Penalty taker ?, Who now....

4forDevries

1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

A lot of the same folk who hate Clare also hated Djoum and Isma.

Mysterious...

:rofl:

Holyrood_Hearts

Someone mentioned Naismith was taken off pens but is that actually true? Anyway, Clare should remain 1st choice for now

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

Mysterious...

And malaury Martin, Connor Sammon, David Vanecek. It’s a mystery indeed 🙄

4 hours ago, 4forDevries said:

Who do you want to see on pen duties ?. We have seen plenty lately. Michael Smith hits a cracker .....not Clare though.

I'd stick with Clare. The one at east fife was a one off, back up would be smith

Igglepiggle
13 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Someone mentioned Naismith was taken off pens but is that actually true? Anyway, Clare should remain 1st choice for now

Yes. I'm sure Levein said as much after the Aberdeen game where he missed his second, and Smith took (and missed) our next one while Naismith was on the pitch.

10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Dunno what people watch sometimes, Clare is the best pen taker we’ve had in a long while.

Completely agree

14 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

And malaury Martin, Connor Sammon, David Vanecek. It’s a mystery indeed 🙄

Highly mysterious, listing three players who did the sum total of **** all on the pitch, as some sort of response to a post about people hating three players who have done the sum total of . . . *checks notes* . . . a lot more than **** all.

Holyrood_Hearts
14 minutes ago, Igglepiggle said:

Yes. I'm sure Levein said as much after the Aberdeen game where he missed his second, and Smith took (and missed) our next one while Naismith was on the pitch.

Ahh cheers. I couldn’t mind if Smith’s miss happened before or after Naismith’s injury

A_A wehatethehibs

Believe it’s the following from skimming transfermarkt: 

Naismith 5 in from 7 pens taken 

Walker 8 in 12 taken 

Clare 4 in 5 taken

Smith 2 in 3 taken

At Hearts. 

IMO Naismith is the senior player, so respect your elders. I suppose though maybe it is fair to say, Clare keeps it till he misses one in regulation.

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

Wow that comment about Clares penalties not being convincing... Hes sent the keeper the wrong way every time

Yeah, but if the keeper did guess right.......

:facepalm:

Cruyff Turn

1 - Naismith

2 - Clare

3 - Walker

4 - Halkett

5 - M.Smith

tbh though, they are all pretty good penalty takers.

4 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Halkett took them for Livi. He'd be my chouce, then Clare.

This please......!

Clare then Smith. Washington also took a decent pen against Dundee United so might be worth a shout at some point if others are missing. 

Sean Clare has proven to be one of the best penalty takers we've had in years. Granted he's no Pressley, or Hartley etc but a class act from 12 yards nonetheless. 

I'll entertain the "no Clare" line and offer up John Souttar as an alternative. That penalty against United was top class, really

Jambosteve1902
7 hours ago, 4forDevries said:

Fair pick. But good chance he will not be on the park in the last 20 mins when some frantic defending and attacking occurs and some tired mistakes etc that awards a penalty. You need a number 2 taker I think.

Terrible at penalties so why him? Clare all day then smith

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

Mysterious...

Quite a few others too when you think back. 

Fozzyonthefence
7 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

100% Naismith

Maybe Washington is a good penalty taker? Give him one to get his account opened 

No thanks, Naismith’s penalties last season were pretty poor, even some of the ones he scored plus iirc he missed a couple.

Clare has looked composed, last week apart, he should remain first choice.

Pasquale for King

It might be an idea to give one to Washington to get his confidence up and running. Last season we had Clare, Bozanic, Naismith, Uche,Smith all take penalties, all players miss at some point and it doesn’t mean they’re banished forever. Messi has taken 108 and missed 25, Ronaldo 138 and missed 25. Must be equal record holders in that department 😃.

August Landmesser
4 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Highly mysterious, listing three players who did the sum total of **** all on the pitch, as some sort of response to a post about people hating three players who have done the sum total of . . . *checks notes* . . . a lot more than **** all.

Indeed.

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

He's sent the keeper wrong way though...

That my point. I was referring to nonsense mentioned earlier in this thread about the keeper saving them if they guessed right. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2019 at 05:55, 4forDevries said:

Who do you want to see on pen duties ?. We have seen plenty lately. Michael Smith hits a cracker .....not Clare though.

I hate being right sometimes. He has some quality but does not fit our team.

Sierra Delta
13 minutes ago, 4forDevries said:

I hate being right sometimes. He has some quality but does not fit our team.

I'm not sure you can claim you're "right" based on Clare missing a penalty. 

Over time everyone will miss now and again. His penalties are generally very good, sending the keeper the wrong way with the way he opens up his body to place it in the opposite corner. 

pettigrewsstylist
On 04/08/2019 at 05:55, 4forDevries said:

Surely its now Denzils to lose!

Dr Ian Malcolm

Washington until he misses a couple (binning after one is harsh) then Halkett. If he's not on the pitch, no issue with reverting back to Clare. Think the two he's missed have hit the woodwork IIRC. He generally doesn't give the 'keeper a chance.

The 2 penalties where Clare hit the woodwork were both hit hard and would have given the best goalkeeper no chance, of course unfortunately 6 inches too wide but I for one would still like to see Clare take penalties in the future if he's on the park

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Washington took a great penalty but Clare’s was close to being perfect - so with Walker, Naismith and Halkett we may all of a sudden have 5 decent pen takers.

Which is decent news where the penalty count will likely be higher this season.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 05:55, 4forDevries said:

Clare for me when he is in the team very composed.

Thing is I don't think he will be in the first 11 when everyone is available