How good is our squad?

Martin_T

Jambosteve1902
31 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

still don't get the "on paper we look good" - we are poor

who has better squad than us outwith old firm? Player for player we're better than Aberdeen. fact 

Jambo 4 Ever
4 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

who has better squad than us outwith old firm? Player for player we're better than Aberdeen. fact 

rubbish!

13 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

That’s not true.

Aberdeen have a vastly superior goalkeeper. And they have 3 or 4 wingers/wide men who are all better than anything we have.

Edited by amadjambo

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, amadjambo said:

That’s not true.

Aberdeen have a vastly superior goalkeeper. And they have 3 or 4 wingers/wide men who are all better than anything we have.

this

On paper, it's strong

In reality, it's crocked 

Arguably Levein's only real find Haring crocked. 

Levein's wonder kid Wighton crocked 

Nasmith can barely string 90 minutes together

Berra can barely run anymore

Uche has constant issues

Garrucio crocked 

Souttar crocked 

Need I go on? 

I’ve just tried to pick a team for Friday night and our lack of midfield options is frightening. How on Earth have we got into this position yet again? Our lack of planning from one season to the next borders on negligence.

Inferior to Aberdeen but better than Hibs and Kilmarnock although not much in it. The huns have defo powered beyond everybody bar Celtic. Back to their old tax evasion or just bent.

On 11/08/2019 at 20:07, Vlad Magic said:

Just short on a little bit of confidence in my opinion.

Couple of wins under the belt will see a big change in attitude/performance.

Its hard to gain confidence when your own manager worries more about nullifying the opposition and doesn’t have the confidence in his own players to just go out and win

This whole "confidence" issue is the latest excuse used by Levein, used after the Ross County Game and now used on here by some as fact. 

It's concerning that people can't come up with thier own conclusions and still lap up everything this guy says. 

Edited by Sagan

letsalldothebeattie

We have the basis of a very good squad. But whether it’s Levein solely or down to whatever is being coached to them during the week something is stopping them from producing on the park 

I listened to the Terrace Podcast this morning and they espoused the usual tropes about Hearts having a squad lacking pace and being physical etc. I disagree that we lack pace in the squad, we don't play with pace, but we have in Clare, Mulraney, Washington  and Morrison alone, plenty pace and others in Walker and Naismith who have the cliched yard of pace in their heads.

If the team was set out in an expansive attacking style, I honestly believe that there is plenty of goals and invention in this team. Whether it be a lack of confidence, or the way the team is coached, it is ultimately not getting the best out of what I believe is a talented squad.

David McCaig
1 minute ago, Martin_T said:

I listened to the Terrace Podcast this morning and they espoused the usual tropes about Hearts having a squad lacking pace and being physical etc. I disagree that we lack pace in the squad, we don't play with pace, but we have in Clare, Mulraney, Washington  and Morrison alone, plenty pace and others in Walker and Naismith who have the cliched yard of pace in their heads.

If the team was set out in an expansive attacking style, I honestly believe that there is plenty of goals and invention in this team. Whether it be a lack of confidence, or the way the team is coached, it is ultimately not getting the best out of what I believe is a talented squad.

If we are to play 442 with Uche and Washington up front, then it has to be a case of either Naismith or Walker (not both) plus a genuine winger - Mulraney, Morrison, or a new signing.

We do have an excellent squad, but at present I have zero confidence in Levein getting the most out of them.

In terms of pace, Aidy White pre-injury would comfortably be the quickest player in Scottish football, there were a couple of glimpses on Saturday which suggested he could still shift.

our squad is looking like a jigsaw with half the pieces missing. The pieces are 

in the club but it will take a new management team to find them and put it 

all together. We know this and Ann knows it but her personal friendship with 

Hearts manager is clouding her business mind. She is dreading the day she 

has to call CL in to tell his time is up as our squad/players are in a total 

mess as we don't have a team on match days we have a shambles.

Had to laugh when I read Clare would walk into any other top six side. Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and Hibs will be rubbing their hands if/when that joker appears on the team sheet as our main midfielder. Must admit I did applaud heartily all three things he did at the weekend. Disappeared, though, after falling flat on his face and asking for a non-existent foul. 

Edited by Shaggy2

The Big Papa Phelps

I think we have a really good squad.Players like Berra, Souttar, Smith, Naismith,Washington and Whelan would walk into any team in the league and I include the old firm for most of them.Problem is we haven't yet gelled as a team and the injuries last season really hindered us.Things will click into place and I can see us taking a few off Motherwell on Friday.Celtic will be difficult but again we can cause them trouble.

I was stunned we got a player of Sean Clare's quality.Im sure there were some top Championship sides and even bottom half Premier League teams down south wanted him.He arrived injured but his ability is slowly showing through.Hes still a young lad.Give him time but I firmly believe he will be a huge asset for us and will go onto make us some serious cash.

42 minutes ago, The Big Papa Phelps said:

I think we have a really good squad.Players like Berra, Souttar, Smith, Naismith,Washington and Whelan would walk into any team in the league and I include the old firm for most of them.Problem is we haven't yet gelled as a team and the injuries last season really hindered us.Things will click into place and I can see us taking a few off Motherwell on Friday.Celtic will be difficult but again we can cause them trouble.

I was stunned we got a player of Sean Clare's quality.Im sure there were some top Championship sides and even bottom half Premier League teams down south wanted him.He arrived injured but his ability is slowly showing through.Hes still a young lad.Give him time but I firmly believe he will be a huge asset for us and will go onto make us some serious cash.

Serious question. When was the last time you watched Christophe Berra?

The Big Papa Phelps
40 minutes ago, Paris 84 said:

Serious question. When was the last time you watched Christophe Berra?

Saturday.

His pace is leaving him but he's still a wonderful leader and someone you want in the trenches with you.

1 minute ago, The Big Papa Phelps said:

Saturday.

His pace is leaving him but he's still a wonderful leader and someone you want in the trenches with you.

Yes, if you’re fighting an enemy. If however you want a player to pass the ball out of defence then he’s not the player you’d pick. Every team we play, leaves him completely free when our goalie or a defender has the ball for a reason. 

Stephen Muddie

Our squad just got immeasurably better IMO. Jury out until he pulls on the jersey etc but he at least seems like a goalkeeper with a bit of ambition. Still on Man U's books anyway. If he does a Mitchell 1st spell then I'll be liking the MUFC tie-in.

Couple more players, maybe a versatile attacking midfielder and a goalscorer, and we'd have a terrific SPL squad... OAN PAIPUR

Stephen Muddie
Just now, Paris 84 said:

Yes, if you’re fighting an enemy. If however you want a player to pass the ball out of defence then he’s not the player you’d pick. Every team we play, leaves him completely free when our goalie or a defender has the ball for a reason. 

How often do you see any centre backs being man-marked though?? 

Nobody man marks a central defender (unless they go forward for set pieces), however the opposition can choose to shut down defenders when they lose possession. Or they can opt as our opponents do regularly, to shut down all other options from the goalie and leave one defender as his only out other going long. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Improving today with the keeper joining, Whelan looking likely, I'm thinking we just need that natural goalscorer and we will have a strong squad with depth just hope they stay fit and we get the best out of them, we could probably weed out a couple that aren't going to feature now and loan a few youth players 

Looks to have improved the quality this window 

The Big Papa Phelps
17 minutes ago, Paris 84 said:

Christophe has never been someone who can pass out from the back.

Toxteth O'Grady

Too many goallies and holding midfielders.Too many injury prone players.

No natural finisher.

For a 5 year plan its a shambles.

If you want to look for comparisons to previous squads then for me, it's a bit early yet. One thing that does make me wonder is the amount of players we sign that are all very similar. Especially in midfield. Gomis, Bauben, Kitchen, Adao, Tzolis, Djoum, Nowak, Cowie, Pallardo and others have all been similar in type and none could be classed as a Hartley or Cameron type. The latest of this type is Damour and we're still looking at Whelan. We've went through some really poor full-backs either side but left-back has been a major worry for years, since McHattie/Eckersley in fact. Oshaniwa, Sowah, Grzelak to name a few. Thought we'd sorted that out at last when we signed Garuccio. Looked excellent then got dropped to allow Mitchell to play out of position there. Then there's Mulraney who's been there also. Struna, on the right, Avlonitis (still not sure what he was) spring to mind. Upfront we didn't use Jonsson enough and he's proved Levein/Cathro or whoever wrong since. Then there's the plague of injuries. No need to go through this or last seasons injury list as we all know it but folk like El Hassnaoui, Juanma and plenty others were out for long spells. We've also signed plenty duds like Callaghan, Stockton, Amankwaa and what was even the point of signing Edwards.

Wasted money on long-term contracts for rubbish like Sammon and Martin, Oshaniwa as well.

The question is...is Uche any better or worse than previous other forwards? Is Washington going to be the standard let-down or going to come good? Four years for Damour? Money wasted yet again, this time on Wighton like we did with Reilly?

By December we'll know a bit more once everyone settles in properly.

23 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Too many goallies and holding midfielders.Too many injury prone players.

No natural finisher.

For a 5 year plan its a shambles.

I agree

doctor jambo

I'd have to say that recruitment this summer has been excellent.

Whether that translates onto the park remains to be seen- it appeared to at Aberdeen, then definitely didn't at home to Ross County.

Who_put_the_ball_in...

Excellent on papaer just not so good on grass. Lacking confidence and poorly set out. Player for player I honestly think we are now stronger than Aberdeen 

I keep reading this thing about genuine wingers. That was tried last year and was a joke, that means you have no variety in your game. Look at Celtic, Forrest on one side and Johnston\Sinclair on the other...different types of player means you have different types of approach. 2 quick wingers throwing aimless balls into the box to a striker who doesn't score goals....poor tactic and the easiest one in the world to negate.

Have a mix, one with crossing ability, one with ability to play through\link the game then you can change the way you play to suit instead of trying the same thing all the time. Pretty obvious watching Washington he wants the ball played in behind defenders, his movement is what buys him the space, he doesn't want a ball with a CB breathing down his neck.

The 2 wingers approach was tried last year and failed because the majority of the time either the cross was poor or the defender wins the header. The players are there now for the game to be played on that lovely (when its fixed) £1nillion pound surface...why have it if you want to put the ball 30ft in the air all the time...

Individually the best group of players we've had in the Budge era imo. 

Highly regarded young keeper with experienced back up and the promising Harry Stone waiting in the wings

Mr dependable at right back with lots of young cover. 

Two of the best young centre halves in the country, along with a vastly experienced skipper and a reliable back up in Dikamona.

Two highly talented left backs who will only improve as time passes.

Experience, Strength and depth in defensive midfield which looks like being bolstered further with Whelan.

Creative young central midfielders with bags of ability and possibly another to add in the Man City lad.

A wide range of attacking qualities, with the pace and movement of Washington, Mulraney and Morrison, the intelligence and finishing ability of Naismith and Walker, the strength and power of Uche. A penalty box striker would be the cherry on top.

We shouldn't have any problems with squad depth this season and the quality is there for all to see. The manager has all the tools to do very well and ultimately it is down to him to use them effectively.

The quality in the squad is very good.  It's certainly better than everyone spending less than us and I don't think much in it with Aberdeen.

So it's now about getting that shown on the park, which I have little confidence in the current manager to do.  He's certainly run out of excuses

BarneyBattles44

On top of what we already have. Joel fights for No 1 ultimately the GK department becomes highly competitive.  Add Whelan to be Officially confirmed possibly Meshino who looks a natural playmaker very tidy visionary. Damour Haring whelan paternership Souttar to return. The Goal ratio must Rise. Hickey to return and compete / learn from White. Halkett is the most versatile in the side. Big Uche is capable with a side that has a midfield general in it. That's if the players still to add are the ones mentioned. Very strong group. Training bonding and figuring out our style strength and finishing. Naismith Washington are tough n will run themselves ragged to improve Us up top

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

On top of what we already have. Joel fights for No 1 ultimately the GK department becomes highly competitive.  Add Whelan to be Officially confirmed possibly Meshino who looks a natural playmaker very tidy visionary. Damour Haring whelan paternership Souttar to return. The Goal ratio must Rise. Hickey to return and compete / learn from White. Halkett is the most versatile in the side. Big Uche is capable with a side that has a midfield general in it. That's if the players still to add are the ones mentioned. Very strong group. Training bonding and figuring out our style strength and finishing. Naismith Washington are tough n will run themselves ragged to improve Us up top

Like your optimism 

Tenaciousdandy

With keeper situation looking like it has been sorted,  whelan signing and the possibility of the young Japanese lad coming on loan to add to the already quality signings we have made, i really think once the team clicks (which may happen against motherwell on friday) we will have a good season. i fancy us to get our confidence issues sorted, the new keeper will settle the defence and whelan will bridge the gap between defence and attacking mid/forwards. so hopefully play from the back with a bit more ease and not hoof up the park.

Whilst the squad might look good on paper, the whole approach to this transfer window is a cause for concern. Levein started the summer suggesting he needed 4 new faces, we could end up with 8? It seems like the last throw of the dice for Levein, Budge again backing her man. I remain unconvinced that walker and Whelan will bring more to the table long term than giving likes of McDonald and Irving a fair crack of the whip. We live from result to result under Levein - these youngsters need someone who will show faith in them, not move them aside at the first sign of trouble. I am not sure the squad was ever the issue, even with last year's personnel, we were massively underachieving. Have we addressed the root cause or are we papering over the cracks?

Edited by Jambo83x
Typo

On 12/08/2019 at 14:09, amadjambo said:

That’s not true.

Their GK prevented them getting gubbed at Murrayfield and won them the game at Pittodrie, hopefully our new guy can give us a chance

Cut The Crap
12 hours ago, Jambo83x said:

Whilst the squad might look good on paper, the whole approach to this transfer window is a cause for concern. Levein started the summer suggesting he needed 4 new faces, we could end up with 8? It seems like the last throw of the dice for Levein, Budge again backing her man. I remain unconvinced that walker and Whelan will bring more to the table long term than giving likes of McDonald and Irving a fair crack of the whip. We live from result to result under Levein - these youngsters need someone who will show faith in them, not move them aside at the first sign of trouble. I am not sure the squad was ever the issue, even with last year's personnel, we were massively underachieving. Have we addressed the root cause or are we papering over the cracks?

Good post.

12 hours ago, Jambo83x said:

Couldn't agree more. You HAVE to give youngsters a chance/long run in the team. As long as you have an experienced spine and the right blend of old/young players it should work.

Now the we have Loic, I wouldn't bother with Whelan. Give Irving/Cochrane an extended run in the side. Harring will be back and a month or two.

Its painful to see Levein so desperate. It's a few weeks ago he said he was happy with our goal keepers. Who are probably the worst in the league. Now we sign a loanee. Which was 100% needed but spout rubbish saying ur happy when ur clearly not.