The Sevco saga continues ...

JamboAl

Unknown user
52 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The "Rangers Soap Opera" thread has been split to make it faster to load and manage.  This thread contains the most recent couple of weeks of posts.

The old thread will be closed.

Good idea and good work on the thread title.

I would also have enjoyed The The Rangers Soap Opera Continues or Glasgow Rangers, We Let The Thread Die

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Unknown user

• buzzbomb1958

• Mysterion

Unknown user
48 minutes ago, brunoatemyhamster said:

Make no mistake, I see this as a totally new thread.

Not a continuation. The old thread ceased to be.

Should have put an offer on the 2100 pages and just said it was the same thing. 

RIP 

I believe the mods can sell you the old thread's history.

Cruyff Turn
2 minutes ago, farin said:

Ali’s cave in Turkey are doing a roaring trade in them. 😄

25DC55DF-A70E-4560-910B-FBAD2BFB8BE9.thumb.jpeg.f605d4869825029fea98b7a52ba6f385.jpeg

They are utterly horrific but Bigotry sells. No skin off Ali’s nose. He’ll be making some heafty coinage. I’m surprised he’s not started doing Celtic ones with Tricolours, Crosses and Holographic images of the pope. 😄

35 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I believe the mods can sell you the old thread's history.

Subject to a 5 way agreement of course!

Seymour M Hersh

I quite liked the fact  oldthread  was such a long and winding road of a thread but hey, if it was slow and bankrupt then liquidating it is the correct thing. Now we have newthread. Remind you of anything?:laugh:

Unknown user
47 minutes ago, Maiden Gorgie said:

"JKB CLOSES OLD RANGERS THREAD" just came up on the SSN ticker

Meanwhile FH demands a Celtic thread is closed down too

michael_bolton
On 12/07/2019 at 19:47, Normthebarman said:

Let's not pretend that Rangers don't have a huge, global, worldwide fan base.

Do they? I've never seen any evidence of this.

I've lived in two cities in Poland, I've lived in Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Australia and Korea. I've watched Scottish football in all of those places but have never seen any evidence of a significant Rangers support anywhere.

I gather they have some ex-pat fans in North America. But so do we. I've met the odd Hearts fan everywhere I've been. Do we have a 'global' following?

People in Scotland massively over-state Rangers' reach outside Scotland and NI. Huge in Scotland, but not anywhere else.

TyphoonJambo
7 minutes ago, michael_bolton said:

I've lived in two cities in Poland, I've lived in Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Australia and Korea. I've watched Scottish football in all of those places but have never seen any evidence of a significant Rangers support anywhere.

I gather they have some ex-pat fans in North America. But so do we. I've met the odd Hearts fan everywhere I've been. Do we have a 'global' following?

People in Scotland massively over-state Rangers' reach outside Scotland and NI. Huge in Scotland, but not anywhere else.

Cambridge Toronto full of the scum im afraid to say 

michael_bolton
Just now, TypoonJambo said:

Ok. So they've got some fans in a town in Canada.

Does this make them some kind of global monster?

I don't see how it does. The global reach of Rangers is hugely exaggerated. They are essentially a Scottish phenomenon which is of no relevance almost anywhere else.

TyphoonJambo
1 minute ago, michael_bolton said:

I don't see how it does. The global reach of Rangers is hugely exaggerated. They are essentially a Scottish phenomenon which is of no relevance almost anywhere else.

Personally i look forward to the day they are dead and buried and used as a fairy story to scare kids with. 

michael_bolton
1 minute ago, TypoonJambo said:

Personally i look forward to the day they are dead and buried and used as a fairy story to scare kids with. 

I'm actually surprised society hasn't taken care of Rangers yet. The way it took care of the idea of not wearing a seatbelt in a car or the idea of smoking on a plane.

Bizarre that 21st Century people still tolerate their 19th Century ways.

53 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Meanwhile FH demands a Celtic thread is closed down too

:rofl:

Matthew Le Tissier
9 hours ago, farin said:

Ali’s cave in Turkey are doing a roaring trade in them. 😄

25DC55DF-A70E-4560-910B-FBAD2BFB8BE9.thumb.jpeg.f605d4869825029fea98b7a52ba6f385.jpeg

The 3rd to the right is real, seen a boy in Motherwell wearing it 🤦‍♂️

9 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

They are utterly horrific but Bigotry sells. No skin off Ali’s nose. He’ll be making some heafty coinage. I’m surprised he’s not started doing Celtic ones with Tricolours, Crosses and Holographic images of the pope. 😄

The amount of these fake tops you see at Ibrox is ridiculous. I remember before the pop up shops last year, fans actually digging out other fans for buying the official top from Fat Mike instead of the fake tops 😂😂 weird bunch. 

Unknown user
18 minutes ago, Matthew Le Tissier said:

The 3rd to the right is real, seen a boy in Motherwell wearing it 🤦‍♂️

I've seen them all at my work, other versions too.

It's enough to give you the boke

SuperstarSteve

Rangers having a worldwide fanbase is a total myth. 

Worldwide fan base but not one person put their hand In their pocket during the clubs most important time in their history? 

Our so called mediocre fan base proved that real fans do what they can for the club they support and that in reality we are a much bigger club than they ever will be, saving your club is as big as it gets for anyone wanting to debate rangers being bigger.

Worldwide **** all. A couple of glory hunting bandwagon jumpers that’s all they have got and all they ever will have. 

Edited by SuperstarSteve

10 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Rangers having a worldwide fanbase is a total myth. 

Worldwide fan base but not one person put their hand In their pocket during the clubs most important time in their history? 

Our so called mediocre fan base proved that real fans do what they can for the club they support and that in reality we are a much bigger club than they ever will be, saving your club is as big as it gets for anyone wanting to debate rangers being bigger.

Worldwide **** all. A couple of glory hunting bandwagon jumpers that’s all they have got and all they ever will have. 

Every club has a worldwide fanbase.

What Rangers (and Celtic) suggest is that they have some sort of presence because some expats in Australia or Florida have a supporters club bar. 

It's fair to say that Rangers do have a worldwide fanbase but in context they are the Hamilton of worldwide fanbases in comparison to Manchester Utd etc. 

1 hour ago, michael_bolton said:

I would suggest that they are a phenomenon based in Scotland, unfortunately. There's not a great deal Scottish about them.

kirkierobroy

Curious deflection story in The Herald today;

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17818989.disabled-area-repaired-year-kilmarnock-v-rangers-roof-collapse/

And the story's not even by The Herald's main Rangers Press Release transcriber, Chris Jack.

The subtext is 'Ra wee diddy team should huv fixed the roof of their area fur cripples so that we could jump oan it as is wur right innat.'

Oddly, have actually been in the Rugby Park away disabled area (Killie - ICT cup tie yonks ago when Invernessian Mrs Kirkierobroy had a leg in plaster). Even at the time the roof struck me as perfectly adequate for keeping the rain off, but untested for supporting the weight of fat bigoted drunks jumping up and down.

annushorribilis III
12 minutes ago, kirkierobroy said:

Curious deflection story in The Herald today;

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17818989.disabled-area-repaired-year-kilmarnock-v-rangers-roof-collapse/

And the story's not even by The Herald's main Rangers Press Release transcriber, Chris Jack.

The subtext is 'Ra wee diddy team should huv fixed the roof of their area fur cripples so that we could jump oan it as is wur right innat.'

Oddly, have actually been in the Rugby Park away disabled area (Killie - ICT cup tie yonks ago when Invernessian Mrs Kirkierobroy had a leg in plaster). Even at the time the roof struck me as perfectly adequate for keeping the rain off, but untested for supporting the weight of fat bigoted drunks jumping up and down.

"One man was injured as the roof of a disabled shelter collapsed"...disabled shelter exercises free will. 🙄 Herald uses "senior news reporter" for this ?  What' the betting a Rangers fan in Ayrshire grassed up the club ? 

upgotheheads
23 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

"One man was injured as the roof of a disabled shelter collapsed"...disabled shelter exercises free will. 🙄 Herald uses "senior news reporter" for this ?  What' the betting a Rangers fan in Ayrshire grassed up the club ? 

You can be pretty sure that East Ayrshire Council, who appear to be climbing on the Sevco bandwagon, are full of Sevco supporters.

IveSeenTheLight
13 hours ago, brunoatemyhamster said:

Make no mistake, I see this as a totally new thread.

Not a continuation. The old thread ceased to be.

Should have put an offer on the 2100 pages and just said it was the same thing. 

RIP 

HeHe. I like it, but in terms of a response to the offer, I hope it was "No, you canna buy the history now **** off".

Big Slim Stylee
4 hours ago, michael_bolton said:

No you’re wrong.  North America is absolutely heaving with them. 

michael_bolton
6 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Heaving in what sense?

Are Rangers games routinely broadcast on tv? Is Rangers merchandise available commonly? Would your average North American resident have heard of them and know what they are?

Is it known for people born in North America and with no connection to Rangers through a parent to support the club (or even to have heard of them)?

Or do you just mean that lots of Scottish people live in North America and a good number of them are obviously Rangers fans?

Barcelona are a global club. Manchester United are a global club.

Rangers are not a global club. To pretend they are is silly. A few expats doesn't cut it. You could say that about any reasonably-sized club from a country with any kind of diaspora.

Edited by michael_bolton

annushorribilis III
13 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Agreed - but the point is they are not a club with global reach and that was confirmed by one of the senior figures of the original club.

"Rangers’ so-called global appeal is a myth," he said.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/adam-shakes-ibrox-pillars-with-warning-of-bankruptcy-1-595808

Edited by annushorribilis III
add detail

michael_bolton
2 minutes ago, CF11JamTart said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/adam-shakes-ibrox-pillars-with-warning-of-bankruptcy-1-595808

An old article in The Scotsman with Hugh Adam. His view was that "Rangers' so-called global appeal is a myth".

A decent read. A lot of it was quite prescient. 

I remember reading that before. It's interesting that such a 'big' club in terms of local fanbase and success just doesn't travel.

I've genuinely never encountered any kind of Rangers 'community' anywhere I've been.

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, michael_bolton said:

Out of interest, what has been your experience of Celtic fans in the countries you have lived?

I'd imagine the itinerant Irish connection may afford them greater reach/appeal.

CF11JamTart
4 minutes ago, michael_bolton said:

I remember reading that before. It's interesting that such a 'big' club in terms of local fanbase and success just doesn't travel.

I've genuinely never encountered any kind of Rangers 'community' anywhere I've been.

Similarly, I've lived in England and Wales.

Much less of a noticeable West of Scotland / Ulster protestant diaspora than the Irish / Wannabe Irish diaspora.

Hate to break to news, Rangers,  but you're a club with limited global appeal.

Edited by CF11JamTart
Typo

michael_bolton
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Out of interest, what has been your experience of Celtic fans in the countries you have lived?

I'd imagine the itinerant Irish connection may afford them greater reach/appeal.

Krakow was full of them and Seoul had a big Celtic supporters club that came out of the woodwork when an Old Firm game was on, but for run-of-the-mill games you'd only ever see a handful of them.

I've seen busy pubs full of Celtic fans in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth, WA.

Kuala Lumpur has a lively Hearts mob which is bigger than any other group I've seen there. Good crowd out for the cup final back in May. Apparently there was a group of Celtic fans elsewhere in the city, but one of my mates was in the pub the Celtic fans were supposedly in and he says there was no sign of them.

I know Bangkok has a decent-sized Celtic supporters' club because a Jambo I know who lives there quite often has to watch us play Celtic with them.

Big Slim Stylee
35 minutes ago, michael_bolton said:

Heaving in what sense?

Are Rangers games routinely broadcast on tv? Is Rangers merchandise available commonly? Would your average North American resident have heard of them and know what they are?

Is it known for people born in North America and with no connection to Rangers through a parent to support the club (or even to have heard of them)?

Or do you just mean that lots of Scottish people live in North America and a good number of them are obviously Rangers fans?

Barcelona are a global club. Manchester United are a global club.

Rangers are not a global club. To pretend they are is silly. A few expats doesn't cut it. You could say that about any reasonably-sized club from a country with any kind of diaspora.

Heaving in the sense that there’s a very large NA Rangers Supporters Association with over 50 clubs, mainly on the East and West Coasts of USA.

Look nobody’s saying they are a Barcelona. But the ex-pat bears are  very large in numbers.

And maybe it’s the distance, but they tend to be even more rabid and insufferable than they are on home soil if that’s possible. 😀

Sub4TiddlerMurray
58 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

HeHe. I like it, but in terms of a response to the offer, I hope it was "No, you canna buy the history now **** off".

Newthreadco ...it has no history

Edited by Sub4TiddlerMurray

I am just amazed this saga has lasted 7 plus years without another insolvency, They are a rogue and criminal entity in my opinion, full of misplaced arrogance and self entitlement. Sooner or later the tribute hubris filled new club is going down in flames. 

48 minutes ago, michael_bolton said:

Saw your comment and having moved to NC last year, can't recall seeing too many ,if any, Rangers supporters here so far. So googled it and on the club website is a summary and there is one here interestingly:

https://rangers.co.uk/fans/supporters-clubs/global-supporters-clubs/

I got told by a rangers fan today that one of the guys who gave the club a loan is demanding it back as he fears that the court case against MA and the compo they will have to pay will basically put the club back in admin. 

Obviously I don’t know how true this is but it did make me smirk at him especially since when MA first got involved with them he told me they will win the European cup in 5 years. He obviously doesn’t follow English football or Newcastle lol. 

Hoping someone on here with a bit more knowledge on their fiasco knows a bit more on this. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Not in my experience. Zero interest in the cup final when they lost to hibs. It wasn't even on TV, such is the huge demand from their huge fan base. 

The Real Maroonblood
53 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

I am just amazed this saga has lasted 7 plus years without another insolvency, They are a rogue and criminal entity in my opinion, full of misplaced arrogance and self entitlement. Sooner or later the tribute hubris filled new club is going down in flames. 

I agree.

We keep hearing they are still in a financial mess and down the tubes.

Unfortunately after all these years the stench from them is still here.

8 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

There was a large number of immigrants from Scotland to the Toronto area in the 1950s and 1960s. As a result, fans clubs for Rangers, Celtic, and Hearts sprang up.

But the years have taken their inevitable toll. Although there are still fans clubs around, they are now much smaller than they used to be and they are filled with old men. I doubt if there will be many left in 10-15 years.

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, millano77 said:

I got told by a rangers fan today that one of the guys who gave the club a loan is demanding it back as he fears that the court case against MA and the compo they will have to pay will basically put the club back in admin. 

Obviously I don’t know how true this is but it did make me smirk at him especially since when MA first got involved with them he told me they will win the European cup in 5 years. He obviously doesn’t follow English football or Newcastle lol. 

Hoping someone on here with a bit more knowledge on their fiasco knows a bit more on this. 

It's a bit late now as the last of the "investor" loans were converted to shares at the end of last week.

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

It's a bit late now as the last of the "investor" loans were converted to shares at the end of last week.

Cheers. I was hoping you would reply as you seem to know the ins and outs. 

CF11JamTart
Just now, farin said:

The persecution complex gets bigger. 😊

A1652544-C680-4B9A-811B-B945C9459461.thumb.jpeg.8f006f6ff78bb68c0acb94d83677913c.jpeg

They always used to seem to like blatant mis-reporting and one-sided nature when Murray was feeding them the finesy succulent lamb.

21 minutes ago, farin said:

The persecution complex gets bigger. 😊

A1652544-C680-4B9A-811B-B945C9459461.thumb.jpeg.8f006f6ff78bb68c0acb94d83677913c.jpeg

I actually agree with the headline as far as the MSM is concerned. 

It will fall on deaf ears though. There are some pretty stupid people about. 

Unknown user
6 hours ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Heaving in the sense that there’s a very large NA Rangers Supporters Association with over 50 clubs, mainly on the East and West Coasts of USA.

Look nobody’s saying they are a Barcelona. But the ex-pat bears are  very large in numbers.

And maybe it’s the distance, but they tend to be even more rabid and insufferable than they are on home soil if that’s possible. 😀

The only hun abroad are expats or related to expats, that's the difference. There's no vast expanse of thais buying into the global hun brand, dreaming of Govan and sash bashes, thank god.

39 minutes ago, Boab said:

I actually agree with the headline as far as the MSM is concerned. 

It will fall on deaf ears though. There are some pretty stupid people about. 

Don't think that particular club have a case here though, the media goes out of their way to pander to them. 

• cosanostra changed the title to Sevco are as stupid as we thought