Levein place. 

He was not the problem. The problem was yet again the skipper. Time he was dropped for his own good. Whelan actually had a pretty good game today.

been here before

I thought he was pretty pish today. Was quite surprised to hear he'd won one of the MOTM awards on the way out.

5 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Maybe he was trying to stay out of the dressing room for as long as possible coz he knew they were about to be roasted!

By who? 

3 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

He said in hospitality that he didn’t like drawing or losing games  , exactly the kind of attitude I like , if only that can be applied on the pitch now 

He needs to help raise standards. And the desire. 

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I don't think Whelan stood out particularly , but especially in the first half his presence helped Clare and Irvine. 

Clare, Halkett and Washington were the only decent players today over the whole game imo. 

If Washington had scored the goal where he taken that lovely touch he would have been mom, but unfortunately not to be. 

So what did he do? Against Hamilton? 

3fingersreid
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

He needs to help raise standards. And the desire. 

I think he’ll be a great help for young Irving 

All roads lead to Gorgie
5 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

I don't think we have a coaching team who roast the team enough. Too many poor performaces are being tolerated and there lies the problem. 

2 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

I though he was different class today. Good vision and passing. Hope the likes of him and some off the other Irish contingent can convince Martin O’neil To take Levein place. 

He was different class today :lol: ****ing hell.

Just now, Longshanks said:

He was different class today :lol: ****ing hell.

Yep I was watching him especially in the first half and he played really well. I suppose you need to be a footballer to appreciate how well he played. 

Just now, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I don't think we have a coaching team who roast the team enough. Too many poor performaces are being tolerated and there lies the problem. 

Agreed. I've been saying for a while now, Levein needs an older number 2. I don't think we have the coaching experience in that dressing room. Guys like JJ & BB made a good team because one of them could always roast the team when needed. Someone like Peter Houston could come in and offer that IMO, he's worked with Levein before and would help massively get things back on track. 

Although, now it looks like things have gone too far to have someone like that come in to help sort things and save face. I think we need a complete removal of Levein as Manager. Let someone experienced come in with his own guys and fix things. 

Oneneilberry
1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

Yep I was watching him especially in the first half and he played really well. I suppose you need to be a footballer to appreciate how well he played. 

Thought the whole team played pretty well first half ..shite to a man in the second half

10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Or the free header he had, where it looked easier to score.

Just now, Oneneilberry said:

Thought the whole team played pretty well first half ..shite to a man in the second half

Our defence were poor. Two stupid mistakes cost us. In fact we’re luck to get a draw as that shot the rattled of the underside of the bar would have sunk us. 

I’m also not sure about the goal for us that was chalked off for offside. Couldn’t tell from where

I was. 

17 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Sorry not for me. He was decent in first half but to say best player by a country mile is a gross exaggeration. Clare was best player in first half and probably shaded the best player on the day. That all said I like Whelan and there’s no doubt he can prove to be a very reliable and consistent performer. 

6 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Yea suppose so.  I guess he just couldn't be bothered in the second half as he had shown how good he was in the first half.  

He's some player, his first half performance managed to drag us to a home draw with Hamilton, only real football players can see his quality though and what he brings to our brilliant team 

Yea suppose so.  I guess he just couldn't be bothered in the second half as he had shown how good he was in the first half.  

He's some player, his first half performance managed to drag us to a home draw with Hamilton, only real football players can see his quality though and what he brings to our brilliant team 

It's not 1 (whelan) against 11 (Hamilton) so stop making those comparisons.  He had a solid performance today.  Probably top 2 or 3 of our players today.

if you didn't see that then fair enough - but stop expecting him to have beaten a whole Hamilton team single handed.

12 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Oooh who did you play for?

24 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

He won the ball back a lot breaking up play especially in the first half which allowed Irving to really shine 

He is never going to stand out in a flashy way but he was excellent today imo . One of the few successes. 

1 minute ago, Gards said:

It's not 1 (whelan) against 11 (Hamilton) so stop making those comparisons.  He had a solid performance today.  Probably top 2 or 3 of our players today.

if you didn't see that then fair enough - but stop expecting him to have beaten a whole Hamilton team single handed.

I'm not, I pulled up a poster that said he was 'different class'.

Do you honestly think his performance today was different class?  He didn't stand out above Irvine for me today and I thought he was very average.  He's a player that played numerous games for a championship side last year and I feel he didn't stand out at all. 

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

He was excellent, his reading of the game different class

Agreed, I really do wonder what game people watch sometimes.

kingantti1874

Do you honestly think his performance today was different class?  He didn't stand out above Irvine for me today and I thought he was very average.  He's a player that played numerous games for a championship side last year and I feel he didn't stand out at all. 

Your  wrong though so....

Dagger Is Back
33 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Pish. IMHO of course. 

Nearly every one of your posts mentioned he was playing against Hamilton.  So yes I'm pulling that up.

He was solid.  You can tell he has experience.  During the second half he was shouting and encouraging (Naismith-like).  He was encouraging Meshino.

He's a good player for us and will be a positive influence on the lest experienced players.

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Your  wrong though so....

I must have missed his different class performance, tell me what I missed? 

2 minutes ago, Gards said:

Nearly every one of your posts mentioned he was playing against Hamilton.  So yes I'm pulling that up.

He was solid.  You can tell he has experience.  During the second half he was shouting and encouraging (Naismith-like).  He was encouraging Meshino.

He's a good player for us and will be a positive influence on the lest experienced players.

He was solid

He has experience

He shouted at other players... 

Genuinely if his name was bozanic folk would be saying he had a shit game today.

1 minute ago, Longshanks said:

He was solid

He has experience

He shouted at other players... 

Genuinely if his name was bozanic folk would be saying he had a shit game today.

I fecking give up with Hearts fans at times.

1 minute ago, Gards said:

I fecking give up with Hearts fans at times.

Same.  If you think Whelan had a good game today then ****ing hell what chance do we have. 

All my original point was that he wasn't 'different class'