Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• JamboAl

• iainmac

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, kila said:

Typical lazy, pish article with no context. Just an opinion, presumably, comparing football to when he used to be involved at the top level.

If Hearts have too many coaches, give us context. What are similar SPFL clubs like? How many now have a 'loans manager'?

It is an opinion piece.  I don't really agree with him often, but he is asked to give his opinion each week - and that's what he has given.

5 hours ago, Section Q said:

Don't always agree with Gary Mackay but...

"Another thing that continues to baffle me is the number of backroom staff we continue to employ. From the outside looking in, it looks like we have a bloated staff, full of coaches who don’t seem to be making us any better as a football team, and we have now employed a loans manager even though we only have three young players currently out on loan. No disrespect intended to Gary Naysmith, a dyed-in-the-wool Jambo whom I have huge respect for, but is this really a justifiable use of the club’s resources at a time when the fans are ploughing so much of their own cash in? The Foundation of Hearts really need to be asking questions about what is going on at the football club just now because right now everyone who is pledging their hard-earned money is entitled to wonder if it is being put to the best possible use."

Spot on AGAIN Gary!

29 minutes ago, Jodami said:

You obviously know I think it's time for change but the only chance Levein has of saving his job is getting on the training pitch with his coaches, who are inexperienced when it comes down to it, every single day to communicate what he wants and how we are going to play. Everything else needs to go on the back burner. 

I don’t disagree. I would expect the manager to be a control freak and pretty hands on. I can only go on what I’ve heard and not what I know when it comes to how things are done here and how it is delegated.

Apparently CL & AM do mostly tactics and analysis and LF & JD do most of the general training. I don’t know if it’s as simple as that or if that is even correct. 

Tactics and how we play on the ball are of course not the same thing. Build up play is mainly something worked on in training on how we should always play no matter the shape.

Tactics is more, strategy, distances, shape etc.. Which I’d imagine is separated from build up play in training sessions. I don’t know who plans the training sessions or how they are organised. Whether we analyse our next opposition on say the Sunday or Monday and training sessions are planned out according to how we will setup for that game. 🤷‍♂️

Obviously CL being DoF also means he does other stuff as well. I don’t know if that’s normal at most clubs or not? I know Pep Guardiola for example is very hands on, but each manager has their own way of doing things. Either way, I don’t know enough about what we do.

Apparently all the youth teams play in this “principles of play” which was something CL & others created. I believe the first team do not play the same way. That may be something that changes now that we have brought in better players.

4 hours ago, Hercules said:

If anyone is entitled to an opinion it’s someone who has the record appearances for Hearts. The Levein foamers on here saying he’s shit stirring and he’s crawled from under a rock are delusional if they think Mackay doesn’t know what goes on behind the scenes. Random posters on here manage to preempt signings ok. You think a Hearts legend doesn’t know the score ?  It’s time to open your eyes Fanboys. It’s about the club, not your hero. 

He is entitled to an opinion and his service cannot be denied.  However, that does not make his opinion right or wrong.  He is on the outside looking in.

If one takes the 1966 World Cup winning team as an example, only one made a reasonable fist of management, Jack Charlton.  His brother, who I believe went on to hold the record number of appearances for his country, was a dismal failure and others were no better.

So length of service and the quality of experience should not automatically, on its own, be taken as a sign that their opinion is correct or better than someone else who doesn't have these credentials.

The piece should be judged solely on its merits.

1 hour ago, Coco said:

Hopefully the review of the disorganised football department will look at all aspects.  

Structures, personnel, performance, returns on investment (particularly player and coach recruitment and the £4m spend on the academy).

Unfortunately it is hard to see anyone at the club carrying out this review effectively.  Who would do it?

Based on AB's statement it would appear to be her.

I would imagine the principals would be the same as the Business one she set up.

She quoted a five year plan and showed the main objectives and if they had been achieved.

On the footballing side other than the setting up of the Women's Team and getting more out of the Academy there seems to have been little else in the way of objectives other than finishing in the top six and getting to the latter stages of the cups.

I would imagine once she gets in there and looks at who does what and who reports to who etc then we will see a new set of hopefully more challenging objectives for the Footballing Dept.

I don't think it is any coincidence that she is doing this on the final year of CL's current contract and prior to the transfer of the majority shareholding to FOH.

BarneyBattles44

Gary Mackay. I've known Gary since I played School boy football. He was constantly questioning  everything Hearts related.Followed the Hearts sides he played in. He and many other's trained using the basics and played for the club when we were in the poor house as did Craig Levein. They are both Hearts men. Gary annoyed and still annoys us with his moaning. He wants Hearts to use resources and assets to their potential. Gary is just being Gary and he won't stop as he's never changed.

48 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

He is entitled to an opinion and his service cannot be denied.  However, that does not make his opinion right or wrong.  He is on the outside looking in.

If one takes the 1966 World Cup winning team as an example, only one made a reasonable fist of management, Jack Charlton.  His brother, who I believe went on to hold the record number of appearances for his country, was a dismal failure and others were no better.

So length of service and the quality of experience should not automatically, on its own, be taken as a sign that their opinion is correct or better than someone else who doesn't have these credentials.

His opinion should be listened to out of respect regardless. Mackay has the club at heart first and foremost. Not sure I can say the same about Levein. The rift was borne from the pieman protests. Mackay telling supporters not to buy season tickets as Robinson was obviously taking the club to the brink. Levein said Mackay was taking the wages from young players pockets which was nonsense. Mackay’s a Hearts man. If you read the full article, he makes perfect sense. 

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I don't think so, he deliberately times his pieces. 

The paper times his pieces. Every week after a Hearts game during the season. 

Every. Week! 

BarneyBattles44
4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I understand that but I think it's right that ultimately they report to the DoF or there is no point in having one.

Octoman would lose concentration lacking the extra arms to cover CL .How one man has so much control five years after the Romanov era is an unanswered question. Delegated to the staff. Most answers will be legend romantic tinted glasses version he scraped up the crap got us on the way up installed his blueprint in our academy etc. Surely he's done 2 of the non football tasks seeing an academy was already there supported by a £5M Romanov investment. Ann says he's not a business mind. So why is he so powerful. Ann has been successful in delivering her side of plan CL is still work in progress and rules the roost. 

Edited by BarneyBattles44

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Every. Week! 

More the content and the timing. The timing had to be now, he was only appointed last week. 

Why not, so thing like-

After a review of the football dept, as she said she would do Hearts have now appointed a loans manager. 

Fans will be concerned with on the field performances, however with a new gk this week after last week's Damour signing things are moving ahead on that front. 

The loans manager job role is a puzzling one, but an interesting one... Blah blah. 

Nah, He just pours fuel on the fire. His whole article is negative. 

A standard grade school pupil could easily dissect it as such. 

Dallas Green
1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Spot on AGAIN Gary!

Explain how he is spot on?

He is wrong about a bloated coaching staff.

He is wrong about FOH funds.

siegementality
6 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Unless I'm missing something we have the manager, assistant manager, and 4 coaches (one of them a fitness coach and one a goalkeeping coach). That seems reasonable to me? It's not like we've got dozens of guys shouting at a confused bunch of players. 

No, but we do have a confused bunch of players.

51 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

More the content and the timing. The timing had to be now, he was only appointed last week. 

Why not, so thing like-

After a review of the football dept, as she said she would do Hearts have now appointed a loans manager. 

Fans will be concerned with on the field performances, however with a new gk this week after last week's Damour signing things are moving ahead on that front. 

The loans manager job role is a puzzling one, but an interesting one... Blah blah. 

Nah, He just pours fuel on the fire. His whole article is negative. 

A standard grade school pupil could easily dissect it as such. 

Do you seriously think GM just dreams up an article and the paper just print it?

The sports editor will be giving him guidelines as to the sort of content he/she wants and during  quiet spells when there is nothing much going on other than the actual games then the content will just be a summary of how we have played and how we may be able to improve or otherwise etc.

At this time of year where the transfer window is still open and there is movement of staff as well as players then those things are topical and will be wanted by the paper to be included.

Newspapers like a bit of controversy as it helps to get people to read them and lets face it newspapers as we know them are dying a death.

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Genuine question here.

Hearts have said he’ll be a loans manager but do you think a guy with 48 caps and who managed a team in the championship last year will not at any point help out on the training  pitch, even if it’s with the academy boys? Do you believe Hearts will have rigid parameters for his job role and each side will adhere to it or do you think every now and then they will utilise the experience that he brings?

I’m not having a go  at you btw or knocking Hearts if they did as it’s a great opportunity for everyone but I do think it might be naive to think he won’t do any coaching whilst he’s around. 

Maybe he will be coaching the loan players as part of his remit, having watched their games he will surely either help them or pass on his thoughts to the relevant coach in charge of their age group.

Pasquale for King

If he had questioned what the coaches actually do as opposed to saying there’s too many he might have a point. Don’t forget John Murray went against Lockes wishes and appointed Neilson to be reserve team coach ahead of Mackay, as it’s been proved a lot of that age group hold grudges against folk.

1 hour ago, Hercules said:

His opinion should be listened to out of respect regardless. Mackay has the club at heart first and foremost. Not sure I can say the same about Levein. The rift was borne from the pieman protests. Mackay telling supporters not to buy season tickets as Robinson was obviously taking the club to the brink. Levein said Mackay was taking the wages from young players pockets which was nonsense. Mackay’s a Hearts man. If you read the full article, he makes perfect sense. 

I thought I made that perfectly clear.

I did not say GM does not have the club at heart.

I did not mention whether Levein has the club at heart or not.

I did not mention the rift or the reasons for it.

I did not mention Levein saying GM had taken wages from young players' pockets

I did not say the article did not make sense.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

If he had questioned what the coaches actually do as opposed to saying there’s too many he might have a point. Don’t forget John Murray went against Lockes wishes and appointed Neilson to be reserve team coach ahead of Mackay, as it’s been proved a lot of that age group hold grudges against folk.

All our yesterdays.

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, iainmac said:

Every. Week! 

Seems a few folk are struggling to understand the concept of a weekly newspaper column

9 hours ago, Section Q said:

"Another thing that continues to baffle me is the number of backroom staff we continue to employ. From the outside looking in, it looks like we have a bloated staff, full of coaches who don’t seem to be making us any better as a football team, and we have now employed a loans manager even though we only have three young players currently out on loan. No disrespect intended to Gary Naysmith, a dyed-in-the-wool Jambo whom I have huge respect for, but is this really a justifiable use of the club’s resources at a time when the fans are ploughing so much of their own cash in? The Foundation of Hearts really need to be asking questions about what is going on at the football club just now because right now everyone who is pledging their hard-earned money is entitled to wonder if it is being put to the best possible use."

I wonder if Gary looks around at other clubs, set ups, coaching staffs and modern football in general or is he comparing coaches now to when he was a player and just having a moan because we have had a poor start to the season. 

By contrast look at Hearts staff against Man City. Are all these guys relevant? Pep would say yes.

https://trainingground.guru/staff-profiles/manchester-city-staff-profiles

Gary Naysmiths role will grow over time and prove vital to development of those long term in the academy, bridging the gap between youth and adult football, something that we struggle with in this country. 

Fair enough question the quality of coaching from Daly or Fox but I'd say it's pretty ignorant to discount the roles of the coaches and naysmith entirely because of some poor form. 

1 hour ago, Dallas Green said:

Explain how he is spot on?

He is wrong about a bloated coaching staff.

He is wrong about FOH funds.

In YOUR opinion

Dallas Green

In YOUR opinion

If you bothered to read anything in this thread you will see we have a very average amount of coaching staff. If you think that is bloated, you know nothing about football.

Also, the FOH part isn't an opinion, it's a fact he is wrong. You would know that if you knew how FOH worked.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Do you seriously think GM just dreams up an article and the paper just print it?

The sports editor will be giving him guidelines as to the sort of content he/she wants and during  quiet spells when there is nothing much going on other than the actual games then the content will just be a summary of how we have played and how we may be able to improve or otherwise etc.

At this time of year where the transfer window is still open and there is movement of staff as well as players then those things are topical and will be wanted by the paper to be included.

Newspapers like a bit of controversy as it helps to get people to read them and lets face it newspapers as we know them are dying a death.

That was my original point. He's just creating controversy. 

Well done him. 

Bazzas right boot

In YOUR opinion

Nope. 

Average coaching staff for a pro club. 

FOH funds go to pay Ann. 

FACTOIDS. 👍

7 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Mackay is as bad as Mikey Stewart, he doesn’t ask questions to create debate, he does these pieces to create drama and criticise. 

Seems to me that some in here won’t accept any criticism of the current Hearts set up. The real question is do we listen to a Hearts legend or some of the slavering so called Jambos who react badly to anyone pointing out our set up is not right. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Prof said:

Seems to me that some in here won’t accept any criticism of the current Hearts set up. The real question is do we listen to a Hearts legend or some of the slavering so called Jambos who react badly to anyone pointing out our set up is not right. 

Ann knows the set up isn't right, she's reviewed it and this is her first change (publicly known) . 

Folk that work on amateur football have confirmed our coaching numbers are average. 

Not sure what in the set up is out of the ordinary or not correct and why it's news worthy. 

Therefor the criticism could and imo should  be questioned - why it was given in the first place. 

Some might say no other reason than to antigonise and I'm unsure why a legend would do that? 

21 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Some might say no other reason than to antigonise and I'm unsure why a legend would do that? 

Possibly because CL is in charge and he is famous for taking grudges against certain ex players. Mackay is someone who loves the club and like many is fed up watching the train wreck that CL is causing.

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, Prof said:

Possibly because CL is in charge and he is famous for taking grudges against certain ex players. Mackay is someone who loves the club and like many is fed up watching the train wreck that CL is causing.

Maybe, but comments are nothing to do with what you are saying. 

If he can't differentiate between us getting a loans manager and cl/ the first team then he's being an idiot. 

Loans manager has f all to do CL and our coach numbers are average so he's talking pish in this case. 

11 hours ago, Section Q said:

Can't really argue with anything Gary says, there is definite question marks over what the hell the coaching staff have been doing all this time, one thing is certain, IF there is a change in manager they would all follow out the door. 

Remind me again of Gary Mackay's managerial record.

Great club servant, dyed-in-the wool PHM but rants and raves a wee bit too much at times without offering any solutions.

The archetypal armchair manager.

Maybe like some of us he can't believe how utter pish we are, so he's trying to find possible reasons why CL and his coaches are failing miserably on the pitch. Maybe because it's totally unbelievable that any manager could make such a dogs dinner of trying to get a team to play football.

6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Alan Ball did ok 

6 hours ago, Hercules said:

He talks nonsense in the article. Full of errors

why should we listen to him just because he played a lot of games for us? Are you suggesting every club should be listening to their highest appearance players? Levein is every bit a Hearts man as Mackay I suspect. 

4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Didn’t know that re Murray. 

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Didn’t know that re Murray. 

I think Locke could see the writing on the wall, Neilson and Crawford used to be on the bench talking tactics (Partick when we got relegated for instance).

17 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He talks nonsense in the article. Full of errors

why should we listen to him just because he played a lot of games for us? Are you suggesting every club should be listening to their highest appearance players? Levein is every bit a Hearts man as Mackay I suspect. 

His opinion holds more weight than anyone’s on here surely ? If any club is in as much of a state as we are, then yes, they should listen to club legends. 

12 hours ago, combo74 said:

There are far too many people (fans included) sticking the boot into Hearts at the moment from positions of ignorance...in reality none of us really know in any detail what the coaching set up/structure is like from the top down, what each individuals role is, what they contribute or what is required to run/coach a club of our size...but hey, lets just rip it all up and get rid of them all because the first team isn't performing well! It's madness...

Yes, the first team is performing poorly and questions should be asked (I'm in the Levein's time us up camp; having defended him for a long time);  however we can't just start ripping everything up and starting over again every time the first team has a blip.

We have a large first team squad, a colts/U21 team, an U18 team and teams right down through the age groups, players on loan and a first class academy to run; I'd suggest that needs a lot of people and ideally ones that have a lot of football experience and who know what Hearts are all about. I'm assuming Mackay is talking about Levein, McPhee, Daly, Fox & Gallagher (First Team/GK), Kirk (U21), Rankin (Youth?) and Naysmith (Loans)...that hardly feels 'overloaded'.

I think you have nailed it, my friend. Most of us know very little about the background stuff. For what it's worth, look at how many coaches an American football team has, even college or high school teams.

5 hours ago, jambo19 said:

I wonder if Gary looks around at other clubs, set ups, coaching staffs and modern football in general or is he comparing coaches now to when he was a player and just having a moan because we have had a poor start to the season. 

By contrast look at Hearts staff against Man City. Are all these guys relevant? Pep would say yes.

https://trainingground.guru/staff-profiles/manchester-city-staff-profiles

Gary Naysmiths role will grow over time and prove vital to development of those long term in the academy, bridging the gap between youth and adult football, something that we struggle with in this country. 

Fair enough question the quality of coaching from Daly or Fox but I'd say it's pretty ignorant to discount the roles of the coaches and naysmith entirely because of some poor form. 

Gardiola beat West Ham 5-0 away from home and we were lucky we weren't hammered by a club from Dingwall.

fabienleclerq
2 hours ago, TDF01 said:

No....he’s telling it how it is.

And what's that then? How many coaches should we have? 

20 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Ftfy.

Which is exactly his brief from the EEN. 

Are some people being deliberately obtuse because it's Gary Mackay? 

Makes you wonder! 

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Gardiola beat West Ham 5-0 away from home and we were lucky we weren't hammered by a club from Dingwall.

So my last point , it's not the structure it's the quality of coaching. Reducing the number of first team staff won't impact results. Improving the quality will. Many first team staff have multiple coaches so the structure works all across Europe and in the tops leagues