Hickey

Beast Boy

I used to hate it when the press started salivating about an old firm youngster, who after a few games should be starting for Scotland and who will play at the very top. We have also done it in the past as recently as with Cochrane. Hickey has done amazingly well so far if he can keep.up that level of performance then he may well play at the top levels of the game, but let's not over hype and hope it. 

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• wavydavy

• Mikey1874

• Forever Hearts

YouLetYourClubDie
9 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Wrong

Since the Cup Final I am sure we have been tried to tie him down for longer and the fact he hasn't signed yet concerns me.

3 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Since the Cup Final I am sure we have been tried to tie him down for longer and the fact he hasn't signed yet concerns me.

As other people have said he cant sign a longer contract until he turns 18.

14 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

As much as I love Hickey and I’m excited about his potential, anybody suggesting he is already better than Tierney needs their head examined.

:cornette:

Indeed they do bizarre to compare and to suggest tierney is poor is beyond belief 

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Indeed they do bizarre to compare and to suggest tierney is poor is beyond belief 

he’s not poor, but he’s not exceptional.. he’s not unbeatable defensively and he’s not special going forward, he’s got a great engine and good on the ball.

I think hickey has a higher ceiling.. we will know in a few years time

Excited about this one. 

We're about due a real quality player through the academy. 

It's been a while since Gordon, Naysmith and even Paterson i guess.

Unknown user
9 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Dunno if anyone else has replied to you as I haven’t read all the comments but I’m sure if you think about it you can work it out for yourself. Oh and it’s our window that’s open as we are the team signing the player.

No need to be like that, if it's so easy why not explain it clearly and succinctly?

I looked up FIFA regulations on transfers last night but they're brutal, the certificates required aren't ever mentioned in the press or among fans that I know of, so again if anyone does have a link to regulations that clarify the rule player registration/ work permit process I'd be right interested. 

He is an outstanding prospect. One we need to nurture. Play him when we can but also rest him. He’s still developing both as a player and physically. Do t want him to be a victim of burnout. We should be really excited about having this player. 

Just now, Hercules said:

He is an outstanding prospect. One we need to nurture. Play him when we can but also rest him. He’s still developing both as a player and physically. Do t want him to be a victim of burnout. We should be really excited about having this player. 

Was thinking this morning what my team for Celtic would be this Sunday and it made me wonder about Hickey.

Instinct is to just keep playing the kid, isn't it?  But now we have White, there is no need to do so, so I wonder if the management team will use him sparingly this season...

I think my pref would be to aim for a settled back 4 - so choose an LB and go with it until you need to change due to injury, suspension, form.  At the moment, that's Hickey.

Of course, these discussions are always a bit moot as we're not at training, don't know who has a niggle - and all the sports science stuff these days too.  But in essence, it'll be very interesting to see our approach with the lad.

It's one of those positions where it's quite a direct approach  - one left back plays each week.  So different to Irving, for example, who will be a horses for courses player like probably a number of our midfielders and forwards.

37 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

he’s not poor, but he’s not exceptional.. he’s not unbeatable defensively and he’s not special going forward, he’s got a great engine and good on the ball.

I think hickey has a higher ceiling.. we will know in a few years time

If he turns out like tierney I would be delighted but a long way to go and I think he won’t be playing left back 

Who was the last home-grown left back to make the first team and get us salivating over his performances? Paul McMullan... and what happened to him?

Forgive me for not going over the top yet, but Hickey needs much more time before we can start comparing him to Naysmith, Robertson or Tierney. He needs to keep his feet on the ground, work hard, learn and develop into the player we all hope he can be. He has a tremendous raw talent, but it takes a lot more than that to become a top footballer.

heartsfc_fan
4 minutes ago, BervieJambo said:

Who was the last home-grown left back to make the first team and get us salivating over his performances?

Lee Wallace?

Fair enough, but he didn’t exactly make the most of his potential either... ( though, granted, he has probably pocketed enough cash to keep him going for a while)

2 minutes ago, BervieJambo said:

Fair enough, but he didn’t exactly make the most of his potential either... ( though, granted, he has probably pocketed enough cash to keep him going for a while)

Lee was a good player, but nowhere as technically gifted as Hickey.  Lee was an athlete first and foremost, or that's the way I saw him.

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, BervieJambo said:

He was too loyal to the basket case when they got put down to the bottom tier. He could easily have played in the lower half of the EPL or for a decent Championship team down south. 

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

He was too loyal to the basket case when they got put down to the bottom tier. He could easily have played in the lower half of the EPL or for a decent Championship team down south. 

LOL.

New club admitted into the league set-up following the death of a previous member club. 

We digress... it’s far too early to say whether Hickey, Cochrane and Irving will be international superstars or the next McMullan, Janczyk and Simmons. I’ve got my fingers crossed for the former - I think the talent is there - but ultimately it’s up to their hard work... and maybe a little luck in avoiding serious injuries.

Forever Hearts
21 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

LOL.

New club admitted into the league set-up following the death of a previous member club. 

Aye, whatever. 🙄

2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Aye, whatever. 🙄

You seem to care about them, so you might as well get your facts correct.

:thumbs_up:

5 minutes ago, BervieJambo said:

We digress... it’s far too early to say whether Hickey, Cochrane and Irving will be international superstars or the next McMullan, Janczyk and Simmons. I’ve got my fingers crossed for the former - I think the talent is there - but ultimately it’s up to their hard work... and maybe a little luck in avoiding serious injuries.

They need to get as much game time as their bodies can take at their ages. Often young players are given too many games which can burn them out but not getting enough games can have a detrimental effect on their development to.

It is a fine line getting it just right and every player is different so there are no set guidlines to follow.

We just have to hope that CL calls it right  because these guys along with one or two others could make our club a lot of money.

Getintaethem
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Was thinking this morning what my team for Celtic would be this Sunday and it made me wonder about Hickey.

Instinct is to just keep playing the kid, isn't it?  But now we have White, there is no need to do so, so I wonder if the management team will use him sparingly this season...

I think my pref would be to aim for a settled back 4 - so choose an LB and go with it until you need to change due to injury, suspension, form.  At the moment, that's Hickey.

Of course, these discussions are always a bit moot as we're not at training, don't know who has a niggle - and all the sports science stuff these days too.  But in essence, it'll be very interesting to see our approach with the lad.

It's one of those positions where it's quite a direct approach  - one left back plays each week.  So different to Irving, for example, who will be a horses for courses player like probably a number of our midfielders and forwards.

Was watching an interview with Jose Moriniho where he was talking about the young players at Chelsea.  He basically said that young players should only be in the first team for the right reasons, and those reasons being that they are better than the senior players that they're keeping out of the team.

I think in the past we have been guilty of playing youngsters just to give them experience.  Right now I feel Hickey and Irving are there on merit, so should play against Celtic.  The rest should have to wait their chance, or go on loan if there are more than one senior pro in contention before them.

Youngster will inevitably make mistakes (Irving v Dundee Utd, Hickey v Aberdeen), then they should have to earn their place again as they have done.  Like I've said though, both deserve to start at Parkhead.

YouLetYourClubDie
3 hours ago, Herbert said:

As other people have said he cant sign a longer contract until he turns 18.

This rule doesn't seem at all fair and first time I have heard of it. It must discourage teams from playing players who are 16/17 and good enough due to fears that they will get poached by wealthier clubs.

StevenNaismith

Would fans accept taking a smallish fee for Hickey, keep him on loan and have a percentage of any future fee in return for a link up with Man City?

50 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Would fans accept taking a smallish fee for Hickey, keep him on loan and have a percentage of any future fee in return for a link up with Man City?

Far too early for him to go anywhere.

He has had a good start to his Hearts career nothing more.

1 hour ago, StevenNaismith said:

If City think he’s another Robertson or Tierney, £5m fee + two year loan back + Meshino for two years. If we don’t have him on a long term deal we may be forced to sell soon. The emergence of Scottish players once again in the EPL can only be good for a club like Hearts, if we can produce the players. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

If City think he’s another Robertson or Tierney, £5m fee + two year loan back + Meshino for two years. If we don’t have him on a long term deal we may be forced to sell soon. The emergence of Scottish players once again in the EPL can only be good for a club like Hearts, if we can produce the players. 

First one in a long time and shared with Celtic.

Tenaciousdandy

Laddie has a great future ahead of him, can see him playing in EPL in a few years time. hopefully we can tie him down and get a decent fee for him 

Forever Hearts
2 hours ago, SUTOL said:

You seem to care about them, so you might as well get your facts correct.

:thumbs_up:

You're confusing caring with not being obsessed with them. You should try it. 👍

49 minutes ago, benny said:

Far too early for him to go anywhere.

He has had a good start to his Hearts career nothing more.

He wouldn’t be going anywhere - we’d get him straight back on loan and pony some cash up front with potential add ons and in addition we’d get an exciting attacking player for a year or 2 who we couldn’t otherwise afford.

Whats the downside?

No matter how good Hickey gets we will lose him earlier and for much much less money than Celtic did with Tierney - as they have better bargaining power and Tierney has Champs league experience.

Edited by Jammy T

maroonlegions

Apparently we knocked  back Celtic who were in for him.They offered two Greggs steak bakes and  a bottle of Irn Bru.

Cheeky B**********. 

FTH. 

Edited by maroonlegions

Heartsofgold
2 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Aye, whatever. 🙄

Exactly what was wrong with the statement you replied too.  This is exactly what happened.  Rangers were liquidated and the GFA/SFL bent over backwards while taking the blue boaby up their respective shitboxes to admit them back into the professional league.  They broke all their own rules to allow Rangers back into professional football.

Special Agent Dale Cooper
18 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Apparently we knocked  back Celtic who were in for him.They offered two Greggs steak bakes and  a bottle of Irn Bru.

Cheeky B**********. 

FTH. 

Throw in a fudge doughnut and I'd be severely tempted...

5 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Exactly what was wrong with the statement you replied too.  This is exactly what happened.  Rangers were liquidated and the GFA/SFL bent over backwards while taking the blue boaby up their respective shitboxes to admit them back into the professional league.  They broke all their own rules to allow Rangers back into professional football.

Don't reply to him, it means you are obsessed...

Forever Hearts
38 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

😴😴😴😴😴

Heartsofgold
29 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

😴😴😴😴😴

Ah, the response of a true Hun.  Finally showing your real colours.  

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, Heartsofgold said:

Ah, the response of a true Hun.  Finally showing your real colours.  

Ah, the old personal insults. So original as well. 🙄

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

Ah, the old personal insults. So original as well. 🙄

Original, traditional. Potato, potato.

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

You're confusing caring with not being obsessed with them. You should try it. 👍

3 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

The Sevco moon howlers are out in force. 😀

Yes you are.  Why do you care so much?

Haringshairband
4 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

The Sevco moon howlers are out in force. 😀

Your next post is 1690. Better make the most of it.

7 hours ago, wavydavy said:

They need to get as much game time as their bodies can take at their ages. Often young players are given too many games which can burn them out but not getting enough games can have a detrimental effect on their development to.

It is a fine line getting it just right and every player is different so there are no set guidlines to follow.

We just have to hope that CL calls it right  because these guys along with one or two others could make our club a lot of money.

Personally would prefer to watch them flourish and grow in a Hearts Jersey first.  We seem to still be accepting that we should move on our talented youngsters ASAP. 

indianajones

Kickback is a scary place sometimes. 

Hickeys had an excellent start. Hopefully he can keep developing as he is and we can keep him during this time! 

FarmerTweedy
9 hours ago, wavydavy said:

It's not just about, or even mainly about in fact, the money these guys could make us, it's primarily about the potentially transformative effect these guys could have on our team.

If (and it's a bloody huge if!) in about two or three years from now, we had about four or five of these guys in our first team together, and all reaching the sort of levels that they've so far shown potential for, we might see a very different overall standard of performances from anything we've seen in many, many years. 

Like I say, huge if though! 

54 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

It's not just about, or even mainly about in fact, the money these guys could make us, it's primarily about the potentially transformative effect these guys could have on our team.

If (and it's a bloody huge if!) in about two or three years from now, we had about four or five of these guys in our first team together, and all reaching the sort of levels that they've so far shown potential for, we might see a very different overall standard of performances from anything we've seen in many, many years. 

Like I say, huge if though! 

That's how I see it too. Its funny how everyone's first thought is market value these days. I do it too, but try not to!

The excitement is seeing the player in maroon for me.

And even then,  when they leave, the pride in seeing one of our lads do well.

I try not to think of the dosh side of things. It's not why I love football!

stranraer-jambo
13 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

That's how I see it too. Its funny how everyone's first thought is market value these days. I do it too, but try not to!

The excitement is seeing the player in maroon for me.

And even then,  when they leave, the pride in seeing one of our lads do well.

I try not to think of the dosh side of things. It's not why I love football!

Likewise. 

And the more of our Academy players that make it with our first team, and beyond, the greater the chance that we can attract the better quality players to our Academy.