Peaky blinders

Eddie

Deserves a thread of it's own. 

After watching the 2nd episode of the 5th series last night, i have got to say this is running the soprano's and breaking bad close as my fav top 2 series.

The scene with the billy boys was outstanding.

Also, Arthur Shelby is a great character. Alfie Solomon too, played by Tom Hardy. another great character although not seen in the 5th series as yet

Edited by Eddie

Absolutely brilliant TV, definitely up there for me.

Billy Boys scene was good, apart from the actors attempt at a weegie accent.

Edited by Texia

Brilliant programme, early days for this series yet though. Hopefully that Glaswegian accent isn't too distracting. 

Still think The Wire is the best series though. 

I actually just watched the very first episode yesterday. it looks good but it has some way to go to beat its always sunny and breaking bad/better call saul.

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, Eddie said:

After watching the 2nd episode of the 5th series last night, i have got to say this is running the soprano's and breaking bad close as my fav top 2 series.

Also, Arthur Shelby is a great character. Alfie Solomon too, played by Tom Hardy. another great character although not seen in the 5th series as yet

Is there not a fundamental flaw in the last paragraph or am I missing something?

i would add that the Billy Boys coming out of the woods was a truly astonishing piece of TV

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

It's alright.

Not sure the Billy Boys storyline is going how quite the same impact elsewhere though.

I bet the vast majority of other viewers even realise the connotations with Scottish football, such is the MSM viewpoint.

alwaysthereinspirit
50 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Is there not a fundamental flaw in the last paragraph or am I missing something?

i would add that the Billy Boys coming out of the woods was a truly astonishing piece of TV

I was thinking the same thing. Might not be you that's missing something. Alfie is though.

William H. Bonney

I like it but I think it’s starting to believe it’s own hype. 

The first couple of episodes have been absolute nonsense 

John Findlay
4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Hard to appear when you got killed off

John Findlay
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Certainly the best British series of all time for me.

Boys from the black stuff for me

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

51 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I was thinking the same thing. Might not be you that's missing something. Alfie is though.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Hard to appear when you got killed off

totally forgot about Tommy killing him at the beach! 

oh well that's a bit gutting :lol:

I P Knightley
45 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

I like it but I think it’s starting to believe it’s own hype. 

The first couple of episodes have been absolute nonsense 

This is my fear. The last series, I felt, was stretching things and it felt like a good place to conclude. I'm not deperately interested in watching a new series but, no doubt, will find the time to do so and will regret doing so!

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

He was a great character. 

Shanks said no

I had to have a peak at the Peaky thread on Bearsden, oh my goodness, they really should not be allowed near a computer. Some of the tamer quotes

They will take the opportunity to completely demonise the Billy Boys and the wider Glasgow  Protestant community .

“Hello BBC, I’d like to make a complaint about sectarian singing on your show Peaky Blinders.”

Photo of Steve Clarke on the phone

Peaky Blinders to by closed down for 3 episodes....

I just want to see Arthur butchered in the worst, most painful way possible. That will be decent viewing. (it would appear that he has been photographed wearing Tierneys top and is therefore a terrier(sp))

We are the Bridgeton Derry Billy Boys With big fuxxxn guns 

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

It’s very good but best ever not for me.... the West Wing all day long 

Agreed. West Wing is fantastic. Fell off a bit when Aaron Sorkin left but still outstanding. 

Bridge of Djoum
2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Or did he... 

i think Alfie will turn up at Parkhead with an Israeli flag, mayhem ensues before the Billy Boys wade in. Celtic issue a statement about best fans in the world and Jim Traynor dies of a coronary. 

Not even close I watched most of the first season.

It's well produced and looks the part. I can see why people like it. Don't think it's bad as such but just nothing held me with it.didnt find any of the characters particularly interesting.

But then your other suggestion of breaking bad obviously means we have different tastes as I thought BB was a load of crap. Each to their own.

*I did watch the first episode of new season to see if it enticed me back into it but while there was more going on,  it didn't make me want to watch more.

Better call Saul
11 hours ago, Boab said:

Please no more walking through a foundry in slow motion.

We get it !

I get where your coming from

I Iiked the scenes they did with I. R. A  way back in the first or second series after Thomas  and the barmaid killed they two lads in the pub I was like... GERRIT UP YE 

Edited by Ferris Bueller

Салатные палочки
11 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Nothing will ever top the Sopranos.

Ever.

This.

My problem with Peaky Blinders is that, in my opinion, it tries to hard to be cool, whereas the Sopranos just oozed cool from start to finish. 

rudi must stay

Won't even get close to The Sopranos. Mainly due to James Gandolfini and his iconic acting.

On 27/08/2019 at 12:46, Mikey1874 said:

It's different. 

Pure style and confidence. 

Every second is important to the directors visually, you can see that. I liked Peaky Blinders season 1, after that for me it lost its way.  I just like the music now and couldn't tell you what's even happening in it.

21 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Boardwalk empire was a far superior show to peaky blinders. 

Very underrated show. Alot like American Gods is, solid interesting TV shows.

For me its

The Wire, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Vikings and GOT (ignoring the last season)

Honorable mentions: Dexter, Justified, Star Trek TNG,  Lillyhammer. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

I’m just catching up on it now. Still beautifully made but the music is perhaps becoming a bit more intrusive than in the past. 

Also I’d like to add that Polly is a fantastic character that Helen McCrory absolutely nails. 

Garbage! But I watch some garbage too.

Maybe they should hire someone who doesn't sound Irishy when doing a Glesga accent. Horrendous!

So have watch 4 episodes and I can honestly say it is pish. The police officer is possibly the worst character I have come across on telly. Tommy Shelby is a shite villian/hardman. The way they dress makes them look like pussies. 

It’s a good show but not on the same level as The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos etc. Would even argue Line of Duty is better than it. 

Got a feeling Peaky Blinders May have jumped the shark a wee bit. Thought they maybe should have ended it after the 4th series. 

Brilliant programme. Not the best ever but it is very good. I’m enjoying this series so far too. Having lived in Birmingham for years, the accents are good. Not the usual over acting nonsense you usually get.

I miss Grace though 😍

Its a fine drama in some ways , but its nowhere near the greatness of " The Sopranos"...come on....!  In fact this season has been fairly dull and all over the place.  The scene were Polly was dressed in a suit and sunglasses a la " Bonnie and Clyde" was laughable.  The show is trying too hard to be trendy I feel.  The Arthur character is a real scum bag. Hope he meets a sticky end. 

Bridge of Djoum
On 30/08/2019 at 07:56, AlimOzturk said:

So have watch 4 episodes and I can honestly say it is pish. The police officer is possibly the worst character I have come across on telly. Tommy Shelby is a shite villian/hardman. The way they dress makes them look like pussies. 

Nae Henri Lloyd and Fila in 1920’s Birmingham. 

3 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

That Scottish accent :facepalm:

I’m sure they could have found an actual Scottish ***** to play that role. It’s ruined the whole thing. 

Folk had been talking about it before I watched it so I thought I was prepared.

I wasn’t 😀

4 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Folk had been talking about it before I watched it so I thought I was prepared.

I wasn’t 😀

Sounded like fat ******* in Austin Powers. 😂🤦‍♂️

I P Knightley
Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

That’ll do. 👍🏼

I've succumbed to temptation and looked at the current series.

It's as I feared; trying to wring out the last juice from the lemon. I always assumed that the 'Brummie' accents were done that way (badly) to reflect some authentic blend of Midlands/other accents that might have been prevalent at the time. Then the Billy Boy started speaking. I wasn't around Glasgow in the 1920s but know (or knew) folk that were and none of them ever commented on the drastic change of accent throughout the 20th century.

I also struggle a little bit with the geography. In Peaky Blinders, the Billy Boys control all the coal mines (fine) and the shipyards to the east of Glasgow. Pretty wee ships if you're building them in Cambuslang.

It appears that the scriptwriters have got lazy. Things going slowly? I know - let's get Arthur to kick the sh1t out of someone.