Reserves game next week at Oriam

moz

Hearts have dominated the ball but have absolutely no cutting edge and haven't really threatened at all. On the very odd occasion that St Mirren have come forward they've looked more like scoring. 

Need to move the ball quicker. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• the general

• TheBigO

• Mikey1874

The Natural Order
8 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

How fit/sharp does Whelan look?

Hard to tell, hes not been at more than walking pace.

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

FE8A2146-1F45-42AA-976F-529073BBA4F4.jpeg

Walker pretending to be on the pat and mick while working two jobs! 

69' | 2-1 AND ANOTHER! Burns runs down the left and cuts back on the byline to an unmarked McDonald, and the 18=year-old slams home! The Jambos take a deserved lead!

4 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Don't know. I'm only getting score updates from bet365. 

3 minutes ago, dumpson said:

Henderson then McDonald. 

Cheers

For anybody that attends Reserves and U20s matches, how do you assess Andy Kirk as a coach.  Seems to be doing a decent job IMO

Just now, Footballfirst said:

Second half summary

Still woeful until the equaliser, thereafter a bit meh.

How long did Whelan play for, FF?

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, gjcc said:

How did GW look?

He did what I expected him to do .... keep it simple, retain possession and keep the ball moving.

The fact that it was all done a walking pace meant that he played the full 90 minutes without breaking sweat.

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

He did what I expected him to do .... keep it simple, retain possession and keep the ball moving.

The fact that it was all done a walking pace meant that he played the full 90 minutes without breaking sweat.

Ah goodoh, hopefully a good wee session for him.

11 minutes ago, gjcc said:

How did GW look?

Looked a class act with a great first touch, just sat in front of back line always looking for the ball and moving it on. Always talking and giving instructions and encouraging younger players round about him. Far bigger tests ahead for him and only hope he’s still got the legs 👍. Hope I’ve not given him the kiss of death 😂

23 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Second half summary

Harsh 

Footballfirst
12 minutes ago, the general said:

Harsh 

........ but fair.

The whole defence had a shocking first half of misplaced passes, indecision, misjudged headers, tackles, passbacks and misdirected crosses going forward. It was a complete bombscare performance.

The second half didn't improve much, with many of the same issues, albeit done a a slightly increased tempo. Once they went ahead midway through the half with two goals in as many minutes they still didn't play with any cohesion and St Mirren could easily have scored again.

The whole performance was epitomised by Petkov blootering the ball out of play and onto the adjacent pitch from near his own corner flag when barely under pressure. He looked to have no idea what he wanted to do, so just hoofed it out the park.

Edited by Footballfirst

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

........ but fair.

The whole defence had a shocking first half of misplaced passes, indecision, misjudged headers, tackles, passbacks and misdirected crosses going forward. It was a complete bombscare performance.

The second half didn't improve much, with many of the same issues, albeit done a a slightly increased tempo. Once they went ahead with two goals in as many minutes they still didn't play with any cohesion and St Mirren could easily have scored again.

The whole performance was epitomised by Petkov blootering the ball out of play and onto the adjacent pitch from near his own corner flag when barely under pressure. He looked to have no idea what he wanted to do, so just hoofed it out the park.

Ha ha ha well seeing football is all about opinions 

I like Whelan’s style. 

Always probing, looking for a one-two into the more advanced midfielder or forward but knows when to keep it simple too. 

Got back to defend well too. Not lacking the legs. 

Footballfirst
55 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

How did Cochrane look against players his own age and with an experienced ‘minder’ beside him?

Much the same. Runs about a bit to little effect. Still looks for the safe backward pass too often. I think it was Harry who lost possession in the lead up to their goal. Got a yellow card for pulling back a St Mirren player after he lost possession.

Had one decent strike at goal, but that was about it.

Has played much better.

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

Is Keena injured or maybe about to go out on loan? 

He was watching the game. Don't think he is injured. Could be in line for a loan deal, although he has come out and said that he wanted to stay at Hearts,  or he might be in the running for the first team squad for Sunday.

I'm not an apologist for poor performances and this seems to have been one but I think it's harsh to judge any team in August.  They all need time to settle delighted to say that also applies to Celtic.  Great time to get them at parkhead.

Alex Kintner
57 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Much the same. Runs about a bit to little effect. Still looks for the safe backward pass too often. I think it was Harry who lost possession in the lead up to their goal. Got a yellow card for pulling back a St Mirren player after he lost possession.

Had one decent strike at goal, but that was about it.

Has played much better.

Must have read that exact sentence about four or five times in the past 6 weeks 🤔

Forever Hearts
38 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm not an apologist for poor performances and this seems to have been one but I think it's harsh to judge any team in August.  They all need time to settle delighted to say that also applies to Celtic.  Great time to get them at parkhead.

Are you on the right thread? 

Captain Canada
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

He was watching the game. Don't think he is injured. Could be in line for a loan deal, although he has come out and said that he wanted to stay at Hearts,  or he might be in the running for the first team squad for Sunday.

Cool. Cheers FF. I'd like to see him stay rather than go on loan. 

Took the kids through for something to do before school starts back tomorrow - was also my first reserve game in a while. What I took from it...:

Was good to see Whelan in action - he looked slightly slow getting the ball out of his feet at times and to be honest looked his age and maybe even a bit stiff-legged, but he might have just been taking his time on the ball since he wasn't really being closed down. Looked very calm and played 2-3 cracking long passes. Think he will be a very good addition to the team. Heard him encouraging Burns and trying to calm him down too; he seemed panicky and just lacked a bit of composure. Cochrane has got some work to do if he wants back into the first team - I think a loan out would do him a world of good. Didn't feel like I could trust the keeper - he's quite small and doesn't seem to have much of a physical presence. Bozanic seemed a wee yard off the pace rather disappointingly - hopefully just a lack of match fitness. Brandon had a good game. Petkov was a big plus - definite future first team player there. 

Couple of promising looking young lads in the St Mirren side to be fair. The lad they were calling JJ pinged some nice passes about the pitch.

Overall... Good wee run out for some first team players who haven't seen much action recently. Expected the win and got it without too much drama. 

Spotted Levein, Mulraney, Morrison, Hickey, Keena and a few others. 

Will definitely be going back 👍

Edited by mc2607

Clerry Jambo
5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Second half summary

Take a 3-1 meh anytime 

10 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Take a 3-1 meh anytime 

Same here but a Hearts team, the majority of which are looking for first team football this season, should be beating St Mirren’s teenagers without being woeful. 

6 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

........ but fair.

The second half didn't improve much, with many of the same issues, albeit done a a slightly increased tempo. Once they went ahead midway through the half with two goals in as many minutes they still didn't play with any cohesion and St Mirren could easily have scored again.

What a load of negative tosh. Hearts dominated from start to finish and had far too much for a resilient young Saints side. What about the good things that Petkov and the Hearts team did. They completely dominated the game. Whelan had one misplaced pass and controlled the midfield throughout. Have you ever played football? If so you would have seen the movement of the young guys and the chances they created in the second half in particular. I'm sick of guys like you slagging Hearts off!!

RenfrewHearts
58 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Same here but a Hearts team, the majority of which are looking for first team football this season, should be beating St Mirren’s teenagers without being woeful. 

Bit of complacency perhaps, given the opposition? 

Footballfirst
41 minutes ago, Killinman said:

What a load of negative tosh. Hearts dominated from start to finish and had far too much for a resilient young Saints side. What about the good things that Petkov and the Hearts team did. They completely dominated the game. Whelan had one misplaced pass and controlled the midfield throughout. Have you ever played football? If so you would have seen the movement of the young guys and the chances they created in the second half in particular. I'm sick of guys like you slagging Hearts off!!

Whoa! Petkov made two timely challenges in the last 10 minutes of the game. You must have missed him almost falling over the ball after miscontrolling it, or passing it square across his own box straight to the feet of a St Mirren striker, or completely misjudging a long ball forward that went over his head and led to another chance for St Mirren. Getting booked for holding a St Mirren player off the ball, just outside the box, when he might have got onto a cross. 

You must have also missed Brandon's three attempted crosses under no pressure that all went out for a goal kick. Burns similarly with a couple. 

Cochrane, Moore and McDonald all getting caught in possession more than once.

How many saves did the St Mirren keeper have to make? Silva had the best save of the match from a free kick in the second half.

Hearts had a lot of the ball but were poor in possession and created very little.

I'd think that I've probably seen much more of these guys play than you have, so I'd suggest that "slagging" them, as you describe it, when they perform to a standard away below what they are capable of is not unreasonable.  I'd also suggest that if you are sick of guys like me then you should ignore my posts.

7 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Whoa! Petkov made two timely challenges in the last 10 minutes of the game. You must have missed him almost falling over the ball after miscontrolling it, or passing it square across his own box straight to the feet of a St Mirren striker, or completely misjudging a long ball forward that went over his head and led to another chance for St Mirren. Getting booked for holding a St Mirren player off the ball, just outside the box, when he might have got onto a cross. 

You must have also missed Brandon's three attempted crosses under no pressure that all went out for a goal kick. Burns similarly with a couple. 

Cochrane, Moore and McDonald all getting caught in possession more than once.

How many saves did the St Mirren keeper have to make? Silva had the best save of the match from a free kick in the second half.

Hearts had a lot of the ball but were poor in possession and created very little.

I'd think that I've probably seen much more of these guys play than you have, so I'd suggest that "slagging" them, as you describe it, when they perform to a standard away below what they are capable of is not unreasonable.  I'd also suggest that if you are sick of guys like me then you should ignore my posts.

Doubt you have seen as much of the under 20 and reserve teams as I have since I retired three years ago. I watch all the games at the Ori am and have seen a fair few away games too including Albion Rovers and Cowdenbeath this season. I've seen a lot of these guys and a few that were ditched such as Harry Paton. I agree that crossing was poor yesterday but the goals were well worked. Apart from the Saints goal the defence was never troubled.Some of the team yesterday won't make it and there are questions marks against Brandon and Burns for example and indeed Cochrane but even if it wasn't a great performance there were flashes of what Mcdonald, Henderson Moore and Smith can do.

20 minutes ago, Killinman said:

Doubt you have seen as much of the under 20 and reserve teams as I have since I retired three years ago. 

Oh he has. 

Have you not seen his posts before? Virtually all FF posts about is the Hearts Academy/Youth teams etc.

Well that and the ongoing Sevco/Rangers court cases etc.

:lol:

Dalstonjambo
1 hour ago, Killinman said:

Doubt you have seen as much of the under 20 and reserve teams as I have since I retired three years ago. I watch all the games at the Ori am and have seen a fair few away games too including Albion Rovers and Cowdenbeath this season. I've seen a lot of these guys and a few that were ditched such as Harry Paton. I agree that crossing was poor yesterday but the goals were well worked. Apart from the Saints goal the defence was never troubled.Some of the team yesterday won't make it and there are questions marks against Brandon and Burns for example and indeed Cochrane but even if it wasn't a great performance there were flashes of what Mcdonald, Henderson Moore and Smith can do.

FF is one of the best posters on this board, and seems to be a constant attendee at all levels. He's also fair, honest and objective. Not sure him offering an honest opinion is something that should be described as 'negative tosh'.