Union Berlin

Mr Sifter

14 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Boy in the work is a fan of theirs. Was telling me about this silent protest they had on Saturday. Their first ever game in the German top flight, against Red Bull Leipzig. Seemingly (so I am told) the protest was against Red Bull, and they way they’ve bulldozed their way through the leagues by throwing money at everything. The wiki quote below probably explains it better. The video is worth a wee watch, the fans counting down the last ten seconds of the protest was decent 👍🏼

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how they get on this season. They got battered four zip on Saturday...things can only get better!

76F08104-8219-4698-BD59-0AF3408DAE1F.jpeg

EDIT Oops, just realised the video is from their FIRST protest against RB, which took place when both sides were in the German second tier, in 2014 🙄 Wiki even mentions it above ffs 🙃 Anyway, they had another on Saturday 😊

Which Scottish club does your colleague support? Just wondering because I work with a lad who supports them and Rangers, but he's becoming more and more disillusioned because there seems to be a bit of a Celtic connection with Union. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Locky said:

Which Scottish club does your colleague support? Just wondering because I work with a lad who supports them and Rangers, but he's becoming more and more disillusioned because there seems to be a bit of a Celtic connection with Union. :lol:

Strange as St Pauli club shop sells Celtic shit and also a Spanish team one of the smaller ones. Don't think Union and St Pauli hit it off to be honest.

2 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Strange as St Pauli club shop sells Celtic shit and also a Spanish team one of the smaller ones. Don't think Union and St Pauli hit it off to be honest.

I'm not sure what the connection is. There was a video of Union's tribute I saw yesterday where a Celtic scarf could be seen and the boy I work with says Union UK fanclub Twitter, there's a lot of Celtic fans on it.

There's a rivalry involved with Union and St Pauli, but I think it's in a somewhat tasteful way, as they are 2 clubs with similar views and political stances from what I understand.

49 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

My son and I attended this friendly in 2011.We were impressed with fans and stadium.Union Berlin are based in Kopenick which is in south east Berlin.The Nazis came down hard on the place because they saw it as a hotbed of communism. 

That was a great trip

1 minute ago, Locky said:

I'm not sure what the connection is. There was a video of Union's tribute I saw yesterday where a Celtic scarf could be seen and the boy I work with says Union UK fanclub Twitter, there's a lot of Celtic fans on it.

There's a rivalry involved with Union and St Pauli, but I think it's in a somewhat tasteful way, as they are 2 clubs with similar views and political stances from what I understand.

Maybe the glory hunting Tim's have turned their backs on St Pauli now Union are in the big league.

He Who Cannot Be Named
1 hour ago, Alan_R said:

I already noted that red bull is a huge global corporation. At no point did I say it was exactly the same. Merely that to much lesser extents other teams have bought their way to success.

In the case of ostersunds I've done more reading and seems I was under false impression of them. So happy to read otherwise.

Well done on putting your point over by being as much of a dick as possible though. Kickback for arseholes indeed

Mate, you said it was 'no different'. That means exactly the same as exactly the same! You're having a mare!

36 minutes ago, Locky said:

Missing the point completely on these ones. It's not really as simple as 'they've got more money than us, so we hate them'. Tradition within German football is very strong, so much so that almost every club adheres to the 50+1 rule, where as mentioned, 51% of the club is owned by the fans shares. This is designed so that ultimately, the fans call the shots. Red Bull bought the licence back in 2009 of Markenstadt and just flooded the cash in from there. They do still have a philosophy in place however. Rather than just spend silly money on any old shite like your usual rich clubs, they have a policy of only signing players under the age of 24. Still though, that's not the done thing in Germany to have a football club who are fully funded by a corporation, and because of this, everyone in Germany hates them. The city of Leipzig deserved to have at least one successful football team, but there are a few well supported, far more historic clubs already, namely Lokomotiv. 

German fans are fighting tooth and nail every year to make sure that football still belongs to the fans. They don't want the Bundesliga to go like La Liga or EPL and become a sort of billionaires playground that disappears up it's own arse. Plus, this was a sort of East German derby if you will too, so added heat in this match, at least from an Union point of view.

Pretty much this.

RB is easily the most hated, but uber traditional fans also dislike Wolfsburg, Bayer and Hoffenheim for the same reasons.

In fairness, Wolfsburg and Bayer have become long established clubs, but Wolfsburg are funded by Volkswagen, and Leverkusen are, well, the clue's in the name Bayer. Hoffenheim pretty much done what Leipzig have done, albeit TSG were already a club before SAP bought into them. The club play in Sinsheim, as Hoffenheim itself is a village of 3,000 people.

Thanks for background info!

48 minutes ago, Locky said:

Hibs 🤢

27 minutes ago, He Who Cannot Be Named said:

Mate, you said it was 'no different'. That means exactly the same as exactly the same! You're having a mare!

Aye could've worded it better but it's typed quickly on a phone on a football forum. stood corrected on ostersunds and explained myself above. If you want to keep coming over the prentientious prick crack on.

Wasn't defending RB, just feel union should probably be enjoying their own successes (getting to bundesliga) as there is plenty ways money has affected the modern game (not for the better)

Interesting given Lockys post that it's not entirely isolated even in Germany apparently

tolcross lad
46 minutes ago, the general said:

That was a great trip

My wife went to shops  and we to the football.Sunny day ,cold beer great fans.Remember 2 Hearts flags on the day Penicuik and Brauhaus.Storms were gathering for the club but who could have guessed the season would end as it did.

59 minutes ago, Locky said:

When I was over in Hamburg (st Pauli) it seems as if Celtic over there are seen as one of the world's 'left wing' teams. I guess with all the free Palestine and 'greatest fans in the world' myth. You have to say this for Celtic their PR is on point... 😞

7 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

When I was over in Hamburg (st Pauli) it seems as if Celtic over there are seen as one of the world's 'left wing' teams. I guess with all the free Palestine and 'greatest fans in the world' myth. You have to say this for Celtic their PR is on point... 😞

In a lot of countries, Celtic has this reputation and it does my ****ing head in. I take great pride in educating locals that Celtic are as scummy and historically the least left wing club you'll find.

Where they've built up this idea that they are some kind of freedom fighters, I will never know.

Went to union v st pauli last year and followed union since.  A brilliant matchday experience and their fans are superb. Hoping to get back this year although might need to be an away day unless my German contact can sort tickets.  

9 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

A tribute to deceased fans is a nice gesture, but "selling" tickets to dead fans !!!

Sounds a bit "commercial" to me, the sort of thing they had their protest about

I never said they sold tickets to dead fans.

To clarify Fans paid the price of a ticket for the club to print photos of deceased supporters who did not get to see their club in the Bundesliga. The club then counted them as if they were in attendance 

They never actually sold tickets effectively a donation to the club. 

Edited by Hesh

The Treasurer
14 hours ago, Hesh said:

I never said they sold tickets to dead fans.

To clarify Fans paid the price of a ticket for the club to print photos of deceased supporters who did not get to see their club in the Bundesliga. The club then counted them as if they were in attendance 

They never actually sold tickets effectively a donation to the club. 

:thumbsup:

We were chatting to Prychynenkos dad at the game and he was telling us how much his son loved Edinburgh and Hearts... another of the next big things to slip away.

on checking how to spell his name I found out that he actually played for Union for a season after leaving us

On 21/08/2019 at 11:16, Locky said:

Missing the point completely on these ones. It's not really as simple as 'they've got more money than us, so we hate them'. Tradition within German football is very strong, so much so that almost every club adheres to the 50+1 rule, where as mentioned, 51% of the club is owned by the fans shares. This is designed so that ultimately, the fans call the shots. Red Bull bought the licence back in 2009 of Markenstadt and just flooded the cash in from there. They do still have a philosophy in place however. Rather than just spend silly money on any old shite like your usual rich clubs, they have a policy of only signing players under the age of 24. Still though, that's not the done thing in Germany to have a football club who are fully funded by a corporation, and because of this, everyone in Germany hates them. The city of Leipzig deserved to have at least one successful football team, but there are a few well supported, far more historic clubs already, namely Lokomotiv. 

German fans are fighting tooth and nail every year to make sure that football still belongs to the fans. They don't want the Bundesliga to go like La Liga or EPL and become a sort of billionaires playground that disappears up it's own arse. Plus, this was a sort of East German derby if you will too, so added heat in this match, at least from an Union point of view.

Pretty much this.

RB is easily the most hated, but uber traditional fans also dislike Wolfsburg, Bayer and Hoffenheim for the same reasons.

In fairness, Wolfsburg and Bayer have become long established clubs, but Wolfsburg are funded by Volkswagen, and Leverkusen are, well, the clue's in the name Bayer. Hoffenheim pretty much done what Leipzig have done, albeit TSG were already a club before SAP bought into them. The club play in Sinsheim, as Hoffenheim itself is a village of 3,000 people.

The ones who have an issue with Wolfsburg and Bayer are being a bit harsh. While they may be owned by companies, this is due to the fact that they were both originally teams for employees. 

The Treasurer

Do you think English fans will start similar protests against citeh  as they were once an average football club that have now just become part of a global "brand" ?

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Do you think English fans will start similar protests against citeh  as they were once an average football club that have now just become part of a global "brand" ?

Not Premiership fanboys as their teams are also owned by ,mainly, overseas oligarchs.