• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Internet

• DETTY29

• Maroon Sailor

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

Just now, LeylandJambo said:

That's a ridiculous decision. whoever was looking at that should be ashamed of themselves.

It's the rule though, shite one granted, but the rule.

Not a single player claims for anything at the time either. 

LeylandJambo
Just now, pablo said:

It's the rule though, shite one granted, but the rule.

Not a single player claims for anything at the time either. 

Got to be some common sense used though.

3fingersreid

at the time I felt it was a legitimate goal , however it certainly isn’t intentional but the arm connection changed the flight of the ball to the benefit of the city forward so maybe it was justified . 

It’s a new sport now in my eyes.  I don’t know what the feck I’m watching nowadays.

Hawkeye type technology was the answer.  Give each team three challenges a game that would involve going to VAR.  Using it to disallow goals when nobody’s challenging the decision is ruining the sport.

Just now, LeylandJambo said:

Not according to the wording of the law. Every handball even if accidental is an offence.

2 minutes ago, LeylandJambo said:

Is this the rule throughout the country? Going to be some very obvious exceptions to that rule when the uglies are involved if it is!

3fingersreid

Was it Williamson the ex hibs manager that once said the best way to take away any debate was to award a penalty every time the ball struck a hand or arm ? 

7 minutes ago, LeylandJambo said:

Common sense is open to interpretation...  Everyone is biased in football....,..

3 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Nothing wrong with VAR.

Lots wrong with the new handball rules.

:spoton:

this new rule is wrong but there is no grey area in how it is implemented as seen but the wolves and man city decisions. at least it seems to be applied consistently 

31 minutes ago, pablo said:

Not according to the wording of the law. Every handball even if accidental is an offence.

Not true - only in certain situations e.g. if a goal is scored or a goal-scoring opportunity is created.

See e.g. https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/rule-changes-2019-20-handball-penalties-sustitutions-wall-free-kick-4824 for more info.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Not true - only in certain situations e.g. if a goal is scored or a goal-scoring opportunity is created.

See e.g. https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/rule-changes-2019-20-handball-penalties-sustitutions-wall-free-kick-4824 for more info.

Yeah, that was the context of what we were discussing, Man City's disallowed goal. 

Just now, pablo said:

Yeah, that was the context of what we were discussing, Man City's disallowed goal. 

Ok, got you. :thumb:

40 minutes ago, pablo said:

Someone should have told that to Motherwell ringpiece Stephen Craigan. 

Do The Dance
1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

It’s a new sport now in my eyes.  I don’t know what the feck I’m watching nowadays.

Hawkeye type technology was the answer.  Give each team three challenges a game that would involve going to VAR.  Using it to disallow goals when nobody’s challenging the decision is ruining the sport.

Your first bit is kind of the point I made in another thread the other day. It's now a completely different game in the leagues where VAR is used. Leaves our game up here behind again (along with the goal line technology), whether that's a plus or minus is open to interpretation.

1 hour ago, Dunks said:

Nothing wrong with VAR.

There is lots wrong with VAR, the handball rule is also shite. 

VAR takes the spontinuity out of the game. Referees missing a slight infringement like that handball should be accepted as part of the game, trying to catch every decision with VAR will ruin the game at the top level.

LeylandJambo
1 hour ago, pablo said:

No such thing as ball played man any more then? 

2 hours ago, Dunks said:

Nothing wrong with VAR.

There is a hell of a lot wrong with VAR.

Back to 2005
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

People getting angry with VAR for correctly applying the rules 

🤦‍♂️

It's not VAR that's the problem it's the ridiculous new rules. A complete nonsense that are taking the joy out of the game.

2 hours ago, Texia said:

There is lots wrong with VAR, the handball rule is also shite. 

VAR takes the spontinuity out of the game. Referees missing a slight infringement like that handball should be accepted as part of the game, trying to catch every decision with VAR will ruin the game at the top level.

But if you do without VAR, you aren't just letting the slight infringements go, you are also letting blatant refereeing errors go.  You can't introduce VAR then muddy the waters by saying some infringements should just be accepted.  That just brings subjectivity back into the equation.

VAR is fine if applied properly, it means the blatant errors are corrected.  There will always be borderline cases where you could argue one way or another, but the vast majority of incidents are not borderline.

Are they showing the VAR replies on the stadium screens in the EPL?

VAR does work but will work much better if:

1. This happens (decision is reviewed on stadium screens) because it aids transparency.

2. The nature of the foul is confirmed on the screen if found to have been committed.

3. The ref is miked up as in rugby. Again helps enforce transparency and accountability.

Anyway, the pish that some people were spouting about “that’s what fitba is all aboot - moaning about the refs decisions in the pub after the game. VAR will take that away” is proving to be utter garbage.

There are still talking points for people to slaver on about.

Edited by Jammy T

Footballfirst

There is a case for cricket's "Umpire's Call" to be used for tight offside decisions. I don't think that current technology is accurate enough to determine exactly when a ball was struck and, at the same instant, the position of the attacker's head, foot or whatever to millimetre accuracy.  In those circumstances and the call is say within 10cm either way, then they should go with the decision on the field.

I saw an example the other night with encroachment at a penalty. The ball was sausage shaped so the instant that the ball was hit was not accurately recorded. It can be down to the Video controller to determine which frame is the point of contact (out of 24(?) frames per second). 

20 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

There is a case for cricket's "Umpire's Call" to be used for tight offside decisions. I don't think that current technology is accurate enough to determine exactly when a ball was struck and, at the same instant, the position of the attacker's head, foot or whatever to millimetre accuracy.  In those circumstances and the call is say within 10cm either way, then they should go with the decision on the field.

I saw an example the other night with encroachment at a penalty. The ball was sausage shaped so the instant that the ball was hit was not accurately recorded. It can be down to the Video controller to determine which frame is the point of contact (out of 24(?) frames per second). 

Similar to rugby. Ref often calls his on field decision (if he is pretty much certain) and basically asks for the element of the play he has a doubt about to be replayed - he needs to be properly convinced to change his on field decision.

One common element in every other sport where video or technology is used SUCCESSFULLY to assist the refs/umpires?

Everyone in the stadium/arena sees the play being reviewed/questioned. 

Edited by Jammy T

Thing about restricting challenges or goals m field decisions though means things like the cricket today happening - Australia should have had another LBW wicket but didn’t challenge and Umpire didn’t call for review.

Edited by Jammy T

Smoked-Glass
35 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Are they showing the VAR replies on the stadium screens in the EPL?

VAR does work but will work much better if:

1. This happens (decision is reviewed on stadium screens) because it aids transparency.

2. The nature of the foul is confirmed on the screen if found to have been committed.

3. The ref is miked up as in rugby. Again helps enforce transparency and accountability.

Anyway, the pish that some people were spouting about “that’s what fitba is all aboot - moaning about the refs decisions in the pub after the game. VAR will take that away” is proving to be utter garbage.

There are still talking points for people to slaver on about.

It's ruined the game 

I liked VAR, now I don’t. 

I have no problem using video technology, I think it’s a good thing and progressive but this system is bollocks.

It’s too slow.

Fans are chanting for VAR.

Players are bugging refs to go to VAR.

Supporters can’t celebrate a goal now until they have confirmation.

Some of the decisions are ridiculous, especially the hand ball ones because in real time, humans can’t physically move their hand out of the way quick enough. 

Players are afraid to commit into challenges now because a bad tackle always looks worse on a replay. 

It needs to be limited to certain decisions and the ref should not go to see a replay imo.

The fans should not know if a decision has gone to VAR, it should happen that quickly.

The video ref should make the call immediately if he see’s something. 

It should be used for red cards and penalty decisions “given”, not for what the ref had missed and then called back. I don’t like that, it’s shite.

It doesn’t work for marginal offsides, it isn’t 100% accurate so it should not be used. It should only be used for goals given and if there is a “clear” offside. 

It needs to be limited imo.

On top of that, some new rules are shite.

The handball rule must change to “hand must deliberately play ball” 

This penalty rule with keepers having one foot on the line when the ball is played is a shambles. 

Laporte would have known instantly the ball came off his arm.

Could have saved all the bother by not cheating, trying to gain an advantage by continuing to celebrate the goal.

If of course as a pro footballer he has even bothered to make any effort to find out about the new law amendments.

Seems it's only since VAR that the ball has hit the back of the net, fans have celebrated, only for a goal to be chalked off.

16 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I liked VAR, now I don’t. 

I have no problem using video technology, I think it’s a good thing and progressive but this system is bollocks.

It’s too slow.

Fans are chanting for VAR.

Players are bugging refs to go to VAR.

Some of the decisions are ridiculous, especially the hand ball ones because in real time, humans can’t physically move their hand out of the way quick enough. 

Players are afraid to commit into challenges now because a bad tackle always looks worse on a replay. 

It needs to be limited to certain decisions and the ref should not go to see a replay imo.

The fans should not know if a decision has gone to VAR, it should happen that quickly.

The video ref should make the call immediately if he see’s something. 

It should be used for red cards and penalty decisions “given”, not for what the ref had missed and then called back. I don’t like that, it’s shite.

It doesn’t work for marginal offsides, it isn’t 100% accurate so it should not be used. It should only be used for goals given and if there is a “clear” offside. 

It needs to be limited imo.

On top of that, some new rules are shite.

The handball rule must change to “hand must deliberately play ball” 

This penalty rule with keepers having one foot on the line when the ball is played is a shambles. 

So goals scored with a foul that the ref has missed (or ignored) just before the goal should be allowed to stand where games have VAR being used?? Just to avoid the wasted energy of celebrating a goal that is then cancelled?

Wow

You really don’t get it.

Anyway it’s here, it’s staying and 5 years from now everyone will wonder how we coped without it.

You’ll just have to deal with it or watch a sport that doesn’t have any review process. Like, erm, erm golf, snooker or darts. 

Edited by Jammy T

Stupid Sexy Flanders
28 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

For me, that's enough to bin it right now. If we're taking the joy out of celebrating a goal then we might as well not bother.

24 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

So goals scored with a foul that the ref has missed (or ignored) just before the goal should be allowed to stand where games have VAR being used?? Just to avoid the wasted energy of celebrating a goal that is then cancelled?

Wow

You really don’t get it.

Anyway it’s here, it’s staying and 5 years from now everyone will wonder how we coped without it.

You’ll just have to deal with it or watch a sport that doesn’t have any review process. Like, erm, erm golf, snooker or darts. 

I get it. I don’t like it because it’s sucking the life out of the game.

You’re welcome to your opinion.

Yes. 

It should only be used for decisions a ref has given and to be overruled. Not for stuff the ref has missed. 

The rest of your post post is pure shite btw. 👍🏼

Maybe I watch too much cricket, rugby and tennis but I've become pretty immune to video refereeing.

And being a half dozen + games rugby attender you still celebrate tries, even when you know there is a chance the score could be reversed.

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Maybe I watch too much cricket, rugby and tennis but I've become pretty immune to video refereeing.

And being a half dozen + games rugby attender you still celebrate tries, even when you know there is a chance the score could be reversed.

You’re immune because it works - and VAR  become better as all the cave dwellers become immune to it too.

You’ll also get the chance to celebrate a goal twice when confirmed by VAR 😀

Anyone that can’t see the benefits of VAR is speaking pure shite BTW 👍

Just watching both VAR decisions in the Spurs and in the Brighton game.

Both correct under the rules of the game.

Fair play wins.

Pure shite this fairness of decisions by the way 👍

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, LeylandJambo said:

Common sense would be too subjective. If they allow one close call then pull up an equally close call against the other team there would be mayhem. Best to be ridiculously accurate on all decisions down to the millimetre. 

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Common sense would be too subjective. If they allow one close call then pull up an equally close call against the other team there would be mayhem. Best to be ridiculously accurate on all decisions down to the millimetre. 

It would be much better if each team just got 2 reviews or similar.   Game would flow better, refs wouldnt feel as much pressure and the fans in the ground, the lifeblood of the game would enjoy the game more.  The fans half the time dont know whats going on, var is made for the sit at home tv fans.  

Footballs not perfect, but fans love the speed of the game, the impusle and the passion.  Once we get to the point where every goal is reviewed it will suck the passion out of the celebrating fans.  Once that goes football is on a downward spiral.

Goals, pens and offside should only be overturned for clear and obvious mistakes which the defending team has asked to be reviewed out of there 1/2/3 reviews they would get.

The Internet

This isn't what var should be used for imo. Forensically examining every goal looking for a reason to disallow it. **** off. Should only be used when the ref has made a really obviously bad decision, but the robots can't allow that cos there would have to be some sort common sense rather than an absolute. Lot of shite. 

Smoked-Glass

Thank fk we r not getting up here in Scotland.   Maybe our game will flourish while the English ones last about 2 hours on average and be boring.   

Edited by Smoked-Glass

The new handball rules seem crazy but, think about it in the Scottish context.

If it's handball unless the defender's arms are in the "silhouette" position, it removes the referee's interpretation of whether it's a penalty or not and, with the incompetence/bias of our referees, anything that removes their interpretation has to be good.

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Probably one of the reasons we’re not getting VAR up here. Imagine that City last minute winner being disallowed at Parkhead!

Seymour M Hersh
14 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Invented by a Spurs fan????

get it up ye city😂😂😂

coys 

Just saw MoTD and the spurs fans immediately started singing VAR my lord, VAR to the tune of Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah!. :laugh: 👏