Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup

Matthew Le Tissier

Big love in at Ballymena on the cards?

Waterford for us though. Good tie for the lads but let's be crystal clear, winnable tie and a chance to pick up some glassware

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Ronald Villiers

• Saint Jambo

• RobboM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a fair trip! Would love to go but I've got a 30th that weekend. A good chance of getting through too.

Our under 21's seem to get further each year in this tourney, and we seem to out do a lot of the other colts teams. Makes it all the more laughable that they only consider the OF colt teams playing in the SPFL.

5 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

What a weird draw. Supposedly not seeded but 5 pots. One for the Scottish teams and one each for each of the other nations with two teams in each of those pots. This was explained by Neil Doncaster as ensuring that two 'overseas' teams from the same nation wouldn't play each other. But actually it was drawn in a way that ensured that no overseas teams could play each other (the first 8 ties were a team from an overseas pot then a Scottish team). So effectively the overseas teams were seeds. They could have done the draw far more simply with only two pots (one for overseas teams, one for Scottish teams). Along with Neil Doncaster informing us that all 10 Labrokes Premiership clubs would enter the draw at this round, the whole thing was very amateur hour.

Mostly true, but the way they did it ensured a balance of home/away ties for each of the separate "overseas" countries too. A single overseas pot wouldn't necessarily have done that

6 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

What a weird draw. Supposedly not seeded but 5 pots. One for the Scottish teams and one each for each of the other nations with two teams in each of those pots. This was explained by Neil Doncaster as ensuring that two 'overseas' teams from the same nation wouldn't play each other. But actually it was drawn in a way that ensured that no overseas teams could play each other (the first 8 ties were a team from an overseas pot then a Scottish team). So effectively the overseas teams were seeds. They could have done the draw far more simply with only two pots (one for overseas teams, one for Scottish teams). Along with Neil Doncaster informing us that all 10 Labrokes Premiership clubs would enter the draw at this round, the whole thing was very amateur hour.

It was 100% seeded. The strongest Scottish teams were with the other countries. 

19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The following fixtures take place over that week

Scotland U21s - San Marino, Croatia 

Nothing for the other age groups incl U19s

Thanks Mikey

I guess Zanatta, Petkov and Keena could be called up by their respective FAs too though

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Are Waterford supporters custodians of Derry's walls or old brigade affiliates?

You know where Waterford is, right ?

5 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Thanks Mikey

I guess Zanatta, Petkov and Keena could be called up by their respective FAs too though

Canada play Cuba that weekend

Bulgaria U21s and Ireland U21s may have games. So we could be weakened a bit. 

1 hour ago, Four faces said:

Aye  smartarse.They refer to first team coaching as watching the youths and first team is like two different philosophies.

How would you know Jurgen?

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It was 100% seeded. The strongest Scottish teams were with the other countries. 

Not if you watch the draw. All the Scottish teams were in a single pot. Leading for example to Invernes drawing Greenock, despite being 11 and 13 in the numbering.

8 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Mostly true, but the way they did it ensured a balance of home/away ties for each of the separate "overseas" countries too. A single overseas pot wouldn't necessarily have done that

If that was the rationale, perhaps that is what they should have explained. Is that balance really important? I can see balancing home/away across all the overseas teams but not sure why it matters that one Welsh team is at home and the other away. Generally not a fan of overly manufactured draws.

Dalstonjambo
44 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Going to be a good laugh when Cove Rangers go to Connah's Quay and get a win isnt it?

Edited by Dalstonjambo

1 minute ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Going to be a good laugh when Cove Rangers go to Connah's Quay and get a win isnt it?

Tie of the round

23 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Big love in at Ballymena on the cards?

Waterford for us though. Good tie for the lads but let's be crystal clear, winnable tie and a chance to pick up some glassware

Our resident Melbourne Ballymenan can cinfirm, but I was sure Ballymena is where both sides tend to get on ok.

Edited by DETTY29

27 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Image result for first world war memorial in waterford

For balance , they also have a poignant memorial to John Condon,  the youngest allied soldier to die in World War 1. Beautiful city Waterford. Good weekend if any jambos plan on going.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Deary me😂

My mother in her Hyacinth Bucket years loved the stuff 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

My mother in her Hyacinth Bucket years loved the stuff 

Did she pronounce it Bouquet😂

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Kelty Hearts vs Solihull Moors.     Toughy for Kelty that one.

Now I understand the presence of Welsh, N Irish and Irish clubs but, apart from losing out in the National League play-offs,  how does Solihull Moors qualify?  

2 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Now I understand the presence of Welsh, N Irish and Irish clubs but, apart from losing out in the National League play-offs,  how does Solihull Moors qualify?  

Must be National League position 

14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Must be National League position 

I checked it out.  It is the 2 clubs that finished highest in the National League that missed out on promotion to League 2.  What threw me was Wrexham, as they are considered as English. 

afanderson33
4 hours ago, Jammy T said:

The first team gets constantly boo’d?

Remember the Levein haters calling card is that Levein is all over the entire football side of the club like a dictator - so he is as responsible for this as anyone.

Anyone who watches the reserves and younger age groups knows the style of play is drastically different in the first team. Levein does not set the reserves up to play long ball to a big striker, to bypass midfield, to play containment football. I'm sympathetic to Levein's plight but he's not the one working on tactics with these young players weekly.

1 hour ago, afanderson33 said:

Anyone who watches the reserves and younger age groups knows the style of play is drastically different in the first team. Levein does not set the reserves up to play long ball to a big striker, to bypass midfield, to play containment football. I'm sympathetic to Levein's plight but he's not the one working on tactics with these young players weekly.

My recollection though of back when the Director of Football role was first introduced and explained to us was precisely to address the above point.

The DoF would ensure consistency over time as the 1st team coach would be brought in to continue the "philosophy", signings would slot into that approach and we wouldn't end up with a change of coach resulting in wholescale personnel changes in the playing staff.

Also, the DoF would ensure consistency across the club so that a Left Back in the U17s could slot into the Reserves and a Reserves player could fit comfortably in to the 1st team understanding exactly what was expected of them and how they fit in with team mates. Nb I don't have any links back to statements at the time but it is what I understood the benefits of DoF were meant to bring.

I'd agree with you though that watching the Reserves last season and the 1st team across the same period, there does feel like a disconnect.

Edited by RobboM

Portable Badger
26 minutes ago, RobboM said:

My recollection though of back when the Director of Football role was first introduced and explained to us was precisely to address the above point.

The DoF would ensure consistency over time as the 1st team coach would be brought in to continue the "philosophy", signings would slot into that approach and we wouldn't end up with a change of coach resulting in wholescale personnel changes in the playing staff.

Also, the DoF would ensure consistency across the club so that a Left Back in the U17s could slot into the Reserves and a Reserves player could fit comfortably in to the 1st team understanding exactly what was expected of them and how they fit in with team mates. Nb I don't have any links back to statements at the time but it is what I understood the benefits of DoF were meant to bring.

I'd agree with you though that watching the Reserves last season and the 1st team across the same period, there does feel like a disconnect.

Craig has been quoted saying that the Youth play the way ALL teams will play for the club BUT ,since most of the 1st team have not gone through that same coaching at our academy, when the Youth play in the 1st team the Youth will have to adapt their style to suit the senior players.  

It's about critical mass - when the majority of the 1st team have come through the academy then they will play how they have been trained through the academy.   So it will take another 2-3 years I would imagine before we see that transition in playing style.

Would love to think there could be 200 or so Jambos there to cheer the team on.  Must be plenty of us in Ireland plus the stalwarts who will actually travel from Scotland to see it.  They are PHM and W.

2 hours ago, Portable Badger said:

Craig has been quoted saying that the Youth play the way ALL teams will play for the club BUT ,since most of the 1st team have not gone through that same coaching at our academy, when the Youth play in the 1st team the Youth will have to adapt their style to suit the senior players.  

It's about critical mass - when the majority of the 1st team have come through the academy then they will play how they have been trained through the academy.   So it will take another 2-3 years I would imagine before we see that transition in playing style.

Thanks Badger

Thing is to me it sounds like a Catch 22. Academy players coming through do so (often) for reasons of short term expediency, have to play in a different style, struggle to adapt and are discarded as not up to scratch. Meanwhile journeymen pro players fill the ranks of the 1st team blocking opportunities and that critical mass always remains on the horizon 2-3 years away.

8 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Glenavon trying to find Formartine might be fun. 

Rangers away at Ballymena 🤨

Cove to beat Connah’s Quay would be enjoyable.

1 hour ago, Big Moysey said:

Does Baur get to play for us or does Bonnyrigg loan call dibs?

Hearts have first shout on loan players as petkov played for us on Tuesday and Clyde were 

Playing on Tuesday as well in same cup

37 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I will probably watch this. Last season, cos CQN got to the final they were on S4C a few times. 

I wonder if the Waterford v Hearts Colts will be on Irish telly somewhere.  Sat/Sun 7/8th of September.

SC4 is easily available online including BBC iplayer 

5 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Yeah, thats where I watched CKN v Edinburgh City.

I was wondering if maybe Irish telly would be showing the game, but probably not. 

Maybe. Decent shout. Getting Irish tv might be trickier. 

Just now, Zlatanable said:

That weekend is the international break, Scotland play Russia at Hampden on Friday 6th September. So should be a full strength Hearts Colts team. 

I hope it is on telly, prob won't be though. 

Hearts have never played Waterford before. 

Hearts have no one in the Scotland U21 squad, the only other internationals on though Petkov and Zanatta could be away. 

On 14/08/2019 at 19:45, Kiwidoug said:

Would love to think there could be 200 or so Jambos there to cheer the team on.  Must be plenty of us in Ireland plus the stalwarts who will actually travel from Scotland to see it.  They are PHM and W.

I'll be driving over from Tipperary with 3 converted Irish Jambos for this. Be great if w could take a decent support to. Also Waterford is a decent night out and a nice city. 

My wife reckons better flying in to Cork.

Also would be sonething a wee bit different to Dublin.

Akso Ryanair are doing 9.99 flights just now if you book by Wednesday.

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

My wife reckons better flying in to Cork.

Also would be sonething a wee bit different to Dublin.

Akso Ryanair are doing 9.99 flights just now if you book by Wednesday.

Pretty much the same time, Cork 1h 45 and Dublin 1h 50. More flights into Dublin. Cork is a far better day/ night out

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I wonder if they sell Caramel wafers in Ireland. 

Best get this game in or Brexit might screw up the freebies 

On 19/08/2019 at 19:40, Zlatanable said:

That weekend is the international break, Scotland play Russia at Hampden on Friday 6th September. (So should be a full strength Hearts Colts team.)EDIT  Wait, maybe some away at the U-21 game

I hope it is on telly, prob won't be though. 

Hearts have never played Waterford before. 

Petkov called up for Bulgaria U21s

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/petkov-called-up-for-under-21s