ITV strike deal to show La Liga 2019/20

CJGJ

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17840569.itv-strike-late-deal-broadcast-la-liga-clashes-live-season/

ITV4 will broadcast La Liga live this season after striking a deal with Spanish league chiefs.

The broadcaster had a deal with La Liga previously which allowed them to show the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid

ITV will continue to air coverage of La Liga matches on terrestrial TV this season starting with Barcelona at Athletic Bilbao on Friday.

The broadcaster took on limited rights to games from February after streaming service Eleven Sports surrendered its exclusive rights deal in December.

ITV screened weekly matches along with a midweek highlights programme until the end of the campaign.

But it was feared that Spanish domestic football had made a short return to UK free-to-air channels after it was revealed that there was no bidder for the rights this term.

But ITV have now announced they will continue their partnership for the 2019/20 campaign - starting with Barca's travel to San Mames.

Matches will air on ITV4, including a weekly highlights show that will also be scheduled on ITV.

Lionel Messi and Co's home fixture against Real Betis on August 25 has also been confirmed for broadcast.

While Real Madrid's trip to Villarreal on September 1 rounds out the opening schedule, which means Premier League fans haven't seen the last of Eden Hazard.

Edited by CJGJ

9 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Well if you had bothered to subscribe to the previous rights holders it might have been different  😜

Spain finding out that despite the big names the interest is really only for a few..when asked to pay directly for a product the audience is not there unless part of a bigger deal such as Sky Sports/BT

10 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

make it like the old days

kabbadikabbadikabbadikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddi

That was a brilliant game

John mcCartney

12 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Well if you had bothered to subscribe to the previous rights holders it might have been different  😜

Im still subscribing to Eleven Sports ,altho its all ended in vain.
Thought they done a good job last season and grim to see all that stop.

7 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

even the Spanish ones?

Fair enough - I'll reword my statement:

Why do folk in this country, with no links whatsoever to Spain, give such a shit about Spanish football?

Very bizarre!

I couldn't ever get excited about a football game that didn't involve either Hearts or Scotland - I even struggle with the latter at times!

14 minutes ago, Tenor said:

Why do folk in this country, with no links whatsoever to Spain, give such a shit about Spanish football?

Very bizarre!

I couldn't ever get excited about a football game that didn't involve either Hearts or Scotland - I even struggle with the latter at times!

As well that as the epl! At least some of the Spanish games are interesting. Us Brits (farking hate that term) love a Spanish holibag dontcha know

Edited by Gav M

31 minutes ago, Tenor said:

Very bizarre!

For me it’s because I can’t get enough football tbqh.

You are allowed to enjoy other football and still support Hearts to the fullest!

1 hour ago, Tenor said:

Very bizarre!

For me I love watching football and Spanish football has for a few years been the best in the world, although England took first place last year.

Hearts and Scotland always first for me too, maybe a bit greedy watching Spanish ....

1 hour ago, Tenor said:

Why do folk in this country give such a shit about Spanish football?

Very bizarre!

Many have had a holiday in Madrid or Barca, felt a connection and taken it from there. Some just love front runners ( see Old Firm).

Kids these days follow players rather than teams eg Neymar. It's not sustainable.

Footballfirst
5 hours ago, Barack said:

Get the Italian fitba' back on Channel 4.

Channel 4 was the first major UK broadcaster to cover other European leagues. They intended to cover Gazza's move to Italy in 1992(?), but were told by the Italian FA that they would have to cover the whole league rather than just Lazio. Channel 4 then asked how much it would cost. The Italian FA hadn't done such a deal before and Channel 4 was offered weekly coverage of games for £1.5m (IIRC) for the whole season. Channel 4 said thanks, we'll take it, and so the live coverage of "foreign" league games began. Interest grew when the first few games covered were high scoring encounters (by Italian standards of the time).

5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Channel 4 was the first major UK broadcaster to cover other European leagues. They intended to cover Gazza's move to Italy in 1992(?), but were told by the Italian FA that they would have to cover the whole league rather than just Lazio. Channel 4 then asked how much it would cost. The Italian FA hadn't done such a deal before and Channel 4 was offered weekly coverage of games for £1.5m (IIRC) for the whole season. Channel 4 said thanks, we'll take it, and so the live coverage of "foreign" league games began. Interest grew when the first few games covered were high scoring encounters (by Italian standards of the time).

I used to enjoy it.   And in James Richardson, they had one of the few very good football presenters.  

9 hours ago, Tenor said:

Very bizarre!

Because they love football and love to watch the best players play it? Why would that be such a bizarre thing?

9 hours ago, Tenor said:

Very bizarre!

Just Hearts and Scotland ?

Jeez, i’d chuck it all together if that was my limits !

Nothing wrong with watching games from other leagues, I always watch the German games on bt because they’re usually exciting games between good quality teams. As long as you’re not cheating on Hearts to do it obviously 

Think some folk think it makes them a bigger Hearts fans if they claim to only watch Hearts games :facepalm: As far as I am concerned I am a football fan - any chance I get to watch Messi, Griezmann, Ronaldo etc I will take. I will also watch something like Killie v Hibs however if its on the telly or Leeds vs Derby etc. I love Champions League weeks and the World Cup and Euros when they come around. If thats bizarre to some people then I find that bizarre myself. 

The Treasurer
8 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Nothing wrong with watching games from other leagues, I always watch the German games on bt because they’re usually exciting games between good quality teams. As long as you’re not cheating on Hearts to do it obviously 

It's good to show interest in the rest of the world of football.

It's those that give up on Scottish football (and even their own club)  to watch "their team" from the EPL or La Liga that is a bit pathetic

The Treasurer
4 minutes ago, Flaps_98 said:

Think some folk think it makes them a bigger Hearts fans if they claim to only watch Hearts games :facepalm: As far as I am concerned I am a football fan - any chance I get to watch Messi, Griezmann, Ronaldo etc I will take. I will also watch something like Killie v Hibs however if its on the telly or Leeds vs Derby etc. I love Champions League weeks and the World Cup and Euros when they come around. If thats bizarre to some people then I find that bizarre myself. 

As I already indicated, it's those that watch these games/teams INSTEAD of Hearts (or any other Scottish team they claim to support) that are bizarre

Just now, The Treasurer said:

It's good to show interest in the rest of the world of football.

It's those that give up on Scottish football (and even their own club)  to watch "their team" from the EPL or La Liga that is a bit pathetic

Oh I fully agree with that, I’ve pals who don’t watch Scottish football at all but watch every Liverpool game on the tele (but they’ve never been to a game), cringe inducing

The Treasurer
7 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Oh I fully agree with that, I’ve pals who don’t watch Scottish football at all but watch every Liverpool game on the tele (but they’ve never been to a game), cringe inducing

You hear it in any work place in Scotland on a Monday morning.

Folk banging on about Man U or Spurs or whoever was on TV over the weekend, but then not even knowing the score from matches in the SPFL

Edited by The Treasurer

1 hour ago, Flaps_98 said:

Correct.

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

You hear it in any work place in Scotland on a Monday morning.

Folk banging on about Man U or Spurs or whoever was on TV over the weekend, but then not even knowing the score from matches in the SPFL

It's certainly annoying but why do you care what others want to watch, just leave them too it.

The Treasurer
22 minutes ago, cheetah said:

It's certainly annoying but why do you care what others want to watch, just leave them too it.

I care because I care about Scottish football.

I'd much rather see youngsters going along to support their local team than sitting in the house "supporting" teams in the EPL.

If that happened a bit more then we just might see our leagues start to improve

3 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I'd much rather see youngsters going along to support their local team than sitting in the house "supporting" teams in the EPL.

Fair enough, i agree about the youngsters though.

21 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

In these days of saturated TV coverage, that would prove pretty difficult. Back in the day, as youngsters, we would roll up to the football of a Saturday but at night, the highlights of the chosen English game was a treat. It seemed a far better world !

Changed days now of course. People regularly head south to watch football. The Premier League, huge beast that it is, only exacerbates this.

Could be a shrewd move by ITV this if they are not paying over the odds - may hurt Sky. But will there be much interest in games not featuring Athletico, Real or Barca?

• 4 months later...
rudi must stay

Not seen a thread on La Liga, not starting a new one. But Barca have today got rid of Valverde and replaced him with Quique Setein. Very interesting choice, takes Barca back to their roots attacking football wide, it is an very interesting and bold choice and one that could put Barca back on the map in Europe 

On 15/08/2019 at 22:19, Mikey1874 said:

ITV's sports coverage is decent. 

Probably be more Gary Lineker... guy needs the money... 

So first 3 games... they will wait to see the viewing figures, if they are good we will see more... 

6 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Not seen a thread on La Liga, not starting a new one. But Barca have today got rid of Valverde and replaced him with Quique Setein. Very interesting choice, takes Barca back to their roots attacking football wide, it is an very interesting and bold choice and one that could put Barca back on the map in Europe 

Was reported Xavi was the new head coach yesterday but have now read he has turned it down so a quick 2nd choice appointment.

On 15/08/2019 at 19:08, Barack said:

Get the Italian fitba' back on Channel 4.

:seething:

Hm, I remember when it was first on - two teams knocking the ball around aimlessly for an absolute age then someone would spring the offside trap (not Inzaghi,,,), it would be 1-0 to whoever and that was it. And smoke bombs. Lots of smoke bombs.

1 minute ago, TheTrumpet said:

Hm, I remember when it was first on - two teams knocking the ball around aimlessly for an absolute age then someone would spring the offside trap (not Inzaghi,,,), it would be 1-0 to whoever and that was it. And smoke bombs. Lots of smoke bombs.

The goals round up show on the Saturday morning was all you needed

35 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Was reported Xavi was the new head coach yesterday but have now read he has turned it down so a quick 2nd choice appointment.

Xavi doesn't trust the current president. When he's voted out then Xavi may move in as he's friends with the favourite for the role.

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

The goals round up show on the Saturday morning was all you needed

Yeah, but if it's a choice of boring football or no football...

Just now, TheTrumpet said:

😂

You need to get out more !

I go to as many Serie A games as I do Hearts these days. I call it multi-tasking, my missus calls it a mid-life crisis. 
Milan derby in three weeks. I’ll miss our 5th round SC game if we get by Airdrie. I’ll survive !

Aimlessly kicking the ball about is what I’ve been watching in Scotland for over 40 years !

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...