Hickey

Beast Boy

Really like the look of this laddie. Dominated the Daemons’ wunderkid despite carrying a bit of a knock. 

:pleasing:

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• wavydavy

• Mikey1874

• Forever Hearts

stevie1874

Showed a lot of heart & grit to keep going the last 20 minutes (Clare take note) , and never afraid to take the ball. Impressed with him, Irving & Smith?

Unknown user

He looked great, really skinny wee legs though! :laugh:

Such confidence on the ball is a joy to see, and the ability to wriggle out of tight situations is a common theme with the young guys. I'm excited for the future despite the current negativity, I really hope Levein's at the helm to reap the rewards. We'll all be thanking him one day either way. 

You just reminded me by mentioning Dembele - didn't Celtic have a go at us for risking Harry's health when we played him in the first team against grown men at 16?

Edited by Smithee

Levein seems to really rate this laddie so I'm hopeful!

Looks composed and not out of place. I think, again, like Cochrane last season physically he's not quite there but at only 16 thats nothing to worry about! 

Assuming we can keep most of these lads for their 100 odd games we'll have a very exciting team in the coming seasons! My hope is that we can use these lads in a larger role to allow us to bring in better pros (rather than having 2/3s of our squad as journeymen soaking up a wage disproportionate to their input). 

18 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You just reminded me by mentioning Dembele - didn't Celtic have a go at us for risking Harry's health when we played him in the first team against grown men at 16?

Yeah I remember that too. Brown absolutely halfed Harry. Ridiculous comment from Celtic and the foul clearly came from Browns bruised ego from the 4-0 game. 

Can't say Im buying anything about this Dembele, clearly has no interest in playing for Scotland (hence the humming and hawing over his international future). Would expect Celtic to be 'lucky' to hold on to him for more than a season of first team football. Will be gone before he's 19. 

Edited by OTT

Finlay James

Hickey done great today, he has a big future.

Hearts are the club to be at right now, exciting times ahead that's for sure.

Cruyff Turn

Aye, he’s a good player and he’s not even physically grown. Two footed, composed, brave. 

The young lads have shown up a few of the first team as imposters. 

Ronald Villiers

I like the look of this guy.  He's got great potential and could make us a lot of cash.  He's very composed for a 16 year old and will hopefully continue to improve like Dr Funk did before heading to Cardiff City.

gashauskis9

Hate to make similarities, but in terms of skill, energy and frame he reminds me a lot of Wallace when he first came through. Bodes well ?.

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

He looked great, really skinny wee legs though! :laugh:

Such confidence on the ball is a joy to see, and the ability to wriggle out of tight situations is a common theme with the young guys. I'm excited for the future despite the current negativity, I really hope Levein's at the helm to reap the rewards. We'll all be thanking him one day either way. 

What does that mean exactly?

Edited by wavydavy

letsalldothebeattie

Looked solid again. Clearly struggling late on not sure why he wasn’t hooked but he battled on brilliantly 

hearts related nickname
3 hours ago, wavydavy said:

What does that mean exactly?

That in hindsight, once the academy develops a reputation bringing through talents such as Hickey, that Levein will be thanked for building the academy to the standard it is at. Regardless of whether he is successful as our manager. 

Hearts1975

Looks a great talent in the making .. was impressed with how he carried the ball and always looking up to pick the right pass

Confident and assured on the ball and that was him playing with a knock 

Thinks once he builds his physicality and frame that he will get better and better 

Similarily, Irvine and Smith - Thought the 3 of them looked really good and what is even better is that, that was supposedly the "lions den" - No fear at all - well done to the 3 lads 

4 hours ago, hearts related nickname said:

That in hindsight, once the academy develops a reputation bringing through talents such as Hickey, that Levein will be thanked for building the academy to the standard it is at. Regardless of whether he is successful as our manager. 

Don’t think anyone’s ever said anything negatively about Leveins ability on that front. Should be academy director 

13 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

Don’t think anyone’s ever said anything negatively about Leveins ability on that front. Should be academy director 

Really? I think they have:

9 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Really like the look of this laddie. Dominated the Daemons’ wunderkid despite carrying a bit of a knock. 

:pleasing:

Such pace drive and desire, like most of the youngsters on show yesterday.

Second half we seemed to shut down a little but the enthusiasm was there for all to see.

More of the same please.

Just now, neonjambo said:

Such pace drive and desire, like most of the youngsters on show yesterday.

Second half we seemed to shut down a little but the enthusiasm was there for all to see.

More of the same please.

What was telling for me, was how much better Clare and Wighton looked with these guys around them. Fit young technically good players passing and moving.

Didn’t even look at the match thread yesterday, other than to get the line-ups.  Although someone mentioned to me that Clare and Wighton were both being slagged off... makes you wonder what the point is really. ?

2 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

What was telling for me, was how much better Clare and Wighton looked with these guys around them. Fit young technically good players passing and moving.

Didn’t even look at the match thread yesterday, other than to get the line-ups.  Although someone mentioned to me that Clare and Wighton were both being slagged off... makes you wonder what the point is really. ?

People will state like it was a nothing game, but the kids played like their lives depended on it, if we could instill that through the whole squad even with the players we have, bunch of misfits ect, then we would be onto something special.

Robbo, Colquhoun, Levein, Mackay, Crabbe.

Technically looked so comfortable, but as others have mentioned, equally if not as impressive was the desire and heart to keep competing when in such pain...think we all had a chuckle at him obviously in pain one second and just getting on with it the next! A trait that has seemed to be somewhat reduced in players over the years....Really really impressed by him and cant wait to hopefully see his development in a Hearts top ☺?

1 minute ago, neonjambo said:

People will state like it was a nothing game, but the kids played like their lives depended on it, if we could instill that through the whole squad even with the players we have, bunch of misfits ect, then we would be onto something special.

Robbo, Colquhoun, Levein, Mackay, Crabbe.

Imagine? :wow:

This is the wildcard. We have signed some special players, and we have a few solid pros. Right from the start Levein has made it absolutely clear that the aim is to have academy graduates making up the bulk of the team going forward. Most are still young, but they are starting to knock on the door of the first team. If a few of them make the step up, and beat the odds, then we might just be on the verge of something special.

This is the area where we can try and compete with Celtic and Rangers, because we just aren’t in the same ballpark when it comes to first team players, as they can pay far greater wages.

Give the club time.

As much as things aren't great on the pitch at the moment the first crop of youth produced under the new system will start to filter into the first team over the next 2 years.

Echoing the above. Exciting times ahead.

Great tackle in the first half in the box, thought he did really well. The problem left back slot could be solved with one of our own. He is a young lad but definitely has something about him. The evening news ratings were critical of him, usual nonsense. And Barry Anderson gushing over the Celtic youngsters where he barely gave a nod to ours. Pathetic.

But hickey looks a real prospect. Must get first team game time next season

Tasavallan
23 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Give the club time.

As much as things aren't great on the pitch at the moment the first crop of youth produced under the new system will start to filter into the first team over the next 2 years.

Echoing the above. Exciting times ahead.

Very much this.  Despite Levein's problems with the short term, I feel the future is looking bright.

Young players need to be nurtured.  History has shown that talented teenagers with potential do not make the breakthrough by the time they reach 21.  Whatever did happen to Copil and his downward spiral?

Unknown user
5 hours ago, hearts related nickname said:

Cheers, I thought it was so obvious I couldn't be arsed spelling it out, although really I meant we'll be grateful for the rebuild of the whole shebang, especially the academy. 

We'll win that league one day because of the work he's put in, I've never seen a group of youngsters with that kind of confidence, dynamism and ability on the ball at Hearts. 

Edited by Smithee

7 hours ago, hearts related nickname said:

So the Academy Manager Roger Arnott takes no credit then just Levein?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Impressed with him. Got intelligence, positions himself well. But I have to say I was similarly impressed with Brandon when he first turned up and he appears to be struggling a bit now. Perhaps the injuries have hindered him.

Back to Hickey. 2 good feet and passes well.

Got to disagree with the OP, thought Dembele dominated for 25 minutes, oddly, the more pain that Hickey suffered with cramp, the less Dembele had an impact.

Overall very early days, but an exciting prospect, would take a gamble on playing him for an hour on Saturday. With a 4th sub allowed in extra time, not such a huge gamble these days.

Thought Hickey and Irving both looked as if they belonged in that environment.

Unknown user
38 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Literally no one has said that, stop trying to find an argument

9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Davy's not trying to find an argument as such; he's just trying to take as much of the credit as he can away from his hero Craig.

colinmaroon
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Facetious argument created out of nothing.

Where does anybody say that others don't take some credit?

If the young players turn out to be flops, who will YOU blame, Roger or Craig?  Honest answer!!!

Edited by colinmaroon

18Jambo_dave74

I thought he was very composed yesterday and showed a lot of guts and heart to carry on even though he was clearly struggling. The experience will do him the world of good. 

It seemed like he was going on to his right foot quite a lot yesterday - is he naturally right footed or just very comfortable with both feet?

43 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Impressed with him. Got intelligence, positions himself well. But I have to say I was similarly impressed with Brandon when he first turned up and he appears to be struggling a bit now. Perhaps the injuries have hindered him.

Back to Hickey. 2 good feet and passes well.

Got to disagree with the OP, thought Dembele dominated for 25 minutes, oddly, the more pain that Hickey suffered with cramp, the less Dembele had an impact.

Overall very early days, but an exciting prospect, would take a gamble on playing him for an hour on Saturday. With a 4th sub allowed in extra time, not such a huge gamble these days.

Thought Hickey and Irving both looked as if they belonged in that environment.

You canny compare Brandon and Hickey!! Brandon was a couple of years older re his debut, Brandon most defo cant use either foot equally as well...and thats just for starters....

Hickey could have some career ahead of him with the right breaks....

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Davy's not trying to find an argument as such; he's just trying to take as much of the credit as he can away from his hero Craig.

Mind reading again Al.

25 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

If the young players turn out to be flops, who will YOU blame, Roger or Craig?  Honest answer!!!

Both.

51 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm not trying to find an argument just pointing out that there could well be someone else who possibly deserves credit.

Tasavallan
39 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Well it will not be Levein as according to some on here he will be soon gone.  Question should have been: Academy Manager or DOF?  

Unknown user
28 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I'm not trying to find an argument just pointing out that there could well be someone else who possibly deserves credit.

:laugh: that would be much more convincing if you'd said "don't forget arnott!" or "lots of other people deserve credit too" when I said we'll thank Levein one day, but you went with "What does that mean exactly?"

Footballfirst

Match the names to the faces from an U11 squad pictured in August 2012 (photo by Ron MacNeill).  Note that not all pictured are on the team list and vice versa. It was a squad that was thought at the time to have the potential to become Hearts golden generation.

1eSIDcc.jpg

image.png.224193e89a0d53e40a467af5af2b59bf.png

Edited by Footballfirst

4 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Hardly rocket science - or it shoudn't be. This is where a good manager should excel - getting the mix right and if it's done successfully you end up with better individuals and groups large and small who really "understand" each other. Think of the amost telepathic understanding that developed between the likes of Paul Hartley, Rudi Skacel and and Takis Fyssas. Now, I know they were all mature, experienced footballers but that in itself wouldn't guarantee their bond and almost intuitive understanding of each other's play. I mean, even Calum Eliot improved dramatically surrounded by the right team mates. I hate to say it but Clare and Wighton looked better because they were as you say playing with "fit young technically good players passing and moving", which to them was probably a whole new experience from what they normally have to suffer in the 1st team.

colinmaroon
48 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Well it will not be Levein as according to some on here he will be soon gone.  Question should have been: Academy Manager or DOF?  

Even if he goes there some on here that will be blaming him if we get any duds through the Academy in 10 years time!

2 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Hardly rocket science - or it shoudn't be. This is where a good manager should excel - getting the mix right and if it's done successfully you end up with better individuals and groups large and small who really "understand" each other. Think of the amost telepathic understanding that developed between the likes of Paul Hartley, Rudi Skacel and and Takis Fyssas. Now, I know they were all mature, experienced footballers but that in itself wouldn't guarantee their bond and almost intuitive understanding of each other's play. I mean, even Calum Eliot improved dramatically surrounded by the right team mates. I hate to say it but Clare and Wighton looked better because they were as you say playing with "fit young technically good players passing and moving", which to them was probably a whole new experience from what they normally have to suffer in the 1st team.

I think it did have something to do with the blend, I agree with you. Clare and Wighton are skilful players and they seemed more on the same page playing with the academy boys in terms of ball control and movement. that's not to say that all our usual first team players don't have these things, but maybe it was just the youthful exuberance and lack of fear? Either way, I was pleased to see them both click a lot better than recent displays.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, GavK1012 said:

You canny compare Brandon and Hickey!! Brandon was a couple of years older re his debut, Brandon most defo cant use either foot equally as well...and thats just for starters....

Hickey could have some career ahead of him with the right breaks....

I wasn't comparing them. All I said, Brandon looked equally good on debut. An example, that early games, there can be a honeymoon period.

Sorry you missed the positives

WheatfieldWarrior
35 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Match the names to the faces from an U11 squad pictured in August 2012 (photo by Ron MacNeill).  Note that not all pictured are on the team list and vice versa. It was a squad that was thought at the time to have the potential to become Hearts golden generation.

1eSIDcc.jpg

image.png.224193e89a0d53e40a467af5af2b59bf.png

Is Hickey, immediately right of centre back row?

43 minutes ago, Smithee said:

:laugh: that would be much more convincing if you'd said "don't forget arnott!" or "lots of other people deserve credit too" when I said we'll thank Levein one day, but you went with "What does that mean exactly?"

You actually said We'll all be thanking him one day either way.  "either way"  was really the part I wanted to understand more about what you meant.

Equally you could have said we'll thank Levein and his team one day that arguamnet works two ways.

Unknown user
16 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

You actually said We'll all be thanking him one day either way.  "either way"  was really the part I wanted to understand more about what you meant.

Equally you could have said we'll thank Levein and his team one day that arguamnet works two ways.

It's pretty simple, I was talking about Levein, not Arnott. 

I can't help it if you're triggered by people saying something positive about our manager.

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's pretty simple, I was talking about Levein, not Arnott. 

I can't help it if you're triggered by people saying something positive about our manager.

What do you mean triggered.?

I was suggesting that Levein has someone else who deserves credit not just attributed to him.

It's no different to those defending Levein when things aren't going too well suggesting there are others who are culpable so similarly others might deserve praise.

The point is though that this thread is about Aaron Hickey who by all accounts looks a decent young player and played well yesterday as did the other young players.

Here's hoping they continue to improve and get the game time they need to continue in that vein. I am sure they will especially if we are able to secure Naismith who will be a big help to those lads.

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

What do you mean triggered.?

I was suggesting that Levein has someone else who deserves credit not just attributed to him.

It's no different to those defending Levein when things aren't going too well suggesting there are others who are culpable so similarly others might deserve praise.

The point is though that this thread is about Aaron Hickey who by all accounts looks a decent young player and played well yesterday as did the other young players.

Here's hoping they continue to improve and get the game time they need to continue in that vein. I am sure they will especially if we are able to secure Naismith who will be a big help to those lads.

If we do sign Naismith I'm giving all the credit to levein, just to annoy you

Edited by Smithee