Going Veggie

jake

Governor Tarkin
Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Nope. Thought I explained myself perfectly well and you are either a troll or extremely dim witted individual. 

No need for the personal stuff, mate.  :(

This should be a happy thread to celebrate Jake's future carrion-free lifestyle.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Governor Tarkin

• ri Alban

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, RS86 said:

There was a time when I could handle lots of stims funny enough, was less into training haha.

It's an eye opener how PWO's can spike blood pressure, mine rocketed. Funny enough my mate took a reaction to so PWO last week and ended up in hospital covered in hives

Wonder if its elevated levels of beta-alinine that caused that. There used to be a usn “diet” assistent loaded with it and before I was savvy id tried it and felt like my blood was boiling inside me. Is he alright now? 

When your arm heals you could always just buy separate ingredients and make ones more tailored at explosive power. Just no going too hard to fast

13 minutes ago, sadj said:

Wonder if its elevated levels of beta-alinine that caused that. There used to be a usn “diet” assistent loaded with it and before I was savvy id tried it and felt like my blood was boiling inside me. Is he alright now? 

When your arm heals you could always just buy separate ingredients and make ones more tailored at explosive power. Just no going too hard to fast

Yeah they treated him for allergic reaction and he was fine the next day. Good chance it was the beta-alanine

Last 5 years or so I've just stuck to coffee.

Anyhow, a bit off topic lol. So, carrots...

16 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Yeah they treated him for allergic reaction and he was fine the next day. Good chance it was the beta-alanine

Last 5 years or so I've just stuck to coffee.

Anyhow, a bit off topic lol. So, carrots...

Some of the pre’s now are proper ott. Guessing your mate knows what he is doing in the gym but I used to see lads coming in to the vit shop to buy pre and they’d been gymming a couple weeks and there was no telling them its a waste of time , then they wanted the strongest one.🙈

However as you said , Broccoli , mushrooms , kale , spinach , boiled eggs and sprouts.....🧐

9 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Humans have evolved, giving us the teeth, jaws, and intestines of a herbivore.

Humans don't have spiky teeth. Our teeth are not suitable for seizing and tearing flesh. Compare human teeth to those of ,say, a cat.  Cats are carnivores and they do have spiky teeth.

We have jaws that move from side to side as we chew, just like a cow.  Carnivores' jaws move up and down only. Watch a dog's jaw next time you see it chewing something.

Human intestines are very long, just like other herbivores. Carnivore intestines are much shorter, so that decaying flesh is moved out of the body faster..

Possibly as a result of evolution not needing us to hunt, capture and eat animals raw perhaps? 

I don't have any problem with people choosing not to eat meat (other than those who use it as some sort of environmental crusade), but you will never convince me that something from a plant will ever be as satisfying as a 24 oz bone-in New York strip, pan-seared, medium-rare, with peppercorn sauce on the side. 

Edited by trotter

1 hour ago, trotter said:

Possibly as a result of evolution not needing us to hunt, capture and eat animals raw perhaps? 

I don't have any problem with people choosing not to eat meat (other than those who use it as some sort of environmental crusade), but you will never convince me that something from a plant will ever be as satisfying as a 24 oz bone-in New York strip, pan-seared, medium-rare, with peppercorn sauce on the side. 

I've wandered off jake's original post about him becoming a veggie, so this will be my last comment on the subject.

First, I'm astounded at the prospect of anyone eating a 24-oz steak.  Eight ounces is the most I've ever been able to handle. You have a prodigious appetite. I was in a restaurant in Tucson once where they advertised, "Eat one of our 24-oz steaks, and we'll give you another one free."  I doubt if they had many takers.  :boak:

The biology is clear; homo sapiens is a herbivore.  That doesn't mean that we can't or shouldn't supplement our diet with animal protein. Other herbivores do it too. For example, under certain circumstances sheep will kill and eat small mammals. Who'd a thunk it?

Anyway, that's enough from me. Medium rare is definitely the way to go if you're gonna do it.

3 hours ago, trotter said:

Think it is actually the other way around with our teeth.  Most apes are herbivores while a couple are omnivores but still largely herbivores.

3 hours ago, trotter said:

I'm not going to convince you but from my point of view I can't eat meat as it made me sick growing up so don't miss it and therefore won't e tempted back.

On 18/08/2019 at 22:08, jake said:

The thing that's going to be a laugh is telling my company to have the works van back.

I'm sure your teacher will be happy to have all their toys back in the box.

10 hours ago, sadj said:

Some of the pre’s now are proper ott. Guessing your mate knows what he is doing in the gym but I used to see lads coming in to the vit shop to buy pre and they’d been gymming a couple weeks and there was no telling them its a waste of time , then they wanted the strongest one.🙈

However as you said , Broccoli , mushrooms , kale , spinach , boiled eggs and sprouts.....🧐

Hmm, think I'll stick to the nice fruity flavoured drinks.

5 hours ago, frankblack said:

Think it is actually the other way around with our teeth.  Most apes are herbivores while a couple are omnivores but still largely herbivores.

All apes are omnivores with a largely herbivorous intake.

6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

The biology is clear; homo sapiens are omnivores.  

FTFY

Our ancestors, homo erectus, were also omnivores.

Edited by Ray Gin

42 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Hmm, think I'll stick to the nice fruity flavoured drinks.

Kopparberg for the gains? 

Just now, Ray Gin said:

While largely true, our teeth and fingers aren't made for tearing into skin or hide, though - we don't have claws and our teeth  are blunt and we use our back teeth to grind the food.

Eating meat is probably something early humans started to do when seasonal fruit and veg was scarce, and it needs preparation.  It doesn't mean its good for us, and science suggests our gut isn't designed for digesting meat compared to the gut of carnivores.

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

was gonna say that , watched a program about chimps and their favourate meal was colobus monkeys , they made spears to kill them , ripped them limb for limb and tore into them like a pack of lions

AlphonseCapone

Let's be honest, it's a useless argument that's only really used by each side to try and suggest their way is natural ie what they think is correct. 

Herbivore, omnivore, carnivore, they are all human labels. Animals continously  evolve and adapt, and a particular diet will be more or less prevalent pending the particular circumstances. If your life depended on it, 99% of people would switch their diet to the other side if it saved their life regardless of their morals. 

AlphonseCapone
15 hours ago, Craig_ said:

You might want to look into intermittent fasting. Similar to the Keto diet in that it stimulates ketosis as well as being a calorie deficit type of thing.

I'll have a look into this 👍

I went over 2 months earlier on this year, going from a meat eating diet to vegan.

with a combination of exercise and more careful choices managed to shift over 1st and 6 pounds.

Only stopped as one day my body shut down (but was more due to a lack of sleep and stress from things happening in my life) and I have to be honest and say I really enjoyed it.

of course there was a lot of nae sayers and snipers but overall the difference was very noticeable, 

sure since then I’ve had a few meat dishes and They were nice enough but didn’t “have” to have them per se. Haven’t touched certain foods (egg or steak being the 2 prominent) and to be honest probably won’t again either  

there are a lot (and ever expanding) choices and while I would never force it on someone , I would recommend trying it to see for yourself 

I started the year by saying I would have 3 meat-free dinners a week just as a personal challenge to see if I could do it. 

Fast forward to now and I'm vegetarian Mon-Fri only eating meat on the weekends. I'm 4 stone lighter and feeling a hell of a lot better for it. Found it far easier and more enjoyable than I thought I would. 

Don't think I'll ever go full Veggie, but the health benefits I've experienced of eating less meat and more vegetarian has surprised me. 

Edited by KineticBeat

I've been on Almond milk since December. I'm contemplating going veggie, but I'll need to go on pills for the loss of some vitals.

Seymour M Hersh
18 hours ago, Boris said:

Low carb, high fat and protein.

Very like something I followed a number of years ago, the new high protein diet by Dr Charles Clark. Explained all the medical reasons why it worked (insulin production being caused by carbs turning to sugar and being stored as fat) etc. After a bit of checking I think Keto pre-dates this though.

29 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Very like something I followed a number of years ago, the new high protein diet by Dr Charles Clark. Explained all the medical reasons why it worked (insulin production being caused by carbs turning to sugar and being stored as fat) etc. After a bit of checking I think Keto pre-dates this though.

Pretty sure they are from the same box of soldiers, more or less.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do after it?  Just back to eating "normally"?  Or did you gradually take more carbs?

Just trying to work out my own next steps.

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Let's be honest, it's a useless argument that's only really used by each side to try and suggest their way is natural ie what they think is correct. 

Herbivore, omnivore, carnivore, they are all human labels. Animals continously  evolve and adapt, and a particular diet will be more or less prevalent pending the particular circumstances. If your life depended on it, 99% of people would switch their diet to the other side if it saved their life regardless of their morals. 

Long and short of it.

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, Boris said:

Pretty sure they are from the same box of soldiers, more or less.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do after it?  Just back to eating "normally"?  Or did you gradually take more carbs?

Just trying to work out my own next steps.

Slowly but surely reverted to eating everything so put weight back on as not exercising enough. I think diets are all well and good for losing weight but to keep it off is much harder to do by remaining on these low carb diets. I mean we're Scottish ffs  so bevvy has to be taken and sometimes to excess! 

8 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I mean we're Scottish ffs  so bevvy has to be taken and sometimes to excess! 

This. And 'this' is something we really need to drop from our mentality. It's like a badge of (Dis)honour.

12 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Slowly but surely reverted to eating everything so put weight back on as not exercising enough. I think diets are all well and good for losing weight but to keep it off is much harder to do by remaining on these low carb diets. I mean we're Scottish ffs  so bevvy has to be taken and sometimes to excess! 

Ha! Yeah, tbh I've been off the beer, but still drinking wine.

Exercise seems key.

Governor Tarkin
15 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I've never had a six pack stomach in my life but after fter six weeks at sea with no booze and resistance training/5k runs on the treadmill most days I can see the beginnings of one pretty clearly.

After a week or so back on land with access to beer it's gone again.

I ****ing love beer, though.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

21 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I've been on Almond milk since December. I'm contemplating going veggie, but I'll need to go on pills for the loss of some vitals.

I use bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk for all my stuff , do a good multivit and do a good zinc/magnesium combo. Greens i use aswell but if you go veggie that won’t help 😂

13 minutes ago, sadj said:

I use bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk for all my stuff , do a good multivit and do a good zinc/magnesium combo. Greens i use aswell but if you go veggie that won’t help 😂

Plenty of nuts(Not human). I'm gonnae give iron tables a go, anaw. 

Seymour M Hersh
5 hours ago, Boris said:

Ha! Yeah, tbh I've been off the beer, but still drinking wine.

Exercise seems key.

I've been off lager (never drank beer) for more than a decade. Red/white/fizzy wine depending on the mood or G&T. Mind you it's not helped keeping the weight off and I only drink on a Saturday. :phface:

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Aye love a cashew or 2000 and almonds 👌🏻 Brazil nuts too but they are boring to eat

7 minutes ago, sadj said:

Aye love a cashew or 2000 and almonds 👌🏻 Brazil nuts too but they are boring to eat

Vegetarianism seems boring. But I'll give it a go. 

Do I need to stop eating eggs or is that veganism.

Diets are utter pish! As soon as you start eating 'properly' again, the weight goes straight back on. Eat less, move more, cut the keg. Sorted.

48 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Eggs are vegan. I couldn’t do either veganism or vegetarian but fair play to those who do , many people seem to be cutting meat back in their diets. I rarely eat red meat but couldn’t live without chicken / turkey / fish or raw eggs

23 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Diets are utter pish! As soon as you start eating 'properly' again, the weight goes straight back on. Eat less, move more, cut the keg. Sorted.

Fad diets and all the crap these people push on social media can be , good diets and good pts (with a nutrition qualification) or a nutritionist can help with diets for health , fitness etc and in a way they are manageable as a lifestyle. Being on a diet can also include things that you'd class as unhealthy when done correctly.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

There are degrees in diets ... it's not simple anymore.

Veganism is strictly plant-based diet, in other words, if something originates with an animal, it's taboo.  So no meat, fish, butter, milk, eggs, cheese, yogurt, honey, etc.  And for a vegan, the use of leather and wool is also off limits.

Vegetarianism is not so straightforward. No mammal flesh for sure, but some say that eggs, milk, cheese, etc, are OK because no animal was killed. Some vegetarians eat fish, some don't. It's a balance between concern for animal welfare,  dietary choices, and concern for the environment.  People strike the balance in different ways.

I consider myself a 'lesser-tarian". My consumption of animal products is much less than it used to be, including zero dairy.

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

There are degrees in diets ... it's not simple anymore.

Veganism is strictly plant-based diet, in other words, if something originates with an animal, it's taboo.  So no meat, fish, butter, milk, eggs, cheese, yogurt, honey, etc.  And for a vegan, the use of leather and wool is also off limits.

Vegetarianism is not so straightforward. No mammal flesh for sure, but some say that eggs, milk, cheese, etc, are OK because no animal was killed. Some vegetarians eat fish, some don't. It's a balance between concern for animal welfare,  dietary choices, and concern for the environment.  People strike the balance in different ways.

I consider myself a 'lesser-tarian". My consumption of animal products is much less than it used to be, including zero dairy.

👍 I need to stop dairy again. I love Greek yogurt and Cheddar, but it needs to go, along with the Cider.

I'll need to find something to replace eggs. They're my Number one for my protein and mass building at the gym. Any recommendations?

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

👍 I need to stop dairy again. I love Greek yogurt and Cheddar, but it needs to go, along with the Cider.

I'll need to find something to replace eggs. They're my Number one for my protein and mass building at the gym. Any recommendations?

Please, mister, not the cider.  I love my Strongbow.

Here's a link to an egg substitute. It's called Ackees, and it grows in Jamaica.  It's sold in tins here in Canada. My daughter seasons it, blends it with a fork, and serves it like scrambled eggs.  It's really tasty and very close to the real thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackee

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

Please, mister, not the cider.  I love my Strongbow.

Here's a link to an egg substitute. It's called Ackees, and it grows in Jamaica.  It's sold in tins here in Canada. My daughter seasons it, blends it with a fork, and serves it like scrambled eggs.  It's really tasty and very close to the real thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackee

Cheers for that, Males. 👍 I've never heard of Ackees, except from Hamilton.

Auld Reekin'
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Before you launch into the iron tablets*, make sure that you are not an un-diagnosed haemochromatosis sufferer. This would just involve having a blood-test done at your GPs. Haemochromatosis is one of the most common hereditary diseases and is particularly prevalent in Scotland, Ireland, and other northern European countries.

Dunno what age you are, but HC is often not diagnosed in men until they're in their 40s or 50s (and in women, later still) and taking iron-supplements if you did have this condition wouldn't be a good plan: the rest of the population use whatever iron they ingest as required and excrete most of any surplus, HC sufferers don't and continue to store iron in their livers and bloodstream. This can eventually lead to some very serious health problems including cirrhosis and major heart and circulatory problems - if untreated, it'll kill you... Google's good for more info about this, if you're interested.

(*Vitamin C supplements are definitely not recommended for those with HC as vitamin C assists iron-absorption.)

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

As a veggie, you'll be fine with eggs. In terms of keeping vegetarian food interesting and tasty, I'd suggest looking to southern European, Middle Eastern / North African, and Indian recipes, as all have rich traditions of veggie food (quite a lot of it actually vegan too - think of all the pepper / courgette / aubergine & bean / chickpea stews there are in southern European cuisine) and are usually very tasty and satisfying. The same areas also tend to have many rice / couscous / cracked-wheat dishes that are veggie or vegan, or at the very least can be adapted to be so.

4 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Before you launch into the iron tablets*, make sure that you are not an un-diagnosed haemochromatosis sufferer. This would just involve having a blood-test done at your GPs. Haemochromatosis is one of the most common hereditary diseases and is particularly prevalent in Scotland, Ireland, and other northern European countries.

Dunno what age you are, but HC is often not diagnosed in men until they're in their 40s or 50s (and in women, later still) and taking iron-supplements if you did have this condition wouldn't be a good plan: the rest of the population use whatever iron they ingest as required and excrete most of any surplus, HC sufferers don't and continue to store iron in their livers and bloodstream. This can eventually lead to some very serious health problems including cirrhosis and major heart and circulatory problems - if untreated, it'll kill you... Google's good for more info about this, if you're interested.

(*Vitamin C supplements are definitely not recommended for those with HC as vitamin C assists iron-absorption.)

As a veggie, you'll be fine with eggs. In terms of keeping vegetarian food interesting and tasty, I'd suggest looking to southern European, Middle Eastern / North African, and Indian recipes, as all have rich traditions of veggie food (quite a lot of it actually vegan too - think of all the pepper / courgette / aubergine & bean / chickpea stews there are in southern European cuisine) and are usually very tasty and satisfying. The same areas also tend to have many rice / couscous / cracked-wheat dishes that are veggie or vegan, or at the very least can be adapted to be so.

👍 x2

Auld Reekin'
15 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Why do you "need" to stop dairy? Because you've been diagnosed as lactose-intolerant, or allergic to dairy, or you just feel that you should given your proposed new regime? Most vegetarians I know also eat eggs and dairy products.

Similarly with eggs - why do you "need" to replace them? Ethical concerns, I suppose?

5 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Why do you "need" to stop dairy? Because you've been diagnosed as lactose-intolerant, or allergic to dairy, or you just feel that you should given your proposed new regime? Most vegetarians I know also eat eggs and dairy products.

Similarly with eggs - why do you "need" to replace them? Ethical concerns, I suppose?

I've always felt bad about dairy and the way the cows are treated.

As for eggs. I eat 6 whole eggs and a cup of porridge every morning when I'm in full mass building mode. Then I switch to 12 whites when I start to lose weight. I need an equivalent, the same with chicken. But that's easy enough with shakes etc...

I'm one of those folk if I don't do something 100% i lose interest. Same with the gym, it's intensity driven.

Edited by ri Alban

Auld Reekin'
13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Cheers for that, Males. 👍 I've never heard of Ackees, except from Hamilton.

Yep, Ackee is good stuff, and very similar in texture to eggs - slightly less so in terms of taste, but it's pretty mild anyway - but you might have problems tracking it down in Edinburgh and it'll undoubtedly cost you a lot more. Apparently, it's one of these foods that's actually poisonous if it's not processed properly first, so even if could get hold of the fresh stuff it wouldn't be advisable to try and prepare it!

Auld Reekin'
Just now, ri Alban said:

I've always felt bad about dairy and the way the cows are treated.

As for eggs. I eat 6 whole eggs and a cup of porridge every morning when I'm in full mass building mode. Then I switch to 12 whites when I start to lose weight. I need an equivalent, the same with chicken. But that's easy enough with shakes etc...

Yep, fair enough, but as others have suggested you'd be better phasing-out foodstuffs you've been relying on as heavily as you have, rather than cutting them out at one stroke. There's certainly no way I'd ever voluntarily cut eggs from my diet!

2 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yep, Ackee is good stuff, and very similar in texture to eggs - slightly less so in terms of taste, but it's pretty mild anyway - but you might have problems tracking it down in Edinburgh and it'll undoubtedly cost you a lot more. Apparently, it's one of these foods that's actually poisonous if it's not processed properly first, so even if could get hold of the fresh stuff it wouldn't be advisable to try and prepare it!

I've just read it. Poisonous! I might have to go with Egg powder. No I'll see if my local Tesco have them. £5 a tin, FFS it better be good.

Auld Reekin'
13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I've just read it. Poisonous! I might have to go with Egg powder. No I'll see if my local Tesco have them. £5 a tin, FFS it better be good.

Try an Asian / Carribean grocery shop first - sure you'd get it cheaper there... Nicholson Sq., Newington, Gorgie / Dalry, Leith might be your best bets.

20 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Check out bodybuildingwarehouse pal they do good vegan supps. I couldn’t live without my whites though so fair play to you. Dairy is a pain in the ass but iv cut right back to a small amount of feta for fats and milk for calcium. 

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Check out bodybuildingwarehouse pal they do good vegan supps. I couldn’t live without my whites though so fair play to you. Dairy is a pain in the ass but iv cut right back to a small amount of feta for fats and milk for calcium. 

I'll need to order some whey. I'm gonnae keep my omega 3, hopefully that's allowed. :D

7 people going meat-free one day a week has the same effect of one person going totally veggie.

Small changes add up when enough people make them.

2 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

The problem is people see it as 'going on a diet' as if it's a permanent thing. The food you eat every single day of your life is your 'diet'. People push too hard to get a desired result and then can't or don't maintain it and end up back at square one

Captain Sausage

We’ve moved to eating fish for dinner 3-4 nights a week. Still eat meat every day, but wouldn’t be overly fussed to move to being vegetarian. Not a chance in hell I could do vegan though - don’t mind the odd meal but if I ate chickpeas morning noon and night I’d single handedly cause global warming with my farts.