Naples

siegementality

siegementality

Anyone been to Naples? I’m off there next month with the Mrs for four days.

Anybody got any tips, places of interest, things to avoid, etc. We are into a bit culture, music, food and wine. I know the city has a bit of a rough reputation but I’m sure we’ll enjoy it.

We’ll be getting tickets for the Napoli v Brescia game so the footy is sorted 😊

Thanks in advance.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Anyone been to Naples? I’m off there next month with the Mrs for four days.

Anybody got any tips, places of interest, things to avoid, etc. We are into a bit culture, music, food and wine. I know the city has a bit of a rough reputation but I’m sure we’ll enjoy it.

We’ll be getting tickets for the Napoli v Brescia game so the footy is sorted 😊

Thanks in advance.

Just remember when going to the match take your passport with you.

siegementality
4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Definitely go here, very friendly and welcoming:

13651604-7043879-image-a-36_155817443619

I’ve been to Glasgow thanks.

siegementality
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Just remember when going to the match take your passport with you.

Yeah. I was at a Lazio game in Rome last year so know the drill as far as ID, etc, goes.

Will be ducking out of the curva sections in the San Paolo though, a bit too mental for the other half.

Pretty rough place especially around the train station area and not much of a bar culture at all

Stadium is pretty run down too but if you like edgy then you will enjoy it

Day trips down the coast by train or ferry are well worth it .. lots of historical sites and beautiful coastal towns.

Food is good especially the pizzas

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, siegementality said:

Yeah. I was at a Lazio game in Rome last year so know the drill as far as ID, etc, goes.

Will be ducking out of the curva sections in the San Paolo though, a bit too mental for the other half.

Was in Milan a few years ago and the one time I didn’t have my passport with me but had match tickets. Need I say more.

siegementality
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Was in Milan a few years ago and the one time I didn’t have my passport with me but had match tickets. Need I say more.

We had our passports for the Lazio game. Just before we approached the entrance the police asked to see our tickets and passports. As I was fishing them out my pocket one of the cops asked where we were from. I said Scotland, he smiled, said it didn’t matter and just waved us on. Not a chance that would have happened if I hadn’t have had the passports with me!

We first went there in 2015.

The port area is a bit dodgy as is the area around the main train station (Piazza Garibaldi). 

City centre is ok but still, watch your pockets.

Best thing is their pizzas.  Much thicker based than in  other Italian cities but delicious.  If you like anchovies, capers and olives on a pizza, ask for a Pizza Neapolitan.

siegementality
7 minutes ago, the general said:

Pretty rough place especially around the train station area and not much of a bar culture at all

Stadium is pretty run down too but if you like edgy then you will enjoy it

Day trips down the coast by train or ferry are well worth it .. lots of historical sites and beautiful coastal towns.

Food is good especially the pizzas

We’ve been fortunate enough to have been to Rio, Cairo, Mexico City, Tunis, etc, so rough and edgy don’t really bother us much. I read up on Naples before I booked up and it seems a lot of it’s bad reputation is a bit of a legacy from the 80’s and earlier.

We’re heading to the Amalfi Coast for 8 days as well but already have the itinerary for that sorted. Naples is a different beast from the Amalfi.

Flying to Naples on Tuesday as it happens.

Staying a night just outside then doing a road trip of the South of Italy.  

Heading over to East coast, then down to Lecce, up to Matera, somewhere else (not sure, some farmhouse in middle of nowhere) then amalfi coast, then back to Naples.

Really looking forward to it!

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, siegementality said:

We’ve been fortunate enough to have been to Rio, Cairo, Mexico City, Tunis, etc, so rough and edgy don’t really bother us much. I read up on Naples before I booked up and it seems a lot of it’s bad reputation is a bit of a legacy from the 80’s and earlier.

We’re heading to the Amalfi Coast for 8 days as well but already have the itinerary for that sorted. Naples is a different beast from the Amalfi.

Did Amalfi coast a couple of years ago and it was one of the best holidays I have had.

siegementality
Just now, jonesy said:

Spent three weeks working there last year. 

On on days off I headed to Ischia and Capri. Both worth a visit. Will try to dig out restaurant names, had some great dishes.

We’ll be based in Sorrento for 8 days prior to going to Naples. We’ll be visiting Capri and exploring the Amalfi Coast from there. Any info would be welcome 👍

siegementality
4 minutes ago, Boris said:

Flying to Naples on Tuesday as it happens.

Staying a night just outside then doing a road trip of the South of Italy.  

Heading over to East coast, then down to Lecce, up to Matera, somewhere else (not sure, some farmhouse in middle of nowhere) then amalfi coast, then back to Naples.

Really looking forward to it!

We’re staying in Bari, then travelling to Sorrento. Amalfi coast from there and then on to Naples. Looked at going to Matera from Bari but we didn’t want to hire a car and the public transport was virtually one bus a day.

We’re staying in Bari, then travelling to Sorrento. Amalfi coast from there and then on to Naples. Looked at going to Matera from Bari but we didn’t want to hire a car and the public transport was virtually one bus a day.

We're hiring a car for the whole gig.  Should be fun...

Matera looks cool.  Staying in a cave house for a night.  Main stays are 4 nights just outside Lecce, and 3 nights on Amalfi coast - place described as a medieval tower.  Looks pretty cool.

12 minutes ago, siegementality said:

I was there 2 years ago for City game

Centre is still pretty darn bad

Just be careful and sensible

siegementality
13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

We first went there in 2015.

The port area is a bit dodgy as is the area around the main train station (Piazza Garibaldi). 

City centre is ok but still, watch your pockets.

Best thing is their pizzas.  Much thicker based than in  other Italian cities but delicious.  If you like anchovies, capers and olives on a pizza, ask for a Pizza Neapolitan.

I never carry a wallet or cards and use a money belt to carry ID and cash. I’m pretty good at spotting dodgy character/situations.

I’ll swerve the Neapolitan, anchovies 🤮    😂

1 minute ago, siegementality said:

I never carry a wallet or cards and use a money belt to carry ID and cash. I’m pretty good at spotting dodgy character/situations.

I’ll swerve the Neapolitan, anchovies 🤮    😂

Look out for the special sign that pizza places have that signifies they are of superior quality

It's like a devil's mask kinda thing

siegementality
Just now, the general said:

I was there 2 years ago for City game

Centre is still pretty darn bad

Just be careful and sensible

I had a mate who went to the Napoli v Arsenal game. Their coach was petrol bombed on the motorway on the way to the Stadium. He said the day of the game it was absolutely mental but was ok the days prior and after. His Arsenal top stayed in his suitcase the whole time.

siegementality
5 minutes ago, Boris said:

We're hiring a car for the whole gig.  Should be fun...

Matera looks cool.  Staying in a cave house for a night.  Main stays are 4 nights just outside Lecce, and 3 nights on Amalfi coast - place described as a medieval tower.  Looks pretty cool.

Plan to do Matera, Alberobello, Lecce, etc, next year. Love Italy.

Plan to do Matera, Alberobello, Lecce, etc, next year. Love Italy.

First time for me, can't wait.

Also fancy doing the north at some point, Florence, Pisa etc

siegementality
5 minutes ago, the general said:

Look out for the special sign that pizza places have that signifies they are of superior quality

It's like a devil's mask kinda thing

Will do 👍

9 minutes ago, siegementality said:

I had a mate who went to the Napoli v Arsenal game. Their coach was petrol bombed on the motorway on the way to the Stadium. He said the day of the game it was absolutely mental but was ok the days prior and after. His Arsenal top stayed in his suitcase the whole time.

It was a bit like Athens

They let you drink at port area then herd you onto buses about 2 hours before ko

The only food outlets are 1 big vending machine lol

Kept in for 2 hours dropped off by docks to get attacked by hundreds of ultras on vespas 

Great trip

8 guys from Platform 5 pick a random city every year for a piss up and football trip. This year it was Naples and they were in an italian restaurant and the waiter asked where they were from

Started decking himself shouting ..oh yes Jurassic park!!  He had worked in Bar Italia and used to go to the Cav after his shift

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Herculaneum is a decent alternative to Pompeii a lot more preserved bodies there as well.

I agree.

siegementality
Just now, Boris said:

First time for me, can't wait.

Also fancy doing the north at some point, Florence, Pisa etc

We did Rome, Florence, Pisa (one day as there’s not that much to it really) and Venice last year. We went in late September so it was less busy. Rome was actually surprisingly good. I expected it to be really touristy- which it is - but you didn’t have to stray too far to see the real everyday Rome. Florence was my favourite by far. It’s like an open air museum. Loads to do and see. Did a vintage Vespa tour into the Tuscan hills. Brilliant place. Venice was like being on a film set. Pretty expensive at all the tourist spots but we spent a lot of time in the areas were the locals lived. We travelled by train to each place. Cheap fares and the train service was top notch.

2 minutes ago, siegementality said:

We did Rome, Florence, Pisa (one day as there’s not that much to it really) and Venice last year. We went in late September so it was less busy. Rome was actually surprisingly good. I expected it to be really touristy- which it is - but you didn’t have to stray too far to see the real everyday Rome. Florence was my favourite by far. It’s like an open air museum. Loads to do and see. Did a vintage Vespa tour into the Tuscan hills. Brilliant place. Venice was like being on a film set. Pretty expensive at all the tourist spots but we spent a lot of time in the areas were the locals lived. We travelled by train to each place. Cheap fares and the train service was top notch.

I suspect you may be a source of future information!

42 minutes ago, siegementality said:

We’ll be based in Sorrento for 8 days prior to going to Naples. We’ll be visiting Capri and exploring the Amalfi Coast from there. Any info would be welcome 👍

Have been to Sorrento twice, including last month to get married. Have never ventured into Naples but some of our guests did when they were over for the wedding and it's fair to say that none of them would go back. A couple of folk were meant to stay a few nights and left early.

You'll love Sorrento, it's a cracking wee place. Definitely head down to Marina Grande one night for a meal at one of the restaurants down there.

I recommended a restaurant called Da Gigino's, which is central and down one of the many side streets, to loads of our friends and they all loved it and went back multiple times. Good for lunch or dinner. I had the steak one night and it was brilliant.

Francis Albert

If you are in that part of the world and are at all interested in antiquities (and even if you are not) , Paestum is well worth a visit. An ancient Greek city, it has some of the best preserved Doric temples anywhere, dating from 450 to 600bc. The site was overgrown and abandoned in vegetation and a malarial swamp for centuries and rediscovered in the 18th century. It is somewhat off the beaten tourist track and is much less visited  than similar places elsewhere, and peaceful and quiet to stroll around. An hour and a half or less from Naples by train.

Naples itself? - we felt quite safe even near the station where the main risk is spending too much on a fake and badly made designer handbag or such like. The usual advice - don't look too much like a tourist and/or worth robbing and I think you will be OK. The Spanish Quarter however has a bad reputation and looked a bit daunting to us, but you can get a feel for it from the main street at the bottom of the hill without venturing too far into the labyrinth of streets on the hillside. I don't think there is enough for me in Naples itself for  4 days so would advise having a couple of excursions in mind.

I wouldn't drive in the city. The driving is not that much worse than other Italian cities but the signposting is non-existent and the geography beyond the sea front difficult to get your mind round. We eventually got a taxi to lead us to the airport!

Edited by Francis Albert

siegementality
2 hours ago, Boris said:

I suspect you may be a source of future information!

Happy to help 😊

siegementality
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Have been to Sorrento twice, including last month to get married. Have never ventured into Naples but some of our guests did when they were over for the wedding and it's fair to say that none of them would go back. A couple of folk were meant to stay a few nights and left early.

You'll love Sorrento, it's a cracking wee place. Definitely head down to Marina Grande one night for a meal at one of the restaurants down there.

I recommended a restaurant called Da Gigino's, which is central and down one of the many side streets, to loads of our friends and they all loved it and went back multiple times. Good for lunch or dinner. I had the steak one night and it was brilliant.

It seems Naples is certainly an acquired taste. I’ll just see what it’s like when I get there. 

I’ll give Da Gigino’s a try for sure 👍

Loved the place! So much history, good food, relatively cheap. Can't believe some of the comments here 😆, right enough you don't hear loud scottish and English accents unless you go up the coast a bit. Maybe it's not a touristy city.

siegementality
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

If you are in that part of the world and are at all interested in antiquities (and even if you are not) , Paestum is well worth a visit. An ancient Greek city, it has some of the best preserved Doric temples anywhere, dating from 450 to 600bc. The site was overgrown and abandoned in vegetation and a malarial swamp for centuries and rediscovered in the 18th century. It is somewhat off the beaten tourist track and is much less visited  than similar places elsewhere, and peaceful and quiet to stroll around. An hour and a half or less from Naples by train.

Naples itself? - we felt quite safe even near the station where the main risk is spending too much on a fake and badly made designer handbag or such like. The usual advice - don't look too much like a tourist and/or worth robbing and I think you will be OK. The Spanish Quarter however has a bad reputation and looked a bit daunting to us, but you can get a feel for it from the main street at the bottom of the hill without venturing too far into the labyrinth of streets on the hillside. I don't think there is enough for me in Naples itself for  4 days so would advise having a couple of excursions in mind.

I wouldn't drive in the city. The driving is not that much worse than other Italian cities but the signposting is non-existent and the geography beyond the sea front difficult to get your mind round. We eventually got a taxi to lead us to the airport!

Thanks for the info. Paestum sounds a good bet. I’ve nothing worth robbing and tend to blend in ok when abroad so will be ok. No chance of driving in Italy, not worth the stress. 

siegementality
3 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

Loved the place! So much history, good food, relatively cheap. Can't believe some of the comments here 😆, right enough you don't hear loud scottish and English accents unless you go up the coast a bit. Maybe it's not a touristy city.

It’s starting to lose its reputation but would still appear to be a bit marmite. It will no doubt have it’s issues the same as any other city. I’ll just jump in and enjoy it for what it is 👍

Start off with the best white knuckle ride in the world.

The taxi to Naples centre.

Then try and cross the road.

Makes the Romans look like amateurs.😂😂😂

Great city.Nothing special to look at but loads to do.

Trip advisor a must for things to do in Naples and nearby

Stadium a pain in the arse to get to and badly run down.

44 minutes ago, siegementality said:

It’s starting to lose its reputation but would still appear to be a bit marmite. It will no doubt have it’s issues the same as any other city. I’ll just jump in and enjoy it for what it is 👍

I'd recommend: a good few hours at Pompeii, from there you can get a cheap public bus to mt. Vesuvius (ignore the touts telling you there is no public bus). We did this in one day which was great.

The famous pizza places - Sorbillo's, we had to wait for 30 mins but weren't that bothered so went for a wander and heard our name being called just after getting back. Also, Ristirante Antica de Michele  - unbelievable pizza, you get the choice of cheese or no-cheese.

The chapel with the veiled Christ!

Tour of the underground was decent

Boat trip to one of the islands was a great day too. Enjoy!

3 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Never been but I’ve heard it’s an utter shithole. 

That’s what we had heard before actually going. It wasn’t.

Like any big city, it has it's dodgy areas, but not really any worse than say, Marseille which has a shit reputation here in France but is actually ok.

We’d heard the same about Genoa but still went along. We’ve now been there the past 4 Junes and love it.

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, Stewie Griffin said:

Visited Naples around 10 or so years ago when I was in the Navy definitely one of the worst places I’ve been 

Agreed. Been a few times with the Mob and it was rough as ****. Up there with Marseille, Izmir and Djibouti. 

3 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

Also, Ristirante Antica de Michele  - unbelievable pizza, you get the choice of cheese or no-cheese.

Not really a choice is it?

27 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Not really a choice is it?

Depends if you like cheese or not. You could of course say for years that you don't like cheese and then one day decide that you do though. But who would do that? Probably the type of person who chooses to sit on the toilet rim instead of the toilet seat.

I've been to Napoli quite a few times. Best pizza in the world. Gino Sorbillo and Di Matteo both in Via dei Tribunali in the old town are top drawer. The coffee is also something different even by Italy's high standards

In terms of sightseeing, most people head for Pompei but Hercolaneum is also worth a visit. It can be reached easily on the Circumvisuviano railway. 

In terms of the islands Capri is the most famous one but Ischia and Procida are both easy to get to and Ischia is much bigger than Capri so doesn't feel as nearly as crowded.

Naples definitely has more of an edge to it than most Italian cities so important to keep your wits about you especially at night. But it's a city with plenty of character and plenty to see.

12 hours ago, Morgan said:

That’s what we had heard before actually going. It wasn’t.

Like any big city, it has it's dodgy areas, but not really any worse than say, Marseille which has a shit reputation here in France but is actually ok.

We’d heard the same about Genoa but still went along. We’ve now been there the past 4 Junes and love it.

Marseilles is way ahead of naples 

18 hours ago, siegementality said:

Train to Pompeii is about 20 mins.

Bus from outside train station down tha Amalfi coast. Sit on the right hand side on the way to Amalfi.

Good Scottish bar in Sorrento called the Horseshoe run by nice Italian couple.

Son and cousins run the Irish and English bars nearby.

Tavern Allegra was good for food and fun music chef and waiters playing the instruments.

You'll probably end up with a tambourine , I did.

Near to Horseshoe as well recommended.