Uche

Hot since 86

Hot since 86

I like him but he’s clearly not going to get anything from the refs in this country. Pulled and chucked about same as last week - resulted in an Aberdeen breakaway goal last week and a turned down penalty today.

No point picking him if he can’t play his game. 

Get the the bill on the ground into feet for Washington/Walker/Mulraney/Naismith to create.

Not going to happen under this inept management team though

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo 4 Ever

• GinRummy

• been here before

• Beast Boy

Yep massive frustration for me that we are still playing him when he has such a negative impact on the overall team. There are 3 issues with playing him.

1. He is rubbish. Properly rubbish. He is a woeful finisher. He can't control the ball. Isn't good with his head. Doesn't have a footballers brain or the skills to bring others in to play. And is soon slow. The only thing going for him is his physicality causes chaos in defences, but...

2. Scottiah refs have decided to referee his play to a different standard to everyone else in Scotland. Defenders have been given free reign to grapple him as much as they like a s foul him when the ball is in the air. The Aberdeen tactic of one man foul Uche while another heads the balls worked wonders. At the same time they now penalise him constantly for the same level of physicality. It's not fair but its reality and we need to adjust to it (same with sending Berra up for corners).

3. Playing Uche turns us in to a "hoof the ball at the big man" team and makes us totally ineffective. Take him out the team and we have to try and play football. With the other players we have that should be feasible. 

None of that is really Uche's fault. Not his fault he isn't good enough. Levein needs to react to the treatment he gets from refs and how bad we are at playing with him as a target man. But fully expect to start with him at Motherwell and try to turn it into a physical battle again. That is an acceptable approach when you have the 3rd or 4th lowest budget in the league. It shouldn't be the preferred style with 3rd or 4th biggest budget.

The Internet

Feel bad for him. Every pass to him is genital height or higher and then everyone moans when he doesn't control it perfectly. Seen what he can do at Aberdeen when he gets the ball into feet and turns, doesn't happen enough.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Shite. That method of trying to take a ball into his body. Having said that did ok with a fiery one from Damour 

brunoatemyhamster

I'd have more respect for Uche if he actually threw his weight at the opposition players and not the ground. If i was him, nobody would want to come anywhere near me at set piece etc. 

I like him but he was honking today. 

Some of the service he got today bordered on criminal. That and the lack of protection from the referee. Shocking on both counts.

fabienleclerq
9 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Feel bad for him. Every pass to him is genital height or higher and then everyone moans when he doesn't control it perfectly. Seen what he can do at Aberdeen when he gets the ball into feet and turns, doesn't happen enough.

No having that, even balls to his feet his second touch was a tackle. He doesn't get himself into a position to take it to feet enough either. 

5 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

Was absolutely brutal today and even worse that Levein played both Walker and Naismith out of position to accommodate him.

This 

14 minutes ago, been here before said:

The best defender Ross County had today. Broke up pretty much every attacking move he was involved in.

Shouldn't laugh but did. Having said that, as others have said Ref's have obviously discussed him and decided not to award fouls against him. Makes no difference if they are blatant AF

Edited by Jamhammer

Needs game time as he is clearly lacking fitness and it is having an effect on his confidence as well.

But he also needs someone to give him purpose on the pitch. What exactly is he being asked to do? I don't know and it looks as if he doesn't either. He isn't the only one mind.

I still feel he’s a valuable asset but he’s been awful so far this season. Really poor. He should sit on the bench for a bit.

After today I feel we need another striker, an actual Targetman who can win things, hold the ball up and not give free kicks away every time. 

So bad I'm actually missing Wighton!

One thing I thought strange though, surely Keena should have been on for him, instead of Henderson. Levein certainly likes his out of cold storage random appearances. 🤣

Service isn’t great and not is the way refs treat him, but his movement is shite too. Glues himself to the nearest centre back and backs into them until someone falls down. Also looked shattered after 50 mins today, which shouldn’t be the case.

Edited by Bellion

He’s garbage. No idea how he gets such adulation from the fans. 3 league goals and never, ever threatens to score. Has no vision, no touch and can’t pick a pass. His fitness is beyond questionable, he looks like has actual put on more muscle weight over the summer. He isn’t helped by the way we play but the boys league two or conference standard at best. We gave him a contract extension as well 😂😂😂😂 some on here still actual think he’ll play in the EPL 😂😂😂😂

Severely lacking on confidence, needs managed through it, I hope that happens as I do think there is a useful player there

All roads lead to Gorgie

His cult status is slipping but I still feel he could bring more if we actually got the wide players to go beyond him and whip the ball in. He isn't the best in the air for his size but he could cause openings for others if we had a competent manager in the dugout to see that. 

Not the player he was at the beginning. As has been alluded to, it just seems to be a recurring tactic to shell the ball at his head from about 60 yards away and expect him to perfectly knock it down to a team mate who isn't even the slightest bit interested in giving him any support up there, whilst he has some ****ing hammer thrower grappling him. And on that note, I really feel for the guy. 

Pisses me off how easy he goes down though, always appealing for free kicks and having his few second long temper tantrum with his hands on his head every time, by which he couldve got up and tried winning the ball back but nah, the other team are way up our end of the pitch by then on a counter 

It is a sad indictment that he is no better than last season, in fact he is noticeably worse. He is still fairly young and raw, surely with our plethora of Coaches they should be working on improving his ability?

Either he ignores what he is taught, or we have no idea of how to improve his overall play. Mind you when you watch us play, he is not alone.......

We seem to think we have to use a player who’s sole aim is to hold the ball up while other teams seem to have good movement and sharp passing in the key areas. 

I do like a player that can play that way, don’t get me wrong, but it’s getting to the stage Uche is becoming such a focal point that if it fails he takes the rap. 

He could be better, I’m not arguing that, there’s times he should maybe look to play the ball off quicker rather than always looking to be a battering ram.

But we need better quality in support of him. Again, I rarely remember a midfielder getting beyond the strikers today. 

Edited by Debut 4

He needs to stay off the weights and get on the treadmill.  Lose some muscle weight and he'd be a bit quicker and more mobile.

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Although he had a poor game today the service to him was abysmal.

Also the decision to take him off for Henderson was shocking.

Know Henderson played well in u21s team but out his depth in first team at this stage in his career unfortunately 

He was very poor today but in his defence everything was launched at him head height, we need to get the ball into his feet,  at least he has a chance of holding onto it then.

Sad to all my pals he'll be found out this season. Obviously don't want that but I'm afraid the way things are looking I could be right. Time will tell

Oneneilberry

I’m a better player than him ..ball ends up 10 yards away from him after his first touch,brutal in the air and goes down really easy.Far too bulky this season and doesn’t look mobile at all.

i’ll add I’m 48 and shite at football.

His strength is taking in the ball in to feet wit his back to goal and either turning defenders or offloading to players in support.

The service we give him is smashed at him above waist height with no players near him to support. Like most of our players, we don't play to his strengths.

39 minutes ago, old school tie said:

Are the old firm still scouting him😂😂

Yes, I am led to believe that Celtic have offered a straight swap deal with Danny McGrain 

1 hour ago, Hot since 86 said:

I like him but he’s clearly not going to get anything from the refs in this country. Pulled and chucked about same as last week - resulted in an Aberdeen breakaway goal last week and a turned down penalty today.

No point picking him if he can’t play his game. 

Get the the bill on the ground into feet for Washington/Walker/Mulraney/Naismith to create.

Not going to happen under this inept management team though

Brought down and the foul given the other way at a crucial point when we might have scored . Refs have made up their mind about him and we will get nothing all season. Still takes 2 or 3 defenders to police him but we can't seem to take advantage of that because the ref sees a foul every time.

I posted early doors last season that this guy was out his depth. He's a centre half's dream ..lile marking a fkg wardrobe. 

13 minutes ago, Oneneilberry said:

I’m a better player than him ..ball ends up 10 yards away from him after his first touch,brutal in the air and goes down really easy.Far too bulky this season and doesn’t look mobile at all.

i’ll add I’m 48 and shite at football.

But hey ho ......you're pretty good at exaggeration

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Correct. We continually fail to play to several players best attributes. Uche is made to look worse due to the service.( his touch was very poor at times too).Washington got little service today. Mulraney comes on and we barely feed him the ball.

Uche gets absolutely no protection from the referees, but he does himself no favours by hitting the deck far too easily. Late on I saw Jamie Walker go for the ball, was challenged from behind, but Jamie stayed on his feet and played a pass. I commented at the time that had that been Uche he would have hit the deck despite being twice the size of Jamie. Uche is fast reminding me of Juanma, without the ability to score goals.

Ive been saying for a while he really isn’t that good. My stepson got a season for the very first year this year with Me and his mum, since he’s earning decent money.

Walking up to first League cup game at home he said I can’t wait to see Uche, and I said I think he’s mince. He steadfastly defended him, and all that happened was, every time he lost the ball, made the wrong decision, I just looked at him shaking my head.

If you are sitting at home, watching a highlights reel and you see a couple of bits of skill, or he rag dolls a defender he looks brilliant. Sadly, the other 86 mins he’s poor. Today was torture. I do feel sorry because legitimately he gets fouled a lot which isn’t given, but he gives away stupid fouls. He should come off the bench to mix things up a bit. With him the defenders easy ball is to fire it forward, and his touch isn’t good enough. He just wants to prove he’s the strongest player around. My stepson shook his head a lot today, and just turned and said I what you mean.