Locomotiv Leipzig 1976

Radio Ga Ga

Radio Ga Ga

One of my favourite ever Hearts games, I’ll probably be in that photo somewhere as I was definitely on the pitch at full time...

(As an aside I went to that midweek match on my own with my mates as a 13YO, FFS my wife can’t sleep until our 20 something is home safe and sound, different times)

9AC83B0A-41B5-471B-A848-049B7A12F727.jpeg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• martoon

• Tommy Brown

• Mr Sifter

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was a fantastic night. Went with my celtic supporting mate and he was going as daft as me by the end. Changed days

Robbo-Jambo

A night that was so long ago but still sticks in the memory as being very vivid. 

Amazing game with a cracking atmosphere. 

Fantastic night, although don't think we were doing very well in the league at the time. 

I remember feeling deflated when after we had scored twice to draw level on aggregate they scored to make it 2-1  - as that meant we needed to score another two to go through.   

...and I remember  Busby's delicate cross for #5 😬

John Findlay

Was there with my dad. I was 13 and in the North enclosure. Jim Brown right in front of us and as soon as his cross left his foot we knew it was going in. To this day still one of my favourite Hearts performances ever. The highlights with Alan Weekes commentary. Just superb.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
2 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

One of my favourite ever Hearts games, I’ll probably be in that photo somewhere as I was definitely on the pitch at full time...

(As an aside I went to that midweek match on my own with my mates as a 13YO, FFS my wife can’t sleep until our 20 something is home safe and sound, different times)

Makes no sense at all given today is much safer because everyone is far more connected. Problem is folk are far more paranoid because of being deluged by news stories 24/7.

Anyway must’ve been an epic.

The only downer resulting from that game is in the next round, when we lost 4-2 away to Hamburg, me thinking 4-2 away defeat is better than the 2-0 away defeat to Leipzig, cos we've got a couple of away goals, so the home tie against Hamburg is easier than it was against Leipzig.  Got fecked 4-1 at home to Hamburg who were different class.  Only consolation is that they went on to win the tournament.

5 hours ago, RobNox said:

The only downer resulting from that game is in the next round, when we lost 4-2 away to Hamburg, me thinking 4-2 away defeat is better than the 2-0 away defeat to Leipzig, cos we've got a couple of away goals, so the home tie against Hamburg is easier than it was against Leipzig.  Got fecked 4-1 at home to Hamburg who were different class.  Only consolation is that they went on to win the tournament.

I remember feeling the same way.

I wasn't at the Leipzig game, unfortunately, but my dad took me to the Hamburg tie. Anticipated, even possibly expected, a repeat but lightning didn't strike twice. 

The swiftness and accuracy of HSV's passing and counters were a revelation to the 8 year old me at the time. Far too good for us, sadly. 

Edited by martoon

It was bloody hard running onto the pitch with platform shoes on , and my A line jeans were aw muddy on the bottom 😄

Montgomery Brewster
8 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Before my time chief but imagine my dad would have been there. 

Sounds similar to the slavia prague game I was at. That was a cracking game. 

What at was the crowd at the Leipzig game?

Mind it well plus the confidence in overturning Hamburg next ( mmm Felix Magath was running the midfield )

great night ,on the pitch and loving it.

home to watch a swimming commentator mix up players names on the highlights 

Allan Weeks.😂😂

Leipzig were fancied to do well.

The Treasurer

I remember getting home from that game and when my dad noticed my shoes were covered in mud I got a right telling off for going an the pitch !!

Although I suspect he would have been on there himself if he could have climbed over the wall :laugh2:

9 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

I am in that scramble somewhere!!

My first European experience at Tynecastle. I was 10 and whilst the memories are quite vague, I do remember the pitch invasion (I was with my big cousin and he wouldn’t take me on the pitch. I was gutted). I seem to remember the Hamburg game a little better and the speed and precision of their passing. It may be my memory playing tricks but I seem to think they played a pressing game and we just looked very rushed every time we had the ball. No idea if that’s the case or just something I’ve decided over the years as the memory fades further into the abyss. 

The Goalscoring Knee
57 minutes ago, dode said:

home to watch a swimming commentator mix up players names on the highlights 

Allan Weeks.😂😂

TBF, I thought he did quite a good job for someone who probably thought he'd drawn the short straw and had to get the map out.

Joy in his voice as the fourth and fifth ones went in.😂

Found myself in a club afterwards with a one armed bandit and won a jackpot of sixpenses.

Ergo that must have been before decimisation.

Tremendous night. Ended up a bit tired and emotional.

Wilson Wood, Would You?
2 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Ergo that must have been before decimisation.

I think decimalisation happened in February 1971

3fingersreid

I was standing underneath the pylon that the light is beaming down from in the picture , that food kiosk with the scoreboard on it used to sell wagon wheels so big they could’ve been used on a wagon in an old John Wayne cowboy film*.

*might be a slight exaggeration 😂

TorinoJambo

My favourite European game. It pished down all day and we played a high tempo game. By the way, Loco were a TOP side, nabbing the best East German talent every year (Dukla Praha did the same in Czechoslovakia and Steauea Bucharest in Romania-one of the perks of the establishment in communist countries at the time). 

Edited by TorinoJambo

upgotheheads
14 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

I was there, aged about 26, can't remember if I was wearing flares though. 

ming the merciless

Magnificent game, still one of my all time favourites. Mental. Went with 2 mates, 1 Rangers & 1 Celtic. Both been Hearts fans ever since. 

upgotheheads
3 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

I was standing underneath the pylon that the light is beaming down from in the picture , that food kiosk with the scoreboard on it used to sell wagon wheels so big they could’ve been used on a wagon in an old John Wayne cowboy film*.

*might be a slight exaggeration 😂

Were the wagon wheels bigger or were you just a lot smaller?

The White Cockade

best game ever

was in the old enclosure

great performance considering how poor we were in the late 70's

3fingersreid
7 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Were the wagon wheels bigger or were you just a lot smaller?

That’s the $1000 question 😂😂

4 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

best game ever

was in the old enclosure

great performance considering how poor we were in the late 70's

And we ended up relegated that season.  

Lancaster Jambo

I remember it vividly. It was a foggy Wednesday night as we travelled in from Haddington. We were apprehensive it might be called off, but conditions improved considerably on our arrival and the match went ahead.

If my memory serves me correctly we qualified for the competition as defeated Scottish Cup Finalists. The Hu...I mean Rangers were victorious 3 - 1 that afternoon. Derek Johnstone actually scored before KO (3 o' clock GMT) because the ref started proceedings too early. I attended that debacle as well. I think Graham Shaw got our goal? We paid at a cash gate at Hampden to get in (changed days!).

However I'm rambling, as usual. What a fabulous European evening. We were 2 - 0 down from the first leg in Germany. They also scored in Edinburgh, but goals from Roy Kay, Wullie Gibson(2), Jim Brown and Drew Busby took us through to the next round. 

Jim Broon's miss-hit cross ended up in the far corner of the net I recall, and the 5th was the 'icing on the cake'. 

As an aside: Wullie Gibson (scored twice that night). I always admired Gibson. He scored over a hundred goals for the club during a period when we were regularly relegated and pretty dreadful to watch. It was a commendable achievement to score that many goals in what were poor sides. However he was regularly the target of the 'boo boys' amongst the home support. I'd welcome the views of the regulars at Tynie (on this issue) during that time. I was 18 then, and perhaps saw things differently?

Lancaster Jambo

locomotiv leipzig.jpg

iwasthere1954

I remember reading the report from the first game in East Germany in the Evening News. Can't remember who the Jorno was but at the end of the game an East German had scribbled on a piece of paper "what kind of football is that" and held it against the press box window. I'd liked to have seen the twats face after the second game. Wonderful night.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
On 06/08/2019 at 11:59, TorinoJambo said:

My favourite European game. It pished down all day and we played a high tempo game. By the way, Loco were a TOP side, nabbing the best East German talent every year (Dukla Praha did the same in Czechoslovakia and Steauea Bucharest in Romania-one of the perks of the establishment in communist countries at the time). 

Pretty much like Celtic and Rangers have done here for ... oh, pretty much forever.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

And another "I was there".  As soon as the final whistle went, I was oot and up onto Slateford Road, into the bakers for a dozen rolls still warm from the ovens and then on a 4 bus back to Bingham.  The auld yins were waiting for the rolls and I got in in time to get a hot buttered roll and can of export, then sit doon to watch the highlights.  My faither was one of those who hated to know the score when watchign a game on the TV.  I didn't tell him,, but he could see from my "demeanour" that it hadn't gone badly.  As with so many others above, definitely my top European night and one of my best nights ever in the Shed.

(Ah, the Shed.... Need to stop now, before the greetin' shorts the keyboard).

HillmanHearts

Craigmount School Pipe Band marched round the pitch before the match.

Thought it was a lucky omen so got them back for the Hamburg game !

Didn't quite work out quite so well  :smile:

I had only started going occasionally to games for about a year at the time of this match and I think the experience of that night was responsible for me starting to want to go more regularly. It was some night and the place was rocking all right!

I did go on the pitch at the end but I was a bit of a feardy and I just ran up the inside of the touchline for about 10 yards,just so I could say I’d been on the pitch at Tyncastle!

On 06/08/2019 at 06:20, martoon said:

I remember feeling the same way.

I wasn't at the Leipzig game, unfortunately, but my dad took me to the Hamburg tie. Anticipated, even possibly expected, a repeat but lightning didn't strike twice. 

The swiftness and accuracy of HSV's passing and counters were a revelation to the 8 year old me at the time. Far too good for us, sadly. 

Pretty sure Hamburg went on to win the trophy. Yep, beat defending champs Anderlecht in the final.

Edited by Riccarton3

36 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Pretty sure Hamburg went on to win the trophy. Yep, beat defending champs Anderlecht in the final.

Went on to win the Bundesliga (twice I think) and the European Cup. Kevin Keegan was part of some of that success, I'm sure. 

Never forgotten how quick they were going forward and the stony silence when they scored their first 2.

I also recall the Hamburg game

The muscles on the players legs where miles ahead of Scottish teams

Fitness was at a different level