Cathro

MR INCREDIBLE

23 hours ago, Glottis said:

His tactics and selection were utterly shocking.

Our best game under him was against Rangers at home and we never once played that team or system again.

We also played like that against Motherwell away. Other than that and the Rangers game it was all very frustrating. 

Edited by AW1
Typo

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• McCrae

• MR INCREDIBLE

• siegementality

• Bazzas right boot

MR INCREDIBLE
3 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Has Nuno Santo been sacked as first team coach?????? 🤔

He is head coach. 

Cathro is 1st team coach. 

Your welcome. 

4 minutes ago, AW1 said:

Although the Cathro experiment was an utter disaster the "laptop" did give me one of my favourite ever nights as a Hearts fan. That 4-1 pumping of Rangers  is something I'll never forget. Even Leonard Sowah nearly got in on the act that night from a wonder strike (how Foderingham got across to save that I don't know) 

He never had the dressing room, didn't seem to have any personality to get the players in board with his philosophy, shame really. Took a head coach role too early and was left hung out to dry

I was genuinely excited, intrigued and enthused by the idea at first, real outside the box thinking. Risky but at the time, why not 

It's an interesting experiment that I would really have liked to have seen given the proper time, space and backing to see if it could have come to fruition.

In hindsight, probably prefer those experiments are conducted at someone else's club and viewed from afar.

15 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

He is head coach. 

Your welcome. 

You are right on the job titles.

The point is Santos calls the shots at Wolves - Cathro called the shots at Hearts.........well at least he was meant to!

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

He’s a poor man manager. I think that was fairly obvious. It’s much easier to look good when you’re behind the main man.

i don’t doubt he’s a talented and insightful coach but he was a disaster for us. 

That’s why he needed protected. He was what, 32 at the time? Well never know if he could have pulled it around. One thing we do know is that three years down the line we are not any better off and Cathro is 1st team coach at a team winning in the Europa League and who have just beaten the English champions. 

2 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Cathro was a back room guy. He was and is not cut out to be the main man - he has the personality of a goldfish!

How Levein didn’t know that was a disgrace!

If Cathro was given the same latitude as Levein then we could maybe have made a fairer assessment. Football management is not a personality contest.

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

If Cathro was given the same latitude as Levein then we could maybe have made a fairer assessment. Football management is not a personality contest.

no but managers need a strong personality when dealing with football players - Cathro does not have that!

4 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

He is head coach. 

Your welcome. 

The players called him The Riddler as nobody knew what he was baffling on about....anyone who had the misfortune to see/hear his interviews (shrugging shoulders like a child/Theresa May motto of "nothing has changed") will know he struggles to communicate in certain environments & looked lost...

Its almost night and day for anyone with any experience or sense of reality to compare positions where someone supports another or others in a capacity of assistant or similar, as oppose to the person that actually calls the shots & the pressures that go with that...they are so far removed its hard to capture in a post on JKB! 

He will continue to have an impressive career in the role he is in, assisting and supporting others, but will struggle again anytime soon to step up and be the top dog or no.1 due to his obvious flaws....

Was told by reliable source that Cathro training was first class !!

his man management was rubbish and couldn’t handle it..

there was a big divide in changing room of Scottish lads and foreign lads and he didn’t know how to gel the team..or how to address problem...

so good coach yes / manager NO 

1 hour ago, king.Robbo said:

there was a big divide in changing room of Scottish lads and foreign lads and he didn’t know how to gel the team..or how to address problem...

I think Cathro could have benefitted from being part of our "conveyor belt of managerial talent" (anyone remember that?), perhaps a few years as part of the coaching team would have helped him a bit.  It was painful watching him like a rabbit in the headlights dealing with the media, albeit they plumbed pretty low standards even for them. 

Ultimately it was a complete and utter cluster, and left us with that French bloke in midfield for about a hundred years.

This bump is nearly as strange as the guy saying that the graffiti in the tunnel is to blame for our current run 😂

Kickback is a strange place just now.

On 12/08/2019 at 11:04, siegementality said:

He’s been a way for two years. We signed about 25 players since. Nothing Cathro did is any longer part of the reason we are in this state. I’m afraid you need to look far closer to home to find the person responsible for that,

Correct.  It was right to get rid of him.   We were perhaps a little late in doing so. 

He has been away long enough now, not to be blamed for the current shambles. 

Meanwhile, both Levein and McPhee who were there at the time, are still here. 

Edited by Paolo

5 hours ago, king.Robbo said:

The players may have enjoyed it but they were completely unfit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40988031

annushorribilis III
6 hours ago, king.Robbo said:

Shame he didn't bother to speak to his mate Nuno at Wolves before he ran off there  - Nuno has a strict policy that all  players must speak English at all times while training/playing  , they're not allowed cliques, if they're in the same room as a native English speaker they must speak English. As for Cathro - he's gone but I still cringe every time I think about his post match gibberish. How Levin ever thought that guy ever had the man management skills to be a success is beyond me. 

On 08/10/2019 at 23:14, Ethan Hunt said:

That’s why he needed protected. He was what, 32 at the time? Well never know if he could have pulled it around. One thing we do know is that three years down the line we are not any better off and Cathro is 1st team coach at a team winning in the Europa League and who have just beaten the English champions. 

Bet hes pishing himself at the state of hearts now!!!  Levein stating july last year ,, "I'm here to fix the cathro mess ,   or such like ?🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

51 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

Bet hes pishing himself at the state of hearts now!!!  Levein stating july last year ,, "I'm here to fix the cathro mess ,   or such like ?🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

Cathro will indeed be laughing at Levein right now, from the lofty heights of the Premiership. Probably wondering how he allowed the big bearded clown to sell him his "vision" and put himself in the firing line while he sits up in the stand with another nobody like Jon Daly, passing notes to him. Unbelievable.

Bazzas right boot

No one on the thread touching on the fact we ended up 3rd in our lc group and got beat of Peterhead. 

That was the end game for him. 

Had he qualified from the lc group stage he might have got the first quarter of league games. 

Remember some posters celebrated Robbie going and him taking over as well. 

😂😂😂

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

No one on the thread touching on the fact we ended up 3rd in our lc group and got beat of Peterhead. 

That was the end game for him. 

Had he qualified from the lc group stage he might have got the first quarter of league games. 

Remember some posters celebrated Robbie going and him taking over as well. 

😂😂😂

I remember every poster celebrating. That's supporting the club and it's decisions, so it didn't work. That's life

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I remember every poster celebrating. That's supporting the club and it's decisions, so it didn't work. That's life

Not e ery supporter celebrated, some want us to do more and keep Robbie. 

Some also didn't agree with the plane and bed sheets -is that also called supporting the club? 

I said at the time that we'd end up missing Neilson more than most people on here were expecting at the time. 

Cathro was a gamble that I didn't disagree with. It unfortunately failed as spectacularly as it possibly could. He is, and will be, a great coach but a crap manager. He tried to change too much too quickly you could argue that it took until last summer to fix the damage he had done to the squad recruitment wise. 

If we had qualified from the lc group stage I do believe we'd have been in a similar situation just now, with him given the first round of games to see if he can turn it around. 

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Some also didn't agree with the plane and bed sheets -is that also called supporting the club? 

The plane was definatly not supporting the club

12 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

That just isn't true. Surely you have the mental capacity to make your point without making shit up?

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Dunks said:

That just isn't true. Surely you have the mental capacity to make your point without making shit up?

I can be serious. And don't call me Shirley

Anyway he was an overwhelmingly popular choice

WheatfieldWarrior
6 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

The Main stand sang a chorus of 'One Robbie Neilson' when the plane flew over that day - We could hear it, in the Wheatfield, but couldn't see it -  we didn't find out until later what it was all about.  

He was a popular manager during his time with us - there are always people who aren't 100% behind the manager for various reasons however. 

Basically the various pundits and "football people" made his job impossible from the outset, however, his communication skills were appalling and if native English speakers had no idea what he was trying to say, then I doubt any foreign mercenaries could...

On 08/10/2019 at 22:36, AW1 said:

Although the Cathro experiment was an utter disaster the "laptop" did give me one of my favourite ever nights as a Hearts fan. That 4-1 pumping of Rangers  is something I'll never forget. Even Leonard Sowah nearly got in on the act that night from a wonder strike (how Foderingham got across to save that I don't know) 

He never had the dressing room, didn't seem to have any personality to get the players in board with his philosophy, shame really. Took a head coach role too early and was left hung out to dry

Last sentence sums it up.  Actually CL was culpable here (and I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon). To have promoted him so early was a bad mistake for both him and Hearts. Typical though of CL's over confidence.