Ann Budge

Meadows

Jambo, Goodbye
2 minutes ago, McCrae said:

I am sure they are, but I wouldn’t be surprised if women’s football is never profitable.

It’s not an excellent investment. It should be treated as an expensive gift to a preferred cause.

A majority percentage of our paying customers are men. I'd imagine men are more into football because we can take part ridiculously easily,  even those of us who are crap can enjoy the sport somehow. 

Giving the next generation of young girls a sport that they can actively take part in (and aspire to play at a decent level) will only increase future interest and possibly lead to a bigger conversion of Edinburgh lassies going to Tynie.

Have you ever seen a large group of women out for a footy game? Not with the father,  brother or husband/bf, but just together? Me neither, and that's a lot of potential revenue for any football team to grasp onto. 

The days of fanbases being built up with fathers and sons could be over. Maybe this is how we get Tynie sold out weekly. 

Thinking outside the box is the only way we'll compete for 1st spot one day imo. 

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Boab

• davemclaren

• AJAMBO

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

A majority percentage of our paying customers are men. I'd imagine men are more into football because we can take part ridiculously easily,  even those of us who are crap can enjoy the sport somehow. 

Giving the next generation of young girls a sport that they can actively take part in (and aspire to play at a decent level) will only increase future interest and possibly lead to a bigger conversion of Edinburgh lassies going to Tynie.

Have you ever seen a large group of women out for a footy game? Not with the father,  brother or husband/bf, but just together? Me neither, and that's a lot of potential revenue for any football team to grasp onto. 

The days of fanbases being built up with fathers and sons could be over. Maybe this is how we get Tynie sold out weekly. 

Thinking outside the box is the only way we'll compete for 1st spot one day imo. 

Good post. 👍

2 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

The women’s game has been played for decades. It’s been big in the US for more than 20 years....but it fails to make any money. No one has paid a transfer fee for a female player.

Nothing wrong in supporting this at an amateur level, but it is not worth supporting professionally.

sandylejambo

she has done brilliantly for us, its the manager who has let everyone down, things are about to get better, with or without Craig Levein, the next few results will decide that, I suspect.

Dallas Green
20 minutes ago, McCrae said:

The women’s game has been played for decades. It’s been big in the US for more than 20 years....but it fails to make any money. No one has paid a transfer fee for a female player.

Nothing wrong in supporting this at an amateur level, but it is not worth supporting professionally.

That is incorrect.

They arent large amounts but fees have been paid.

Jambo, Goodbye
31 minutes ago, McCrae said:

I'm not talking about transfer fees. I'm just trying to open your mind to the ways in which we can entice a huge non-attending section of edinburgh to do something else with their saturdays.

Inclusion = involvement = tickets sold

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

1 hour ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

I'm not talking about transfer fees. I'm just trying to open your mind to the ways in which we can entice a huge non-attending section of edinburgh to do something else with their saturdays.

Inclusion = involvement = tickets sold

I am not suggesting denying anyone the opportunity to play.  I don’t think a business case can be made for the game being professional at this time. It’s still at the Amateur level. Women’s football can support itself.

If we are going to gift money to encourage participation in football a better cause would be to support more disabled people to play. This is where the money is really needed.

Edited by McCrae

Their complete absence suggests that this market doesn't exist.

Jambo, Goodbye
9 minutes ago, stan said:

Their complete absence suggests that this market doesn't exist.

Women in edinburgh don't exist? 

I know what you really meant,  but simply saying "it can't be done" doesn't sound like Ann's vocabulary. 

Girls interest in footy is growing to new levels. I'm only suggesting that maybe our investments could see a monetary return (one day). 

Tynie can't just continue to be 90% men if we want to increase our attendances imo. 

georgiehearts66
9 hours ago, GorgieRules22 said:

She does a great job and we’re lucky to have her.....However her friendship with Craig Levein can be the only reason as to why he’s still on a job.

Not a good situation as football matters at the club have falling off a cliff.

16 minutes ago, Boab said:

We should all be supporting woman’s football.

Good on the Budge for that.

Of course we should support it.... but we don’t need to pay for professional coaches. 

Stephen Muddie
9 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I can't confirm that, 3rd will be difficult, but I think 70 points would do it, we should be capable of that. 

"No excuses" , is a bit much tho, imo. 

Whoa... 70pts? As in, 20 wins, 10 draws, 8 defeats out of 38??

Lost one and drawn one so far... Feck aye, we should be well capable of winning 20 and drawing 9 out of 36 I reckon. 

1 hour ago, McCrae said:

Of course we should support it.... but we don’t need to pay for professional coaches. 

Women's football is not so obviously connected to money as men's football. Getting a really good professional set up in one of the fastest growing sports in the country makes a great deal of sense. It also attracts another audience to the club in general which can only be good. Let's face it there is far more chance of the women's team being a far more significant force than the men's team as the playing field is still relatively level. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Stephen Muddie said:

Whoa... 70pts? As in, 20 wins, 10 draws, 8 defeats out of 38??

Lost one and drawn one so far... Feck aye, we should be well capable of winning 20 and drawing 9 out of 36 I reckon. 

We'll need to improve, but I still reckon we'd have got third last year if our injuries hadn't been so bad. 67 points was third last year, 70 points is the equivalent of 6 more wins this year to last year for us. 

Entirely possible, imo and if not our signings have been shite and  CL will be sacked 

siegementality
10 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

The manager has been fully backed by the board, if the manager fails to deliver this season, the board will take action.

There is no doubt about that

What constitutes a failure to deliver?

10 hours ago, martoon said:

A thread with balanced posts and good points by all. Hope I don't spoil it. 

Ann has been fantastic for the club. As important a figure in our history as anyone else. Our survival, the decision to keep us at Tynecastle and the rebuild of the main stand is as huge a contribution as any of our legendary players and managers.

Craig, too, has made a wonderful contribution to HMFC in different capacities over various spells in the last 36 years. A long association that deserves the respect and high esteem that he is generally held in.

I do believe Craig's time as a front line coach has ended but as a figurehead, negotiator, overseer of the Academy etc. he has so much still to give. 

The club is in great hands. 

Great post.  100% agree.

Women in edinburgh don't exist? 

I know what you really meant,  but simply saying "it can't be done" doesn't sound like Ann's vocabulary. 

Girls interest in footy is growing to new levels. I'm only suggesting that maybe our investments could see a monetary return (one day). 

Tynie can't just continue to be 90% men if we want to increase our attendances imo. 

Sorry I didn't mean to be entirely dismissive!

Ironically I started going to watch Hearts through a friendship with women footballers who were Hearts supporters.

They had a love of football from watching and playing ...this was 30 years ago.

kingantti1874
23 minutes ago, siegementality said:

What constitutes a failure to deliver?

worse than 4th. No progress at all in cups, losing to hibs

4 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Great post

Jambo, Goodbye
18 minutes ago, stan said:

Sorry I didn't mean to be entirely dismissive!

Ironically I started going to watch Hearts through a friendship with women footballers who were Hearts supporters.

They had a love of football from watching and playing ...this was 30 years ago.

No need to apologise, I knew you weren't being like that 👍

Exactly why I think investing in a woman's team could see us make the pennies back and some. Even nowadays I bet most fans don't start going the way you did. 

Maybe Ann is just being all woke, but I'd like to think there's a long term fanbase expansion/strategy in the woman's team being pushed up a notch. 

On 16/08/2019 at 13:26, McCrae said:

How on earth can you describe this as an excellent investment. There is no chance of any payback within the next 10 years.

If you don't comprehend widening the fan base - there's no point in me explaining...

On 16/08/2019 at 08:37, Smith's right boot said:

Don't agree with your last statement. 

Aberdeen will still think they can be third, but we should be close. 6th is poor. 

On JKB, we often dismiss the opposition far too easily. 

I agree, we can’t expect a minimum of third quite yet.   Fighting it out with Aberdeen for third is a fairer expectation based on the teams budgets. 

Edited by Nobreath

30 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

I agree, we can’t expect a minimum of third quite yet.   Fighting it out with Aberdeen for third is a fairer expectation based on the teams budgets. 

On budget you have to say Hearts , Hibs and Aberdeen fighting it out. But within that you could spunk your budget on 11 players and not get injuries or buy a good squad and be decimated by injuries. Our three budgets are so close that we all shop in the same market and get offered the same players a lot of the time. Hopefully that will change as our turnover continues to grow. 

In saying that the squad we have this season is second to Burleys in terms of quality imo so we should be there or there about for third. 

3 hours ago, jambali said:

If you don't comprehend widening the fan base - there's no point in me explaining...

A successful first team is far more likely to attract fans from all sections of the community.  A lot more women currently go to Tynecastle to watch the men’s team than will probably ever go to watch the women’s football despite it being free to attend. Women’s football, is very different to Men’s and is not that good to watch, it’s a very different product.

i fully agree that the club should support Women’s football. The issue is at what level.  Women’s football is not economically viable and our efforts should be to support  it as we do with other good football causes. Walking football, disabled football are all equally good causes that are  supported by the club.

if you don’t understand basic economics and the fact that Hearts not not very profitable there is no point in me explaining.

To turn the women’s football argument , IF ( big if ) the club were struggling financially, which department would be the first to go ? 

7 minutes ago, Meadows said:

To turn the women’s football argument , IF ( big if ) the club were struggling financially, which department would be the first to go ? 

Or cat amongst pigeons, Hearts Women are proving more successful, well ahead of targets schedules?

More investment......

Could the woman’s team not be scheduled to play straight after the men’s fixtures?

We only fill to capacity for the bigger games? For the less glamorous games we could market 1 ticket for both games so the people wanting to watch the ladies get to see the men’s game first, short break to clear the others and allow visitors in and continue with the ladies game?

Benefit financially and costs are reduced as security, Marshall’s etc cover both fixtures. Might encourage others to stay on and support the Jamboettes 👍

41 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Could the woman’s team not be scheduled to play straight after the men’s fixtures?

We only fill to capacity for the bigger games? For the less glamorous games we could market 1 ticket for both games so the people wanting to watch the ladies get to see the men’s game first, short break to clear the others and allow visitors in and continue with the ladies game?

Benefit financially and costs are reduced as security, Marshall’s etc cover both fixtures. Might encourage others to stay on and support the Jamboettes 👍

Similar plan in England I believe where the women play before the men? Not sure how it's working out but certainly worth thinking about.

1 hour ago, Meadows said:

I am guessing you think the answer might be the women's section and so it should be if it's not paying it's way.

If however it is profitable what would be the point?

Big Slim Stylee
2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Sound idea, that

Has to be ladies game first otherwise mostly everybody will simply feck off home between games.

Sad but true.

Single ticket covering both matches makes sense, encourages folk to turn up early and spend more money over the course of the entire day.

3 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Would that work with midweek games?  We'd finish about midnight.

What would be the situation with dressing-rooms etc?

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Would that work with midweek games?  We'd finish about midnight.

What would be the situation with dressing-rooms etc?

Midweek probably (almost certainly) not.

Weekend games though baring in mind I’m thinking they work around us not other way round. Yes.

There has to be a way were fixtures can be worked to maximise attendances for both and minimise costs?

Over to the club

Finlay James
6 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

This sometimes happens in the 6 nations

Stephen Muddie
3 hours ago, scratchy said:

It's...My.  

Happy Hearts you hear singing loud and singing clear.

And it's all because your here 

Wee Ann Budge.

You are you. Me is me. One more equals three. But am no sharin

Super Ann B Super Ann B

Stephen Muddie
5 hours ago, Cade said:

We do have two sets of dressing rooms, don't forget.

Way wur lyed two abowt the dress in rooms. Awl allong annE Buj new the rooms wood bee four the woman teem. Furst Crage Laveoin lyed sayin no gK knowe this.

Embarasin

On 16/08/2019 at 17:51, McCrae said:

You mean the one we got from a Man City- the one who still has connections with that club.

Yeah - that seems to have been a disaster getting him involved.

Whether you like it or not the world is changing - and the World Cup proved that woman’s football  is on an upward curve that is steepening.

That seems to annoy you but I’d just learn to live with it. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
On 17/08/2019 at 02:34, Boab said:

We should all be supporting woman’s football.

Good on the Budge for that.

How many games do you go to and pay your way in?

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

How many games do you go to and pay your way in?

A season ?

Depends. 

Not been following the thread, Geoff. 

Slightly confused !

58 minutes ago, Boab said:

A season ?

Depends. 

Slightly confused !

Seemed a simple question.

Have you ever paid to attend a womenb's football match?

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, Boab said:

A season ?

Depends. 

Slightly confused !

You say we should all support women's football. That's why I'm asking how often you attend.