Going Veggie

jake

Starting tomorrow.

Vegan is the next step.

I cant keep moaning about the state of things and not do this.

The thing that's going to be a laugh is telling my company to have the works van back.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Governor Tarkin

• ri Alban

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, jake said:

Starting tomorrow.

Vegan is the next step.

The thing that's going to be a laugh is telling my company to have the works van back.

Good luck, Jake. I was veggie for 15 years before I started working offshore and it became impractical.

Still don't eat much in the way of red meat when I don't have to now either.

I lasted 6 days last month. A roast dinner was dangled in front of me at a family meal at the Sheraton and I caved in. Wanna try again though because it wasn't as hard as first thought. 

14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Today,  meat.    Tomorrow,  the drugs.

I've a lot to give up mate.

That's for sure.

I am trying though.

43 minutes ago, AW1 said:

I lasted 6 days last month. A roast dinner was dangled in front of me at a family meal at the Sheraton and I caved in. Wanna try again though because it wasn't as hard as first thought. 

You shoudn't feel that it has to be all or nothing. Don't let the fact that something is imperfect get in the way of making improvements. I still eat meat but, the fact that I have three or four veggie days a week is better than having no veggie days a week.

I've been veggie 35 years.  Didn't like eating meat or fish and don't miss it.  It made me vomit as I grew up.

Couldn't go vegan.  Food is usually dry and needs a cream sauce.

I am not someone who cares what others eat either - each to their own.  However, a lot of meat eaters seem to have a big problem with vegetarians or vegans.

Better call Saul
16 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

You shoudn't feel that it has to be all or nothing. Don't let the fact that something is imperfect get in the way of making improvements. I still eat meat but, the fact that I have three or four veggie days a week is better than having no veggie days a week.

Spot on 

I am the same...baby steps etc 

I also like hearing that turning vegan helps some people improve their health. 

Edited by Ferris Bueller

19 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

Very very good point and one I'll take on board. Gonna have another go and see how I get on. 

Governor Tarkin
21 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

Great advice.

5 hours ago, jake said:

Starting tomorrow.

Vegan is the next step.

Great move.  Only good things can come of this.  Good luck.

4 hours ago, Stokesy said:

Absolutely.  Half my family are vegans and are in great health. I'm in the other half, but I've completely eliminated dairy from my diet and don't miss it. My red meat consumption has been cut to one or two days a week. There are now so many tasty alternatives.

Yesterday my vegan daughter cooked me breakfast: Scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, fried tomatoes, hash brown potatoes. It was delicious.  The eggs, sausage, and bacon were plant-based alternatives of course, not the real thing. But they looked like the real thing and tasted great.

3 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Been veggie for nearly 6 months.

I must be the only ****er who can put on weight eating nae meat :lol:

Easily done if you replace lean meat with pizza.

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

I've been veggie 35 years.  Didn't like eating meat or fish and don't miss it.  It made me vomit as I grew up.

I am not someone who cares what others eat either - each to their own.  However, a lot of meat eaters seem to have a big problem with vegetarians or vegans.

Almost exactly the same as me although I can only pin it down to 30+ years as that’s when I discovered I’d become veggie as it wasn’t a decision I consciously made. Like you I couldn’t care less what anyone eats, I’ll happily sit next to someone eating a bloody steak. 

I also won’t eat Quorn or any TVP stuff, and there’s a fair few vegetables I avoid. 

8 hours ago, frankblack said:

Like most meat eaters, I only have a problem with Vegetarians or vegans that try to force their own principles onto others.

Such as the **** nuggets who think it’s perfectly acceptable to attack peoples businesses or who form human barricades in the meat or dairy aisles of supermarkets because the products on sale there don’t fit in with their beliefs.

Anyway. Good luck Jake :)

Doubt i could cut meat out all together but I would really like to cut my consumption down a fair bit. 

Currently eat meat every day. Would like to cut that down to 2 days a week eventually with 1 day being red meat. 

William H. Bonney

I’ve also considered going veggie. I don’t give a shit about animals or the planet but my waist is ever expanding and I guess stopping eating meat would help. 

Probably still eat fish though. 

I'm a weekday veggie, but enjoy a bacon roll and meat (ooer misses) on a Sunday! Things I'd have chicken or fish with I now seem to use halloumi, which is great! I went through a spell where I couldnt eat enough chorizo, but the weight was pilling on. Feel a lot better for cutting out all the meat i was having!

29 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

I’ve also considered going veggie. I don’t give a shit about animals or the planet but my waist is ever expanding and I guess stopping eating meat would help. 

I doubt it's the meat that is expanding your waist. You may well find this increases if you go veggie.

William H. Bonney
5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I doubt it's the meat that is expanding your waist. You may well find this increases if you go veggie.

My lack of exercise may play a part too. 

Best thing you can do is cut out the highly processed meats. What I dont get is vegetarians that eat pretend meat. Those cant be very healthy I imagine it would be like a plant based chicken nugget, full of additives that's bad for you.

Good luck Jake. Fair play.

I tried it a few years ago. Lasted maybe 4 months.

Problem is, I don’t really like salad and that Tofu & Quorn stuff is like eating plastic. 

If they can make stuff that feels and tastes like Chicken or Beef, I’ll be on board. 

fabienleclerq

I'm attempting to cut down my meat consumption, doubt I'll ever go vegan or even vegetarian but I'd like to reduce the meat consumption to just a quality bit a couple times a week. 

1 hour ago, Dino Velvet said:

Eating protein is one of the best ways to lose weight so who ever told you cutting out meat is good for weight loss is talking utter shit. 

I'd do the opposite and cut our carbs get into a Keto diet if wieght loss is you primary goal  

Edited by AlimOzturk

11 hours ago, jake said:

Starting tomorrow.

Vegan is the next step.

If you have a works van, I'd assume you have to carry tools and stuff with you. How's that going to work?

7 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Been veggie for nearly 6 months.

I must be the only ****er who can put on weight eating nae meat :lol:

I was the same - put on a couple of stone during the year I had no meat! 

Started eating fish once a week and now meat if I go out to eat at a restaurant and feel much better. All things in moderation as they say.. 

31 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

We have cut down on the red meat, not that we ate a lot before. We mainly have chicken and fish these days, but we also eat a lot of fresh vegetables. 

My wife says she probably could go vegetarian and I probably could give up meat, but i couldn't give up fish.

Good post, I think if you’re wanting to cut down red meat without going veggie, Chicken and Fish are the way to go.

chester copperpot

5 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Good post, I think if you’re wanting to cut down red meat without going veggie, Chicken and Fish are the way to go.

That's kind of where I am. Try not to have any meat during the week, however have had a couple of fish suppers thrown in the mix the past 6 months.

Also had an occasional chicken thing but try to not touch it at all during the week.

Peskitarian is that what it's maybe called? Cutting out red meat has improved my stomach vastly though. I feel a lot better for not eating it and I had a few stomach problems which seemed to have curtailed during that time.

35 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

If you have a works van, I'd assume you have to carry tools and stuff with you. How's that going to work?

It's not.

Been veggie for a year now and have found it pretty easy, was having problems with my bowels and since I cut out meat I feel much better.  The Mrs loves cooking and we creates loads of different meals.  I don't feel the need to tell people I work with or friends etc that I don't eat meat (unless they are cooking me a meal!) If anyone asks me why I'm vegetarian I'll explain it to them, I have had some people that almost seem offended by it though :lol: constantly bringing it up and continually questioning why I do it.

Hope you enjoy your new veggie diet and I hope you find it beneficial as well. 

Going slightly off topic from veganism, I've been cutting out carbs from my diet and have lost a shedload of weight.  Almost 2 stones in about 12 weeks.

The Mrs wanted to do this keto diet thing so I said I'd do it with her, for support.

Prior to that we had been phasing out red meat and chicken.  Probably eat more fish than anything, but the odd steak, and roast chicken here and there.  Salads, veg, cheese etc  

Been good so far, and not bland.  I guess with whatever you eat, as long as you season, marry flavours etc it should be fine.

Not sure if I'd ever go 100% veggie, but I am having more and more meat-free meals these days.

Still love a bacon butty, roast dinner or a beef chilli.

From an environmental and financial standpoint it makes perfect sense.

Good meat is still more expensive than veg is.

I'd not buy cheap meat as I know full well the conditions in which these animals are kept in.

From the environmental aspect, one third of all the arable land on the planet is used for growing animal feed, another third is for animal pasture, leaving only one third for growing crops for human consumption.

The amount of water that animals need is also extreme in the face of droughts becoming more and more frequent around the world.

The methane and Co2 generated by livestock is also huge, not to mention the volume of pish and shite which can work its way into water sources.

So most nights of the week are meat-free dishes like cauliflower cheese, veggie stir fry, falafel burgers, pasta and pesto with veg and olives and many more such dishes, with meat relegated to saturday lunchtime bacon butties, the sunday roast and the occasional midweek meat dish of steamed chicken or toad in the hole etc.

Or I'll just use meat sparingly almost like a seasoning for flavour rather than being the main focal point of a dish.

Fish is a whole other subject, with sustainability and the wild vs farmed vs dredged vs line-caught vs local produce vs imported all being considered.

Edited by Cade

Spitonastranger
7 hours ago, trotter said:

Can never trust a veggie. You have sharp, spiky teeth for a reason: and it sure as **** isn't kale.

you need to see a dentist

Governor Tarkin
16 minutes ago, Cade said:

Not sure if I'd ever go 100% veggie, but I am having more and more meat-free meals these days.

Still love a bacon butty, roast dinner or a beef chilli.

From an environmental and financial standpoint it makes perfect sense.

Good meat is still more expensive than veg is.

I'd not buy cheap meat as I know full well the conditions in which these animals are kept in.

From the environmental aspect, one third of all the arable land on the planet is used for growing animal feed, another third is for animal pasture, leaving only one third for growing crops for human consumption.

The amount of water that animals need is also extreme in the face of droughts becoming more and more frequent around the world.

The methane and Co2 generated by livestock is also huge, not to mention the volume of pish and shite which can work its way into water sources.

So most nights of the week are meat-free dishes like cauliflower cheese, veggie stir fry, falafel burgers, pasta and pesto with veg and olives and many more such dishes, with meat relegated to saturday lunchtime bacon butties, the sunday roast and the occasional midweek meat dish of steamed chicken or toad in the hole etc.

Or I'll just use meat sparingly almost like a seasoning for flavour rather than being the main focal point of a dish.

Fish is a whole other subject, with sustainability and the wild vs farmed vs dredged vs line-caught vs local produce vs imported all being considered.

We need more sensible posts imo.

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Turkey and fish would would be better , chicken and fish would work though. I don’t eat veg very often as i use greens , vits and minerals. Thats a conscious decision based on calories however and the way i diet. 

@Justin Z , come 2pm you will enjoy this thread

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Eating protein is one of the best ways to lose weight so who ever told you cutting out meat is good for weight loss is talking utter shit. 

I'd do the opposite and cut our carbs get into a Keto diet if wieght loss is you primary goal  

I use millet when i bulk , rice when i maintain and cous cous when im cutting. Losing weight is about calorie deficit. What a lot of people don’t realise is that the portions they eat are often far more calorific than they realise.

Keto is popular nowadays though , my ex uses keto and she’s ripped as hell constantly. 

1 hour ago, chester copperpot said:

That's kind of where I am. Try not to have any meat during the week, however have had a couple of fish suppers thrown in the mix the past 6 months.

Also had an occasional chicken thing but try to not touch it at all during the week.

Peskitarian is that what it's maybe called? Cutting out red meat has improved my stomach vastly though. I feel a lot better for not eating it and I had a few stomach problems which seemed to have curtailed during that time.

Yeah I it’s called that. 

I really cut cut down on red meat but I’m totally restricted by what my missus and kids will eat. Spaghetti bolognese or meatballs, Chilli, Beef Stir Fry’s every bloody week. 🤦‍♂️

I like fish but my missus hates it because it makes the house stink and she’ll not eat river fish because it tastes like mud apparently. 🙄

On the other hand I could live on just fish. 

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Turkey and fish would would be better , chicken and fish would work though. I don’t eat veg very often as i use greens , vits and minerals. Thats a conscious decision based on calories however and the way i diet. 

Mushrooms is the go to food apparently Sadj. Not everyone’s cup of tea but for anyone looking to get fit or lose the pounds, Mushrooms are the superfood. 

9 minutes ago, sadj said:

I was enjoying it last night :biggrin:

As you pointed out in your next post, caloric deficit is the key. I've lost over a stone in six weeks by carefully tracking the calories coming in and keeping them under 1,900 a day (often well under). Now that my study commitments are out of the way, I can get back to focusing on rebuilding the muscle mass I've also undoubtedly lost in this process.

Just now, Justin Z said:

I was enjoying it last night :biggrin:

As you pointed out in your next post, caloric deficit is the key. I've lost over a stone in six weeks by carefully tracking the calories coming in and keeping them under 1,900 a day (often well under). Now that my study commitments are out of the way, I can get back to focusing on rebuilding the muscle mass I've also undoubtedly lost in this process.

Thought you would after feeding people fake meat 😂  , it is indeed , your calories are going back up though when you hit the gym again. Iv got a new diet im typing up for you. It’ll work well with your death inducing gym sessions you enjoy.