Peaky blinders

Eddie

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I've succumbed to temptation and looked at the current series.

It's as I feared; trying to wring out the last juice from the lemon. I always assumed that the 'Brummie' accents were done that way (badly) to reflect some authentic blend of Midlands/other accents that might have been prevalent at the time. Then the Billy Boy started speaking. I wasn't around Glasgow in the 1920s but know (or knew) folk that were and none of them ever commented on the drastic change of accent throughout the 20th century.

I also struggle a little bit with the geography. In Peaky Blinders, the Billy Boys control all the coal mines (fine) and the shipyards to the east of Glasgow. Pretty wee ships if you're building them in Cambuslang.

It appears that the scriptwriters have got lazy. Things going slowly? I know - let's get Arthur to kick the sh1t out of someone.

Spot on, the storyline is just old and rehashed, with a different gang. It’s more like an Eastenders period drama with more tits and violence. 

I don’t particularly minded the Brummie accents, the clothes or the set in Birmingham but surely they could have found an out of work Glaswegian actor (s) to play a Glaswegian and got basic facts right.

Салатные палочки

Got it on in the background tonight. That Glaswegian accent is absolutely terrible :laugh2:. Embarrassing. As above, there must be plenty of Scottish actors willing to play a part. Someone like Martin Compston. 

40 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Got it on in the background tonight. That Glaswegian accent is absolutely terrible :laugh2:. Embarrassing. As above, there must be plenty of Scottish actors willing to play a part. Someone like Martin Compston. 

It's really brutal.  There must've been someone working on the production that was Scottish and could've told them it was pish.  

It's one of those series that is much lauded amongst the internet and workplaces alike.. Almost everyone I know says it's amazing and OMG a must watch..

Downloaded first episode,.. lasted 20 minutes. Couldn't engage,.

So so wanted too to aswell... 

Filing it (for me) under The Walking Dead, The Affair, Glitch, Stranger Things, Twin Peaks and affair few others... 

Would love to get engaged with a series.. But nothing floating my boat for a good long while now... 

7 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

It's one of those series that is much lauded amongst the internet and workplaces alike.. Almost everyone I know says it's amazing and OMG a must watch..

Filing it (for me) under The Walking Dead, The Affair, Glitch, Stranger Things, Twin Peaks and affair few others... 

Would love to get engaged with a series.. But nothing floating my boat for a good long while now... 

MindHunter? Have you you tried this? If not, fill yer boots. Magic!

On 02/09/2019 at 19:07, Cruyff Turn said:

That’ll do. 👍🏼

Son of Hamish fae Braveheart. Talking about out of work  Glasgow actors. I was gonnae say David O'Hara, but his accents worse. 

kingantti1874

Yep, this season is pretty pish.. seems like game of thrones before it they are more worried about what it looks like than the plot.

the frequent musical interludes are pish as well

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Not watched a minute of this show. It's just never appealed to me. 

Same here.

My mates rave about it but I’ve never fancied it,

William H. Bonney

Digressing slightly but one of the funniest football chants I’ve heard was aimed at Arbroath manager dick Campbell. 

‘You’re  Just a fat peaky blinder’. 

C856EEAB-EA52-430D-9C81-13A64711FDE2.jpeg

been here before
12 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Can you not just watch it instead of 'trying to engage with it' (whatever that might mean)?

Darth Sidious
On 28/08/2019 at 07:56, Rousset1 said:

Forces TV recently showed Buck Rogers In The 25th Century.

A far superior series in every way.

They have Quantum Leap starting tonight...all time classic show.

9 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Not watched a minute of this show. It's just never appealed to me. 

A British attempt at boardwalk empire. 

been here before
1 minute ago, Darth Sidious said:

Yes! I thought I was the only one who cared about that.

TJ Hooker has just started today on True Entertainment. Not got Heather Locklear in it for a bit yet.

1 hour ago, Darth Sidious said:

What a programme Quantum Leap was 👍

Poor Sam though - still leaping about in time 😰

On 09/09/2019 at 15:45, been here before said:

Yes! I thought I was the only one who cared about that.

TJ Hooker has just started today on True Entertainment. Not got Heather Locklear in it for a bit yet.

I'll settle for April Clough in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...

That's it finished for another season; a very poor finale - disjointed and incoherent. 

When they bring out the next season, please don't start a thread on it here and I can be blissfully ignorant and not waste 6 hours of my time drawn into it, hoping that it returns to its early promise. 

been here before
6 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

That's it finished for another season; a very poor finale - disjointed and incoherent. 

When they bring out the next season, please don't start a thread on it here and I can be blissfully ignorant and not waste 6 hours of my time drawn into it, hoping that it returns to its early promise. 

Series.

6 hours ago, been here before said:

Series.

You're darn tootin' right. I'm ashamed of myself. I knew it was odd when I was writing it as well. 

William H. Bonney
23 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Agreed. Utter shite. 

Stopped watching this series after the 2nd episode. 

I really liked the previous series as well, should have just ended it with the 4th series. 

Is there a new Director for this series? What is with the endless slow motion walking scenes and musical interludes etc. 

Defo feels like it has jumped the shark now. 

Shanks said no
3 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Can’t go any further than one more season. 

All to die Blackadder style in WW2 ?