Ann Budge

Meadows

Heartsofgold

Ann Budge ponied up the money to save my club.  That instantly makes her a legend in my eyes.  

Is she immune from criticism - No, no way.  She's a smart business woman and can handle this.

Has she made some mistakes - yes, yes she has.  She will learn from them for the same reason as above.

We are lucky to have this woman at our helm and long may it continue to be so as far as I'm concerned.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Boab

• davemclaren

• AJAMBO

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

The manager has been fully backed by the board, if the manager fails to deliver this season, the board will take action.

There is no doubt about that

As CL is an executive member of the board do you expect him to act like a turkey and vote for Christmas?

Hearts current Board

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/more/club/board

Edited by 7628mm

I'm happy with the investment in the squad this window, simply cant criticize her of that. She has backed the manager (as the last few have been), so underachievement cannot be tagged with under investment in the squad.

Overall running of the business is good, very rational and very clever to spot any revenue opportunities.

I have three minor gripes-

1. The decision to hold a concert on the pitch which has effectively ruined our £1M pitch.

2. Investment in a woman team. When we are told about keeping the men's squad within our means, how can there be commercial benefit in running a woman's team?  If indeed there there is a future commercial benefit like a youth team then that fine, but is there really any other benefit other than a PR/PC exercise?

3. Trying to make the club appear whiter than white. Anything which would show the club in a unfavorable light and there seems to be a statement for it.  Surely certain matters can be dealt with in house rather than a PR exercise. Football clubs all have rouge elements to their support, but work with the support to remove these rather than putting out a statement which just bring further attention to it.

Perth to Paisley
5 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

As CL is an executive member of the board do you expect him to act like a turkey and vote for Christmas?

There are only 4 Executive directors which, if I am correct, means it gives the Owner CEO the casting vote if the vote is 2/2.

This surely means that AB and CL currently have control of the board and as long as they vote together they cannot be beaten?

I am of course open to correction from members of JKB who know better and can explain why.

Hearts current Board

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/more/club/board

Your arithmetic premise may be correct...but some of us have faith that Mrs Budge will do the best thing for the club regardless of the impact on CL.

Just now, Perth to Paisley said:

Your arithmetic premise may be correct...but some of us have faith that Mrs Budge will do the best thing for the club regardless of the impact on CL.

I think I may be wrong but am unable to edit the post down any more than I have. My mistake 

1 hour ago, Prof said:

Most supporters think they are expert tacticians .AB has been a supporter for a long time and as such will have as much football knowledge as anybody else sitting in the stands.

Are you that Stu.....

Forget it.... :rofl:

9 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

No complaints.  

Shes backed the management team superbly. 

Its up to them now. There’s no grey area.  

We are entering our 5th season back in the big time and we have been awful for over 4 of them which has been a very large "grey area" and as you say there is no (longer) a grey area.

3 hours ago, Meadows said:

She has certainly nailed her colours to the mast as far as signings go this window. 

She has taken flak on occasion but deserves great credit for backing Levein despite the grief ( and performances) .

Anyone else see this window as somewhat monumental? 

She would only back him as far as her budgets allow and it is now down to CL to produce the goods in terms of achieving the targets  she has set for the Footballing Dept.

If these are not achieved then he certainly can't say she hasn't backed him and  he wasn't allowed to sign the players he wanted ( I am assuming here that we have not tried to get some that she has refused) so the onus is now firmly on him and his team.

16 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

Are you that Stu.....

Forget it.... :rofl:

Thinking is not your strong point

36 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Ann Budge ponied up the money to save my club.  That instantly makes her a legend in my eyes.  

Is she immune from criticism - No, no way.  She's a smart business woman and can handle this.

Has she made some mistakes - yes, yes she has.  She will learn from them for the same reason as above.

We are lucky to have this woman at our helm and long may it continue to be so as far as I'm concerned.

This this this this this. Spot on.

Beggers belief that anyone could have a go at her. 

2 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

Correct, & she’s now focusing on the football side of the business now, thankfully.

3 hours ago, Meadows said:

She has certainly nailed her colours to the mast as far as signings go this window. 

She has taken flak on occasion but deserves great credit for backing Levein despite the grief ( and performances) .

She certainly has backed Levein in a last chance saloon effort to get her manager to turn things around.

31 minutes ago, Renoir said:

I'm happy with the investment in the squad this window, simply cant criticize her of that. She has backed the manager (as the last few have been), so underachievement cannot be tagged with under investment in the squad.

Overall running of the business is good, very rational and very clever to spot any revenue opportunities.

1. The decision to hold a concert on the pitch which has effectively ruined our £1M pitch.

2. Investment in a woman team. When we are told about keeping the men's squad within our means, how can there be commercial benefit in running a woman's team?  If indeed there there is a future commercial benefit like a youth team then that fine, but is there really any other benefit other than a PR/PC exercise?

3. Trying to make the club appear whiter than white. Anything which would show the club in a unfavorable light and there seems to be a statement for it.  Surely certain matters can be dealt with in house rather than a PR exercise. Football clubs all have rouge elements to their support, but work with the support to remove these rather than putting out a statement which just bring further attention to it.

1. The pitch is not ruined. See other thread.

2. Woman's football is growing. It will bring new revenue in time. 

3. I think she has done more to highlight antisocial behavior then any other club.  She is working with the fans to remove this element and just invested 100k in CCTV. 

Not only did she save us  but she has excellent contacts in her network who have also helped us with funds for the new stand when we needed them. 

11 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

Problem is, with the one-dimensional thinking on here at times, any criticism is rounded on by some. As the guy up the page said however, she can, and will have to, handle it.

Jambo, Goodbye

For me, and many others,  it's all about the big picture and I think that all the patience that's been required since she began rebuilding our club is about to be rewarded. 

Good/poor squads and managers come and go,  but Heart of Midlothian has never had a foundation as solid as we have now. 

As strong as the auld castle rock!

On paper it’s been a great window but it will only be monumental if/when performances improve.

I think Whelan is just what we need.

Delighted with signing a keeper.

Meshino IF WP granted looks very good on you tube.

Im excited and optimistic BUT.....

Edited by Jamhammer

Perth to Paisley
35 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

3. I think she has done more to highlight antisocial behavior then any other club.  She is working with the fans to remove this element and just invested 100k in CCTV. 

Thanks for saving me the effort of replying!

Can I just add to point 2 the word "inclusivity"

Fraggle Rock
4 hours ago, Meadows said:

Agree 100%, i think and hope that this as a club shows we are stronger than we ever have been. 

The future is Maroon

1 hour ago, Prof said:

Thinking is not your strong point

Righto Prof.

You've cut me to the quick.

😭😭😭

Her latest venture, if you call it a venture is the 1874 bar. 

Its about to get refurbished, with a interior designer coming in next week.

The plan is new soft furnishings, more shelving and seating . To make it more accessible out-with football days / nights. 

Good shout  and more forward thinking. 

Edited by novoman

Phil D. Corners
18 minutes ago, novoman said:

Her latest venture, if you call it a venture is the 1874 bar. 

Its about to get refurbished, with a interior designer coming in next week.

The plan is new soft furnishings, more shelving and seating . To make it more accessible out-with football days / nights. 

Good shout  and more forward thinking. 

You mean she got the design all wrong and forgot to order seating. 😉 :sarcasm:

Good to hear. 👍

Tommy Walker
1 hour ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

For me, and many others,  it's all about the big picture and I think that all the patience that's been required since she began rebuilding our club is about to be rewarded. 

Good/poor squads and managers come and go,  but Heart of Midlothian has never had a foundation as solid as we have now. 

As strong as the auld castle rock!

This

3 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

Ann Budge is the best thing to ever happen at our club.

The job she has done in building the business and growing our reputation overseas shouldn't be underestimated. 

Absolutely this.

New stand.  New pitch.  Profitable.  The lady has been a revelatoin.

Results and performances need to get better, but when was the last time Man Utd were getting in touch with us to see if we need anything?  My glass is edging towards half full again.

2 hours ago, Renoir said:

1. Pitch not ruined

2. Excellent investment benefitting the business as a whole.

3. That's what we should be aiming for

4 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Put it this way, would you rather have Mrs Budge in charge or some vulture like Peruvian Ron/Mike Ashley. In my entire life the club has never been so well run and the rewards are just about starting to show with the quality acquisitions we’ve made this window. As has been said she couldn’t have backed Craig any more so its now fully on him to get his act together and sort it out.

Well said

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, I.T.K said:

I have avoided this place for a bit because I can't be arsed with folk only interested in having a pop at the club so thanks for saving me the trouble responding to that nonsense post.

PS I saw the pitch on Wednesday and it looks fine.

Shanks said no
3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

AB is nothing short of sensational.  Surely she will be on  the Queens Birthday honours list soon.

I was going to make the same point and each time they are announced I look to see what she has received and every time- nothing 

must be holding out for a biggie 

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

2 hours ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Thanks for saving me the effort of replying!

Can I just add to point 2 the word "inclusivity"

Point 2 you could extend to pretty much every pro club will be that way  plus be a condition of football licence eventually.

Edited by DETTY29

5 hours ago, GorgieRules22 said:

She does a great job and we’re lucky to have her.....However her friendship with Craig Levein can be the only reason as to why he’s still on a job.

Not a good situation as football matters at the club have falling off a cliff.

This is gross exaggeration.  Hate you see how you would react if we really in trouble.

itsnomarooned
3 hours ago, Renoir said:

I'm happy with this post but have 3 minor gripes.  Points 1, 2, and 3.

1 hour ago, jambali said:

2. Excellent investment benefitting the business as a whole.

How on earth can you describe this as an excellent investment. There is no chance of any payback within the next 10 years.

GorgieRules22
7 minutes ago, McCrae said:

This is gross exaggeration.  Hate you see how you would react if we really in trouble.

The last time we were in trouble I signed myself and my kids up to the FOH and we’ve been contributing since day one, hope this helps 😉

3 hours ago, Renoir said:

1. We ruined the grass which was a tiny % of the £1m,  we didnt dig up the undersoil and state of the art irrigation/ sprinkler control system.

2. Perhaps our benefactor pumped in millions on the basis of these initiatives of a forward thinking club ?

3. Disagree show it for what it is and be seen to be dealing with it however deal with the away fans in equal measure.

Edited by Jamboelite

10 minutes ago, McCrae said:

How on earth can you describe this as an excellent investment. There is no chance of any payback within the next 10 years.

Perhaps our benefactors have seen this, among many other activities that we do, as a continued reason to invest into Hearts as a forward thinking club ?.

23 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

1. We ruined the grass which was a tiny % of the £1m,  we didnt dig up the undersoil and state of the art irrigation/ sprinkler control system.

2. Perhaps our benefactor pumped in millions on the basis of these initiatives of a forward thinking club ?

3. Disagree show it for what it is and be seen to be dealing with it however deal with the away fans in equal measure.

Or perhaps they are investing despite it - we don’t actually know. 

Glamorgan Jambo
3 hours ago, Lightbulb said:

Not only did she save us  but she has excellent contacts in her network who have also helped us with funds for the new stand when we needed them. 

Absolutely spot on comment. For decades a section of the Edinburgh business community didn't want to have anything to do with the likes of Romanov, Robinson and even Mercer. For differing reasons. 

They've come aboard big time these last five years and are largely happy to stay in the background. 

Totally agree with Meadows. It's now time for the team to start delivering. Hopefully starting later today. 

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Or perhaps they are investing despite it - we don’t actually know. 

The fact is, he’s a massive Hearts fan just interested in the team doing well. I’d be surprised if he’s looking for a return on anything or has interests beyond the welfare of the team.  

3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

The fact is, he’s a massive Hearts fan just interested in the team doing well. I’d be surprised if he’s looking for a return on anything or has interests beyond the welfare of the team.  

He could be anyone. He could be a mad old Nazi for all we know. 

But we cant be making assumptions on their reasons for throwing the cash around. 

As a chairperson, I doubt any manager could ask for more.  Backed him to the hilt and has been, overly, tolerant of underachievement.

The complaints about her, other than a handful of hissyfits over crowd behaviour, are all to do with this tolerance.  I'd argue it's a good trait even while I'd happily see another manager in charge.

1 hour ago, McCrae said:

Maybe they are planning that the club will still be around in 10 years time.  :unsure: 

jack D and coke
6 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Put it this way, would you rather have Mrs Budge in charge or some vulture like Peruvian Ron/Mike Ashley. In my entire life the club has never been so well run and the rewards are just about starting to show with the quality acquisitions we’ve made this window. As has been said she couldn’t have backed Craig any more so its now fully on him to get his act together and sort it out.

Can’t argue with that bud. 

Ann has found the funds on so many occasions it really is Levein who’s letting her down. 

The squad to me looks more than decent. It’s time to start taking the shackles off and stop strangling this team. 

4 hours ago, Boab said:

Problem is, with the one-dimensional thinking on here at times, any criticism is rounded on by some. As the guy up the page said however, she can, and will have to, handle it.

Totally agree. And of course she will make mistakes. But doesn't everyone. 

setting myself up here for a slaughtering but i cant believe this is even a thread.

She's done wonders for this club. Ive got no complaints with Budge. the football yes, but i'd like to think thats been addressed with recent signings. *heres hoping*

44 minutes ago, graygo said:

Maybe they are planning that the club will still be around in 10 years time.  :unsure: 

I am sure they are, but I wouldn’t be surprised if women’s football is never profitable.

It’s not an excellent investment. It should be treated as an expensive gift to a preferred cause.

3 minutes ago, McCrae said:

I am sure they are, but I wouldn’t be surprised if women’s football is never profitable.

It’s not an excellent investment. It should be treated as an expensive gift to a preferred cause.

Pretty sure they would have said the same about men's football back in the day.

Sfa received a 6 figure sum for qualifying for the women's world cup and getting knocked out early doors, there will be money in the years ahead.

Edit: Over £600,000 reported.

Edited by graygo