There is no Edinburgh

jake

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/residents-edinburghs-estates-missing-out-18877978

Here's the link Jake would get if he would copy it from his address bar after navigating to the page instead of copying straight off of Google.

It's a good article and it's gratifying to now live in a place where discussions are not just possible, but fruitful, about the folly of "trickle down" and "stimulating the economy" full stop without any analysis of how, or where the money goes.

19 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

That's the guy's point.

I was listening to someone on the Radio about how greed has ruined Edinburgh around the fringe. Air BnB and stuff like that. 

Montgomery Brewster

Totally agree with the article 

Apart from the councillor twat

Edited by Montgomery Brewster

The fringe is amazing. Every year it seems to get bigger. 

How can something that generates so much money for the city be a bad thing. 

Anyone that lives here that cannot find a job during the 6 weeks or so it is on for is an embarrassment to the city and wants to take from it not contribute something towards it 

31 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I was listening to someone on the Radio about how greed has ruined Edinburgh around the fringe. Air BnB and stuff like that. 

I've always liked that we had the festival.

But it really does seem the city is run for anyone bar the folk who live and work in it.

Housing and affordable housing is non existent .

And the councils dealing with homeless families is a disgrace .

1 minute ago, Restonbabe said:

Anyone that lives here that cannot find a job during the 6 weeks or so it is on for is an embarrassment to the city and wants to take from it not contribute something towards it 

A job for 6 weeks woo hoo.

Minimum rate wou hoo

Who gets all the money generated?

1 minute ago, jake said:

But it really does seem the city is run for anyone bar the folk who live and work in it.

I've been hearing this more and more. On the flip side, it's a global event, that puts Edinburgh and Scotland on the map. 

Something needs to been done about these landlords tho. Banking their mortgage on one month a year, while local folk can't get a look in.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, jake said:

Fair comment. 

Tons of money flying around in Edinburgh every August.

Not enough of it goes to local small businesses but gets funneled into the coffers of arseholes like Underbelly and other such predatory large companies.

Too many companies from outside Edinburgh are allowed to run stalls and pop-up bars etc in August and divert money away from local business.

2 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

Read.

It is a complete distraction to blame the festival for the ills of poverty and exclusion.

It is a yearly opportunity to highlight these things though so fair enough. But why wait to August to do this once a year? Campaign for fair wages is a separate thing. 

Got an exclusive for you. Poverty and disadvantage would still exist if we didn't have the festival. 

Got to agree with the overall issue raised. It is a society where money, contacts and influence gives you a good life. And there is serious under investment in the aspects and areas mentioned. Disappointed in government for failing to tackle this. 

Festival generates huge amounts of money, yet Edinburgh council still lacking in cash. Private enterprise benefiting from public land, blind eye turned to some regulations.

Why the hell should we bother paying council tax during August? Plus tourist tax won't come into effect until at least next year...

Edited by kila

Take it to Glasgow.

Edinburgh is too over crowded with mindless posh student twats who think they’re something.

Seymour M Hersh
12 hours ago, JamboSpur said:

Take it to Glasgow.

Edinburgh is too over crowded with mindless posh student twats who think they’re something.

Glasgow would bite your arms and legs off to have the festivals in their shithole of a city. Why do you think they are forever trying to manufacture this or that "Glasgow" festival? And you wouldn't get articles like that one in the Record if it was through there you can be sure of that.  

Having said that the Fringe is being allowed to grow far too large and it's not increasing the quality of the event. The council needs to stop kowtowing to the Fringe.  The Jazz and Blues and Film Festivals moved to July was it because the Fringe reduced the availability of venues for them?

23 hours ago, jake said:

Your above comment and agenda really has no connection to the existence of the festival. Social and economic inequality are not caused by, nor solved by the Edinburgh festival. 

As the bloke in the article said some people only know the festival is on when the buses run late.

It's a fair point made in the original article, and in the Bonny Prince Bob video mentioned.

What's the answer ?

1. Scottish parliament  introduces legislation giving CEC powers to license air b n b.

2. Implement a Tourist Tax;  debated for years now.

Reinvest income from 1 + 2 in areas of the city needing investment.

Simple :smiley2: 

Governor Tarkin
22 hours ago, JamboSpur said:

Take it to Glasgow.

Imagine having the audacity to be confident and self assured.

10 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Imagine having the audacity to be confident and self assured.

It's ridiculous.  I was an Edinburgh student and I can guarantee I certainly wasn't.

I dunno it certainly benefits me financially as I certainly earn more cash during the fringe as a busker. However as a local resident at the canongate, the increase in noise, the take over of the streets by a private organisation and the overall feeling that locals are getting shafted does not sit right with me. 

This year has seen an invasion of jumped up yellow vest penguins squawking at people "get off the road" they are rude, obnoxious arseholes. They are acting like Marshall's but I bet they have zero traffic management training or banksman training. 

It is what it is I suppose. The thing has taken on a life of its own and I dont know if it even be changed now. 

I love the City in August. There's tourists here here now throughout the year, but the hustle and bustle this month is off the scale. Was getting some breakfast in Haymarket this morning and with the sun out, trams going past and the different nationalities and accents, it felt like being somewhere else, London or a big European city. I'd miss it if it wasn't like this each August. 

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:30, Seymour M Hersh said:

Glasgow would bite your arms and legs off to have the festivals in their shithole of a city. Why do you think they are forever trying to manufacture this or that "Glasgow" festival? And you wouldn't get articles like that one in the Record if it was through there you can be sure of that.  

Having said that the Fringe is being allowed to grow far too large and it's not increasing the quality of the event. The council needs to stop kowtowing to the Fringe.  The Jazz and Blues and Film Festivals moved to July was it because the Fringe reduced the availability of venues for them?

Correct, anyone remember the cringe of the Glasgow Mayfest?

I hate the connotations and stereotypes that Edinburgh gets, mostly fuelled by the festival. People think Edinburgh is some perfect place, where everyone has money and lives the life of riley, and the council seem to be happy that people think that.

As the Record article states, some areas of Edinburgh are as impoverished as anywhere you'll find in Glasgow, London etc. But the council don't want to know.