Olly Lee to Gillingham

Romulus

Just now, been here before said:

And Sam Allardyce is statistcally the greatest manager England has ever had as he's the only one with a 100% win record. No-one can come close to that.

He is also probably one of the greatest international managers statistically.

Stats are shite and can be used to prove or disprove pretty much anything.

To borrow a quote from Jose... "That's the way people that don't understand football analyse football, is with stats".

Ok another way, without Lees contribution we would have been bottom 6 last season.

without Clare or Djoum we’d have been exactly same.

without CL we’d have been top 4

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Romulus

• wattie exploited

• Cruyff Turn

3 hours ago, been here before said:

Scored 2 against a wrecked Bolton team of laddies and a couple of programme sellers to become the hottest property in football since Ronaldo, Messi and Shankland.

And technically he's still our player.

Its win/win for us when the European powerhouses come calling.

Olly, Olly Lee

Olly, Olly Lee

:munny:

if he keeps playing good hopefully theres an option to recall at xmas time

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, Masonic said:

He left for personal reasons, like Shankland did when he joined Dundee United.

You must be aware that personal reasons and preferred choice of club make a player not good enough for Hearts.

Pasquale for King

He scored his two goals by being in the box, something he was rarely able to do or be encouraged to do so with us. 

He has his reasons for wanting away, one definitely being Levein and maybe he’s another we didn’t get the best out of.

Maroon Sailor
53 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He scored his two goals by being in the box, something he was rarely able to do or be encouraged to do so with us. 

He has his reasons for wanting away, one definitely being Levein and maybe he’s another we didn’t get the best out of.

Said that further up the thread that we might not have got the best out of him.

Has now got me thinking, who has improved under Levein ?

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Said that further up the thread that we might not have got the best out of him.

Has now got me thinking, who has improved under Levein ?

Sorry only read the first few and last few posts. 

Only Mulraney and maybe Souttar, and Jake had to ASK the coaches what he needed to do to get in the team.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Only Mulraney and maybe Souttar, and Jake had to ASK the coaches what he needed to do to get in the team.

Mulraney has improved from a very low starting point, and his improvement has been minor.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I agree with those two, maybe Smith as well.

No strikers funny enough. Can't help thinking the likes of Shankland would be snapping up chances or crosses fired across goal in the 6 yard box. None of our strikers can get on the end of things.

Pasquale for King
40 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Mulraney has improved from a very low starting point, and his improvement has been minor.

Definitely, still doesn’t use his pace well enough or lift his head before he crosses.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I agree with those two, maybe Smith as well.

No strikers funny enough. Can't help thinking the likes of Shankland would be snapping up chances or crosses fired across goal in the 6 yard box. None of our strikers can get on the end of things.

Probably, the lack of bodies in the box doesn’t help though.

On 01/09/2019 at 10:46, Masonic said:

Canny wait👌🙈👏👏👏

Stephen Muddie
On 01/09/2019 at 08:18, hmfc_liam06 said:

He'll join the long list of players from England coming up here thinking they'll skoosh the league.

Only to return down south, play well and criticise the standard up here.

:spoton:

Up themselves, yet many of our own snakily back their shite. League One is fecking terrible and, while I'm here, so are 18/24 Championship teams.

The Treasurer
On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 10:46, Masonic said:

His loan deal is until January

Lee was an excellent dead ball taker but his lungs/legs were not designed for the Scottish game.      He will never re-fit into the team again. 

been here before
On 01/09/2019 at 10:46, Masonic said:

Ooohhh be still my beating heart.

He's 💩.

Byyy The Light
8 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Lee was an excellent dead ball taker but his lungs/legs were not designed for the Scottish game.      He will never re-fit into the team again. 

He’s one who likes to get his head up, swan about a bit and pick a pass. He just wasn’t good enough technically to do it at the speed required up here.

Stephen Muddie
On 02/09/2019 at 15:04, Walrus said:

Did you see the Bolton fans at 5-0 down, still there and supporting their team? Fecking losers.

LarrysRightFoot
2 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

Did you see the Bolton fans at 5-0 down, still there and supporting their team? Fecking losers.

Like us when we were in the same situation?

However our current situation is heehaw like it!

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Stephen Muddie
8 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Like us when we were in the same situation?

Fair point. Point I was making was THAT's what support is. Not Booing, moaning, screaming "you're shite" etc at your own players.

I'm fully aware of the anger atm, but I'm talkng of a scenario that goes back years. Current fan anger issues are totally understandable. Last season's chorus of Tynecastle HT boos after 9 wins in a row, whilst top of the league less so, and a better example.

Edited by Stephen Muddie

Like many others in the team, didn't show up for months on end. Would have been an asset in a team performing well, as seen last season.

Unfair to call anyone shit when everyone is playing badly. Management problem not player problems

• 2 weeks later...
been here before

Just noticed there's an interview with him on the News website ahead of Sundays game.

Olly Lee savours derby-winning goal against Hibs and speaks on Hearts exit and love for club.

Lee is the only player in the past five years to experience the thrill of scoring in a Hearts victory at Easter Road.

Nine months on and that wonder strike which gave Craig Levein’s team a 1-0 win over Hibs can effectively be deemed a parting gift - for now, at least - to the Tynecastle club’s support. Things were never quite the same again for Lee at Hearts after that zenith moment, and, after falling out of favour, he now finds himself on a season-long loan with English League One side Gillingham.

“I’m pleased that the Hearts fans have something to remember me fondly by,” the midfielder told the Evening News. “It’s a moment I’ll remember for a long time - there’s no feeling like it. I wish I could have done a slightly better celebration though - I was just so excited that the ball had hit the net. It’s a moment I’ll look back on with wonderful memories - it was brilliant.”

At this time last year, Lee was a key member of a Hearts side who sat five points clear at the top of the Premiership. The Englishman formed a strong partnership with Peter Haring in central midfield and became an instant fans’ favourite. As the season wore on, Hearts were hit by injuries, Lee was moved into different positions and then on to the subs’ bench, and it all ended in wholly underwhelming fashion for both player and team.

“I loved my time in Edinburgh and I loved playing for Hearts,” he said. “I absolutely loved representing the club.

“At this time last year it was brilliant and I was really enjoying my football. It’s well documented that we had a few injuries and it didn’t pan out how we all thought it would after the first ten games and that was really unfortunate because we had high hopes. It’s massively frustrating that things dropped off for us the way it did. I know people don’t want to harp on about it too much but we did lose big players at big times of the season. There’s not many teams who could cope with the injuries we had. It hit us hard. It’s very frustrating and it feels like a case of unfinished business.”

Lee feels he would have been able to continue his impressive start if he had played more games in a two-man central midfield with Haring. Injury to the Austrian, allied to the return of Arnaud Djoum and the addition of others, meant the blend changed in the engine room, and Lee was never truly able to influence things the way he would have liked in the second half of the season.

“It would have been nice if me and Pete could have played in midfield together a bit more often because at the start of the season, that’s the way we played,” he said. “It worked really well and we were 
enjoying it.

“It was an accumulation of a lot things that meant that stopped happening and I got played out of position in a lot of games. I was on the left and right wing, and it was clear to see that wasn’t really my position. The team struggled and it was a tough second half to the season. It wasn’t how we thought we’d end it but it’s in the past now.”

Lee made 41 appearances last season - more than any other Hearts player - but he started only nine of the closing 19 games for which he was available before being denied a place in the Scottish Cup final squad by an injury sustained away to Celtic on the final day of the league campaign. The 28-year-old, who scored a double against Bolton Wanderers on his Gillingham debut last month and has started all four league games since his move to Priestfield, insists he hasn’t given up on his career at Hearts, where he has a contract until 2021.

“It was unfortunate for it to turn out how it did,” he said. “But football’s a game of opinions and I think me and the manager probably had different opinions on the style of play. That’s part of the game - it happens.

“I was happy in Edinburgh, I was enjoying living there, my family were settled. It wasn’t a case of me wanting to move down south - it was a football decision and I respect the manager’s decision on that. We went our separate ways, shook hands and that was that.

“I can still see a future for myself at Hearts, I don’t see why not. You never say never in football. I loved my time in Edinburgh and I am very proud to represent Hearts as a football club so if I get the chance to play there again, I’ll grasp it with both hands.

“We’ll just wait and see what happens. At the minute I’m just focusing on short-term goals and that’s trying to enjoy my football, scoring goals and making things happen for Gillingham.

“I moved my Mrs and my little man up to Edinburgh. It was a big move for me in the first place to move us all up but it’s not one I regret for a second. I love Edinburgh - it’s one of my favourite cities in the world. Playing at Tynecastle, there’s no better feeling. I really enjoyed my time at Hearts - I can’t speak highly enough about it.

“Hopefully I’ll get up at some point to catch up with the boys and get to see a game because there’s no better place to be on a Saturday than Tynecastle.”

Portable Badger

So where did all the "wife's not happy up here" rumours come from at the time?  

Doesn't sound like she didn't enjoy it at all going by his comments

Bazzas right boot

He's playing at a level below, but he wasn;'t as bad as many made out.

Good passer, good set piece taker, chipped in with the odd goal.

Early yet, but Damour and Whelan look more complete midfielders, their cv's would indicate that too.

My observation was he played best before Djoum came back from injury. But that wasn't the "second half of season". 

Djoum came back v Motherwell September 15th. 

Edited by Mikey1874

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

He's playing at a level below, but he wasn;'t as bad as many made out.

Good passer, good set piece taker, chipped in with the odd goal.

Early yet, but Damour and Whelan look more complete midfielders, their cv's would indicate that too.

Oh really? Who'd of thought it. 

You take an awfully long time to come to pretty obvious conclusions. 

Edited by Sagan

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Sagan said:

Oh really? Who'd of thought it. 

You take an awfully long time to come to pretty obvious conclusions. 

It's Called being calculated and balanced.