Scotland Squad

Famous 1874

Halkett and Souttar both not selected is quite incredible.

I am assuming Souttar is not quite fit enough to make it but Halkett would be the best centre back in that squad.

kingantti1874

Halkett should be in there without doubt, would prefer it if naisy was not.. 

Edited by kingantti1874

Jambof3tornado
3 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

I am assuming Souttar is not quite fit enough to make it but Halkett would be the best centre back in that squad.

No soapy but naisy gets in.

Unknown user

Halkett's got to be on the radar, but worth remembering this is only his 2nd season in the top division and centre backs normally need to show long term consistency before making the international breakthrough. 

As well as Halkett has done he is playing for a team that concedes cheap goals at the bottom of the division. it's not the best starting point for selection.

Edited by Jodami

Tbf Cooper, Palmer and even Hanley have all had good years. Mulgrew though! Id rather see new blood.

Hopefully he drops out when Souttar is back. Mckenna obv to be back too

Had wondered if Mikey Johnston might get a shout. Above Russel and Philips imo.

Glad Snoddy back

A_A wehatethehibs

I assume people are joking expecting Halkett to be selected? I am no Hanley or Mulgrew fan but thinking Halkett would have a chance of selection for his first cap in an inexperienced squad over those 2 plus Cooper, with the form Hearts are in, is bizarre. If Halkett, Berra and Souttar fancy themselves as Scotland defenders then it’s about time they got their act together and start shutting teams out, and getting Hearts up that table. If they do that they’ll have a chance of getting caps come the new year. At present, our defence is anything but solid. 

23 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Halkett has played 100 games for Livingston. Hanley has played 200 combined games for Blackburn, Newcastle and Norwich. He’s now playing in the EPL. Maroon tinted spectacles perhaps?

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I assume people are joking expecting Halkett to be selected? I am no Hanley or Mulgrew fan but thinking Halkett would have a chance of selection for his first cap in an inexperienced squad over those 2 plus Cooper, with the form Hearts are in, is bizarre. If Halkett, Berra and Souttar fancy themselves as Scotland defenders then it’s about time they got their act together and start shutting teams out, and getting Hearts up that table. If they do that they’ll have a chance of getting caps come the new year. At present, our defence is anything but solid. 

Ffs

Halketts played 3 league games and souttars Injured. 

Give them a chance to get it together. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Halkett has played 100 games for Livingston. Hanley has played 200 combined games for Blackburn, Newcastle and Norwich. He’s now playing in the EPL. Maroon tinted spectacles perhaps?

Maybe, but Hanley is shite. 

He really is. 

He's also been utter shite in a Scotland Jersey pretty much every time. 

Suprised no Paterson in. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Think folk are harsh on Hanley cos he looks a bit gormless. He's a decent defender. 

I've never seen him play well. 

He reminds me of Petric or Kevin James....... 

A hybrid of them both. 😭

10 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I'd really rather naismith wasn't anywhere near this. Glad Souttar and Halkett have avoided it. 

Maybe, like at Hearts, he’s the type of experienced guy managers want about the squad. Maybe not see a great amount of game time.

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Ffs

He really is. 

Suprised no Paterson in. 

Paterson is only just back from injury and not fully fit yet. Halkett is only 6ft, I wonder if that counts against him?

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Naismith in the squad though. Surely surprising 

Yeah that’s what’s worrying me, not that two our defenders are missing especially when one of them is still injured.

My team would be:

Marshall

O'Donnell    Cooper    Hanley*      Robertson(c)

McTominay    McGinn

Fraser                    Naismith                Christie

McBurnie

*should be Halkett!

Either that or bring in Russell or Forrest for McBurnie and swap them with Naismith to lead the line. McBurnie hasn't been great for us but seems to be doing well at club level. 

We won't be good enough for Belgium but really need a result against the Russians. 

Edited by E6 Inc

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Paterson is only just back from injury and not fully fit yet. Halkett is only 6ft, I wonder if that counts against him?

Ahh, thought Patterson had been back for a few games. 

Maybe, I agree he does need to play more on a successful team, but ****ing Hanley. 

He reminds me of Willie falconer, but a defender. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Boab said:

Maybe, like at Hearts, he’s the type of experienced guy managers want about the squad. Maybe not see a great amount of game time.

Aye, and a wee run out gets him ready for us! 

3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

No Halkett, no Matt Ritchie and no Thumb? 

Fairly sure Matt Ritchie has refused to play for Scotland for the time being 

2 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

That’s disappointing if true because he’d be a great asset for us. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Ffs

He really is. 

Suprised no Paterson in. 

Yes that’s basically what I’ve said, they need to get it together before there’s any justification in calls for them to get Scotland call ups 😂 Hearts can’t even keep clean sheets against east fife or Cowdenbeath I wouldn’t be chucking any of our defenders in against 2 world class international sides. Least of all uncapped halkett. 

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Jodami's point. That applies to Killie, just as much, or even more than us currently. 

I don't expect Halkett selected. Not yet. He should've been last year. But if Clarke's going to continue along the same lines of picking friends of the family, despite shite form...then more of the same Strachan/McLeish shite awaits. Hanley & Mulgrew. Is that the summit of Scottish talent? 

Naismith shouldn't even be picked for this either. 

They are pretty much among the best Right and left back available options we have, I’ve no issue with their selection. Their selection is of no relevance to Halkett or any other CHs. I’m expecting Liam Palmer and Robertson to be the starting full backs, although O’Donnell has more caps, Palmer is playing better at a higher level. 

Re Hanley Mulgrew yes that is the summit of our experienced defenders. If Berra had a good start to the season he’d have had every chance of getting in that squad. Same for Naismith that’s why he is in - the squad is terribly inexperienced. 

Bazzas right boot

Fair doos. 

Makes sense and I agree, but Hanley. 

He reminds me of Willie jamieson, without the wonder goals.

Mulgrew is always decent for us. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Handed in a transfer request? 😂😂😂

The Internet
9 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

A man with sense. 

Hope he doesn't pick up an injury playing for the national team! Can't really afford any more players out, SN particularly!

People do realise Hanley is starting in the Premiership week in week out now?  I’m not sure Haulket would be anywhere near ready for that level otherwise he would have signed for a high end Championship side in the summer and not hearts.  Let’s just let him concentrate on building his game without bitching about him not being included while moaning about Naismith being there and wanting him to retire. 

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Let's all celebrate like **** & have a go at his glass knees again, should he injure himself on Scotland duty? Because that's exactly what'll happen on here. That little rhat Tierney had no problems slinking out Scotland matches, under the guise of tiredness or injury...only to miraculously recover for the next OF or Cup game, for example.

Naismith's fault(if can call it that) is that he's more professional than that to say "no thanks, I need to get my fitness & club form back up." Griffith's has played as much this season, is more of a goal threat, & has enough experience.

Clarke's stubbornness in selecting players irrespective of form will become more prevalent. Nothing to change. The side is a piss-take & will continue that way.

Hanley is playing well at a much higher level than any other of the defenders. The very definition of selecting players respective of form. 

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Barack said:

Let's all celebrate like **** & have a go at his glass knees again, should he injure himself on Scotland duty? Because that's exactly what'll happen on here. That little rhat Tierney had no problems slinking out Scotland matches, under the guise of tiredness or injury...only to miraculously recover for the next OF or Cup game, for example.

Naismith's fault(if can call it that) is that he's more professional than that to say "no thanks, I need to get my fitness & club form back up." Griffith's has played as much this season, is more of a goal threat, & has enough experience.

Clarke's stubbornness in selecting players irrespective of form will become more prevalent. Nothing to change. The side is a piss-take & will continue that way.

From a Hearts perspective I’d prefer Naismith didn’t play too. I’m just saying experience is clearly the reason he has been picked. A big reason Naismith is at Hearts is because he wants to have one last crack at doing something for Scotland. He is a leader and a coach on the pitch, Thumb is neither of those. 

No really expecting anything from either games, sad state that i am more excited to be going to see players of world class calibre in the Belgium game

A_A wehatethehibs
9 minutes ago, Barack said:

Just so we're clear. It's fine to be playing in a shite team in England. But not Scotland.

Unless you're a favourite of the current Scotland Manager.

So...nothing's changing then? Good stuff.

A “shite” team in England is not the same as a shite team in Scotland. You’re talking about 2 vastly different levels of professional football here. The Premier League is the highest level in world football. Meanwhile the best team in Scotland by a 9 point margin last season cannot even beat Cluj in a qualifier. 

The Internet
19 minutes ago, Barack said:

So by playing in the EPL, in a team letting in an average of 2 a game entitles you a game for Scotland? Regardless if he's been a bomb scare for 3 of those games.

:lol:

Sound.

2 of their 3 games were against Liverpool and Chelsea.