Tom Boyd. Oh dear.

Biguche

And Celtic's response.. oh dear, oh dear!

The Scottish FA compliance officer is to review comments made by ex-Celtic captain Tom Boyd about referee John Beaton during Saturday's League Cup win against Dunfermline.

Commentating for CelticTV, the club ambassador criticised the referee for not awarding the hosts a penalty.

"If he doesn't know that's a penalty he should not be in the middle of the park refereeing a football game," Boyd said.

"He'll probably be welcomed down his pub tonight again."

Celtic said in a statement: "We have had absolutely no contact from the SFA in relation to this matter and, given the context and circumstances in which the comments were made, would be astonished if the matter were to be progressed. If it is, then we will respond robustly."

Holders Celtic beat Dunfermline 2-1 in extra time and during half-time of the additional 30-minute period, Boyd commented further on Beaton's decision not to give the hosts a spot-kick for handball.

"Old law, new law, no matter what kind of law, that is a penalty," he said. "How John Beaton hasn't given that... we've seen it before from referees like this. John Beaton not giving us penalty, absolutely stunning decision… standing alone there, I wonder what his thoughts are.

"I'm mystified… I'm not mystified. John Beaton as though it was a pre-meditated decision not to give that penalty because it was so late in the game, I'm not sure.

"It's come off his arm. Regardless of players down or whatever, he's not given a drop ball. So he's seen it hit the hand of the Dunfermline player and it should be a penalty. Outrageous decision from John Beaton.

"We've not played well, but once again a decision from a referee may cost us in this game, hopefully we'll go on and beat not the 10 men, not the 11 men of Dunfermline, but the 12 men."

The compliance officer is to investigate the nature of the comments.

Boyd played for Celtic between 1992 and 2003, winning eight trophies, and was capped 72 times by Scotland.

Hilarious coming from a club that has had an enormous number of dodgy decisions go their way over the years. I hope the SFA hammer them. I won’t hold my breath though.

6 minutes ago, Biguche said:

And Celtic's response.. oh dear, oh dear!

The Scottish FA compliance officer is to review comments made by ex-Celtic captain Tom Boyd about referee John Beaton during Saturday's League Cup win against Dunfermline.

Commentating for CelticTV, the club ambassador criticised the referee for not awarding the hosts a penalty.

"If he doesn't know that's a penalty he should not be in the middle of the park refereeing a football game," Boyd said.

"He'll probably be welcomed down his pub tonight again."

Celtic said in a statement: "We have had absolutely no contact from the SFA in relation to this matter and, given the context and circumstances in which the comments were made, would be astonished if the matter were to be progressed. If it is, then we will respond robustly."

Holders Celtic beat Dunfermline 2-1 in extra time and during half-time of the additional 30-minute period, Boyd commented further on Beaton's decision not to give the hosts a spot-kick for handball.

"Old law, new law, no matter what kind of law, that is a penalty," he said. "How John Beaton hasn't given that... we've seen it before from referees like this. John Beaton not giving us penalty, absolutely stunning decision… standing alone there, I wonder what his thoughts are.

"I'm mystified… I'm not mystified. John Beaton as though it was a pre-meditated decision not to give that penalty because it was so late in the game, I'm not sure.

"It's come off his arm. Regardless of players down or whatever, he's not given a drop ball. So he's seen it hit the hand of the Dunfermline player and it should be a penalty. Outrageous decision from John Beaton.

"We've not played well, but once again a decision from a referee may cost us in this game, hopefully we'll go on and beat not the 10 men, not the 11 men of Dunfermline, but the 12 men."

The compliance officer is to investigate the nature of the comments.

Boyd played for Celtic between 1992 and 2003, winning eight trophies, and was capped 72 times by Scotland.

Celtic playing the vicTims card again. Its time they ween heavily fined for bringing the game into disrepute. 

Why does this stuff always happen when we are the next opponents? Anyone be surprised if Celtic get a dodgy penalty against us on Sunday, or if we get a shocking red card or stonewall penalty turned down?

Raymond Reddington

Was Boyd not in that anyone but celtic video a few years back? It was against refs as well. Still no mention of the dive in the scottish cup final. You could make a montage out of the dives and penalties gollum has given them against us.

Standard stuff.     Characters like Boyd are typical of a wider delusion / hysteria in their ranks.     They actually do believe in this cobblers.     Completely beyond any known logic and reason.     The club's response is standard fayre once more.     Lower than a snake's bum.

What’s the deal with Tom Boyd, he was just before my time really. Is all the “everyone is against us” “we are the plucky underdogs winning against all odds” stuff some sort of attempt at parody? Or a satire?

SpruceBringsteen

Once (or is it yet) again - if there's a conspiracy against Celtic then it's the most pathetically incompetent conspiracy in the history of humanity.

6 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Why does this stuff always happen when we are the next opponents? Anyone be surprised if Celtic get a dodgy penalty against us on Sunday, or if we get a shocking red card or stonewall penalty turned down?

Wouldn't be surprised if all of those happened, it is all a bit previous. 

stranraer-jambo
5 minutes ago, smiler said:

Wouldn't be surprised if all of those happened, it is all a bit previous. 

Father Collum will make sure..... 

12 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

It's probably being directed from the Celtic boardroom. Get the narrative going that refs are anti-Celtic, scare them into giving anything borderline in Celtic's favour.

Boyd implies Beaton is biased.

Celtic imply it doesn't matter because it was only on Celtic tv which is internal, private event which should be ignored. 

Edited by Mikey1874

32 minutes ago, Tenor said:

Celtic’s statements are an absolute embarrassment!

This.

absolute bellends in that shameful club

They've won every trophy for 3 years.

They are going for 9 titles in a row.

They win nearly every game they play, often by a cart load of goals.

And they can still come out with this stuff. 

It's a complete lack of class, reality and perspective that still manages to amaze me. 

Edited by Snorri1

Same every season, just a bit earlier than normal because they've realised Lennon may not be up to the task of total domination.

Get the refs questioning decisions and play the percentages. 

They're experts at it.

47 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Once (or is it yet) again - if there's a conspiracy against Celtic then it's the most pathetically incompetent conspiracy in the history of humanity.

:D

John Beaton is biased though.

Lets not pretend he's actually innocent? The guy is arguably the most obvious of all the referees who're clearly huns. His officiating in games we've had against the huns has been nothing short of offensive. 

He's not fit to referee and the quicker he's chased out the better. 

17 minutes ago, Snorri1 said:

They've won every trophy for 3 years.

They are going for 9 titles in a row.

They win nearly every game they play, often by a cart load of goals.

And they can still come out with this stuff. 

It's a complete lack of class, reality and perspective that still manages to amaze me. 

Except in European matches when they can’t rely on Scottish refs.  Funny dat.

Captain Sausage
12 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Image result for tom boyd scotland brazil

****ing *****.

Better a man down than that slimy ****. 

If it was anyone but the OF, it’d be a certainty that the SFA would throw the book at them. I’ll hold my breath. 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

John Beaton is biased though.

Lets not pretend he's actually innocent? The guy is arguably the most obvious of all the referees who're clearly huns. His officiating in games we've had against the huns has been nothing short of offensive. 

He's not fit to referee and the quicker he's chased out the better. 

Correct!

Tom Boyd getting in the hall of fame is the biggest travesty in Scottish football!! He’s clearly as good a commentator as he was a full back! Mr Bean look a like prick!

132goals1958
Just now, gorgie rd eh11 said:

Did he have much to say about the referee in the cup final when the celtic guy dived and cheated?

That is what Tom English mentioned when he really took Boyd and Celtic to task this evening.

Sexton Hardcastle

See when hearts/hibs/Aberdeen or anyone claim of bias against the old firm they wet themselves, the sfa charge us and they move on.

The OF pair can accuse refs of anything and buy into the idea there are conspiracies against them. Like actually believe that shit.

Madness.

TyphoonJambo
2 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

That is what Tom English mentioned when he really took Boyd and Celtic to task this evening.

Tom English, best Scottish football writer by a country mile. Says it how it is. 

The Apprentice
1 minute ago, TypoonJambo said:

Tom English, best Scottish football writer by a country mile. Says it how it is. 

Correct. Some really strong words against Boyd and Celtic from English on the radio tonight which was good to hear. 

These continual ‘statements’ from both halves of the Old Firm are becoming more embarrassing each time. Will never, ever accept that they are in the wrong and it’s always some else’s fault/problem. It was a cup tie at home to a Championship side and there’s conspiracy involved! 

Beaton is an awful referee but the guy and his family have been subject to horrendous abuse and threats recently. Those comments from Boyd were out of order and really don’t help the situation at all. 

English on bbc sportsound seemed to think it's ridiculous any sfa referee is biased.  Did he watch Dallas jr give The Rangers 4 pens in one game last season? 3 were nonsense per Stewart sat next to him in the studio.

N Lincs Jambo

Beaton, imho, is a corrupt cheat who favours Sevco as is Madden. Collum is the same but favours the west coast vermin. 

They probably would be decent if they reffed in other countries but they don’t and it’s never called into question by the authorities. 

In cricket until fairly recently test matches were umpired by umpires from the home nation but not any more. I would like to see Scottish matches reffed by officials from Europe and have our refs officiate overseas. At least then we’d get away from the bias

pharmaceutical01

Have you seen the photo in Tom English’s tweet?? We are obviously dealing with someone who is not the full schilling!

Corstorphine Jambo

I remember one of those player profile things from a good few years ago on Tom Boyd and he said his least favourite ground was Tynecastle. While I was delighted to read that, his reason was, for someone who played for Motherwell and Celtic, staggering. He said it was in the middle of a deprived (or depressing) area!

i can only assume Tom got a lift to training and games in the boot of a teammates car.

27 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Beaton, imho, is a corrupt cheat who favours Sevco as is Madden. Collum is the same but favours the west coast vermin. 

They probably would be decent if they reffed in other countries but they don’t and it’s never called into question by the authorities. 

In cricket until fairly recently test matches were umpired by umpires from the home nation but not any more. I would like to see Scottish matches reffed by officials from Europe and have our refs officiate overseas. At least then we’d get away from the bias

gollum was slated by both sides when he reffed the supercup last year

29 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

It annoys me that Rangers have banned the BBC. 

It's a ridiculous situation, and it is years old. 

They haven't. BBC refuse to send anyone to their home games

11 minutes ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

I remember one of those player profile things from a good few years ago on Tom Boyd and he said his least favourite ground was Tynecastle. While I was delighted to read that, his reason was, for someone who played for Motherwell and Celtic, staggering. He said it was in the middle of a deprived (or depressing) area!

i can only assume Tom got a lift to training and games in the boot of a teammates car.

A complete arse of a bloke. 

43 minutes ago, Biguche said:

They haven't. BBC refuse to send anyone to their home games

Not strictly true is it ?

Rangers banned a BBC journalist and , of course , won't walk away .

Clubs , companies , whatever cannot be allowed to censor the media .

I would like to think Hearts would not descend to this behaviour