VAR

3fingersreid

Just now, DETTY29 said:

Xenophobia gets in way of understanding reality shock.

So it would seem. Jonny Foreigner ruining the game. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Internet

• DETTY29

• Jammy T

• Maroon Sailor

Smoked-Glass
On 21/08/2019 at 02:32, Cruyff Turn said:

Apologies for the big **** off rant. 

But,

I wish people would stop comparing video technology in other sports to football. It’s not the same.

Football is a free flowing game which has already been slowed down with more stringent laws on tackling over the years. The last thing it needs is referees taking 5 minutes to give a decision or stopping play back for something they missed two minutes earlier. 

The game is meant to be spontaneous, it’s meant to be competitive and part of the game is the referee making decisions in that moment. Football has never been perfect, far from it and bad decisions have always been made, is VAR really making that better? Personally I think it is just muddying the waters further and they keep ****ing around with the rules to suit video technology rather than ****ing around with VAR to suit the rules.

Scenario....

What would happen for instance, if the referee missed a handball in the box at one end and that team who’s player handled accidentally, goes up the other end and scores in the 90th minute, then VAR say the ref needs to look at the decision in a replay? What a position to put a referee in. I don’t believe it has happened yet but it probably will and it would be beyond farcical. 

Almost every single game at the Womans World Cup was mired by joke decisions and so far this season, we’ve had too much controversy for this shit to be continually viable.

I reiterate, I am not against the use of video technology being used if it “improves” the game, but FIFA and UEFA have dived into the deep end with this and it’s sucking the life out of the game. It hasn’t been properly thought through at all. 

I honestly believe that the furthest you can go with it is to use VAR to overrule a decision that the referee has made, i.e. given a penalty or a red card, which should not have been given. The play has already stopped, there is time to look at it, but ultimately the referee on the pitch, who is a key component of the game,  is still making the decisions. VAR is then used to reduce mistakes made by referees, rather than to bugger up every game. 

In Rugby we see Video Technology being used to rule out a Try because there was a knock on or a forward pass 3 phases before the try. That is where football is heading if we continue to use VAR. We will see goals getting chopped off for a soft foul made 30 seconds previously, or a penalty not given because the team who were awarded the penalty who had won possession beforehand had done so with a foul. 

That is the difference between football and other sports, you can do it in Rugby because you can come back for a penalty or a scrum and play isn’t spoiled. You can’t do that in football because it sucks the momentum and life out of the game.

If you are a proponent of VAR you need to ask yourself this; if the referee can pull play back for a key decision that he has missed, say a penalty for instance from a corner which was wrongly given in the first place, then why doesn’t he go all the way back to the decision to award the corner which had been wrongly given? 

You see, that is the cluster**** which is VAR. To strive for complete perfection of the rule book and fairness, it has to be used for every single decision made or missed, or not at all. 

And that’s without going into the aspect of contact in football, competitiveness, intensity, the joy, the celebration etc... It has too many cons. Get it in the bin. 

Great Post.  E mail it to UEFA. 

43 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

A couple of clarifications on VAR issued by IFAB yesterday.

Law 14 – The Penalty Kick

One of the main changes in the penalty kick procedure (including kicks from the penalty mark) gave goalkeepers greater freedom of movement by reducing the requirement to have all/part of both feet in contact with the goal line when the kick is taken to only one foot, with the additional ‘freedom’ that the foot does not have to be touching the line but can be above it (in the air). Having been given this greater freedom, goalkeepers are now required to respect the Law and match officials should ensure that, if the goalkeeper encroaches before the ball is in play and saves the penalty kick, the kick is retaken. However, if the kick misses the goal, or if the ball rebounds from the goalpost(s) and/or crossbar, the referee will usually apply the ‘spirit’ of the Law and not order a re-take unless the encroachment clearly impacted on the kicker. This continues to apply in VAR matches where the VAR must ‘check’ for any offence by the goalkeeper and/or the kicker.

Video Assistant Referee (VAR) protocol

The use of VARs is only for ‘clear and obvious errors’ and for ‘serious missed incidents’ (where the match officials have not seen what has happened) in relation to a goal/no goal, penalty/no penalty or direct red card incident, or for mistaken identity relating to a yellow or red card. The principle that the original on-field decision remains unless it is a ‘clear and obvious error’ applies to all reviewable decisions and a decision is not changed unless it is ‘clearly wrong’. For factual decisions (e.g. location of an offence, position of players for offside, offence by the goalkeeper at a penalty kick or kick from the penalty mark, ball in/out of play etc.) the VAR must inform the referee if there is clear replay evidence. If the replay evidence is not clear (because of camera position/angle, difficulty determining the exact moment the ball is played etc.) the VAR does not intervene. The protocol does not allow referees to ‘review’ an incident where the original on-field decision is not a ‘clear and obvious’ error; ‘reviews’ are not permitted for a ‘second chance’ to look at an incident or to confirm or ‘sell’ a decision which was not clearly wrong. We hope that these clarifications will help in the application of the Laws of the Game 2019/20 and ask that you communicate them to your referees, participants and the media as soon as possible.

On penalties, hasn't the FA said they won't use VAR, even  when VAR available?

Simple solution, no more English refs or officials, or administrators- observers at any UEFA - FIFA official category games.

Footballfirst
On 21/08/2019 at 02:32, Cruyff Turn said:

Scenario....

What would happen for instance, if the referee missed a handball in the box at one end and that team who’s player handled accidentally, goes up the other end and scores in the 90th minute, then VAR say the ref needs to look at the decision in a replay? What a position to put a referee in. I don’t believe it has happened yet but it probably will and it would be beyond farcical. 

A similar situation has already occurred in the Nations League semi final between Portugal and Switzerland in June.

A Swiss player went down in the box but no penalty was given. Portugal went up the park, their player went don in the box and the referee awarded a penalty.

The VAR reviewed the first penalty claim, alerted the match referee who looked at the replays on the touchline monitor then decided that a penalty should be given to Switzerland for the first challenge.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11735779/var-controversy-in-portugal

Good to see it getting boo'd at the the Liverpool game, a good few minutes pause while Liverpool were pressing and waiting to take a corner, to look at something that nobody had any idea what they were looking at, then Arsenal romp up the pitch and nearly score while Liverpool were still sleeping, would have been good if it had gone in ...

Needs to be streamlined much more.

The Internet

Was used to good effect in the Brighton - Southampton game. Disallowed a Brighton goal that was 1) about 4 yards offside and 2) the offside player backed into the keeper. Pretty sure it would've been disallowed if var hadn't been there but at least it was a clear decision and not because the tip of a shoelace was offside. 

Hypothetically I can see a scenario where Hearts score a last minute goal against either of the Uglies in a cup final and VAR being used to disallow the goal because Washington runs passed their defender.

Edited by Marvin

5 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Was used to good effect in the Brighton - Southampton game. Disallowed a Brighton goal that was 1) about 4 yards offside and 2) the offside player backed into the keeper. Pretty sure it would've been disallowed if var hadn't been there but at least it was a clear decision and not because the tip of a shoelace was offside. 

If it is the one I am thinking of didn't the ref initially give the goal. And just waited for the var check

I'm still pro VAR, but it certainly needs significant tweaking and improvement in length of time in coming to decisions being made.

And I also respects it's critics but not when watching MOTD this morning and Jonathan Pearce says we need to get rid of it because it intervened and no-one knew why, but on Sky the night before the commentator knew immediately it was for a potential violent conduct incident, and no doubt Pearce was told at the same time.

Admittedly it was a ridiculous intrvention for what looked as it was all along two players comig together.

Edited by DETTY29

The Internet
13 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

If it is the one I am thinking of didn't the ref initially give the goal. And just waited for the var check

Yeah. Similar thing happened in the Chelsea game. Think refs are told to just let it go and let var do its thing but I reckon it would've been disallowed even without var. 

Footballfirst

I think there has been a conscious decision in the EPL not to overturn the on field ref's decisions. There have been at least three penalty decisions this weekend that weren't given following review that looked stonewallers, two of them today involving Man City and Spurs. 

Edited by Footballfirst

Maroon Sailor
54 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I think there has been a conscious decision in the EPL not to overturn the on field ref's decisions. There have been at least three penalty decisions this weekend that weren't given following review that looked stonewallers, two of them today involving Man City and Spurs. 

Kane doing his usual dive and initiating contact by going in to Lascelles

No pen - good decision

• 3 weeks later...

Spurs goal being disallowed yesterday is the worst thing it's done so far imo. Wasn't even offside. 

Edited by Mauricio Pinilla

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Spurs goal being disallowed yesterday is the worst thing it's done so far imo. Wasn't even offside. 

Yip that's the kind of thing that let's the system down. Even if it was offside we are talking millimetres and has no affect on the play or gives the attacking player an advantage.

They need to look at this again. Clear and obvious seems to go out the window for some decisions.

4 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

That's a shocker that one.

They've done really well disguising the fact that there's no definitive way of showing when the ball is played through either. If you can't show exactly when the ball is played through how can you define offside. All these lines and arrows are always shown at the end of the move, boils my piss that they don't show you the start of the move. It's ridiculous and it's a waste of time if they can't get it right. 

avhudtheteeshirt

Was an offside not given yesterday for the players sleeve being offside?

I thought it had to be part of the body that could score goals????

Have the rules changed "again", or is it just another ridiculous decision!!!!!

6 hours ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Was an offside not given yesterday for the players sleeve being offside?

I thought it had to be part of the body that could score goals????

Have the rules changed "again", or is it just another ridiculous decision!!!!!

No, not the reason. his upper body.

You can only be offside with a part of the body you can score with.

poor decision that one, IMO.