Olly Lee to Gillingham

Romulus

The Treasurer
3 hours ago, Mort said:

Given he played 41 times last year, scoring 6 goals and provided 12 assists, it seems strange that we suddenly just want rid of him for no fee. 

You do understand how the loan system works ?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Romulus

• wattie exploited

• Cruyff Turn

Dusk_Till_Dawn
21 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

Maybe he wants to be an involved parent .... his missus has moved back south ffs

We should have done our due diligence then 

CloustonHMFC
3 hours ago, Mort said:

Given he played 41 times last year, scoring 6 goals and provided 12 assists, it seems strange that we suddenly just want rid of him for no fee

We didn’t want rid of him, he wanted to move back down south. CL said he would still be a squad player if no one came in for him. If we wanted him to go his contract would have been terminated. We wanted a fee for him, that why he’s went on loan because Gillingham (and Southend) don’t want to put up the fee we’re asking for. 

Seems a good passer of the ball and can hit a shot but I’ve said it for month, the Scottish game is too fast paced for him. 

20 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

You do understand how the loan system works ?

Very much so and in this case, I fail to see how it really benefits us.

3 hours ago, indianajones said:

Means we don't get to hear that song ever again. 

Excellent. 

He's back across the border

To join a smaller team

His wife she hated Scotland

He hated Craig Levein

The Treasurer
3 minutes ago, Mort said:

Very much so and in this case, I fail to see how it really benefits us.

A player who won't get much (if any) game time, off the wage bill, but still under contract so it's possible we will get a fee for him further down the line.

Sounds like a decent outcome for us for a player we signed for nothing a year ago.

21 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

He's back across the border

To join a smaller team

His wife she hated Scotland

He hated Craig Levein

:gok:

SectionDJambo

Does this mean Gary Naysmith will have to go down to Gillingham to watch him play?

He’ll be looking forward to that. 

2 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

He will end up at League 1 playing against players far superior to what he will face most of the time in Scotland.  He looked slow and ponderous because our movement is awful and he was attempting to keep the ball rather than lumping it under pressure.

I think our English based posters would disagree with your views on League one English football.

2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I think our English based posters would disagree with your views on League one English football.

I've tried to get him to explain his reasoning but he seems to be ignoring me. He does watch the highlights on Quest though.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Any player that mouths off about the club/manager at an official function should be prepared to pack his bags.

For the player who had lost appearances last season to loan anout lack of game time reeks of someone trying to work their way out of the club for whatever reason.

Given that so many others have extended their contracts it’s probably because he is a knob.

I've seen a lot of people on social media wishing Olly was back in the starting 11. 

I'm not sure if they are completely clueless or things just really are that bad. 

47 minutes ago, Sagan said:

I've seen a lot of people on social media wishing Olly was back in the starting 11. 

I'm not sure if they are completely clueless or things just really are that bad. 

Completely clueless revisionism. 

6 hours ago, Mort said:

Given he played 41 times last year, scoring 6 goals and provided 12 assists, it seems strange that we suddenly just want rid of him for no fee. 

Where did you learn we are getting rid of him for no fee?  He's going on loan not being transferred permanently.

If eventually he does go for nowt that is the amount we paid for him so no financial loss.

7 hours ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Once you fall out with CL then your days are numbered. The wife not liking Scotland was convenient

He didn’t fall out with Levein tho. 

2 hours ago, Sagan said:

I genuinely would have no problem with Lee starting ahead of Sean Flair. 

4 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

I genuinely would have no problem with Lee starting ahead of Sean Flair. 

Nut, not for me. 

He was living off that goal against hibs. 

The rest of the time he was mostly anonymous.

It is a closer call than i'd like to think though. Doesn't say much for Claire.

Edited by Sagan

1 minute ago, Sagan said:

Nut, not for me. 

He was living off that goal against hibs. 

The rest of the time he was mostly anonymous.

6 goals and 12 assists from midfield kinda suggests he wasn’t living off 1 goal at ER. 

Bazzas right boot

Lee contributed more goals and assists combined than anyone last season. 

He also had more goals than assists than Milinkovic for example. Folk are glad Lee is gone, some of the same folk want Milinkovic to come back. 

Fitbaw fans, eh? 

Good luck to the lad. 

He'll be replaced, a decent player but we can do better. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

He also had more goals than assists than Milinkovic for example. Folk are glad Lee is gone, some of the same folk want Milinkovic to come back. 

Fitbaw fans, eh? 

Good luck to the lad. 

Yeah, the stats don't lie, or do they? 

He just wasn't for me, I didn't see enough from him, he seemed to crawl into his cave a lot of the time. 

He was no Ryan Stevenson lol

Lee made 41 appearances in maroon last season, scoring six goals and claiming 12 assists, but became frustrated after dropping out of the starting line-up in the second half of the campaign.

He wasn't an excellent all rounder for us but 12 assists and 6 goals? I challenge any of our current midfielders to better that this season.

I think we will miss him.

1 hour ago, Bauld said:

Lee made 41 appearances in maroon last season, scoring six goals and claiming 12 assists, but became frustrated after dropping out of the starting line-up in the second half of the campaign.

He wasn't an excellent all rounder for us but 12 assists and 6 goals? I challenge any of our current midfielders to better that this season.

I think we will miss him.

Those are very good stats, considering first season and acclimatising to the frantic nature of Scottish football I'd say he did pretty well (although I do feel overall he was lacking, too slow).

Shame really. Hope we can try and get something for him. 

The hate for Levein is so bad that he gets ripped for such a big squad, yet when we trim it he gets doubly ripped!  Another example of a zero win situation.

The Internet

Whoever is last to leave is better than Sean Clare and should be in the team ahead of him. It was zanatta, now it's Lee. Who will be next? 

Captain Lithuania

Olly Lee wasn’t very good. He was last seasons Tony Watt. Everyone who didn’t understand football thought he was absolutely brilliant, meanwhile people who actually understood the game could spot he was crap from the beginning. 

Good luck Olly but I’m glad you’re gone. 

17 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

All these things should be considered before signing a contract then.

I am sure he discussed the move with his wife at length and they considered they could settle in our lovely City ... but sadly for him they didnt.  The 1 hour flying home once a week doesnt work for everybody.

16 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Dont think our due diligence stretches to whether a players family relationship is strong enough to cope with a move  

51 minutes ago, Arnaud Djoum said:

Olly Lee wasn’t very good. He was last seasons Tony Watt. Everyone who didn’t understand football thought he was absolutely brilliant, meanwhile people who actually understood the game could spot he was crap from the beginning. 

Good luck Olly but I’m glad you’re gone. 

Which camp were you in?

30 minutes ago, farin said:

All the best to him, he’ll be quickly forgotten about tbh. 

Agree. apart from the song and his goal at Fester

17 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Can you explain what you mean by "due diligence" in this case/context.

Are you saying we should have known or been able to work out that his wife would not settle in Scotland, or

are you saying we should not sign players outside of Scotland in case they or their wives don't settle here?

13 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Fitbaw fans, eh? 

Good luck to the lad. 

Perfectly and rationally summed up.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 hours ago, Disco Ball said:

Dont think our due diligence stretches to whether a players family relationship is strong enough to cope with a move  

Probably not given how amateur we are but a lot of clubs pay close attention to the issue of how well a player is likely to settle

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Disco Ball said:

or more likely, everyone is ok with a move  then folk change their mind once they move.

This place is mental.

54 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Probably not given how amateur we are but a lot of clubs pay close attention to the issue of how well a player is likely to settle

Do you think it should and how do we put this into practice?

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

"Given how amateur we are" ... would love to know what non amateur clubs obtain as personal background information, and still manage to sell themselves as an attractive club to join

Maroon Sailor

Scored twice on his debut for Gillingham

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
Just now, indianajones said:

Against Bolton who have no players... 

Do they not count ?

Bolton have let in 5 goals in each of the last 4 league games they've played.

Hard to judge anything or anybody when playing them this season.

Dalstonjambo

2 goals and an MoM on his debut at Gillingham. Annoying on a day like today. 

Ryan Edwards scored for Burton too I see. 

Mr Brightside
1 minute ago, Dalstonjambo said:

2 goals and an MoM on his debut at Gillingham. Annoying on a day like today. 

Ryan Edwards scored for Burton too I see. 

Neither were good enough for us and don’t think they would improve us now. If you could merge Edwards engine with Lee’s ability then you would have a top player.

9 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Neither were good enough for us and don’t think they would improve us now. If you could merge Edwards engine with Lee’s ability then you would have a top player.

Perhaps neither were good enough, but others who are less good enough (certainly in the case of Lee) for us started today in positions in the team that they otherwise could have filled. 

William H. Bonney
15 minutes ago, TheStig said:

All we need is a vanecek goal and today is a real shitter

Its a real shitter then.