VAR

3fingersreid

The Internet
Just now, jonesy said:

VAR’s main purpose is to add drama for the viewers.

Not the poor saps in the cold stadiums of England, but the worldwide audience in Shanghai, Nairobi and, er, Edinburgh.

This is true. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Internet

• DETTY29

• Maroon Sailor

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

Aston Villa game, keeper gets ball first anyway but  Villa striker over exaggerates extent of contact and throws himself to ground to try and get penalty when no need to go to ground.

Another day, ref may have given the penalty based on what he thought happened.

Hopefully VAR will stop this level if cheating in time.

Edited by DETTY29

When the ball is booted at a player from a yard away and it hits his arm people say it's not hand ball because the players are so close. In this case the ball travelled about 40 yards and the player still managed not to avoid it hitting his arm. VAR has many faults but if they are going to use it this decision was correct.

3fingersreid
2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Just saw MoTD and the spurs fans immediately started singing VAR my lord, VAR to the tune of Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah!. :laugh: 👏

😂😂😂 

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Not the poor saps in the cold stadiums of England, but the worldwide audience in Shanghai, Nairobi and, er, Edinburgh.

This isn't the main purpose of VAR but it does have that impact

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Wolves fans singing what most football fans think of VAR, and that's after their goal stood.

Clear and blatant is what VAR should be used for not accidental handball for less than a yard or millimetres in an offside

I was in favour of VAR but that was ridiculous there drawing lines to the nearest cm, i used to like the rule when if there was any doubt then advantage to the attacker

The Internet

The lines when they were trying to disallow the wolves goal :rofl:****ing shite. Thank christ they thought better of it. 

There was incident just before it when utd blatantly should have had a corner but it wasn't given. That's what var should be doing, but nah not dramatic enough. 

1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

I was in favour of VAR but that was ridiculous there drawing lines to the nearest cm, i used to like the rule when if there was any doubt then advantage to the attacker

They should go with the on pitch decision when it's as ridiculously tight as that was and others have been. 

Needs refined certainly.

I thought a good point last night was when they reviewed Pogba's challenge.  Ok, nothing in it but if there had been, red card immediately instead of retrospective ban.  That said, I thought Maguire's later on not reviewed was a bit naughty.  

Tenaciousdandy

I'm sure i read somewhere that we said we would be in favour of installing VAR, Celtic said it would cost to much and didnt think it was far to have to install it solely for champions league matches, they wont have to worry about that this year lol

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

I can’t see it happening here except for goal line technology. 

That work's fine and has been a total success. You don't need VAR for that it's done in a split second.

Trouble with the VAR system is they are looking for reasons not to award goals and have the technology to break it down to the finest detail to a point where it's just getting stupid.

ming the merciless

VAR would be fine if:

1/ it had never been invented

2/ the daftie who thought it up had never been born

Killing the game and the attending fan's experience on a weekly basis. Hate it.

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That work's fine and has been a total success. You don't need VAR for that it's done in a split second.

Trouble with the VAR system is they are looking for reasons not to award goals and have the technology to break it down to the finest detail to a point where it's just getting stupid.

Exactly.  VAR should be for clear cut issues.  Trying to zoom in on a strikers eyelashes to see if he is offside is brutal.

Coburg Hearts
25 minutes ago, ming the merciless said:

VAR would be fine if:

1/ it had never been invented

2/ the daftie who thought it up had never been born

Killing the game and the attending fan's experience on a weekly basis. Hate it.

Have to agree with this.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
On 18/08/2019 at 03:18, Jammy T said:

You’re immune because it works - and VAR  become better as all the cave dwellers become immune to it too.

You’ll also get the chance to celebrate a goal twice when confirmed by VAR 😀

Anyone that can’t see the benefits of VAR is speaking pure shite BTW 👍

I don't think there's much need to be abusive or insulting just because people disagree with you. Some people like it, some don't, none of us will have any effect over whether it gets used or not. We're still allowed to discuss it though. 

4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

It will get binned when the G14 or whatever they are nowadays start flexing their muscles.

It won’t. When they start cutting to ads during the gap it’ll be a huge cash cow. They will look at it like it’s a tv show not a live product. 

People here mock the NFL but I’d suspect UEFA would love to be them in terms of production values and ad revenue. 

On 18/08/2019 at 09:52, jonesy said:

Not true. VAR getting ditched on 1 November.

Apologies for the big **** off rant. 

But,

I wish people would stop comparing video technology in other sports to football. It’s not the same.

Football is a free flowing game which has already been slowed down with more stringent laws on tackling over the years. The last thing it needs is referees taking 5 minutes to give a decision or stopping play back for something they missed two minutes earlier. 

The game is meant to be spontaneous, it’s meant to be competitive and part of the game is the referee making decisions in that moment. Football has never been perfect, far from it and bad decisions have always been made, is VAR really making that better? Personally I think it is just muddying the waters further and they keep ****ing around with the rules to suit video technology rather than ****ing around with VAR to suit the rules.

Scenario....

What would happen for instance, if the referee missed a handball in the box at one end and that team who’s player handled accidentally, goes up the other end and scores in the 90th minute, then VAR say the ref needs to look at the decision in a replay? What a position to put a referee in. I don’t believe it has happened yet but it probably will and it would be beyond farcical. 

Almost every single game at the Womans World Cup was mired by joke decisions and so far this season, we’ve had too much controversy for this shit to be continually viable.

I reiterate, I am not against the use of video technology being used if it “improves” the game, but FIFA and UEFA have dived into the deep end with this and it’s sucking the life out of the game. It hasn’t been properly thought through at all. 

I honestly believe that the furthest you can go with it is to use VAR to overrule a decision that the referee has made, i.e. given a penalty or a red card, which should not have been given. The play has already stopped, there is time to look at it, but ultimately the referee on the pitch, who is a key component of the game,  is still making the decisions. VAR is then used to reduce mistakes made by referees, rather than to bugger up every game. 

In Rugby we see Video Technology being used to rule out a Try because there was a knock on or a forward pass 3 phases before the try. That is where football is heading if we continue to use VAR. We will see goals getting chopped off for a soft foul made 30 seconds previously, or a penalty not given because the team who were awarded the penalty who had won possession beforehand had done so with a foul. 

That is the difference between football and other sports, you can do it in Rugby because you can come back for a penalty or a scrum and play isn’t spoiled. You can’t do that in football because it sucks the momentum and life out of the game.

If you are a proponent of VAR you need to ask yourself this; if the referee can pull play back for a key decision that he has missed, say a penalty for instance from a corner which was wrongly given in the first place, then why doesn’t he go all the way back to the decision to award the corner which had been wrongly given? 

You see, that is the cluster**** which is VAR. To strive for complete perfection of the rule book and fairness, it has to be used for every single decision made or missed, or not at all. 

And that’s without going into the aspect of contact in football, competitiveness, intensity, the joy, the celebration etc... It has too many cons. Get it in the bin. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
On 19/08/2019 at 23:22, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

It would’ve robbed Ruben Neves of one of the most exquisite finishes I’ve seen.

But it didn’t??

Tom Hardy’s Dug
On 20/08/2019 at 00:37, Mauricio Pinilla said:

The lines when they were trying to disallow the wolves goal :rofl:****ing shite. Thank christ they thought better of it. 

There was incident just before it when utd blatantly should have had a corner but it wasn't given. That's what var should be doing, but nah not dramatic enough. 

You mean it was a tight decision and VAR got it right?

Tom Hardy’s Dug
15 hours ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

I can’t see it happening here except for goal line technology. 

It will eventually be imposed and good.

The Internet
2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

You mean it was a tight decision and VAR got it right?

Aye. They never managed to find a fingernail or tip of a hair offside, must have been disappointed. Var shouldn't be used for decisions as tight as that. Obvious mistakes only. 

4 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

But it didn’t??

No, he doesn’t score normal goals.

Ten of his thirteen goals for Wolves have come from outside the box.

Edited by The Spy Who Loved Me

jack D and coke
On 19/08/2019 at 22:37, Mauricio Pinilla said:

That’s my beef with it all. Why are some decisions more important than others?

Whose to say not giving a corner or even a throw in isn’t affecting the game? 

It should be every decision or get it in the ****ing bin. It utterly all over the place. 

annushorribilis III

Anyone aware of the "tolerance" allowed in VAR ? First I've heard about this -

Yet the technology used in trying to determine when a ball was passed and when a run was made is actually not advanced enough — with a margin for error that could be as big as 38.8cm (14inches). It provides more ammunition to critics of the scheme, like The Mail on Sunday columnist Murphy, who wants to see the system scrapped until it’s fit for purpose...

Link here https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7367673/THE-GREAT-VAR-DEBATE-Tech-said-Sterling-2-4cm-offside-allowed-13cm-margin-error.html

On 21/08/2019 at 02:32, Cruyff Turn said:

Apologies for the big **** off rant. 

But,

I wish people would stop comparing video technology in other sports to football. It’s not the same.

Football is a free flowing game which has already been slowed down with more stringent laws on tackling over the years. The last thing it needs is referees taking 5 minutes to give a decision or stopping play back for something they missed two minutes earlier. 

The game is meant to be spontaneous, it’s meant to be competitive and part of the game is the referee making decisions in that moment. Football has never been perfect, far from it and bad decisions have always been made, is VAR really making that better? Personally I think it is just muddying the waters further and they keep ****ing around with the rules to suit video technology rather than ****ing around with VAR to suit the rules.

Scenario....

What would happen for instance, if the referee missed a handball in the box at one end and that team who’s player handled accidentally, goes up the other end and scores in the 90th minute, then VAR say the ref needs to look at the decision in a replay? What a position to put a referee in. I don’t believe it has happened yet but it probably will and it would be beyond farcical. 

Almost every single game at the Womans World Cup was mired by joke decisions and so far this season, we’ve had too much controversy for this shit to be continually viable.

I reiterate, I am not against the use of video technology being used if it “improves” the game, but FIFA and UEFA have dived into the deep end with this and it’s sucking the life out of the game. It hasn’t been properly thought through at all. 

I honestly believe that the furthest you can go with it is to use VAR to overrule a decision that the referee has made, i.e. given a penalty or a red card, which should not have been given. The play has already stopped, there is time to look at it, but ultimately the referee on the pitch, who is a key component of the game,  is still making the decisions. VAR is then used to reduce mistakes made by referees, rather than to bugger up every game. 

In Rugby we see Video Technology being used to rule out a Try because there was a knock on or a forward pass 3 phases before the try. That is where football is heading if we continue to use VAR. We will see goals getting chopped off for a soft foul made 30 seconds previously, or a penalty not given because the team who were awarded the penalty who had won possession beforehand had done so with a foul. 

That is the difference between football and other sports, you can do it in Rugby because you can come back for a penalty or a scrum and play isn’t spoiled. You can’t do that in football because it sucks the momentum and life out of the game.

If you are a proponent of VAR you need to ask yourself this; if the referee can pull play back for a key decision that he has missed, say a penalty for instance from a corner which was wrongly given in the first place, then why doesn’t he go all the way back to the decision to award the corner which had been wrongly given? 

You see, that is the cluster**** which is VAR. To strive for complete perfection of the rule book and fairness, it has to be used for every single decision made or missed, or not at all. 

And that’s without going into the aspect of contact in football, competitiveness, intensity, the joy, the celebration etc... It has too many cons. Get it in the bin. 

CT, re your point about a layer handling then scoring at the other end. Not a hand ball (iirc) but in the finals of the nations league portgual v switzerland, portugal get a pen (possibly by VAR) but then they review a decision a couple of minutes earlier and correctly award switzerland a pen. 

The Treasurer
On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 12:21, Maroon Sailor said:

That's what I've been thinking.

They are trying too hard to justify having VAR by coming up with the slightest infringement that would be virtually impossible to spot without VAR.

You could argue that is the whole idea, but if someone's arm is slightly ahead of the last defender, is that really influencing the outcome of a passage of play ?

Bazzas right boot
On 18/08/2019 at 09:52, jonesy said:

Bit of truth there. 

And it dies it very well! 

Bazzas right boot
On 21/08/2019 at 03:16, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

But it didn’t??

Smith's goal would have been disallowed, tho. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Smith's goal would have been disallowed, tho. 

We’d have had a 3rd penalty.

See how it works?

12 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

Anyone aware of the "tolerance" allowed in VAR ? First I've heard about this -

Yet the technology used in trying to determine when a ball was passed and when a run was made is actually not advanced enough — with a margin for error that could be as big as 38.8cm (14inches). It provides more ammunition to critics of the scheme, like The Mail on Sunday columnist Murphy, who wants to see the system scrapped until it’s fit for purpose...

Link here https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7367673/THE-GREAT-VAR-DEBATE-Tech-said-Sterling-2-4cm-offside-allowed-13cm-margin-error.html

You see that in the cricket. Some weird decisions sometimes. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

We’d have had a 3rd penalty.

See how it works?

Possibly, but I don't think they are reviewing it for these types of decisions yet, has there been an incident in the Epl when this has happened?

Generally goals, off sides and handball at the moment. 

On current use, far more likely we'd have had no pk then the first goal chopped off. 

Bazzas right boot

It may be that VAR is just a big ploy. 

Fans moan about referees. 

Introduce VAR. 

Fans hate VAR. 

Go back to refs only and say we tried it, you hated it, shut up. 

Full circle, refs then become the good guys and are seen as good for the game. 

Fans and more importantly clubs can't really complain about shite officials as they rejected VAR as an alternative. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
18 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Possibly, but I don't think they are reviewing it for these types of decisions yet, has there been an incident in the Epl when this has happened?

Generally goals, off sides and handball at the moment. 

On current use, far more likely we'd have had no pk then the first goal chopped off. 

VAR deco being used for pens if required 

8 hours ago, milky_26 said:

CT, re your point about a layer handling then scoring at the other end. Not a hand ball (iirc) but in the finals of the nations league portgual v switzerland, portugal get a pen (possibly by VAR) but then they review a decision a couple of minutes earlier and correctly award switzerland a pen. 

This?

Pisstake.. 

Footballfirst

A couple of clarifications on VAR issued by IFAB yesterday.

Law 14 – The Penalty Kick

One of the main changes in the penalty kick procedure (including kicks from the penalty mark) gave goalkeepers greater freedom of movement by reducing the requirement to have all/part of both feet in contact with the goal line when the kick is taken to only one foot, with the additional ‘freedom’ that the foot does not have to be touching the line but can be above it (in the air). Having been given this greater freedom, goalkeepers are now required to respect the Law and match officials should ensure that, if the goalkeeper encroaches before the ball is in play and saves the penalty kick, the kick is retaken. However, if the kick misses the goal, or if the ball rebounds from the goalpost(s) and/or crossbar, the referee will usually apply the ‘spirit’ of the Law and not order a re-take unless the encroachment clearly impacted on the kicker. This continues to apply in VAR matches where the VAR must ‘check’ for any offence by the goalkeeper and/or the kicker.

Video Assistant Referee (VAR) protocol

The use of VARs is only for ‘clear and obvious errors’ and for ‘serious missed incidents’ (where the match officials have not seen what has happened) in relation to a goal/no goal, penalty/no penalty or direct red card incident, or for mistaken identity relating to a yellow or red card. The principle that the original on-field decision remains unless it is a ‘clear and obvious error’ applies to all reviewable decisions and a decision is not changed unless it is ‘clearly wrong’. For factual decisions (e.g. location of an offence, position of players for offside, offence by the goalkeeper at a penalty kick or kick from the penalty mark, ball in/out of play etc.) the VAR must inform the referee if there is clear replay evidence. If the replay evidence is not clear (because of camera position/angle, difficulty determining the exact moment the ball is played etc.) the VAR does not intervene. The protocol does not allow referees to ‘review’ an incident where the original on-field decision is not a ‘clear and obvious’ error; ‘reviews’ are not permitted for a ‘second chance’ to look at an incident or to confirm or ‘sell’ a decision which was not clearly wrong. We hope that these clarifications will help in the application of the Laws of the Game 2019/20 and ask that you communicate them to your referees, participants and the media as soon as possible.