Naples

siegementality

13 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Not really a choice is it?

It is for me.

I very occasionally like a small amount of cheese on a pizza but, in the main, I opt for no cheese at all.

My wife loves cheese on pizza and frequently has the ‘Quatre fromage’ when we eat pizza here or the ‘Quattro formaggio’ when we eat it Italy, which is much more often.

2 hours ago, glynnlondon said:

Train to Pompeii is about 20 mins.

Bus from outside train station down tha Amalfi coast. Sit on the right hand side on the way to Amalfi.

Good Scottish bar in Sorrento called the Horseshoe run by nice Italian couple.

Son and cousins run the Irish and English bars nearby.

Tavern Allegra was good for food and fun music chef and waiters playing the instruments.

You'll probably end up with a tambourine , I did.

Near to Horseshoe as well recommended.

The Horseshoe is the least Scottish Scottish Bar in the world. Also, bit dodgy with the drinks charges where a large bottle of Peroni can go from 4 euros to 12 euros in the blink of an eye.

The Continental Op
22 hours ago, siegementality said:

Anyone been to Naples? I’m off there next month with the Mrs for four days.

Anybody got any tips, places of interest, things to avoid, etc. We are into a bit culture, music, food and wine. I know the city has a bit of a rough reputation but I’m sure we’ll enjoy it.

We’ll be getting tickets for the Napoli v Brescia game so the footy is sorted 😊

Thanks in advance.

Smells a bit in the less than high class areas. The big museum is certainly worth a visit as are the surrounding sights reachable by train (Pompeii, Herculaeneum, the mountains to the South) or ferry - Capri, Ischia etc.

Use the underground - and stop off at Toledo station, voted the most beautiful in Europe.

The area around here's pretty good too.  Gallery Umberto in particular.

Art Stations The coolest of the Naples Metro Toledo station

Auld Reekin'
23 hours ago, Boris said:

Flying to Naples on Tuesday as it happens.

Staying a night just outside then doing a road trip of the South of Italy.  

Heading over to East coast, then down to Lecce, up to Matera, somewhere else (not sure, some farmhouse in middle of nowhere) then amalfi coast, then back to Naples.

Really looking forward to it!

Sounds brilliant.

Never been to Naples, but have read quite a bit about the place and its culture and history. Not sure whether I fancy it or not: I certainly don't insist on wherever I go being a pristine, crime-free, earthly paradise (just as well, really!  :ermm: ), but neither do I want to have to be on high-alert and looking over my shoulder the whole time. Mebbies si, mebbies no...

5 hours ago, glynnlondon said:

Bus from outside train station down tha Amalfi coast. Sit on the right hand side on the way to Amalfi.

Tavern Allegra was good for food and fun music chef and waiters playing the instruments.

Watch yourself on the train when we were on it there was a pickpocketing gang working the service

At least 4 in every carriage..they all jumped off at one of the stations before Pompeii 

Ranged from kids to well dressed guys in their 60s

siegementality
4 hours ago, felix said:

Use the underground - and stop off at Toledo station, voted the most beautiful in Europe.

The area around here's pretty good too.  Gallery Umberto in particular.

Art Stations The coolest of the Naples Metro Toledo station

I’m staying in the Toledo area 👍

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, glynnlondon said:

Visiting a Scottish bar in Italy :vrface:

22 hours ago, Morgan said:

That’s what we had heard before actually going. It wasn’t.

Like any big city, it has it's dodgy areas, but not really any worse than say, Marseille which has a shit reputation here in France but is actually ok.

We’d heard the same about Genoa but still went along. We’ve now been there the past 4 Junes and love it.

Fair enough. I heard it was all Rats, rubbish and mafia. 😄

12 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Fair enough. I heard it was all Rats, rubbish and rent boys 😄

Nah!

That’s Easter Road.  :whistling:

i have the details for a great geordie-speaking tour-guide for herculeum and pompeii.probably best to book with him before you go.

just ask and ill send the details or is it ok to just post them up on here?

13 hours ago, Boof said:

Aw...this thread really makes me want to visit Italy. 

Been on the list for a while.

Go, it's fantastic. 

See Naples and Die.

Pigsty of a place. Graffiti everywhere. The dock area can be very intimidating with 'looky looky' men all over the place. Avoid, Not one redeeming quality.

AlphonseCapone

Give me a Naples over an overcrowded and expensive "paradise" full to the brim with Brits and Yanks. 

On 22/08/2019 at 19:49, Angus Ogg said:

If you travel along the Amalfi coast go to Amalfi cathedral that’s where the remains of St Andrew is

Took this photo of Bishop Andrew while there, he wasn't well thought of apparently.  ;) 

12670890_10153479990320918_6317569182266845597_n.jpg

siegementality
9 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

See Naples and Die.

Pigsty of a place. Graffiti everywhere. The dock area can be very intimidating with 'looky looky' men all over the place. Avoid, Not one redeeming quality.

Offt!

behindthegoal
On 22/08/2019 at 23:28, stirlo said:

In terms of sightseeing, most people head for Pompei but Hercolaneum is also worth a visit. It can be reached easily on the Circumvisuviano railway. 

In terms of the islands Capri is the most famous one but Ischia and Procida are both easy to get to and Ischia is much bigger than Capri so doesn't feel as nearly as crowded.

Don't buy a tour of anything. The train is easy to use and you can pay on entry to all the sites. Save yourself tons. Napoli is rough but not as rough as most British Cities. Food & drink or coffees are cheap away from the tourist areas. The Museum used to be shut on a Tuesday, you'll have to check. Amalfi coast is gorgeous as is Capri. Well worth the ferry price.

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 06:03, Hunky Dory said:

One of the better places I've visited in Italy.  It's raw, but you can get happily lost walking in side streets - would recommend a tour!  

The  pizza is unbelievable.

Don't miss Pompeii and a trek up Vesuvius as well!

The hills are hard though in the hot weather.All the attractions seem to be uphill getting to them.

Edited by benny

We did an underground tour when in Naples, which was very interesting showing the various usage of the tunnels including one of them as a car pound, the vehicles are still there. 

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2016/10/the-forgotten-tunnel-under-naples.html?m=1

I agree with everybody else, Naples is not the prettiest off places. I preferred herculaneum to Pompeii, although the brothel building and various paintings in Pompeii were interesting... Sorrento is a lovely place as is the Amalfi coast. Capri is an acquired taste I'd say. Busier than the royal mile at the height of the festival but just rammed full of up themselves folk dripping in designer labels. I also think they pack the mini shuttle buses as full as they do to stop you from falling over when you faint due to the heat in them. The chair lift trip to the top of the island and walk back down is nice however.

On 24/08/2019 at 13:52, EH11_2NL said:

See Naples and Die.

Pretty damning post that.

We had heard of it’s bad reputation but still went, for the first time. In 2015. It was fine, some nice areas, good restaurants, decent people etc.etc.

We have been back twice more and really like it, it’s exciting and vibrant.

As I said earlier in the thread, every major city has it’s dodgy areas. Naples is no different.

Genoa has a poor reputation also, we have visited it every June for the past four years and similiarly, find it fine.

Can I ask how many times you’ve visited Naples? Which parts of it did you see?

On 24/08/2019 at 14:29, AlphonseCapone said:

Give me a Naples over an overcrowded and expensive "paradise" full to the brim with Brits and Yanks. 

:spoton: See my post above.

It's been five yrs since I spent a long weekend there.  Lots covered already so I won't regurgitate ..

Anyway, if you're there over a weekend great and the weather fine I'm sure you'll have a great time wandering around the old town, drinking in piazzas and eating phenomenal pizza.  Locals seemed to drink Tennents Super but you'll get large bottles of Moretti for less - I know!!

Saturday - Vomero was a posh area up on the hill for fancy shopping and general strolling early evening plus ice cream - top notch.  This was on the back of a home win vs Roma so everybody was in a good mood and I guessed more folks were out & about.  Hope for a win, which I'm sure will be the case.  Also good views of the city from up there at night - by day I suspect it'll be a bit hazy.

Sunday afternoon, there were loads of families out and about dressed to the nines down on the promenade west of Castel del Ovo.  Again if weather is good would be a nice way too hang and people watch, or you could drop an eccy and play keepie-uppie on the beach, I guess.

Don't get too pissed and lose your hotel; that's my last piece of advice. :D

siegementality
On 29/08/2019 at 06:10, ArcticJambo said:

It's been five yrs since I spent a long weekend there.  Lots covered already so I won't regurgitate ..

Anyway, if you're there over a weekend great and the weather fine I'm sure you'll have a great time wandering around the old town, drinking in piazzas and eating phenomenal pizza.  Locals seemed to drink Tennents Super but you'll get large bottles of Moretti for less - I know!!

Saturday - Vomero was a posh area up on the hill for fancy shopping and general strolling early evening plus ice cream - top notch.  This was on the back of a home win vs Roma so everybody was in a good mood and I guessed more folks were out & about.  Hope for a win, which I'm sure will be the case.  Also good views of the city from up there at night - by day I suspect it'll be a bit hazy.

Sunday afternoon, there were loads of families out and about dressed to the nines down on the promenade west of Castel del Ovo.  Again if weather is good would be a nice way too hang and people watch, or you could drop an eccy and play keepie-uppie on the beach, I guess.

Don't get too pissed and lose your hotel; that's my last piece of advice. :D

Thanks for the info 👍

siegementality
1 hour ago, Boris said:

Arrived in Matera today. Stunning. And they're filming the new Bond film here!

Spot the Astons under the covers!

image.jpeg

How cool it that!

2 hours ago, Boris said:

Arrived in Matera today. Stunning. And they're filming the new Bond film here!

Spot the Astons under the covers!

image.jpeg

Mamma mia!

Shurely not, Mishter Borish?

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Mamma mia!

Shurely not, Mishter Borish?

Si si!

Place is full of security and film crew.

Off for a bevvy with Dan C the now...

55 minutes ago, Boris said:

Si si!

Place is full of security and film crew.

Off for a bevvy with Dan C the now...

5DAECD78-AFCE-4319-A15D-D2799C00CF23.jpeg

• 3 months later...