Joel Pereira Update

afanderson33

17 hours ago, kila said:

Maybe there is a communication breakdown between him and the keepers, but a few times now he's been caught in a 'whose ball is it?' leading to a goal. He isn't a ball playing centre half, so keeper more likely to just hoof it anyway. Felt last season's unbeaten run was down to the two centre halves Souttar and Dunne. Had they been present for the Murrayfield semi we'd have won without Naismith.

Just not convinced by Berra right now, and once Souttar is fit, any back two pairing should always be Souttar and Halkett with Berra sitting out.

I’m not getting this. You blaming Berra for Murrayfield where he didn’t play? You could get away with saying Dunne over Berra may have won us the big cup but it’s quite a statement to make that Souttar and Dunne (technically just Souttar, since Dunne played) would have won us that Murrayfield game. 

Hearts looked fine at the very start of last season with Christophe in there. His injury has clearly affected him far more than anyone at Hearts, himself included, is willing to admit. 

Anyway, seeing this thread is about the goalie I’ll agree that it’s far too early to make a call, BUT he was partially culpable for the first yesterday. Not unduly worried as I can’t remember a goalie I was convinced by after two games (maybe Niemi).

Edited by Shaggy2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Pasquale for King

• Jambo 4 Ever

StevenNaismith

Give him time, this lad will come good. Difficult for any goalkeeper at Celtic Park as you can’t hear anything on the pitch.

Jambo 4 Ever
36 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Another classic ‘what a signing’ goes to ‘get him to ****’ within what, 180 minutes of game time.

Some bunch.

The “what a signing folk” probably only said that coz he plays with Man Utd 

He doesn't look comfortable and a bit shaky. Tried to claw at McGregors shot with the wrong arm - basic GK error. My son does keeper training and doing that's already been coached out of him at the age of 8 years old. What worries me is that he has to play a certain amount of games this season as part of the deal. Bobby had his shortcomings but I'd rather have him then Pereira.

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

A good keeper shouldn’t need time to settle in. He just has to make saves.

An outfield player has to blend in with his other team mates.

Image result for wait what memes

1 minute ago, ronnie_fife said:

He doesn't look comfortable and a bit shaky. Tried to claw at McGregors shot with the wrong arm - basic GK error. My son does keeper training and doing that's already been coached out of him at the age of 8 years old. What worries me is that he has to play a certain amount of games this season as part of the deal. Bobby had his shortcomings but I'd rather have him then Pereira.

judge the lad after a good few games - not 2! bobby has had dodgy game after dodgy game! - Joel at least deserves 10 games before can be judged. Too many fans judge far too quickly. 

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

The perfect statement from someone that clearly doesn't have a clue, not only about being a GK but clearly about football

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Shot stopping isn’t a team act

He has made one save in two games which was likely going wide anyway. I don’t think Bobby is the dugs but he’d have made a better stab at saving the McGregor  shot and Motherwell’s goal last week IMO.

He has found a hearts player about twice in two games when he has had the ball.

You can judge a keeper quicker than you can judge an outfield player.

Perreira is not the added quality we needed in goals. He’s 6th choice at United for a reason.

so far ive not been that impressed with him,

but saying that, hes played just two games, one a debut in torrential rain and the other a game at Celtic Park. so im not gonna write him off yet

7 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

He has made one save in two games which was likely going wide anyway. I don’t think Bobby is the dugs but he’d have made a better stab at saving the McGregor  shot and Motherwell’s goal last week IMO.

Perreira is not the added quality we needed in goals. He’s 6th choice at United for a reason.

The perfect statement from someone that clearly doesn't have a clue, not only about being a GK but clearly about football

10 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

going by Bobbys record - palm it into the net instead

Tom Hardy’s Dug
26 minutes ago, PB21 said:

There is one common denominator in goalie/defender errors costing goals this season and it isn’t the goalie. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
23 minutes ago, PB21 said:

going by Bobbys record - palm it into the net instead

At least he’d have got a hand to it...

35 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

6th choice? at worst he's 4th choice but I'd say he's ahead of Lee Grant who is only there to provide cover to allow young keepers like Joel to develop out on loan.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
53 minutes ago, Ribble said:

6th choice? at worst he's 4th choice but I'd say he's ahead of Lee Grant who is only there to provide cover to allow young keepers like Joel to develop out on loan.

One paper reported he was 6th. Won’t argue over 2 places though 👍

Hungry hippo
4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

One paper reported he was 6th. Won’t argue over 2 places though 👍

We'll call it 2nd choice if 2 places isn't important. 😁

Having said that, it's not been a convincing start. Not enough evidence to say that he can't be a good keeper for us but a few causes for concern.

This place at times just cracks me up. Two games and already people screaming for Bobby to come back. JP is a massive upgrade on Bobby and Doyle. If it wasn’t for bobby and Berra we’d be in Europe as SC cup winners. What’s it going to be like on Saturday when Meshino doesn’t score a worldie on his debut or has a misplaced pass? 

Understand the seethe against the manager and the board but our new keeper, like anyone else will take time to bed in here.  

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Saughton Jambo said:

This place at times just cracks me up. Two games and already people screaming for Bobby to come back. JP is a massive upgrade on Bobby and Doyle. If it wasn’t for bobby and Berra we’d be in Europe as SC cup winners. What’s it going to be like on Saturday when Meshino doesn’t score a worldie on his debut or has a misplaced pass? 

Understand the seethe against the manager and the board but our new keeper, like anyone else will take time to bed in here.  

Of the 11 players on the pitch which player would you know easiest or first if he  had good ability - particularly having played the team that has dominated every competition for 3 years?

Which is the position that is described as sometimes being the loneliest job on the pitch.

Ok, he might get better but it will be difficult to convince me that goalie is not the position you can suss our quickest - jeez, 2 weeks ago this place was full of people saying they knew Bobby was shit since the start.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

5 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

It's a lot to do with being loans out from Man Utd I think twice before Us that's 3 different clubs on loan and all different level's. 4 including Utd.  Thrown in over two weeks ago that's a holiday to some . reality check the vouyer is wrong.

Got to agree with Tom Hardys Dug here, he looks a bit shite if I'm honest. Not an improvement on Bobby so far, really hope I'm proven wrong in the upcoming games. 

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

On what basis is he massive upgrade?

i think he is rather poo to be honest 💩 

4 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Jon McLaughlin wasn't great at the start remember. Seem to recall at least one howler early on.

Firhill 

5 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

I’m not getting this. You blaming Berra for Murrayfield where he didn’t play? You could get away with saying Dunne over Berra may have won us the big cup but it’s quite a statement to make that Souttar and Dunne (technically just Souttar, since Dunne played) would have won us that Murrayfield game. 

Hearts looked fine at the very start of last season with Christophe in there. His injury has clearly affected him far more than anyone at Hearts, himself included, is willing to admit. 

Anyway, seeing this thread is about the goalie I’ll agree that it’s far too early to make a call, BUT he was partially culpable for the first yesterday. Not unduly worried as I can’t remember a goalie I was convinced by after two games (maybe Niemi).

Berra has been a great servant however 

both goals at Hampden

first goal at Aberdeen

first goal at Parkhead

he wasn't blameless at any of those. Not all his fault but culpable to an extent at all of them. Add in a few very shaky Betfred performances and there is definitely a question mark over his spot in the first team when Soutar is fit. 

I thought he had turned a corner at Fir Park but maybe not. 

3 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

There is one common denominator in goalie/defender errors costing goals this season and it isn’t the goalie. 

Think the goalies have been one of two common denominators. 

2 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Agreed. First game in a torrential downpour at a dump, second game in front of 50k and two of his own team put it past him. Thought he should have done better at first goal but not much he could do at other two. McGregors shot came from behind two defenders 

6 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Another classic ‘what a signing’ goes to ‘get him to ****’ within what, 180 minutes of game time.

Some bunch.

This, in spades. I'm starting to get incredibly fed up with it... The entitlement from some people is staggering, they expect every single Hearts player to be World Class at everything football related for 90+ minutes, week in, week out. 

Newsflash, if a player was of any exceptional talent, they would not be playing in the Scottish Premiership.  We need to stop turning on individual players so ****ing quickly. 

6 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

A position that is:

a) more isolated
b) less support and little reliance on instructions/guidance from players around you
c) NO hiding place if you make a single error.

Doesn't need to settle. Well he won't get to with the speed at which some fans judge players these days. 

1 hour ago, Natural Orders said:

On what basis is he massive upgrade?

i think he is rather poo to be honest 💩 

On what you’ve seen from him you think he’s 5h1te 😳. Not sure wether trolling or serious here. But your option is yours and my opinion is mine.

If you think we’re better off with bombscare Bobby between the sticks then I think you’re deluded. Our problems with leaking goals have stemmed from Bobby and Berra. The goalkeeper is the last line of defence. Bobby has always been prone to errors. Having seen JP in only two games then I still wouldn’t judge him until he’s played about 10 games for us. A simple shout to Berra May have prevented the first goal but I  wouldn’t blame him for any of the goals he lost yesterday. 

maroonsgotop

time will tell if he's any good. However, being in early I watched his pre match at Motherwell and was not confident about him from what I saw. That opinion didn't change during the game. However, it's early days and hopefully as he settles in he'll get more confident and improve. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I think it’s just a simple point at present- Joel has shown nothing in two games to suggest he is an upgrade.

Got nutmegged against Motherwell. Yet another Hearts keeper that suffered from Berra not properly commanding his defence and keeper AS CAPTAIN.

And possibly not getting as near to a decent but hardly a worldly from Mcgregor at the weekend.

Its simply an uninspiring start that doesn’t instantly suggest that Joel has a touch of class.

i don’t understand why that is a controversial view.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

16 hours ago, tian447 said:

This, in spades. I'm starting to get incredibly fed up with it... The entitlement from some people is staggering, they expect every single Hearts player to be World Class at everything football related for 90+ minutes, week in, week out. 

Newsflash, if a player was of any exceptional talent, they would not be playing in the Scottish Premiership.  We need to stop turning on individual players so ****ing quickly. 

It's the English Premier League / Champions League effect.

That and (a fair proportion of) Hearts fans are absolute zoomers.

6 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

If the injury isn’t serious, why aren’t we treating him up here?

i sense another shite diagnosis here.  “Doesn’t appear too serious”.  Aye, every ****ing time folks!!!

4 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

i sense another shite diagnosis here.  “Doesn’t appear too serious”.  Aye, every ****ing time folks!!!

Loan players return to the parent club with most injuries...plus he has not long moved up here and may not have a house yet and the international break is coming it makes sense for him to be back in manchester 

Edited by gov

7 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Exactly. Although I think it is standard for parent clubs to look after injuries indo think a lot of our problems in the past have come as a result of poor diagnosis/treatment.

fabienleclerq
19 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

You couldn’t make it up. To be fair tho I think Doyle deserves another chance

A chance at what? He's not a good keeper. 

Seems a bit strange he's away back so quick. 

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Man Utd want to treat him,doesn’t show much faith or trust in our medical department.

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, gov said:

Loan players return to the parent club with most injuries...plus he has not long moved up here and may not have a house yet and the international break is coming it makes sense for him to be back in manchester 

Mitchell didn’t, Naismith did when he needed an operation but not for run of the mill injuries.

Hungry hippo
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Man Utd want to treat him,doesn’t show much faith or trust in our medical department.

We treat all our players that go out on loan. Standard practice.

• davemclaren changed the title to Joel Pereira Update