Independence: The first debate on the new board!

dannyprecious

Dunk-Section G
No Monarch taking the biggest dole cheque in the history of dole cheques, sorry, appearance money....:rolleyes:

We would still have the monarch if we were independent.

Higher Taxes

Jobs on the line

Death of the union

Defence in chaos

Thats what independence will bring us!

I think that the 3rd of your points is fairly obvious, though a grouping of former UK countries would surely happen. The union is a process after all.

As for your other points it is possible that taxes could go down (so long as the size of the public sector was reduced), employment go up and maybe defence spending could more closely match what the Scottish people want rather than waging war after war overseas.

It is not necessarily the case that the current tax and spend consensus in Scottish politics would travel into an independent Scotland.

Higher Taxes

Jobs on the line

Death of the union

Defence in chaos

Utter nonsense. Look at today's announcement from Westminster that CGT has been raised costing small businesses an extra ?700m. Brown is a tax fiend, getting independence from him will SAVE us money.

Death of the Union fine, but it's far younger than Scotland is anyway.

Defence in chaos? I take it you are talking about now? Army with no equipment, soldiers dying in a "War on Oil" due to shortages, middle ranking officers resigning in droves with no replacements, cuts in defence spending and a Defence Secretary who is also the part-time Scottish Secretary.

Bad enough right now if you ask me.

Scotland has wealth, energy from wind, wave farms, whisky exports, oil / gas in it's territorial waters and much more.

Scotland would do fine on it's own and it would benefit England / Wales / N.Ireland too as I'm doubtful Brown, Darling and the rest of the eejits would be in power as Scots in Westminster with Scotland independent.

Bring it on.

There was an interesting piece on Newsnight Scotland a couple of nights ago basically saying that all the parties are agreed that the Scottish Parliament should be given more powers.

The Nats have their "National Conversation, while the three main Unionist parties all met in London with their cabinet/shadow cabinet counterparts to discuss the way forward.

Main point of this is that the status quo isn't wanted, devolution/the Scottish Parliament is accepted, and there is a concensus to make things better.

What I hope the Unionist parties discussed was the progress of devolution throughout the rest of the UK. Until England, Wales and N.Ireland have the same format of Government that Scotland has then there will always be a section moaning about lack of parity. The Union can exist and continue to do so stronger IF devolution is equitable and universal throughout the constituent parts of the Union.

FREEDOM before the Union dies!

The UK is slip slidding away. The big 2 issues on the news today:

Too many old peeps

Too many imagrants

We cant do much about old people except turn Balmoral into a $71t hot eldery home! However we can certainly sort the imagration issue a hell of a lot better than the UK - not that, that would be hard!

The UK is old tired and past it. If India can get independace why cant we?!

Higher Taxes

Jobs on the line

Death of the union

Defence in chaos

We'd All blame Robbie Neilson!! :ninja:

We would still have the monarch if we were independent.

As far as I was aware the union of the crowns would pretty much be negated by any move to independance. We would essentially become a Republic. Or have I misread the SNP plans for independance?

Dunk-Section G
As far as I was aware the union of the crowns would pretty much be negated by any move to independance. We would essentially become a Republic. Or have I misread the SNP plans for independance?

SNP would maitain the Queen as head of state. It states so in their white paper.

There would remain a cultural and social union with the rest of the UK too.

Yes, you have.

The Queen would still be the de facto head of state, unless the independence agreement created a republic.

HMtQ is head of state in Canada, Australia & NZ iirc.

FREEDOM before the Union dies!

The UK is slip slidding away. The big 2 issues on the news today:

Too many old peeps

Too many imagrants

We cant do much about old people except turn Balmoral into a $71t hot eldery home! However we can certainly sort the imagration issue a hell of a lot better than the UK - not that, that would be hard!

The UK is old tired and past it. If India can get independace why cant we?!

Poor spelling and grammer are the two biggest issues confronting society today. (imho of course)

:P

What I hope the Unionist parties discussed was the progress of devolution throughout the rest of the UK. Until England, Wales and N.Ireland have the same format of Government that Scotland has then there will always be a section moaning about lack of parity. The Union can exist and continue to do so stronger IF devolution is equitable and universal throughout the constituent parts of the Union.

IMHO, one of the main reasons that independence will occur is that the English will have had enough of being the only country in the Union which does not have it's own 'government'. I've noticed increased opposition down here to being run by Scots both through individual leaders and the West Lothian question.

If England begins to believe it would be better without Scotland, many of the barriers to independence will disappear.

IMHO, one of the main reasons that independence will occur is that the English will have had enough of being the only country in the Union which does not have it's own 'government'. I've noticed increased opposition down here to being run by Scots both through individual leaders and the West Lothian question.

If England begins to believe it would be better without Scotland, many of the barriers to independence will disappear.

But by giving the English, Welsh and N Irish their own parliament a la Holyrood we can keep the collective benefits of the Union (defence, overall strategic planning (LOL) of the economy, border control etc etc) without giving any one the excuse to go it alone.

But you do make a very, very valid point re the perception of Scots in Englandshire.

Poor spelling and grammer are the two biggest issues confronting society today. (imho of course)

I disagree.

Poor spelling of grammar is the biggest issue confronting society today.

:movethatass:

I disagree.

Poor spelling of grammar is the biggest issue confronting society today.

:movethatass:

Bums. Chunky fingers and small keyboards is a more pressing issue I would say.

Expect it to be on Question Time tonight!

Curses! I can't edit my original post!!!

Craig Herbertson

We were independent for a long time and sold out by the rich. As a member of the ECC we wouldn't starve.

Its like divorce from an abusive partner. It looks scary but the whole world opens up when you do it and you never look back.

There is so much talent in Scotland who wants to be a dependant no matter how comfortable it looks.

To clarify the Monarchy situation.

Yes, the Queen would remain head of state until the Scottish public decided otherwise. However, with the monarch being far less popular here than down south - I don't think we'd that long to get rid of her.

It would still save us a lot of money though, as we would only have to pay for her state visits. None of the other pish.

But by giving the English, Welsh and N Irish their own parliament a la Holyrood we can keep the collective benefits of the Union (defence, overall strategic planning (LOL) of the economy, border control etc etc) without giving any one the excuse to go it alone.

I agree with all of that, infact it may be the perfect way for the country to go.

But I don't believe that England will gain it's own parliament. At least not as part of the Union.

If the argument could be made that Scotland is a drain on the English resources then it may well be easier to disolve the Union and use Westminster as is (functioning as the English Parliament). This would be in preference to building a new English Parliament and using Westminster as a combined government for the Union (or vice versa).

hiltsthejamboking

haha you just spelt grammar wrong!!

OWNed!!!!

abandon england, they're gonnae be right wing tory barstewards as per the Thatcher era , we have nothing in common with them regarding social concience

As I see it, there must be a pretty damn good reason why the English don't want Scotland to become independent, as the politicians down south seem very scared of the prospect, organising clandestine meetings and the like to arrange more powers for Scotland to pacify the electorate.

Wonder what their reasons are?

hiltsthejamboking
abandon england, they're gonnae be right wing tory barstewards as per the Thatcher era , we have nothing in common with them regarding social concience

what are you talking about, Margret Thatcher was one of the greatest prime ministers this country has ever had!

Dusk_Till_Dawn
what are you talking about, Margret Thatcher was one of the greatest prime ministers this country has ever had!

Die Kan of Wurms ist geoefnet

Archived