• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• Bazzas right boot

• John Findlay

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

I once saw East Stirling win 1-0 at Tynecastle, I’m sure. The dark days of the early eighties. May well have been 81-82, and we failed to go up as a result (not directly).

Edited by Shaggy2

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Shaggy2 said:

I once saw East Stirling win 1-0 at Tynecastle, I’m sure. The dark days of the early eighties. May well have been 81-82, and we failed to go up as a result (not directly).

81-82 was a grim season

Thankfully never seen anything on that scale of grimness since

Weakened Offender

Peterhead away.

St. Mirren Semi at Motherwell.

Losing 5-2 to Dumbarton at home.

Airdrie, every time.

Weakened Offender
12 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

I remember the police getting a bit of a tanking that afternoon.

Fitba's changed, eh? 😁

N Lincs Jambo

Think it’s already been mentioned 2-5 v Dumbarton towards the end of 81-82 season. 2-1 up and cruising then Dumbarton decided they were Barcelona. That’s the game that cost us promotion that season though in hindsight it was probably a good thing.

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

81-82 was a grim season

Its amazing how quickly things can change in football.

For years later and we were in with a chance of doing the double up until the last week of the season.

A season that ultimately ended in disappointment but what a journey.

12 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

crikey yesterday was miles better than so many games from the 70's and early 80's when we were truly dire 

Saturday actually reminded me a lot of those games.

50 minutes ago, Bring on the Future said:

There's certainly been worse results, but one of the games that sticks out in my memory in terms of sheer disgust at the application of my own team was losing 4-0 to Dundee Utd in the 06/07 season. Similar to Saturday, it was another game where the total team product was far less than the talent of the individual players we had on the pitch (at least Korobochka only got less than a season). Lucky to get into halftime at 0-0, the floodgates opened in the 2nd half and Barry Robson got a hat-trick while our players couldn't get close and were entirely bereft of ideas (pretty sure it was Jankauskas' last game for us). 

Certainly wasn't anywhere near the first time I'd seen Hearts play badly and deservedly get beaten, but the collective lack of imagination from the players and management as to how they could do anything differently to affect what was happening was the thing that got me. 

I remember that being a low point, however we went to easter road the next week and beat them 1-0 (i think that was the 'shoes off' game where we ruined their League Cup celebratation.

It's a funny old game!

The game against THEM at Tynecastle when we scored early and Gollum ignored it.

Only for Them to waltz up the other end and score.

I can't stand THEM.

EasternRossco
13 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Season 98/99 got bad. After the Cup, and first game, when we beat Rangers, Dick Advocaat et al, 2-1, I believed we would achieve something.

Months later, Derek Lilley on loan, we were continually awful. One game, can't remember who, might have been Dundee, the stewards felt bad and let people smoke in the doorway of the main stand. 

Another game that sticks out was home loss to St Mirren, Sat 5/10/13, Gary Locke v Danny Lennon and Austin MacPhee. They won the toss and switched ends. And that seemed to unsettle us. Callum Paterson was playing as a lone striker, and we just punted at him, he won lots of headers, but only St Mirren players around him. Just that. There was a guy in front of me who was a youth coach, there with his family, and he was pointing out what was going wrong, and maybe how to fix it. We lost 0-2. 

I was at that game. Made all the worse by Paul McGowan scoring the second. Genuine contender for the single most disgusting thing I have ever seen. 

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

81-82 was a grim season

There were some fleeting moments of hope, Motherwell away 2-2, with the dashing Pettigrew grabbing a brace but, ultimately, it was horrendous.

As bad as Saturday was, and it was terrible, it wouldn't make a top 100 of the worst displays I've seen.  

The 6-2 game was the pits

Maroon Sailor
48 minutes ago, bighalders said:

Losing to Forfar at home in the Cup think it was'81.  However to be fair they then took Rangers to 2 replays

Forfar was 13th Feb 82

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

I've seen East Stirling beat us at Tynie and was at the Dumbarton 5-2 home defeat. Also when Falkirk pumped us and we went bottom of the league (Rousset's debut, I think). 

3 hours ago, mickycameron98 said:

St Mirren beating us 1-0 at Tynecastle boxing day 2007. Cold wet horrible day and performance to match.

I was in hospitality that day and i'm glad i was p***** . I'd won a table for 4 thanks to talk radio.

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Where to start.

01/01/73. Date is enough.

Circa 1973/74. Losing 0-1 to Airdrie in a league game at home. Official attendance 4,500.

Circa 1981. Hame on leave and watching us struggle to beat Queen's Park 1-00 with a goal from Willie Pettistree I think. Crowd I also believe was under 3,000. 

53 years supporting Hearts. Been more thin than thick. Hearts will come through this. Thank **** there was no Internet Mid 70s to early 80s.

The first game against Queens Park that season was at Hampden and a worse game of football you will struggle to see. Pissing down, Hearts huddled together up at the top right of the North terracing, under the old North Stand. Beaten 1-0. Crowd was about 2K.

Awful !

It’s been said many times to younger supporters but it has always been true.....you don’t know you’re living, kids !

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Boab said:

The first game against Queens Park that season was at Hampden and a worse game of football you will struggle to see. Pissing down, Hearts huddled together up at the top right of the North terracing, under the old North Stand. Beaten 1-0. Crowd was about 2K.

Awful !

It’s been said many times to younger supporters but it has always been true.....you don’t know you’re living, kids !

Agreed 

Saturday was bad but no where near some of the lows over the years. 

Aberdeen early 1992 we were up challenging and they thumped us 4-0 at Tynecastle which pretty much ended our chances was the earliest kick in the teeth i can remember.

Falkirk 4-0 in the scottish cup, Livi 5-0, Hibs 6-2, St Johnstone in the league cup semi, St Mirren league cup semi, inverness with 9 men or them knocking us out the cup at tynecastle 3-1 years ago, birkikara.... i could keep going

it's actually murder following hearts 

The 3-2 defeat to Inverness at home in december 2007.

Korobochka was the manager and this was at the height of Vlad picking the team.

Hearts goalie Kurskis got himself sent off in the 87th minute for a 2nd yellow.

We'd made all our subs so Lee Wallace went in goal.

We were 2-1 down at that point.

Velicka won then scored a penalty and it looked like we might rescue a point but Invesneckie scored the winner in the 93rd minute.

Didn't go back to Tynecastle for a while after that shambles.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, richiehmfc said:

Saturday was bad but no where near some of the lows over the years. 

Aberdeen early 1992 we were up challenging and they thumped us 4-0 at Tynecastle which pretty much ended our chances was the earliest kick in the teeth i can remember.

Falkirk 4-0 in the scottish cup, Livi 5-0, Hibs 6-2, St Johnstone in the league cup semi, St Mirren league cup semi, inverness with 9 men or them knocking us out the cup at tynecastle 3-1 years ago, birkikara.... i could keep going

it's actually murder following hearts 

The 4-0 v Aberdeen crossed my mind as well. 

We were good then, they were also decent, that day the melted us. 

17 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Yesterday was bad, but there have been worse against poor teams in 2019 let alone all time. 1-0 defeat at Hamilton last season with 1 shot on target all game probably the worst performance I saw last season. For home performances, the 1-2 defeat by Dundee was probably the most chaotically ugly.

Of all time, the one that immediately jumps to mind was the 1996 5-2 home defeat by Patrick, who were relegated that season. Anyone who thought yesterday was bad should watch the defending and finishing in this horror show. 

Remember this match well.  Crazy match.  Sure we bear Rangers 2-0 just a few days later.  JJ was always good at getting the team to bounce back after bad defeats.

Might have been mentioned but remember losing 6-1 at Motherwell in December 2002.  Horrific!

Smoked-Glass
4 hours ago, Diego10 said:

As bad as Saturday was, and it was terrible, it wouldn't make a top 100 of the worst displays I've seen.  

The 6-2 game was the pits

The 6-2 at least had some fight about it. 1st half were better team till last few mins.  

Smoked-Glass
14 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Remember this match well.  Crazy match.  Sure we bear Rangers 2-0 just a few days later.  JJ was always good at getting the team to bounce back after bad defeats.

Might have been mentioned but remember losing 6-1 at Motherwell in December 2002.  Horrific!

That was only a blip in a good season where we played some youngsters.  Every other game that year was pretty good 

SectionDJambo

Too many bad results to list them all, over 50+ years of following Hearts.

One game that sticks with me, though, is the Mo Berthe game at Dens Park. The game was terrible, with JJ and his mates huddled under their wee shelter like they were waiting on a bus. They hardly moved the whole game, from what i could see. Obviously, the relationship with the board had gone and even they couldn't be bothered anymore.

Worst results decision is a toss up between losing 7-0 to Hibs and Dens Park, again, in 1986.

Come to think of it, trips to Dens Park were usually a waste of time in the late 60s and 70s.

alwaysthereinspirit

I've been going since 67 so many on here like myself could recite a list as long as both their arms of way worse than Saturday. I'll get through it thank you very much.

Francis Albert
18 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

yesterday was also miles better than when we lost 0-7 on a certain New Years Day derby

How did it take so long for the obvious answer? Must be the age demographic of kickback.

18 hours ago, King prawn said:

Losing 4 nothing at home to Dundee United was pants. 

That's mine too. 0-0 at half time then 4 to the Arabs in the second half including a Barry Robson hat-trick as they just sliced through us at ease. All at the Roseburn end where I was sitting.

grumpyespana

My memory is not so good but there have been a few over the years but one that's stands out is getting beat by Forfar at Tynie lol.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

A lot of good replies. 

Resources is the key to the magnitude of disappointment. 

Timing. First game of the season another factor.  No fire.

Getting thumped will happen,  I can understand that,  getting thumped by a newly promoted side,  just so much more hard to take. 

Yes I'm ignoring the scoreline,  only immense luck prevented a thrashing let alone defeat,  on a day we really should have been excited about 

Seymour M Hersh
19 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I'm old enough and I agree. Nothing will ever be as bad as that day.

For me times have changed. When I walk out of Tynecastle it's pretty much forgotten about nowadays.  

I have too many good things in my life to lose my shit over a game of football.

I still love the Hearts, but I now have s different outlook on life. 

I'm with you on that Jonno. Maybe like voting the youngsters will now be considering us too old to be allowed to go to games. :laugh:

The 2007/08 season when Korobochka, Chervenkov and Frail, might have been in charge, who knows? Vlad picking the team and predetermined subs every week. Turning up and not knowing who would be playing or where, that was a particularly grim time. Seem to remember we would still pull off the odd decent result despite everything. Utterly shite though. Couldn't pick an individual game.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

How did it take so long for the obvious answer? Must be the age demographic of kickback.

See my post above 

Francis Albert
18 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

1-7 to Dundee at Tynie in 63/64 was a shocker and totally unexpected.  We were top of the league which we finally lost on goal difference. 

A 5-1 thrashing would have won us the league.

Painful.

At the time we thought it was just a blip and as I recall we were more amused than distraught. And of course it should have been just a blip. Just avoid losing the last game by two goals. Sound familiar?

( 64 /65 of course as has been pointed out)

Edited by Francis Albert

I would say the loss to Dundee in January. The weather added to the misery, that’s the worst I’ve felt after a football game ever. Drawing to St mirren at home in the same season was tough because hearts let me down for £600 😂 both under Levein.

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

See my post above 

Yes I know you and others got there before me. I was just surprised so few didn't leap to the obvious answer. There have been lots of worse performances but no worse game experiences.

The White Cockade
36 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Aye. An upper age limit. They'll probably bring it in when we reach the concession price range....few years yet mind :wink:

Jonno says we've all done very well!

YoungMrGrace.jpg

millerjames398
18 hours ago, martoon said:

I remember that. 

Shuffled out into McLeod Street at full time and someone shouted something along the lines of "we should protest" and that was that. 

They were terrible days in Joe Jordan's time. Every game at Tynecastle was the same. We'd huff and puff for around 75/80 minutes then Robbo would take the only real chance we created and score. Usually meant a 1-0 win or 1-1 draw but Airdrie scored another 2 that day to make it 1-3.

I was only 13/14 at the time, and to be honest, it was a bit of a buzz😂, pushing the crash barrier toward the main entrance, all the bigwigs lookin down on us from up in the main stand, getting the and middle finger signs😂🇱🇻

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

The 4-0 v Aberdeen crossed my mind as well. 

We were good then, they were also decent, that day the melted us. 

A dispiriting afternoon. Eion(sp) Jess celebrating their 2nd or 3rd near the shed is seared into my mind. Rangers won that day to merely draw level on points with us but it felt worse than that. 

Iirc, we then lost at Airdrie then, in a must win/not lose game v. Rangers, lost 0-1 at Tynecastle. 

Those three games came after the 2-1 win at Celtic when the dream of winning the title seemed, at the very least, a possibility. 

Still, those days, and other's like them, have made me the man I am today. :lol:

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, martoon said:

A dispiriting afternoon. Eion(sp) Jess celebrating their 2nd or 3rd near the shed is seared into my mind. Rangers won that day to merely draw level on points with us but it felt worse than that. 

Iirc, we then lost at Airdrie then, in a must win/not lose game v. Rangers, lost 0-1 at Tynecastle. 

Those three games came after the 2-1 win at Celtic when the dream of winning the title seemed, at the very least, a possibility. 

Still, those days, and other's like them, have made me the man I am today. :lol:

You remember it better than me. 

I remember in the early to mid nineties they humped as a lot. We reversed that in the late 90's tho. 

2 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

I was only 13/14 at the time, and to be honest, it was a bit of a buzz😂, pushing the crash barrier toward the main entrance, all the bigwigs lookin down on us from up in the main stand, getting the and middle finger signs😂🇱🇻

I remember some bloke up at a window being a bit arsey and provocative and the curtains being closed. It got close to getting out of hand, but didn't. 

millerjames398
5 minutes ago, martoon said:

I remember some bloke up at a window being a bit arsey and provocative and the curtains being closed. It got close to getting out of hand, but didn't. 

Thats how i recall it as well, was starting to get a bit out of hand, when the police managed to disperse us, suffice to say that was the most exciting part of the day😂🇱🇻