Harry Cochrane

Romulus

Talented lad used too much too early. 

The body needs time to grow, Bones need to harden. You can't send a 16 year old kid into war against hardened men and expect them to come through unscathed.

We all want these kids to do well and it is brilliant to see the academy making progress but there is a reason we have always had an U21s level. It's not just about them being good enough it's about being physically and mentally developed enough to handle playing the game.

I want to see a hearts team packed with home grown talent but I don't agree with playing kids under the age of 18. I don't think it is good for their long term careers.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• TheBigO

• soonbe110

• Flaps_98

upgotheheads

Having watched good young prospects fail to 'train on', as they say in the racing world, over more than 50 years I think it's best if those of us not in the know just stop speculating.

He's still only 18 or thereabouts. Leave him alone.

Finlay James

Harry will be just fine.  He has bags of talent, just needs to get his head down and listen.

52 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

A loan for a season would be the best for the lad.

I think your right, a dose of reality down the lower leagues but playing every week might just be the kick up the backside he needs as their is no doubt he has talent.

Reading some of the comments and everyone has a different opinion. Pre-season games McDonald been the stand out, Cochrane looked a yard off the pace. That could be down to lack of games,  difficult to play a game, miss 3 or 4 then get 20mins then thrown in and expected to run the show.

Both Cochrane and McDonald have stalled due to lack of games and a constant stream of average players coming in. We should have started building a team with them playing a huge part, 20+ games last year and then this year they would be ready. 

The only game we have performed this year was against Cowdenbeath and the man pulling the strings was McDonald, now he is playing reserves and Henderson on the bench on Saturday.  On Saturday when Naismith went off McDonald would have been perfect.

Same when new signing tired, Harry could have come in. Both of them when they get the ball want to go forward and willing to take risks.

Michael Stewart said as much in the record, all the new players from lower leagues are just blocking a path to 1st team for our academy boys and its a joke. 

A loan isnt alwsys a good move especially if its to lower league teams.  This toughen them up rubbish is dinosaur talk, they have shown they can handle the top games, away to Celtic,Hibs,Rangers,Aberdeen so why does playing for Forfar or Clyde make them better, it doesnt and it doesn't develop them either.

Have faith in them, did when they were needed and yet again they are needed...

Cochrane's development has stalled. He's not the first player to get into the first team, think he's made it and thinks he's done enough. He's very young, i'm not quite sure he's even ready for a loan deal. Maybe at 19 or 20 once he matures and his body is ready to kick on. Being pushed and bullied at this stage won't help. He needs to be playing under 21. But it's also in his own interests to knuckle down if he wants a career in football and have ambition. If he slacks off then he'll just end up another statistic of a Hearts player who could've had it all but blew it and could easily end up heading down the leagues like most of the others we've brought through in recent years. It's up to him and no-one else to get himself in the right frame of mind. That goes for the rest of the younger players including McDonald and Hickey.

3 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Cochrane's development has stalled. He's not the first player to get into the first team, think he's made it and thinks he's done enough. He's very young, i'm not quite sure he's even ready for a loan deal. Maybe at 19 or 20 once he matures and his body is ready to kick on. Being pushed and bullied at this stage won't help. He needs to be playing under 21. But it's also in his own interests to knuckle down if he wants a career in football and have ambition. If he slacks off then he'll just end up another statistic of a Hearts player who could've had it all but blew it and could easily end up heading down the leagues like most of the others we've brought through in recent years. It's up to him and no-one else to get himself in the right frame of mind. That goes for the rest of the younger players including McDonald and Hickey.

So many of these kids burst into the team then disappear for a bit. Hopefully we will see him on the pitch again soon! 

Ernie Eskilsson
3 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

He is simply not as good as people have said he is.  He is absolutely not the answer to our current issues. 

That’s speculation because he hasn’t yet had the chance, likewise McDonald, Smith and Irving. Levein prefers to sign new journeymen midfielders at every window. He has failed to develop the youngsters and lacks the courage to give them a chance. There’s no way they could be worse than what we’re watching and it’s possible they’d become much better.

3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Needs to grow up, apply himself and behave, is what I have heard (second hand as well) 

That sounds familiar 👍🏻

4 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Injuries have severely hampered his progress, especially physically. Needs to bulk up a fair bit to get to where they want him to be. A loan move would maybe be best for him.

Get him paired up with Uche in the gym. Uche could spot for him and give him a few lessons on his lifting technique. Uche could be promoted to weights room manager and we can then get a real strike partner in for CW. 

Alex Kintner
38 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Get him paired up with Uche in the gym. Uche could spot for him and give him a few lessons on his lifting technique. Uche could be promoted to weights room manager and we can then get a real strike partner in for CW. 

It’s not about doing weights. At his age weight-lifting can do more harm than good. It’s more about diet and lifestyle when off duty combined with developing core strength in the gym. 

Have seen him play in games v Arbroath, Glenavon and Albion Rovers this season. Cost first goal in Ireland by poor control and played big part in Rovers getting a penalty, by losing possession trying to force play. Among those errors was some nice football but his frustration with himself is clearly evident. IMO he could do with a transfer to a team where he can enjoy playing and build his confidence back. That should be Gary Naismith's remit. He is certainly nowhere near deserving of a first team start at present.

7 minutes ago, Big Moysey said:

Have seen him play in games v Arbroath, Glenavon and Albion Rovers this season. Cost first goal in Ireland by poor control and played big part in Rovers getting a penalty, by losing possession trying to force play. Among those errors was some nice football but his frustration with himself is clearly evident. IMO he could do with a transfer to a team where he can enjoy playing and build his confidence back. That should be Gary Naismith's remit. He is certainly nowhere near deserving of a first team start at present.

Should be loaned out.Not likely to get any first team playing this season.

letsalldothebeattie

I’m beginning to worry for wee Harry. I get he’s had some injury problems over past 18 months or so but something has to be going on that we don’t know as to why he can’t get game time in the middle of the park for us, especially given how poor our midfield is and has been

15 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Should be loaned out.Not likely to get any first team playing this season.

Yeah, sorry transfer should have been loan transfer. Don't see an edit facility anymore.

Fell out with Levein big time last season and has been slowly trying to prise himself off the naughty step. 🙄

Plus a succession of injuries have hampered him. 

Brighton Jambo
13 hours ago, Ernie Eskilsson said:

That’s speculation because he hasn’t yet had the chance, likewise McDonald, Smith and Irving. Levein prefers to sign new journeymen midfielders at every window. He has failed to develop the youngsters and lacks the courage to give them a chance. There’s no way they could be worse than what we’re watching and it’s possible they’d become much better.

You are letting your anti Levein bias cloud your judgement.  How can you say he isn’t giving kids a chance when Irving and Hickey have started games this season as has McDonald albeit it in the league cup.  If journeyman midfielders are keeping Cochrane out the team it isn’t because Levein won’t play him it’s because he isn’t good enough to get in the team and clearly isn’t performing well enough in training to convince Levein otherwise.  Levein has a lot to be blamed for but the overhyping of cochrane and the fact he has gone backwards is not one them.

Said at the start of preseason.  We need to forget we've seen Harry play before.  Take away all expectation.

Let's treat him as an 18 yearold kid trying to make a breakthrough that he truly is.  The season before last has little bearing now,  All you can expect is the odd appearance here and there and maybe if he gets a chance, he grabs it.  But if he doesn't hopefully he still benefits and it does him good for next season or the next even.

Time well on his side.

A loan probably wouldn't be the worst thing, especially if we bring in Whelan or another midfielder.  I'd hope it was maybe a decent Champ team, or maybe even a lower prem team if we thought he'd play. (not Hibs though).  Guess that's Gary Naysmith's job to work out the right fit for him if the club decide a loan is required.

None of that means he or any other 16-18 yearold can't play every week and take the league by storm, it just means that shouldn't be the bar.

Ernie Eskilsson
2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

You are letting your anti Levein bias cloud your judgement.  How can you say he isn’t giving kids a chance when Irving and Hickey have started games this season as has McDonald albeit it in the league cup.  If journeyman midfielders are keeping Cochrane out the team it isn’t because Levein won’t play him it’s because he isn’t good enough to get in the team and clearly isn’t performing well enough in training to convince Levein otherwise.  Levein has a lot to be blamed for but the overhyping of cochrane and the fact he has gone backwards is not one them.

You’re speculating about Cochrane and anyway my point is not specifically about him it’s about all the youngsters. They’re thrown in as a last resort then discarded just as quickly. Hickey and Connor Smith at end of last season due to no alternative. Ditto Irving before we signed Damour. Keena in and out. Henderson appears from nowhere. My point is there is no development plan for them. Levein (who I like btw, I just don’t rate him as a coach) will fill the team with journeymen and our best crop of youngsters for ages will be ruined.

10 minutes ago, Ernie Eskilsson said:

You’re speculating about Cochrane and anyway my point is not specifically about him it’s about all the youngsters. They’re thrown in as a last resort then discarded just as quickly. Hickey and Connor Smith at end of last season due to no alternative. Ditto Irving before we signed Damour. Keena in and out. Henderson appears from nowhere. My point is there is no development plan for them. Levein (who I like btw, I just don’t rate him as a coach) will fill the team with journeymen and our best crop of youngsters for ages will be ruined.

I'm not sure that's true, even in the slightest to be honest.  We needed guys like Bozanic and Lee last season cos the kids we too young and just not ready.  This year, we've brought in quality and the kids are now getting to an age where it's earn your place.

I want a team who are 11 academy graduates, that's the dream.  But that can only happen if those 11 are better than players we can afford to sign.

All of the players you quote are very young and properly have time on their hands.  If they each get 10 games or so this season, that won't be bad for them.  If they get more, brilliant, it means they've done well.

And as it goes, for all the planning in the world, a huge chunk of youngsters get their first chance due to injuries to senior players or unplanned gaps in squads.  Look at Marcus Rashford.  It's about taking the chance.  Harry had that chance at age 16, and did superbly, but only, in truth, with consideration to his age.

Hickey wasn't hung out to dry - Levein had other options for the cup final but chose to trust the kid, and he paid him back in spades.  He won't be cast aside.  He may have a period where it's best for him to step away and work on things and come back.  I look forward to your snotters at such time as that happens.

29 minutes ago, Ernie Eskilsson said:

Yet , according to some , we will/have ruined them by playing them too early !

Its a mystery

6 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Levein did quite a bit of “overhyping” last season! He said Harry was the best midfielder at the Club and was desperate to get him back from injury!

• 1 month later...

Disappointed to see Harry has been on the bench for the Pars the last 3 games and had minimal game time. Surely the whole purpose of loaning him there was to get more minutes on the park. Assume young Anthony must be injured?

"I spoke to the gaffer here before I came. The main thing for me was coming to a team that actually tries to play football." 😮

Quotes in the paper this morning.

Finlay James
On 13/08/2019 at 13:57, TheBigO said:

I'm not sure that's true, even in the slightest to be honest.  We needed guys like Bozanic and Lee last season cos the kids we too young and just not ready.  This year, we've brought in quality and the kids are now getting to an age where it's earn your place.

I want a team who are 11 academy graduates, that's the dream.  But that can only happen if those 11 are better than players we can afford to sign.

All of the players you quote are very young and properly have time on their hands.  If they each get 10 games or so this season, that won't be bad for them.  If they get more, brilliant, it means they've done well.

And as it goes, for all the planning in the world, a huge chunk of youngsters get their first chance due to injuries to senior players or unplanned gaps in squads.  Look at Marcus Rashford.  It's about taking the chance.  Harry had that chance at age 16, and did superbly, but only, in truth, with consideration to his age.

Hickey wasn't hung out to dry - Levein had other options for the cup final but chose to trust the kid, and he paid him back in spades.  He won't be cast aside.  He may have a period where it's best for him to step away and work on things and come back.  I look forward to your snotters at such time as that happens.

Very good post

26 minutes ago, Flaps_98 said:

"I spoke to the gaffer here before I came. The main thing for me was coming to a team that actually tries to play football." 😮

I took that as a dig at other championship clubs than at Hearts. 

EasternRossco
35 minutes ago, Flaps_98 said:

Come on now, that's obviously misquoted 🤦‍♂️

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Flaps_98 said:

Why's that shocking mate?

Just now, Smithee said:

Why's that shocking mate?

Because if it is accurate and it is a dig at Hearts then its some statement to give to the press. 

1 minute ago, Flaps_98 said:

Because if it is accurate and it is a dig at Hearts then its some statement to give to the press. 

l read it that he' wanted to go on loan to a team that actually tries to play football.

Haters gonna hate though...

1 minute ago, Rudolf said:

l read it that he' wanted to go on loan to a team that actually tries to play football.

Haters gonna hate though...

Not a hater mate, just read it and thought I hope that isn't a dig at the club. None of us know if it is or isn't. 

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Flaps_98 said:

I'm with you. I'm not taking it as a dig at Hearts, just that he wanted to go to a football playing team rather than a less cultured one.

It would be pretty stupid for him to have a pop at Hearts when we're his employers and he hopes to make the grade with us!

On 23/09/2019 at 11:57, Mort said:

Disappointed to see Harry has been on the bench for the Pars the last 3 games and had minimal game time. Surely the whole purpose of loaning him there was to get more minutes on the park. Assume young Anthony must be injured?

Pars mate at work says he was totally anonymous at the weekend.

McDonald is injured.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I'm with you. I'm not taking it as a dig at Hearts, just that he wanted to go to a football playing team rather than a less cultured one.

It would be pretty stupid for him to have a pop at Hearts when we're his employers and he hopes to make the grade with us!

You're right, it would be very very stupid of him. And if that was the case I'm sure Levein wouldn't be shy in letting him know what he thought of it!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Oh ffs.

Whole idea of the loan system is to find clubs that make it easier for them to integrate back into Hearts. 

Its a ****ing compliment not a criticism of how we want to play 

GorgieFifeLife

If it is about Hearts I dont see how we can argue against it.  We dont play enough football and players like Harry suffer due to it.  If he is referring to us I like his honesty.  Hope he sticks in at Dunfermline, bulks up and comes back to us ready to fulfil his potential.

It should have been ten
16 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

Non story. A compliment to Dunfermline but papers want u to read it as a dig at Levein.

This 

The Treasurer
25 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

Non story. A compliment to Dunfermline but papers want u to read it as a dig at Levein.

Sadly there are plenty Hearts fans who don't need any encouragement to do that

letsalldothebeattie
2 hours ago, Flaps_98 said:

Going to be taken a couple of ways, most if not all on here will see it as he wanted to move to a club on loan that will suit him and play football, others outwith will see it as Harry taking shots at Craig. 

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 18:28, vegas-voss said:

We don't seem to be the best at transitioning promising youngsters into first team regulars.We used to be but not anymore.Some of these guys are still really young though.

So you haven't noticed that Hickey and Irving have been playing a lot recently?

On 12/08/2019 at 18:47, soonbe110 said:

Needs to grow up, apply himself and behave, is what I have heard (second hand as well) 

Heard that ... advisors had filled his head with spectacular horizons.  Needs to sort out his head and attitude , get his body healthy and apply himself. 

Jambo 4 Ever
On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 07:35, Robbo-Jambo said:

Fell out with Levein big time last season and has been slowly trying to prise himself off the naughty step. 🙄

Plus a succession of injuries have hampered him. 

what did he do to fall out?

Jambo 4 Ever
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Pars mate at work says he was totally anonymous at the weekend.

McDonald is injured.

another injured player - shock!

2 hours ago, Simmo said:

So you haven't noticed that Hickey and Irving have been playing a lot recently?

Hickey is an incredible talent.

Irvine might well make it but again he could go the same way as Harry that's my point it's not blooding them as we do that a lot it's seeing progression from them that I'm on about.