They don't know what they're doing.....

Section Q

Don't always agree with Gary Mackay but...

"Another thing that continues to baffle me is the number of backroom staff we continue to employ. From the outside looking in, it looks like we have a bloated staff, full of coaches who don’t seem to be making us any better as a football team, and we have now employed a loans manager even though we only have three young players currently out on loan. No disrespect intended to Gary Naysmith, a dyed-in-the-wool Jambo whom I have huge respect for, but is this really a justifiable use of the club’s resources at a time when the fans are ploughing so much of their own cash in? The Foundation of Hearts really need to be asking questions about what is going on at the football club just now because right now everyone who is pledging their hard-earned money is entitled to wonder if it is being put to the best possible use."

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• JamboAl

• iainmac

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gary Mackay, putting the current situation on a plate for all to see. Does make me wonder why so many would rather sweep it under the carpet, or prefer not to discuss it though. 

:Shoosh:

Pretty sure at the close of the window we'll have more than 3 players out on loan.

Does seem a strange way to spend money though. 

1 minute ago, cosanostra said:

Pretty sure at the close of the window we'll have more than 3 players out on loan.

Does seem a strange way to spend money though. 

A current fad that other clubs have as well. 

Not like him to put the boot in is it ?

whilst I do question the coaching , the Naysmith  position is one which many clubs have and I’d say probably well worthwhile 

Edited by 1971fozzy

The Internet

Do we actually have loads of coaches? What's the normal amount of coaches to have at a club of our level? 

2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Do we actually have loads of coaches? What's the normal amount of coaches to have at a club of our level? 

We do, one would be plenty, as long as he was any good, that's the problem,

TOO MANY COACHES, and none of them seem to know what their doin.

Sierra Delta
3 minutes ago, rmreido said:

“One would be plenty”

🤨

4 minutes ago, rmreido said:

One would not be enough rather than being plenty. How many coaches do we have compared to other similar sized clubs?

hearts related nickname

We're investing heavily into the academy, of which a huge part will be putting young players out on loan to gain experience.  Makes sense to have someone to control and assess that aspect of the academy, no?   I'd suggest no one on here or Gary know the full remit of the job. Perhaps we found that we couldn't collect enough information on the development of youngsters on loan and needed to address it. Perhaps we need to stop sticking the boot in at every opportunity. 

Agree with what Gary has said.

Like Michael Stewart he has Craig Levein issues but unlike Stewart he has shown restraint and has avoided making it personal. Perhaps not always the case but certainly now. 

He's absolutely spot on about the boot room boys. Lots of them but contributing little. 

Just now, martoon said:

Agree with what Gary has said.

Like Michael Stewart he has Craig Levein issues but unlike Stewart he has shown restraint and has avoided making it personal. Perhaps not always the case but certainly now. 

He's absolutely spot on about the boot room boys. Lots of them but contributing little. 

How many is lots?

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

How many is lots?

Too many. Particularly as our first team looks anything but coached when the game starts. 

Would not include Andy Kirk, though. Seems to be doing a fine job with the u21's. 

2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Too many. Particularly as our first team looks anything but coached when the game starts. 

Would not include Andy Kirk, though. Seems to be doing a fine job with the u21's. 

So you don’t know how many we have but do know we have too many?

The Internet
10 minutes ago, rmreido said:

Unless I'm missing something we have the manager, assistant manager, and 4 coaches (one of them a fitness coach and one a goalkeeping coach). That seems reasonable to me? It's not like we've got dozens of guys shouting at a confused bunch of players. 

8 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Gary crawling out from under his rock to sling shite from a slighting different angle.

He has a column every week in the EEN. 

Keep up! 😎 

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Unless I'm missing something we have the manager, assistant manager, and 4 coaches (one of them a fitness coach and one a goalkeeping coach). That seems reasonable to me? It's not like we've got dozens of guys shouting at a confused bunch of players. 

I thought I was missing something as well? I think you’re right that’s all we have? Doesn’t seem unreasonable to me??

29 minutes ago, Section Q said:

"...and we have now employed a loans manager even though we only have three young players currently out on loan."

Read this and discounted the rest of his view as this is clearly such complete nonsense. We won't have only 3 players on loan by the end of the transfer window. How many were on loan last season, a dozen? I'd ask how many ex-pros with analysis no more insightful than the average message board contributor can continue to be employed in the Scottish media, because it seems to be endless.

13 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

This is the right question and one that no one has answered, certainly not Mackay. I suspect that part of the reason we are aware of lots of our coaches is we use a lot of ex-players. How many of those complaining about the number of coaches can actually name the coaches we employ who aren't ex-players, or the total number of coaches we employ, or even correctly name the roles undertaken by each of the ex-players that we currently employ.

6 minutes ago, rmreido said:

One coach for the first team, reserves, youth team and various academy teams? Are you Mike Ashely, because that is some impressive cost savings. I imagine you'll tell me you are just talking about the first team but the ex-players Mackay is talking about aren't just working with the first team.

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

So you don’t know how many we have but do know we have too many?

I do know. But it's too many considering how effective they are. If our team was a well drilled unit then the amount of coaches we had would be fine. Regardless of their number.

The point is that we have Levein and a bench full of coaches but we're still shite. 

2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

But are they coaching them properly????

What do they do between matches????

Not a lot, by the looks of it.

5 minutes ago, iainmac said:

He has a column every week in the EEN. 

Keep up! 😎 

I wouldn’t know, I don’t buy newspapers.😒

1 minute ago, rmreido said:

That’s not what’s being argued though, we apparently have too many coaches. However we don’t.

The quality of the coaching staff is up for debate the number isn’t an issue.

Just now, Texia said:

That’s not what’s being argued though, we apparently have too many coaches. However we don’t.

The quality of the coaching staff is up for debate the number isn’t an issue.

I'm not sure we gave too many coaches / other staff  but we do seem to have too many who report to the same guy. 

Source : AB 

The Internet
9 minutes ago, rmreido said:

Pretty sure they're trying. Fact is the quantity of coaches isn't really an issue and is just another way for clueless arseholes in the media to take cheap shots and folk will lap it up cos we're not doing well on the pitch so everything is fair game. Dull as. 

49 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Gary Mackay stirring shit shocker. 

Anyone who questions Queen Anne is a troublemaker apparently.    Wow.   

Typical lazy, pish article with no context. Just an opinion, presumably, comparing football to when he used to be involved at the top level.

If Hearts have too many coaches, give us context. What are similar SPFL clubs like? How many now have a 'loans manager'?

There are far too many people (fans included) sticking the boot into Hearts at the moment from positions of ignorance...in reality none of us really know in any detail what the coaching set up/structure is like from the top down, what each individuals role is, what they contribute or what is required to run/coach a club of our size...but hey, lets just rip it all up and get rid of them all because the first team isn't performing well! It's madness...

Yes, the first team is performing poorly and questions should be asked (I'm in the Levein's time us up camp; having defended him for a long time);  however we can't just start ripping everything up and starting over again every time the first team has a blip.

We have a large first team squad, a colts/U21 team, an U18 team and teams right down through the age groups, players on loan and a first class academy to run; I'd suggest that needs a lot of people and ideally ones that have a lot of football experience and who know what Hearts are all about. I'm assuming Mackay is talking about Levein, McPhee, Daly, Fox & Gallagher (First Team/GK), Kirk (U21), Rankin (Youth?) and Naysmith (Loans)...that hardly feels 'overloaded'.

6 minutes ago, ScoPo said:

Anyone who questions Queen Anne is a troublemaker apparently.    Wow.   

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, Queen Anne’s been deid for over 300 years.

49 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Not like him to put the boot in is it ?

whilst I do question the coaching , the Naysmith  position is one which many clubs have and I’d say probably well worthwhile 

Definitely with you on the Naysmith role. It was interesting watching him talk about what it would involve and how he would monitor/develop the young players development in a sense. Nothing wrong with this at all 

coaching piece, fully agree 

It's like folk are trying to look at it in too much detail. The manager isn't good enough, that's the problem so it has a knock on effect on everyone.

48 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Might just be my ingnorance but I have to say I had never heard of a loan coach/manager before Naismith got the job.

Common down south.

39 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Gary crawling out from under his rock to sling shite from a slighting different angle.

If people want to be precious on here about what CL contributed as a player and want him to be treated like the ‘legend’ that he is, Mackay deserves the same respect. 

Was never my favourite player but came through the ranks and is a PHM.

While I don’t like him, question marks have to be raised against what the coaches, in particular Daly and Fox, actually do with the players

21 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Pretty sure they're trying. Fact is the quantity of coaches isn't really an issue and is just another way for clueless arseholes in the media to take cheap shots and folk will lap it up cos we're not doing well on the pitch so everything is fair game. Dull as. 

We're not doing well on the pitch, isn't that a gross understatement??

If anyone is entitled to an opinion it’s someone who has the record appearances for Hearts. The Levein foamers on here saying he’s shit stirring and he’s crawled from under a rock are delusional if they think Mackay doesn’t know what goes on behind the scenes. Random posters on here manage to preempt signings ok. You think a Hearts legend doesn’t know the score ?  It’s time to open your eyes Fanboys. It’s about the club, not your hero. 

14 minutes ago, kila said:

Typical lazy, pish article with no context. Just an opinion, presumably, comparing football to when he used to be involved at the top level.

If Hearts have too many coaches, give us context. What are similar SPFL clubs like? How many now have a 'loans manager'?

Just an opinion. 

First team-

• Coach. Austin MacPhee.
  • Manager. Craig Levein.
  • Coach. Jon Daly.
  • Coach. Liam Fox.
  • Coach. Paul Gallacher.
  • Coach. Tom Taylor

Reserves-

Andy Kirk

John Rankin

56 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Might just be my ingnorance but I have to say I had never heard of a loan coach/manager before Naismith got the job.

We already had one. Gary’s taking over from a guy called Ian Miller if I’m not mistaken. 

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Don't always agree with Gary Mackay but...

"Another thing that continues to baffle me is the number of backroom staff we continue to employ. From the outside looking in, it looks like we have a bloated staff, full of coaches who don’t seem to be making us any better as a football team, and we have now employed a loans manager even though we only have three young players currently out on loan. No disrespect intended to Gary Naysmith, a dyed-in-the-wool Jambo whom I have huge respect for, but is this really a justifiable use of the club’s resources at a time when the fans are ploughing so much of their own cash in? The Foundation of Hearts really need to be asking questions about what is going on at the football club just now because right now everyone who is pledging their hard-earned money is entitled to wonder if it is being put to the best possible use."

Yes, but fails to mention that Naismith role is part-time and that by end of the month there’s likely to be nearer a dozen out on loan. Mackay, Stewart and Levein locked in a room. I’d love to see it. Only one would walk out. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Hmm, you’ll be lucky if he’s on £30k per annum.. hardly breaking the bank

He is part-time in the role