Global warming

Hairdryer

chuck berrys hairline

Don't buy into this global warming shite when hardly anyone in the west is actually "burning" anything.  Read today that it's starting to rain plastic particles on the ice caps 🤭. It'll blow over soon much like McDonalds and their non recyclable paper straws 🤣

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Internet

• Francis Albert

• Jambo-Jimbo

• H2

1 hour ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Don't buy into this global warming shite when hardly anyone in the west is actually "burning" anything.  Read today that it's starting to rain plastic particles on the ice caps 🤭. It'll blow over soon much like McDonalds and their non recyclable paper straws 🤣

:notsure:

13 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

EB9yNu_W4AMAUFa?format=jpg&name=small

Seems mad how much abuse this kid has to take from cynical old folk. 

My favourite response so far.

6 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer was at it last night too.

Not what most people want to hear but looking at the planet’s whole lifespan as a 24 hour day, humans appeared at two seconds to midday and, if we’re around in another 10,000 years, will disappear at one second after midday.

The planet will survive, we won’t but not for a long time yet. Even a couple of thousand years......meh !!

Edited by Boab

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer was at it last night too.

Aye, she's one that goes on about the parenting and not being at school.

Well quite frankly, her parents and schooling hasn't half shaped one odious individual.

• 1 month later...
Francis Albert

May have missed it but not seen a mention on here about Thunberg's speech to the UN yesterday. And had to search a long way to find anything on the existential threat of climate change compared to trivia like Brexit and the demise of an airline which is surely good news for the planet. I thought from.what I saw Thunburg's  speech was somewhat ridiculous and probably counterproductive - I was moved from initial scepticism about climate change by sober arguments by experts who had done more than extravagantly emote.

Francis Albert
On 15/08/2019 at 12:12, Boab said:

Not what most people want to hear but looking at the planet’s whole lifespan as a 24 hour day, humans appeared at two seconds to midday and, if we’re around in another 10,000 years, will disappear at one second after midday.

The planet will survive, we won’t but not for a long time yet. Even a couple of thousand years......meh !!

Sorry misread

Edited by Francis Albert

21 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

May have missed it but not seen a mention on here about Thunberg's speech to the UN yesterday. And had to search a long way to find anything on the existential threat of climate change compared to trivia like Brexit and the demise of an airline which is surely good news for the planet. I thought from.what I saw Thunburg's  speech was somewhat ridiculous and probably counterproductive - I was moved from initial scepticism about climate change by sober arguments by experts who had done more than extravagantly emote.

That's surprising.

Seymour M Hersh
On 15/08/2019 at 06:51, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It's not just old folks but that was a pretty vile post by Banks. However there is hypocrisy that surrounds her as to get the boat back to Europe the flew a replacement crew to New York. That and she looked like the little girl she is having a tantrum at the UN yesterday. 

I hate how hypocrisy is the thing folk focus on with this stuff. Literally everyone who claims to care about the environment in any way is probably a hypocrite. Doesn't invalidate any of the points. 

dobmisterdobster
14 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I hate how hypocrisy is the thing folk focus on with this stuff. Literally everyone who claims to care about the environment in any way is probably a hypocrite. Doesn't invalidate any of the points. 

They are demanding millions of people reduce their standard of living while refusing to do so themselves.

It completely invalidates their arguments and makes them look pathetic.

dobmisterdobster
32 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It's not just old folks but that was a pretty vile post by Banks. However there is hypocrisy that surrounds her as to get the boat back to Europe the flew a replacement crew to New York. That and she looked like the little girl she is having a tantrum at the UN yesterday. 

That's exactly what she is and its not her fault, she should be in school.

The fact that her handlers flew out to New York proves this yacht is nothing but a PR stunt.

I would love if we could have a grownup discussion about climate change and pollution but we are never going to get that.

Governor Tarkin
28 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I hate how hypocrisy is the thing folk focus on with this stuff.

It's a comfort blanket for selfish arseholes. 

10 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

They are demanding millions of people reduce their standard of living while refusing to do so themselves.

It completely invalidates their arguments and makes them look pathetic.

Many people are taking steps to reduce their carbon footprint, it's nowhere near enough obviously and I'm definitely not saying I'm any better than anyone but our standard of living right now isn't sustainable. 'They' are mainly targeting big industries and world leaders to force change.

1 minute ago, dobmisterdobster said:

That's exactly what she is and its not her fault, she should be in school.

The fact that her handlers flew out to New York proves this yacht is nothing but a PR stunt.

I would love if we could have a grownup discussion about climate change and pollution but we are never going to get that.

Well scientists have been trying that for years without any results and it's taken a ****ing David Attenbrough tv show and a 16 year old acting up for folk to start taking notice. 

dobmisterdobster
27 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Well scientists have been trying that for years without any results and it's taken a ****ing David Attenbrough tv show and a 16 year old acting up for folk to start taking notice. 

Are people taking notice in the right way?

Environmentalism has become another anticapitalist movement which alienates a lot of people who will dismiss it.

Heard one commentator mention something last Friday when all the school kids were demonstrating and it's something which I agree he had a point.

He said that we (adults) need to be careful in our use of language because he's witnessed 7, 8, 9 yr olds who are convinced that the World is about to end and are absolutely petrified, god only knows what effect all of this is having on their mental health he added.

Less than an hour later, the Sky News reporter reporting live from central London, mentioned that she'd just spoken to an 8 year old girl whom had burst into floods of tears because she's convinced that she's going to die soon because the World is about to end.

dobmisterdobster
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Heard one commentator mention something last Friday when all the school kids were demonstrating and it's something which I agree he had a point.

He said that we (adults) need to be careful in our use of language because he's witnessed 7, 8, 9 yr olds who are convinced that the World is about to end and are absolutely petrified, god only knows what effect all of this is having on their mental health he added.

Less than an hour later, the Sky News reporter reporting live from central London, mentioned that she'd just spoken to an 8 year old girl whom had burst into floods of tears because she's convinced that she's going to die soon because the World is about to end.

It's child abuse plain and simple. I will not let this cult anywhere near my daughter.

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I was on site at a private school on Friday and the kids were being dropped off in 4 litre range rovers and other big cars before assembly then off to the climate protests. 

22 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I was on site at a private school on Friday and the kids were being dropped off in 4 litre range rovers and other big cars before assembly then off to the climate protests. 

Do you mean that the kids were dropped off, then they went to protests? Or that the parents went to protests?

36 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

It's child abuse plain and simple. I will not let this cult anywhere near my daughter.

Of course not. You want to brainwash her with your selfish reactionary anti-science flat earth drivel, right?

Nothing could better sum up the incredible state of humanity in 2019 that when an extraordinarily brave, brilliant young woman tells the truth about what we are facing, she is abused and attacked and her supporters are accused of "child abuse" - by all those who have committed child abuse for decades: ignoring the science, ignoring the facts, all so they can continue their selfish way of ease and ensure that our children and grandchildren have no future.

11 years left to save humanity. And counting. "What did you do to stop climate change, Daddy?" "I attacked those protesting about it. Sorry sweetheart: you're on your own".

Edited by shaun.lawson

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Of course not. You want to brainwash her with your selfish reactionary anti-science flat earth drivel, right?

Nothing could better sum up the incredible state of humanity in 2019 that when an extraordinarily brave, brilliant young woman tells the truth about what we are facing, she is abused and attacked and her supporters are accused of "child abuse" - by all those who have committed child abuse for decades: ignoring the science, ignoring the facts, all so they can continue their selfish way of ease and ensure that our children and grandchildren have no future.

11 years left to save humanity. And counting. "What did you do to stop climate change, Daddy?" "I attacked those protesting about it. Sorry sweetheart: you're on your own".

Shawn, you have a weakness for hyperbole. We may have eleven years or somewhat less or somewhat more to save much of the world's human population from climate related disasters of one sort or another but the extinction of humanity isn't going to happen even in the lifetime of the youngest protesters or their children or grandchildren despite a disturbingly large (and as has been said) psychologically damaging belief by a large percentage of youngsters that it will. "Anti-science" is not confined to the diminishing band of climate change deniers. My generation grew up with a more real and imminent threat to human existence ... in fact it may well remain a bigger threat to the survival of our species than climate change to this day.

Edited by Francis Albert

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

the extinction of humanity isn't going to happen even in the lifetime of the youngest protesters or their children or grandchildren

100% wrong. Scarily wrong. Unbelievably wrong.

Last year, the Trump administration - that's the Trump administration! - sneaked through an acknowledgement that we're on track for temperatures to rise by 4 degrees by 2100. 4 degrees by 2100 = we're all ****ed. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/trump-administration-sees-a-7-degree-rise-in-global-temperatures-by-2100/2018/09/27/b9c6fada-bb45-11e8-bdc0-90f81cc58c5d_story.html

I'm guessing you probably didn't see that reported much in the UK. Lack of reporting of the actual reality is why we're in this situation. Trump's attitude? "We're ****ed, so let's carry on burning everything and making money". Which, quite rightly, is precisely what so disgusts Greta Thunberg.

My generation grew up with a more real and imminent threat to human existence ... in fact it may well remain a bigger threat to the survival of our species than climate change to this day.

It doesn't. Our obsession with terrorism and nuclear weapons while ignoring something which is going to wipe us all out sums us up. We're pathetic. We destroy almost all other species; and we destroy ourselves. As Ri says, we're a virus. 

But young people aren't a virus. Young people were brought into this world only to be confronted by ignorant, selfish arseholes who could not give a shit about anything other than money. Above, someone was complaining about the extinction rebellion being "anti-capitalist". Well duh. Capitalism has caused this; anything which demands infinite growth based on resource extraction is bound to do so.

And here's the thing. Scientists figured out what was happening in the 1960s. The nineteen sixties. What did we do? **** all. Too much money to be made, you see. Too many people to exploit and screw over so the rich could get richer. And here we are now: with the beneficiaries of that disgusting system having so lost touch with any remaining humanity that they slag off those trying to do something about it. Incredible. But oh so instructive.

Edited by shaun.lawson

9 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

How ironic, but that seems to be the theme these days.

Listening to the planes taking off this morning, certainly dont seem to get any quietner.:sad:.

Francis Albert
9 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Last year, the Trump administration - that's the Trump administration! - sneaked through an acknowledgement that we're on track for temperatures to rise by 4 degrees by 2100. 4 degrees by 2100 = we're all ****ed. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/trump-administration-sees-a-7-degree-rise-in-global-temperatures-by-2100/2018/09/27/b9c6fada-bb45-11e8-bdc0-90f81cc58c5d_story.html

I'm guessing you probably didn't see that reported much in the UK. Lack of reporting of the actual reality is why we're in this situation. Trump's attitude? "We're ****ed, so let's carry on burning everything and making money". Which, quite rightly, is precisely what so disgusts Greta Thunberg.

It doesn't. Our obsession with terrorism and nuclear weapons while ignoring something which is going to wipe us all out sums us up. We're pathetic. We destroy almost all other species; and we destroy ourselves. As Ri says, we're a virus. 

But young people aren't a virus. Young people were brought into this world only to be confronted by ignorant, selfish arseholes who could not give a shit about anything other than money. Above, someone was complaining about the extinction rebellion being "anti-capitalist". Well duh. Capitalism has caused this; anything which demands infinite growth based on resource extraction is bound to do so.

And here's the thing. Scientists figured out what was happening in the 1960s. The nineteen sixties. What did we do? **** all. Too much money to be made, you see. Too many people to exploit and screw over so the rich could get richer. And here we are now: with the beneficiaries of that disgusting system having so lost touch with any remaining humanity that they slag off those trying to do something about it. Incredible. But oh so instructive.

I don't see anything in your link that supports your assertion that humanity will become extinct soon - in say the next century or two. Hundreds of millions possibly billions dead (to be brutal and coldly scientific about it, arguably not the worst thing that could happen to the planet) but extinction of the human race? I just don't see that sort of unscientific hyperbole is helpful. I doubt if scientists were greatly impressed by Thunberg's teenage temper tantrum, and the globe trotting media star Attenborough despite the UK hype actually got a pretty lukewarm reception from the experts at the recent climate change conference.

But then nothing can be discussed these days without over the top emotion and verbal incontinence. Brexit is "national suicide, a tragedy, calamitous" because it will result in a slight slowing of GDP growth.

The first bit of click bait I saw when I turned on the net today was about viewers "seething" about something or other that happened on Great British Bake Off last night. If people can seethe about a baking show then I guess there is no limit ...

Edited by Francis Albert

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I don't see anything in your link that supports your assertion that humanity will become extinct soon - in say the next century or two. Hundreds of millions possibly billions dead (to be brutal and coldly scientific about it, arguably not the worst thing that could happen to the planet) but extinction of the human race? I just don't see that sort of unscientific hyperbole is helpful. I doubt if scientists were greatly impressed by Thunberg's teenage temper tantrum, and the globe trotting media star Attenborough despite the UK hype actually got a pretty lukewarm reception from the experts at the recent climate change conference.

But then nothing can be discussed these days without over the top emotion and verbal incontinence. Brexit is "national suicide, a tragedy, calamitous" because it will result in a slight slowing of GDP growth.

The first bit of click bait I saw when I turned on the net today was about viewers "seething" about something or other that happened on Great British Bake Off last night. If people can seethe about a baking show then I guess there is no limit ...

Absolutely this.

Humans are far too numerous. The planet will be far better off when human numbers are reduced.

On 15/08/2019 at 08:12, Boab said:

I like your analogy, but you've over-estimated the time humans have been on the planet.  We showed up at about 2 minutes to MIDNIGHT, not midday.

Time_Clock.gif?fit=620%2C587&ssl=1

13 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Well said.

Homo sapiens is the most murderous species to ever emerge from the animal kingdom. We've been so busy driving other species to extinction, while plundering the planet of it's natural resources, that we're blind to the fact that we're heading to extinction ourselves.

And it might be too late. There's evidence to suggest that we have already passed the tipping point.

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Well said.

Homo sapiens is the most murderous species to ever emerge from the animal kingdom. We've been so busy driving other species to extinction, while plundering the planet of it's natural resources, that we're blind to the fact that we're heading to extinction ourselves.

And it might be too late. There's evidence to suggest that we have already passed the tipping point.

We’re way past imo. We’d have to stop doing everything now and all signs point to huge increases in pollution, dumping, population etc over the next 20 years. 
We need to face it, were done for it’s just a matter of time how long until the shit hits the fan. 

luckyBatistuta
15 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Well said.

16 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

We’re way past imo. We’d have to stop doing everything now and all signs point to huge increases in pollution, dumping, population etc over the next 20 years. 
We need to face it, were done for it’s just a matter of time how long until the shit hits the fan. 

Totally agree, we are fecked and hardly anybody seems to give a shit. The world is driven by greed and will never change.

5636F5CE-14DE-4267-A409-1CF6812DDA7F.jpeg

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Totally agree, we are fecked and hardly anybody seems to give a shit. The world is driven by greed and will never change.

5636F5CE-14DE-4267-A409-1CF6812DDA7F.jpeg

It’s crazy. We’re raggying the planet to within an inch of our own very existence and still we overfish and dump our shit and threaten to go to war etc etc and all people do is try mock a wee lassie to make themselves feel better. 
The thing is what can we actually do now? Is it even possible to stop what is invariably hurtling down the track? I don’t actually think we can tbh. 

All we need to do is take all cars off the road, ground all planes, stop all meat production and deforestation. If we do all that worldwide yesterday we might have made a half decent start. 

2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I like your analogy, but you've over-estimated the time humans have been on the planet.  We showed up at about 2 minutes to MIDNIGHT, not midday.

Time_Clock.gif?fit=620%2C587&ssl=1

Not if you are talking about the entire life of the planet. When we shuffle off, the earth will survive for as long as it’s been in existence. We are about halfway through it’s lifespan according to estimates of the sun’s life.

Hence the midday !

👍

luckyBatistuta
Just now, jack D and coke said:

It’s crazy. We’re raggying the planet to within an inch of our own very existence and still we overfish and dump our shit and threaten to go to war etc etc and all people do is try mock a wee lassie to make themselves feel better. 
The thing is what can we actually do now? Is it even possible to stop what is invariably hurtling down the track? I don’t actually think we can tbh. 

Turned the television on this morning and the first thing I heard was the criticism of her by Piers Morgan. Folk just burying their heads in the sand, pretending to themselves that it will never happen...it’s already happening. A world war (not nuclear) would be its only chance now sadly.

dobmisterdobster
13 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

All we need to do is take all cars off the road, ground all planes, stop all meat production and deforestation. If we do all that worldwide yesterday we might have made a half decent start. 

Ain't happening chief. Sorry.

1 minute ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Well I know that :lol: None of that will happen until it's physically forced. But that's the unrealistic level of action required to have the first hope of repairing the damage humans have done.

luckyBatistuta
16 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Christ, we are fecked. I’m about to jump into the car to go out for my dinner, which will probably no doubt be a steak. Also got my flights sorted this afternoon for my upcoming holidays. Don’t buy the ‘Sun’ any more though, it’s a start🙄

8 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Yip. Aircraft emissions will increase 70% in the next 30 years. 

It ain’t happening right enough !

13 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Christ, we are fecked. I’m about to jump into the car to go out for my dinner, which will probably no doubt be a steak. Also got my flights sorted this afternoon for my upcoming holidays. Don’t buy the ‘Sun’ any more though, it’s a start🙄

Careful now, don't want to SLAMMED as a HYPOCRITE do you? 

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Careful now, don't want to SLAMMED as a HYPOCRITE do you? 

Aye😞

edit: And that’s before I climb in my black cab tomorrow and drive around and around and around.

Think I need to stfu🤐😞

Edited by luckyBatistuta

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

You think we as a society have mental health problems now, with that ^^^ folks will be topping themselves in droves and not just in nice ways.  It's got to be done in a way that allows newer generations to adapt.  Unfortunately time is probably against us.

All roads lead to Gorgie
42 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

4 degrees warmer? Would make winter almost bearable. 

:biggrin:

On a serious note it wouldn't be bearable having to wade through four foot of water every time you went outdoors. Scotland is bad enough as it stands ☺️

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

:biggrin:

On a serious note it wouldn't be bearable having to wade through four foot of water every time you went outdoors. Scotland is bad enough as it stands ☺️

He’s up in the highlands he’ll be awright :lol: 

All roads lead to Gorgie
15 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

He’s up in the highlands he’ll be awright :lol: 

Make that 8ft of water up there 😉