Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup

Matthew Le Tissier

One for some of those at the game. Did anyone else enjoy Burns' Alan Partridge impression in the first half?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Ronald Villiers

• Saint Jambo

• RobboM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tommy Walker
2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Got me there.

When I was at Edinburgh Uni 69-73 Moray House was a teacher's college - no ?

Best

TW

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Great night’s football. The turtle has obviously started to get the upper hand in the battle with the spider beneath the dark tower.

Preach It brother 👍🏻

Footballfirst

On performances: 

Stone's handling was excellent, but still seemed a bit nervous with his defence. The coaches were encouraging him to communicate more. Was lucky when Cowden's goal was chalked off.

Logan basically had a free pass to get up the park in an attacking sense and made the most of it.

Petkov decent performance with no great highlights or errors

Hamilton was the best of the defenders, who all played pretty well. He reads the game so well and gets in the right place at the right time.   

Baur had his best game for a while, didn't dive into challenges and won most of his tackles. His headed goal was a collectors item and his team mates celebrations seemed to echo it.

Ritchie was quietly efficient and effective. He was caught on his heels a couple of times but generally payed well. Sat a bit too deep in the first half for my liking.

Burns put in a good shift working had to win tackles and headers. Was unlucky not to score early on with a great strike from teh edge of the box.

Cochrane had a disappointing first half although he was caught by a couple of hard tackles. Came onto a game once Cowden went down to 10 men and he was able to start making telling forward passes without being under pressure. One pass inside the fullback to Logan was in the Scott Allen class.:whistling:

McDonald always carried Hearts greatest threat. Tidy on the ball, but tended to want to keep on dribbling rather than take on an early shot.

Keena always willing to put in the runs and make himself available, but not really his night with his first touch not being the best. His penalty summed up his night, well struck, but no finesse or confidence to put it away from the keeper.

Zanatta always a threat with his pace and running and got better as the game went on. Also guilty of taking a couple of touches too many when a shot was on.   

Edited by Footballfirst

47 minutes ago, Tommy Walker said:

When I was at Edinburgh Uni 69-73 Moray House was a teacher's college - no ?

Best

TW

Yes.  It was called Moray House Demonstration School until 1963 and was an adjunct to the training college.  It closed that year and I spent my 4th year of secondary Education at the Darroch Acedemy for the Sons of Gentlefolk in the company if JTF Robertson amongst other stalwart Jambos.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Hearts through, Kelty Hearts through and Celtic put of two cups on the same night.

My mood has brightened considerably.

And of course Hearts U11s beating Hibs 8-1. How could I have left that out.  

Funtime Jambo
53 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

On performances: 

Stone's handling was excellent, but still seemed a bit nervous with his defence. The coaches were encouraging him to communicate more. Was lucky when Cowden's goal was chalked off.

Logan basically had a free pass to get up the park in an attacking sense and made the most of it.

Hamilton was the best of the defenders, who all played pretty well. He reads the game so well and gets in the right place at the right time.   

Baur had his best game for a while, didn't dive into challenges and won most of his tackles. His headed goal was a collectors item and his team mates celebrations seemed to echo it.

Ritchie was quietly efficient and effective. He was caught on his heels a couple of times but generally payed well. Sat a bit too deep in the first half for my liking.

Burns put in a good shift working had to win tackles and headers. Was unlucky not to score early on with a great strike from teh edge of the box.

Cochrane had a disappointing first half although he was caught by a couple of hard tackles. Came onto a game once Cowden went down to 10 men and he was able to start making telling forward passes without being under pressure. One pass inside the fullback to Logan was in the Scott Allen class.:whistling:

McDonald always carried Hearts greatest threat. Tidy on the ball, but tended to want to keep on dribbling rather than take on an early shot.

Keena always willing to put in the runs and make himself available, but not really his night with his first touch not being the best. His penalty summed up his night, well struck, but no finesse or confidence to put it away from the keeper.

Zanatta always a threat with his pace and running and got better as the game went on. Also guilty of taking a couple of touches too many when a shot was on.   

Well done lads you won great team performance :2thumbsup:..

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

On performances: 

Great summary FF, thanks as always.

What is your take on Hamilton's prospects?  He's not the biggest for a CH, especially when you see him alongside Baur and Petkov, who are both big units.

Do you think he can make it as a top CH based on his footballing attributes, or is he someone who might blossom into a good holding midfielder in time?  You point out his good positional sense and reading of the game, just wonder if he might eventually make a very good 'quarterback', sitting in front of the defense.

9 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

One for some of those at the game. Did anyone else enjoy Burns' Alan Partridge impression in the first half?

🤣🤣 Brilliant 👏👏👏

Bobby would piss himself laughing if he saw that. Best of it was Danny got annoyed at him????

David McCaig
6 hours ago, RobNox said:

What is your take on Hamilton's prospects?  He's not the biggest for a CH, especially when you see him alongside Baur and Petkov, who are both big units.

Do you think he can make it as a top CH based on his footballing attributes, or is he someone who might blossom into a good holding midfielder in time?  You point out his good positional sense and reading of the game, just wonder if he might eventually make a very good 'quarterback', sitting in front of the defense.

I'm presuming the time has passed for Hamilton to have any late growth spurt?

Once again their Hibs loanee keeper Dabrowski kept the score down. Could easily have scored 6 if not for him. Pleasing to see Cochrane have a better second half although they seemed to give us more room. The boys moved the ball quickly and we'll in second half that caused that. As been said Zanatta and Keena look sharp, direct and exciting at this level. It's making the step up that's difficult.

32 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I'm presuming the time has passed for Hamilton to have any late growth spurt?

Unlikely, none of his parents/grandparents are much if any taller. 

That looked like a similar Cowdenbeath team to the one that played our 1st team a few weeks back so would seem a very impressive result. Be a close game between the Hearts colts and 1st team right now !. 😁

7 minutes ago, damo said:

That looked like a similar Cowdenbeath team to the one that played our 1st team a few weeks back so would seem a very impressive result. Be a close game between the Hearts colts and 1st team right now !. 😁

Yeah, I reckon our first team could just about give the colts a run for their money :)

10 hours ago, Naisysback said:

Think ur analysis of some of the players off the mark.

McDonald had 2 great saves from keeper, an onside goal disallowed and 2 assists and u say worked hard but nothing quite came off.

Bauer was excellent from the 1st whistle. Stepped forward with the ball, won headers and was physically strong, a commanding performance from him.

Ritchie did the dirty work very well tonight, won the ball and moved it on, always an out when needed, kept it simple.

Zanatta a bit like Keena in decision making, too eager to score goals when people in better positions.strong running and his physicality was excellent 

Keena needs to lift his head and know whats around him, 4 or 5 times tonight he is trying to beat 3 players when others in yards of space, he would get more goals if he used the ball better.

Harry an excellent 2nd half, as did whole team, he found good positions to dictate the game  passing was excellent 

Burns  best i have seen him, worked tirelessly up and down, always offering for the ball.

I really enjoyed last night, i thought we were good especially 2nd half. Cochrane started running the game 2nd half and Zanatta really gave their defenders problems. His turns and running at defenders created alot of trouble. 
Mcdonald is such a good football player, his flick pass to assist Keena's goal was a beauty. I would love to see him continuing to progress and make a mark in the first team. Really good to watch when on his game

22 minutes ago, richiehmfc said:

I really enjoyed last night, i thought we were good especially 2nd half. Cochrane started running the game 2nd half and Zanatta really gave their defenders problems. His turns and running at defenders created alot of trouble. 
Mcdonald is such a good football player, his flick pass to assist Keena's goal was a beauty. I would love to see him continuing to progress and make a mark in the first team. Really good to watch when on his game

Spoke to a couple of guys last night who'd also been to the last round in Coatbridge, they thought that the superior playing surface at Prestonfield suited our passing game far more.

For me the Colts seemed to have a bit more pace and incisiveness about their attacking and passing than the first team.

Basically the Cowdenbeath keeper saved them from a thrashing.

Footballfirst
8 hours ago, RobNox said:

I would doubt if he will make any substantial growth spurt. I've spoken to his dad and grandmother on several occasions and they are not the tallest.  Despite his size, he still has a good vertical jump and remains decent in the air.

So the question is how to accommodate him. I'd like to see him tried as a holding midfielder, even if it means sending him on loan to learn the role. The alternative would be to shape the side around him, playing him as a libero (sweeper), with the the freedom to work behind or in front of the central defenders.  I can't see Craig Levein experimenting in that way though, without the assurance that it would work.  I'm sure he could play alongside Halkett as long as Halkett was instructed that every high ball was his to attack with Hamilton covering in behind. 

He actually played as a striker in youth football before he came to Hearts, but was reasonably tall compared to his peers in his early years so the coaches adapted him to play at the back.  I've seen him score goals playing up front and from midfield in odd academy games.

I guess I'm saying that he would potentially be a sad loss to the club if we could't find a role for him in the first team over the next couple of years.

allanwilson1970

Probably the best I have seen our Colts play, totally dominated the game.  I thought the shape of our back 3 and midfield 4 was set up perfectly to allow Zanatta and McDonald the freedom to express themselves knowing that if they lost the ball we had them covered. I think we must have had around 300 passes in the game and barely any aimless long punts. If Levein was there this must have given him some food for thought as we were so dominate and especially in the final third.  Seems Kirk and Rankin are doing something right as the setup was spot on and the boys executed it to perfection.  

6 minutes ago, allanwilson1970 said:

Probably the best I have seen our Colts play, totally dominated the game.  I thought the shape of our back 3 and midfield 4 was set up perfectly to allow Zanatta and McDonald the freedom to express themselves knowing that if they lost the ball we had them covered. I think we must have had around 300 passes in the game and barely any aimless long punts. If Levein was there this must have given him some food for thought as we were so dominate and especially in the final third.  Seems Kirk and Rankin are doing something right as the setup was spot on and the boys executed it to perfection.  

He was there, seen him early pre match. He was often at the Reserve fixtures last season too

If its 1-16 in one pot and 17-32 in the other then it is pretty much seeded. 

And 50% chance of cross border match. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Gilberts Fridge

Surely there is a mistake with the clubs listed.

Where is the conveyor belt of talent and all round savoir of Scottish Football that is hibs colts

18 hours ago, richiehmfc said:

I agree, Prestonfield is a bit of a shitehole . I'm going to go regardless though

Wasn't knocking the place at all mate, I've never been, I just haven't noticed us playing games out there before so thought it was a bit random tbh.

3 minutes ago, Gilberts Fridge said:

Surely there is a mistake with the clubs listed.

Where is the conveyor belt of talent and all round savoir of Scottish Football that is hibs colts

The coaching must be really sh*te at Hearts. the geniuses on here keep telling us so.

31 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

The coaching must be really sh*te at Hearts. the geniuses on here keep telling us so.

Aye  smartarse.They refer to first team coaching as watching the youths and first team is like two different philosophies.

13 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

I'd like Keena to get way more time.

The rest of your post I am still undecided  

I’d love to see Zanatta get an opportunity in a centra attacking role for the first team. Every time he gets a game it’s always on the wing and he doesn’t look comfortable there. He’s got good pace and height, and has scored goals when on loan or playing for the U21’s.

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

When are the games being played?

International break

Edited by Mikey1874

North Berwick Jambo
6 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Away to Waterford!

We're in Europe 🙂

That did make me laugh 😆 

since their league was formed in 1986 they havn't made the top 3 so surely got half a chance, home tie woulda been better.

4 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Pity, that's an international break, could have got a decent crowd for a home tie

What about Scotland age group call ups, aren't they likely to be same time?

14 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Went to watch this. On way home. Great result and we played some brilliant stuff at times.

I dunno what's happening in between the 1st team and the reserves/colts but the football seems totally different.

Just IMO.

The first team gets constantly boo’d?

Remember the Levein haters calling card is that Levein is all over the entire football side of the club like a dictator - so he is as responsible for this as anyone.

9 minutes ago, RobboM said:

What about Scotland age group call ups, aren't they likely to be same time?

The following fixtures take place over that week

Scotland U21s - San Marino, Croatia 

Nothing for the other age groups incl U19s

Edited by Mikey1874

38 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Draw will be here

What a weird draw. Supposedly not seeded but 5 pots. One for the Scottish teams and one each for each of the other nations with two teams in each of those pots. This was explained by Neil Doncaster as ensuring that two 'overseas' teams from the same nation wouldn't play each other. But actually it was drawn in a way that ensured that no overseas teams could play each other (the first 8 ties were a team from an overseas pot then a Scottish team). So effectively the overseas teams were seeds. They could have done the draw far more simply with only two pots (one for overseas teams, one for Scottish teams). Along with Neil Doncaster informing us that all 10 Labrokes Premiership clubs would enter the draw at this round, the whole thing was very amateur hour.

Waterford are a team of youngsters peppered with a few older experienced players.  Lower mid-table in the Irish Premier League with a poor record this season.  The only issue for the colts should be playing away.