*** Celtic v Heart Of Midlothian official match day thread***

Bazzas right boot

Our recent record at Parkhead is an embarrassment. Levein's record as manager at Parkhead is atrocious.

However, Celtic need to take the Europa League seriously after their Champion's League shame so hopefully they take their eye of the ball on Sunday.

Think we can sneak a point.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Away up in Gorgie

• Sagan

• Bazzas right boot

• Cruyff Turn

2 hours ago, DarioHMFC said:

Joel

Smith

Halkett

Berra

Hickey

Whelan

Irving

Damour

Clare

Washington

Mulraney

Subs: Doyle, Souttar, White, Bozanic, McDonald, Uche, Naismith

Hearts says 2-1 us but my head says 3-1 Celtic.

I don’t expect a result but I expect a performance. If we go and fold completely then I’ll, quite rightly, be annoyed but if we go and compete but get beat then I’ll not be as pissed. 

I like this as long as Whelan is properly up to speed.

Unlikely Souttar and Naismith will make the bench but you never know.

2 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

I like this as long as Whelan is properly up to speed.

Unlikely Souttar and Naismith will make the bench but you never know.

I like this as long as Whelan clatters Broonaldo.

Edited by Cheile

1 hour ago, Super_Hans said:

Our recent record at Parkhead is an embarrassment. Levein's record as manager at Parkhead is atrocious.

However, Celtic need to take the Europa League seriously after their Champion's League shame so hopefully they take their eye of the ball on Sunday.

The fans, the team and Levein need to be more positive than trying to “sneak a point”.

I would love us to have a real go for once at Parkhead.

As long as we go there and play well, which I think we can do. 

Midfield 3 of Whelan, Damour and Irving is good enough to compete with Celtic. Hopefully Naisy plays too. 

It’s a winnable game and we should setup and treat it as such. 

3 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

Irving should be starting. He ran the show against Motherwell imo.

He was also very good last time out at Celtic Park.

Please don't park the bus on the 18 yard box again.

Play to their weak spots and that is there defence.

Have a go for once and see what happens because when we go and sit back and defend we still get hammered.

The fact we've had 9 days to prepare for this game might help. No distractions and a chance for Whelan, Damour and even our Summer signings to get used to each other and whatever set up we use. 

Doing what Craig usually does (I'm not entirely sure what that is) simply won't work. It never has, never will. 

Nor is simply having a go but there are strategies and formations in between that can get us a positive result. Hopefully McPhee watched and analysed Cluj's efforts last week. 

Celtic 1 Hearts 2 and, if still available, I'm taking the 28-1 btts at Corals. 

Edited by martoon

6 hours ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Joel

Smith    Halkett   Berra   Hickey 

Damour  Whelan

Clare                                 Mulraney

Naismith 

Washington

The one weakness in this team is Clare.

Hampden Demolition
1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

The one weakness in this team is Clare.

Agreed but we are a bit thin on the ground when it comes to pace on the right hand side.

19 minutes ago, martoon said:

The fact we've had 9 days to prepare for this game might help. No distractions and a chance for Whelan, Damour and even our Summer signings to get used to each other and whatever set up we use. 

Doing what Craig usually does (I'm not entirely sure what that is) simply won't work. It never has, never will. 

Nor is simply having a go but there are strategies and formations in between that can get us a positive result. Hopefully McPhee watched and analysed Cluj's efforts last week. 

Celtic 1 Hearts 2 and, if still available, I'm taking the 28-1 btts at Corals. 

Yes and we do need to take Celtic on and win our individual battles. 

Plan will be a Defensive set up not to lose an early goal , keep it tight , sneak a late winner ................it will turn out , down a goal in the first 10 mins , a red card about 42 mins , lose game 5 nil .

It’s about balance, you can’t go to parkhead and go all guns blazing, they’ll pick you apart. We have to defend first and foremost and then  once your in the game start to get forward more. They’re not great at the back but there not exactly shite either, they still have players who can open us up, McGregor Forrest Griffiths, Edouard etc. We have Mulraneys pace, Washington’s movement and perhaps Naismith, behind those 3 it’s all about defending. If we come out of parkhead with a point it’ll be a great result and we may be the only team to do so in the league this season.

Away up in Gorgie

The last SPL win we had at Parkhead was 12 1/2 years ago!!  Since then we have gone there 21 times on league duty and the record is:

Played  21

Won  0

Drawn  3

Lost  18

For  7

Against  56

Can’t see anything changing Sunday. 

3 minutes ago, Away up in Gorgie said:

The last SPL win we had at Parkhead was 12 1/2 years ago!!  Since then we have gone there 21 times on league duty and the record is:

Played  21

Won  0

Drawn  3

Lost  18

For  7

Against  56

Can’t see anything changing Sunday. 

With the exception of Rangers I’m pretty sure our record isn’t too much different to every other team in Scotland

Away up in Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

With the exception of Rangers I’m pretty sure our record isn’t too much different to every other team in Scotland

Thats ok then. Nothing to see here. The 3rd biggest club in the country have a beyond shite record but it’s ok cos the rest, clubs with a fraction of our revenue, fanbase and resources are equally inept. Great way to look at things 😂 

4 minutes ago, Away up in Gorgie said:

Thats ok then. Nothing to see here. The 3rd biggest club in the country have a beyond shite record but it’s ok cos the rest, clubs with a fraction of our revenue, fanbase and resources are equally inept. Great way to look at things 😂 

That was some interpretation of what I said. I said every club is the same.. not that it was any sort of accolade.

Away up in Gorgie
1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

That was some interpretation of what I said. I said every club is the same.. not that it was any sort of accolade.

Which is completely irrelevant to our stat.  You attempted to justify the fact we’ve won 3pts (scoring just 7 goals) out of the 63 available points in our last 21 matches at Parkhead by using the woefully inadequate excuse that other teams have equally shite records though I’d hazard a guess few regular SPL teams are as bad!!! It’s thinking like this, sadly from within the club too, that sees Hearts as nothing but also rans year after year. 

Just now, Away up in Gorgie said:

Which is completely irrelevant to our stat.  You attempted to justify the fact we’ve won 3pts (scoring just 7 goals) out of the 63 available points in our last 21 matches at Parkhead by using the woefully inadequate excuse that other teams have equally shite records though I’d hazard a guess few regular SPL teams are as bad!!! It’s thinking like this, sadly from within the club too, that sees Hearts as nothing but also rans year after year. 

Did I really.. or did I point out all teams in the league are shite at parkhead? The rest you’ve just created in your head to make this point which you’ve clearly been desperate to do and needed a post to spring into action with. 

Would you concede that parkhead is the most difficult away fixture in the league? That the team going for 9 titles in a row has done so by winning their home games? Or are you just having a pop at the club?

Away up in Gorgie
10 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Did I really.. or did I point out all teams in the league are shite at parkhead? The rest you’ve just created in your head to make this point which you’ve clearly been desperate to do and needed a post to spring into action with. 

Would you concede that parkhead is the most difficult away fixture in the league? That the team going for 9 titles in a row has done so by winning their home games? Or are you just having a pop at the club?

Hahaha these are facts. Facts. 

You tried to rubbish them and are now  trying to justify Hearts horrific record at Parkhead as ok as others records are also bad. It’s a pathetic argument even if it has some element of truth but as I say reeks of the lack of ambition and lack of accountability for such a shite record. Obviously Celtic will always have a tremendous home record given the gashness of their opposition and the way teams, sadly including Hearts, go there and lie down but if you think 3pts out of 63  is excusable I can only laugh at you. 

8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

If we don't get ploughed in the first 20 minutes we'll have a chance. 

All too often we're all over the shot from the first whistle and chuck goals in right, left and centre. 

When we start well we match them for long periods and 8 think have players that can hurt them. 

If we don’t get ploughed in the first 20 mins, we’re probably more than capable of getting rammed rotten in the next 20 mins 😂

but on a serious note I agree if we can avoid wetting ourselves at the outset, as we often can, we can at least give it a respectable go!

12 minutes ago, Away up in Gorgie said:

Hahaha these are facts. Facts. 

You tried to rubbish them and are now  trying to justify Hearts horrific record at Parkhead as ok as others records are also bad. It’s a pathetic argument even if it has some element of truth but as I say reeks of the lack of ambition and lack of accountability for such a shite record. Obviously Celtic will always have a tremendous home record given the gashness of their opposition and the way teams, sadly including Hearts, go there and lie down but if you think 3pts out of 63  is excusable I can only laugh at you. 

So it’s true and you concede Celtic will always have a tremendous home record... but it’s pathetic that Hearts can’t win there?? Have you thought this through or have you decided that no matter what your going to stick to your point that we’re all losers?

Give us your game plan at Parkhead.. go on indulge yourself and be Hearts manager for 5 minutes... this should be good!

Away up in Gorgie
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

So it’s true and you concede Celtic will always have a tremendous home record... but it’s pathetic that Hearts can’t win there?? Have you thought this through or have you decided that no matter what your going to stick to your point that we’re all losers?

Give us your game plan at Parkhead.. go on indulge yourself and be Hearts manager for 5 minutes... this should be good!

Hahahaha. 

Hearts record at Parkhead is an utter disgrace and embarrassment REGARDLESS of the fact Celtic will always have a dominant home record and more often than not have a far better team than us. Nobody is arguing that they will beat us on a regular basis, what is being pointed out is that our efforts there are tragically bad. You are quite happy to throw pathetic excuses like well everyone else has a shit record there which merely proves the garbage attitude that too many have including plenty within the club that it’s a foregone conclusion. No wonder we go there and shit the bed year after year! 

Guest ToqueJambo
11 hours ago, Ted Hastings said:

Like others I am taking the optimism from the cup performance and feeling like we could sneak something on Sunday.

I'd go

Joel

Smith Halkett Berra Hickey

Whelan

Damour      Irving

McDonald  Washington  Mulraney

Uche, Clare and Maclean as options from the bench if we need to change it.

I like this team but I'd be tempted to start Uche wide right instead of MacDonald and give them something to worry about.

Joel

Smith Halkett Berra Hickey

Whelan Damour Irving 

Naismith Washington Mulraney

Decent team on paper, but Levein’s Old Firm away tactics will see us lose comfortably. 

Seems to me we now have a good number of very good players.  Shame that 4 of the best, Haring, Souttar, Walker and Naismith won't be available but our overall squad is much stronger now.  We also have the anticipation of Mashino making a telling and exciting contribution in the near future.

I don't think the side we can put out will show any fear of Celtic.  I'm therefore expecting a wholehearted performance and looking forward to it.

BackOfTheNet

It’s a free shot. Sometimes I think it’s pointless having the four away games in Glasgow each year and might as well just start the season on -12 points. It’s what we and others expect, a loss and usually a bad one. But I’m not accepting a loss for the sake of it - they should go with no pressure and take it to them. They’re really not that great a team and with Lennon they are nowhere near being tactically sound. If we lose, we lose. I can only accept that if we give it a go but they win due to the gulf in finances winning out in the end. I won’t accept setting up to draw and getting trounced. It’s infuriating.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Apologies for uncharacteristic rant from me.  Wrong side of bed etc.

Not particularly enamoured by Levein’s pre match interview this week.  Stinks of “let’s show more respect to our opponents and compromise our own abilities” in Glasgow yet again.  Also, based on his comment about Naisy’s fitness, I’d assume that we’re planning on just chasing shadows for 90 mins tomorrow rather than playing for a result.  Happy days! This is a team that struggled past Dunfermline at home last week FFS.   Show some ambition!

I also wish he would just stop talking about injury recoveries as well because he’s usually miles off.  Apparently Naismith was in a race against time to start last week after “the precautionary substitution” the week before.  Now he’s in a race against time a week later which tells me he’s either had a setback or we were bullshitting all along.  Naismith’s been with us for a season and a half and I don’t think I’ve seen him play for us against Celtic in Glasgow.  Another player rushed back to appease supporters, in the same vain as Uche, Berra (neither of whom have been the same since) and Haring (who will no doubt have spent half his career with us on the treatment table).  I’d say it’s a bit late to play the “precautionary” line with Naismith now Craig.  Don’t know what it is about us, but players with other teams seem to recover quicker from ACL injuries than ours do from feckin cramp.

All that said, aw the best on Sunday Craig and ‘mon the JTs 😉👍.

18 hours ago, Ted Hastings said:

Like others I am taking the optimism from the cup performance and feeling like we could sneak something on Sunday.

I'd go

Joel

Smith Halkett Berra Hickey

Whelan

Damour      Irving

McDonald  Washington  Mulraney

Uche, Clare and Maclean as options from the bench if we need to change it.

Will be the team I think apart from McDonald, Clare will definitely start 

highlandjambo3

Bottle to crash.....humped again.

Gut feeling we may score early against the run of play then, attempt to defend for 60 odd minutes (cos that often works well) conceding 3+ goals in the process.

19 hours ago, Super_Hans said:

League is their priority over the Europa League. The Huns look like they are mounting a serious challenge. There is no way Cheltic will be taking their eye off the ball against us. We need to be on top of our game, none of this sitting in shite. Get after them and we've got a squeak.

8 hours ago, Away up in Gorgie said:

Hahahaha. 

Hearts record at Parkhead is an utter disgrace and embarrassment REGARDLESS of the fact Celtic will always have a dominant home record and more often than not have a far better team than us. Nobody is arguing that they will beat us on a regular basis, what is being pointed out is that our efforts there are tragically bad. You are quite happy to throw pathetic excuses like well everyone else has a shit record there which merely proves the garbage attitude that too many have including plenty within the club that it’s a foregone conclusion. No wonder we go there and shit the bed year after year! 

Do you read back what you post?

So far you’ve conceded that Celtic dominate every team, they win almost all their home games and have a far better team than us! But end every mind numbing rant with the club are losers. I’ll remind you we ended their unbeaten run, the losers at tynecastle didn’t shit the bed that time or the time after that... I’ll await another response where you repeat the same pish for a 4th time. You can’t even tell us how you think we should approach the game to win... we’re just losers blah blah blah!

17 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Please don't park the bus on the 18 yard box again.

Play to their weak spots and that is there defence.

Have a go for once and see what happens because when we go and sit back and defend we still get hammered.

That's my thoughts.Don't go on the negative,play your game and attack them,if we play well and get beat,no complaints from me.

jack D and coke
22 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

We'll get beat and the brief couple of days of things being rosey, Levein being in the clear and the players be decent will be over.

Levein gtf, sack them all, full meltdown mode.

celtic win to nil. Awful record in Glasgow which won’t change.

:lol: 

Yep back to normal. 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Bottle to crash.....humped again.

Gut feeling we may score early against the run of play then, attempt to defend for 60 odd minutes (cos that often works well) conceding 3+ goals in the process.

I expect us to camp on our own 18 yard line as per inviting wave after wave of Celtic attack and giving them one of their easiest games of the season. Everybody back for free kicks and corners so as soon as it’s cleared they just pick up, saunter about and still pick us off. 

Father Collum to help them a bit if need be too. 

An absolute stroll in the park for them as per usual. 

Ted Hastings
8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I like this team but I'd be tempted to start Uche wide right instead of MacDonald and give them something to worry about.

I thought of doing the same, he can definitely cause them issues but I’d be worried that Berra and Halkett would be more tempted to just launch it in his direction anytime we are under a bit of pressure at the back and then leading to a turnover of possession back to them. Washington can be an effective out-ball with his clever runs and then we could bring on Uche last 20-30 mins when their defence is tiring. 

Shooter McGavin

We won’t win. 

5-0 to them would be my guess, but with the amount of goals they’ve been scoring it could be even higher. 

Edited by Shooter McGavin

Dallas Green
12 hours ago, Away up in Gorgie said:

Or maybe it's because Celtic being the only club who can year on year spend millions on football players.  Other clubs winning there is a rare occurrence.

If you took from the inception of the SPL years to now for the rest of the teams that have played them no one (other than probably Rangers) would have a record much better than ours. 

highlandjambo3
10 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Or maybe it's because Celtic being the only club who can year on year spend millions on football players.  Other clubs winning there is a rare occurrence.

If you took from the inception of the SPL years to now for the rest of the teams that have played them no one (other than probably Rangers) would have a record much better than ours. 

I get that and, I totally agree but it just grips my shit to see us fold..... we appear to give up to a man (with the exception of the odd 1 or 2).  Celtic have far better players than we do and it’s given that they should win more often than not, tbh that should relieve the pressure on us.  It just seems like we never ever have a go over their place.  

In here we quite often big up other teams who have a right go at them often failing by the odd goal in the 97th minute (sometimes the 12th man helps) and often “that’s what we should do” is banded about in here but it never happens.

Whats a given on Sunday is that we will be frustrated by watching our players underperform, players we know are much better than they will show.  Lots of balls will be punted/cleared/scaffed up the park to no one as we clear our lines again and again.  A couple of corners with the odd shot or two on/off target.  The odd Quick counter when our keeper goes to throw out the ball but everyone running away with no takers.....you know the scene.....ah well.

But.... being a Jambo I will always remain optimistic......”come on, intay them”

Dallas Green
2 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I get that and, I totally agree but it just grips my shit to see us fold..... we appear to give up to a man (with the exception of the odd 1 or 2).  Celtic have far better players than we do and it’s given that they should win more often than not, tbh that should relieve the pressure on us.  It just seems like we never ever have a go over their place.  

In here we quite often big up other teams who have a right go at them often failing by the odd goal in the 97th minute (sometimes the 12th man helps) and often “that’s what we should do” is banded about in here but it never happens.

Whats a given on Sunday is that we will be frustrated by watching our players underperform, players we know are much better than they will show.  Lots of balls will be punted/cleared/scaffed up the park to no one as we clear our lines again and again.  A couple of corners with the odd shot or two on/off target.  The odd Quick counter when our keeper goes to throw out the ball but everyone running away with no takers.....you know the scene.....ah well.

But.... being a Jambo I will always remain optimistic......”come on, intay them”

I hate seeing us fold as well. I'd love to go to Celtic and beat them in front of their manky fans.

It's frustrating going to Celtic because we know, normally we are in for a tanking. Certain players get away with certain things as well. It's not usually a good experience.

It's the same for all teams though. 

I think if we play the same team as we did against Motherwell (minus Walker and maybe swap in Whelan) we will come away from that shitehole with something.

Probably being far too optimistic though. 

Every time we go through I’m optimistic but it never happens, Not confident it’s going to be different this time. We will lose by atleast a couple.

The last time I can remember is having a go at Celtic Park was a 3-1 defeat a year or two ago. We just didn’t play very well first half and we’re sloppy in possession. 2nd half was much better though. 

Levein knows how to beat Celtic, but to do so requires high energy and most of our team to play well. Certainly doable.

39 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

I hate seeing us fold as well. I'd love to go to Celtic and beat them in front of their manky fans.

It's frustrating going to Celtic because we know, normally we are in for a tanking. Certain players get away with certain things as well. It's not usually a good experience.

It's the same for all teams though. 

I think if we play the same team as we did against Motherwell (minus Walker and maybe swap in Whelan) we will come away from that shitehole with something.

Probably being far too optimistic though. 

I would play Whelan , Damour and Irving in , basically a 4-3-2-1 . Depending on how game goes this can be very flexible with Naismith etc on the bench . Damour or Irving can move forward .

Seems sensible way to play them but , daresay , Levein will get slaughtered if he does that