Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

Mid Calder Jambo
1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Great signing and it should strengthen our midfield to front part of the team. Up to the forwards to up their game now and prove their worth. 

All we need to do now is to stop lumping the ball from Berra to Uche,. Then we might get somewhere.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

Tennant's  6's

:yas:

Great singing. He had good words of CL as well. 

Just need to get the team playing better & to start picking up results.

Maybe a wee loan deal to see how Cummings fares in the Premiership too perhaps..

BRAVEHEART1874

Haring,  Damour and now Whelan looking good ;)

Can  Damour also play as an attacking mid if needed, basically replacing djoumn when haring is fit?

Thought he was quite good his last game

15 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Actually get on the training field Monday-Friday instead of leaving it to his pals. 

He has been. Been quite noticeable how often he’s been involved since draw with East Fife. 

Wake up and smell the coffee guys,fantastic stop gap signing that will steady the ship a bit, he still has to go though,Only sandpapered over the cracks

19 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

So Levein is just trying to sign his way out this mess, fantastic.

At least he’s trying. Some decent signings which hopefully pay off for him. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, Mid Calder Jambo said:

All we need to do now is to stop lumping the ball from Berra to Uche,. Then we might get somewhere.

If Glenn Whelan demands the ball and Naismith gets back to his game of shouting at others to give him the ball then all should be well. Maybe Berra will need to ditch the Square boots to pick them out and not the empty space in the corners. :)

Just now, rudi must stay said:

Levein rates him so I wouldn't have thought so

He has some good games I guess

Infact if you want a prediction then there's a contract extension coming his way 

Yeah he's has some ok games but he was often behind Lee for a place. I just dont think he's suited to Scottish football. 

Just now, Dannie Boy said:

At least he’s trying. Some decent signings which hopefully pay off for him. 

All we need now are some decent tactics which the players can follow and hopefully put into practice.

Just now, Mid Calder Jambo said:

Would expect Berra to feel a lot more comfortable with an actual goalkeeper behind him and two quality defensive midfielders in front.

Absolute Scenes
21 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

So Levein is just trying to sign his way out this mess, fantastic.

See the players interview

says the manager was crucial to signin

1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

If Glenn Whelan demands the ball and Naismith gets back to his game of shouting at others to give him the ball then all should be well. Maybe Berra will need to ditch the Square boots to pick them out and not the empty space in the corners. :)

Berra should be dropped indefinitely 

really under performing and is a weak link in our defence and whole team

3 minutes ago, BRAVEHEART1874 said:

Haring,  Damour and now Whelan looking good ;)

Can  Damour also play as an attacking mid if needed, basically replacing djoumn when haring is fit?

Thought he was quite good his last game

It said in the article I read about Damour that he could basically play any role in midfield.

Mid Calder Jambo
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Would expect Berra to feel a lot more comfortable with an actual goalkeeper behind him and two quality defensive midfielders in front.

I hope he does and now that we have bought a quality midfield, i would like to see iy being used.

32 minutes ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

@Inch Hearts will be closing his account with this news 

I’ll keep the account open otherwise people will just say I’ve created a new yin.  A deal is a deal.

Great signing, lets hope the team can push on, on the pitch now and a good season is upon hopefully.  

Take care guys, been a blast. 

4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

He has been. Been quite noticeable how often he’s been involved since draw with East Fife. 

He needs to get off the training field Monday- Friday😉

1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

See the players interview

says the manager was crucial to signin

Berra should be dropped indefinitely 

really under performing and is a weak link in our defence and whole team

Once Souttar is back he might well be unless we go with 3 CB's.

BarneyBattles44
2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Infact if you want a prediction then there's a contract extension coming his way 

It's a massive signing for the squad on every level. He's The General never the likes we seen since Kidd Bruno in my opinion and Brellier to an extent as leadership and class goes a no brainer. Has been training along with Joel during last few weeks. Non of them are newbies. I'm sure Motherwells tactics plans have been wiped out a few times already. I hope Meshino is next.

Craig Levein has 10 days - 6 weeks of my support I hope he has it in him as a winner of my respect.

BarneyBattles44
1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

I’ll keep the account open otherwise people will just say I’ve created a new yin.  A deal is a deal.

Great signing, lets hope the team can push on, on the pitch now and a good season is upon hopefully.  

Take care guys, been a blast. 

It's only JKB banter. Always a Jambo

Selkirkhmfc1874

Good solid signing ! I'm sure we'll now see the best of sean Clare aswell with damour and Whelan in there beside him 

7 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Nah, the more people that spread the word then the better the message gets across, he needs to go, now! 

Away wi ya , some people can’t be arsed with every thread being dragged the same way , people know people’s opinion yet they shout it loudly on every thread no matter the subject of thread. Theres a 200+ thread where its essentially the same 3or 4 posts all the way through. Add your thoughts to there unless they relate to Whelan 

A very good signing for the club, some much needed experience in the midfield that will surely benefit the likes of Haring and Damour. 

That said, not comfortable with the idea of having two defensive midfielders in the side at one time. 

17 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I hope not especially with our recent signings. The guy offers nothing to the team in my opinion, too lethargic and wants too many touches on the ball.

I saw him have one decent game at Tynecastle when he played in a more attacking role but other than that he has offered nothing.

Really can't see what CL see's in him and I would hope he is not going to get a contract extension.

7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

All we need now are some decent tactics which the players can follow and hopefully put into practice.

Very much agree with you there. Hopefully the hopeful  punt from Berra will be very limited as we now have decent players who are comfortable with the ball.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Good interview by him, sounds like he's not just here to keep fit for the ROI squad.

BarneyBattles44

If you think I'm on something now wait till you see the state of me if Craig kicks doors off the hinges in Riccarton. That means someone's been in his ears.

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

Very much agree with you there. Hopefully the hopeful  punt from Berra will be very limited as we now have decent players who are comfortable with the ball.

Maybe tactic one is to keep the ball away from Berra unless we are defending then he can't punt it even if he wants to. :lol:

Marooned In Ireland

Pleased that Whelan has signed. Not a marquee signing but one which I feel will make a difference. All in all, some tidy signings this summer. 

Now, all we need is a settled formation and tactics that the players are comfortable with. If things are got right on the field, this squad is well capable of silverware, and of sticking one or two up the ugly sisters.

54 minutes ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

Was never in doubt in my mind 

Whelan's dad hasn't been well of late 

Hence the delay 

Well done for getting it spot on, things happen behind the scenes but he’s here now 👍

28 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

:wtf:

Makes you feel like we need a translate this post option underneath specifically for Barney’s posts

6 minutes ago, sadj said:

Away wi ya , some people can’t be arsed with every thread being dragged the same way , people know people’s opinion yet they shout it loudly on every thread no matter the subject of thread. Theres a 200+ thread where its essentially the same 3or 4 posts all the way through. Add your thoughts to there unless they relate to Whelan 

Yeah, Levein is having a nightmare and it could be argued that these signings contradict his comments previously or business should have been done already as some have said elsewhere.. but I have to cut the guy a little bit of slack and say well done on signings in the last week.. (though proof-pudding).. he really doesn’t have much excuse anymore not to be competing in this league for 3rd with this squad though

Haringshairband
3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Makes you feel like we need a translate this post option underneath specifically for Barney’s posts

It does :lol: 

Happy with this signing though, despite my first post after hearing the news being one of bewilderment. 

Edited by Haringshairband

17 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

And 2 new legs. 

6 minutes ago, Marooned In Ireland said:

Pleased that Whelan has signed. Not a marquee signing but one which I feel will make a difference. All in all, some tidy signings this summer. 

Now, all we need is a settled formation and tactics that the players are comfortable with. If things are got right on the field, this squad is well capable of silverware, and of sticking one or two up the ugly sisters.

What are you expecting... for our budget this is about as marquee signing as we will get.

been here before

Ive got to be honest and say that until I saw him mentioned on this thread Id never heard of him. Im not a big watcher of English football mimd.

Consensus seems to be he's a good signing so Ill go along with the flow.

First bad half though then he's written off as shite and roundly booed at every opportunity though.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 17:17, Inch Hearts said:

No bother mate.  He won’t be signing.

If he does I’ll leave Kickback. 

Wavy, wavy ...

2 hours ago, McCrae said:

This is just a stupid thing to write.  Having some more experienced players in the team to help teach the young players how to play the game is a smart move. It’s the same approach JJ and Alex McDonald took.  Having Sandy play beside him was a huge help for JR.

No comparison between Doddy and Sandy to Levein & co.

Smoked-Glass
11 minutes ago, Marooned In Ireland said:

Another Neil macfarlane??? 

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

F78EA1CD-40FC-4359-A99F-EEA73E755001.jpeg.7a82bfcf6570d9012fb9180bb24f0bb3.jpeg

34?  👀👀👀

The days he was in talks? 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

So why comment on it if you haven’t read it? 

I only commented on the post.

Sexton Hardcastle

Another who will be booed and questioned why he was signed within 120 minutes of first team football.

Welcome to the shit show which is our support.

Shouldn’t be viewed as anything but a good signing considering his pedigree. 

However, let’s leave all the back slapping and high 5ing for a few months. Dramatic improvement from here in terms of performances and results needed. 

BarneyBattles44
11 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

A very good signing for the club, some much needed experience in the midfield that will surely benefit the likes of Haring and Damour. 

That said, not comfortable with the idea of having two defensive midfielders in the side at one time. 

4-2-4 if tacticaly aware. Generally there's midfielders that are verseiltile can play DM and CM some DM CM and AM. It depends on who's cleaning n who's winning the ball  passing it on. Harring  Damour and Whelan cover a lot of options.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Mulraney for instance had to ASK the coaching staff what he was doing wrong.

For me that is poor communication from the coaches. They should be proactive with the players speaking to them about how they can improve.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, McCrae said:

For me that is poor communication from the coaches. They should be proactive with the players speaking to them about how they can improve.

It’s the main part of the job really. 

• davemclaren locked this topic