The Time of your Life

CostaJambo

We have many posters living in Edinburgh and also moving further afield spanning back over a number of years so what was the best time of your life? Looking for dates, locations and experiences for all to share.

Mine...

85-86

Just left school and working with money in my pocket and not a care in the world following Hearts on a historic journey which just fell short at the final hurdle. Bouncing around up town at week-ends, Annabels/Red Hot Pepper Club, Cinderellas etc.

89-91

Left work and went full time at Napier with the main priority going out and getting ****ed and chasing bursds rather than the qualifications. Not having to get up for work every morning and choosing to go into lectures or catch up later was a sense of freedom I had never experienced before and was a brilliant experience. **** it parties at Outer Limits organised by guys at Napier (anyone remember them?) and top sounds such as Happy Mondays, EMF, The Farm etc.

Spent 20 years working abroad in various locations after that but nothing compares to the freedom of being young and feeling immortal.

2011/12

Round the World backpacking trip. I saw lions, orangutans and Komodo dragons, learned to scuba dive and did lots of other amazing stuff. Only downside was having to watch 19/05/2012 on a shitty stream in a Bolivian internet cafe. Wish I'd cut it a bit short and come home a month early now.

1950 finally releaased from the education system, got a job in a garage. Dealt with truck drivers, one in particular always because of hair coloring and dirt from oil and grease  always called me a black ******* as he harrassed. On my last day on the job before going to the army he was doing his usual. I came out from under the truck with a large wrench and went for him. He was a WW2 paratrooper, a tough guy but I had enough. He started laughing put up his hands and said you finally done it good for you, you'll be a good soldier.

I952 six months training, off to Egypt for twenty  months of life forming experiences, followed by nine months in the spectacle of changing the guard etc.

1955 t0 1966, Edinburgh Police, a great time to be in the police,

1991 to today, retirement, daily golf, world travel, a good dog and lots of mountain walks, slowed down now but still not too bad.

Edited by bobsharp

1981, as an 8 year old we left Edinburgh to move to gala. Left school in 89 and worked in a bakery for a year. Learned how to enjoy a day in the pub at this time. Never went to a lot of hearts games whilst in gala, as my dads arthritis meant he could stand for 90 minutes, or sit in the stand or shed. During the 85-86 season he said feck it, he took more pain killers so we were at most home games in the amazing run we were on. Only 1 away game, at dens. After that, he said i was old enough to get the borders hearts bus to games, so i seen most home and a few away games, along with @Placid Casual and another mate.

1990, joined the RAF, stayed in until 1994. Learned a lot about life here, like how to drink to excess, that English girls LOVED a strong scottish accent. Moved back to edinburgh as my folks had done the same.

Had an amazing few years as a single man around the city, shared a flat in Watson crescent with a mate.

Met the wife in 96 so the growing up really started then. Moved in with her at the end of 96 in a flat in pilton.

Early 98, we moved up to Lewis, wife is from here, and developed a love for stornoway black pudding. Been here since.

We got married in 2000, daughter born in 2002. Just slowing turning into an old man now, hoping I can go into semi retirement by my 50th birthday. Hopefully I will also grownup by then as well.

I’d probably say 1984/5/6. 

I’d come of age (sexually, if not mentally) and for that short time I appeared to be like catnip for birds.

I’d aced school and apparently possessed a quality that was ‘cool’. 

I got served my first pint in the Conan Doyle at 14 y.o. and went to watch live bands every weekend. 

I had birds falling over themselves to jump my bones.

In short, I was Daddy Cool. 

Now?  

Feck all happens of any note. Nowt. 

I am the celebate cowboy who has to watch his alcohol intake. 

Auld age disnae come itself.