Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

BarneyBattles44
11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I save up all my real effort for reading your posts.

I save up your posts to read later when I'm bored. Thanks

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

Hearts have today completed the signing of Republic of Ireland international Glenn Whelan, subject to international clearance.

The defensive midfielder joins the club as a free agent, penning a one-year deal until 2020.

The 35-year-old, who left English Premier League side Aston Villa at the end of last season, has 86 international caps to his name and brings a wealth of experience to Tynecastle. Having started his career at Manchester City, he went on to amass close to 300 appearances for Stoke City in the English Premier League.

The Dubliner has also made nearly 200 appearances in the English Championship following successful spells with both Sheffield Wednesday and most recently Aston Villa.

He won promotion to the Championship with Sheffield Wednesday in 2005 before going on to help Stoke City gain promotion to the Premier League in his first season at the club. Last season, he played 36 league games for Aston Villa as they went on to secure their return to the English top flight.

On the international front, Glenn made his senior debut against Serbia in 2008 and has been a mainstay in the heart of midfield ever since. He played a key role in guiding the Republic of Ireland to Euro 2012 and has captained the side on numerous occasions. His most recent appearance saw him play the full 90 minutes in the Euro 2020 qualifier against Denmark in June.

Thank Christ for that, welcome to Hearts! Glad hes been training with us for a while too.

We've put a good squad together, really need to gel soon. 

Brighton Jambo

An excellent signing, along with the other two signings this week and the earlier additions we now have a genuinely strong first 11.  

Tenaciousdandy

great addition to the team and hopefully slot straight into the starting 11 on friday to help knock out motherwell 

3 minutes ago, E6 Inc said:

Thank Christ for that, welcome to Hearts! Glad hes been training with us for a while too.

We've put a good squad together, really need to gel soon. 

Correct. Just one thing missing. 

Heartsofgold
7 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

😂

4 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Told you to relax.

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

We did say.

:lol:

Thank you gents.  Now I can relax.

BarneyBattles44

Bye Eddie. So those of you slated doubted Glens intentions let's read your humble pie. Welcome The General. Turkishcap is going to be releaved as he been camped weeks waiting. Thanks Notts for keeping us informed.

Mon Craig Levein.

Edited by BarneyBattles44

1 minute ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

Bye Eddie. So those of you slated doubted Glens intentions let's read your humble pie. Welcome The General. Turkishcap is going to be releaved as he been camped weeks waiting. Thanks Notts for keeping us informed.

Mon Craig Levein.

What?

Heartsofgold

Welcome to the Famous Glenn.  Now batter the living **** out of Scott Brown and get a grip of our, so far, non existent midfield.

Hungry hippo

Please note that as he signed the deal on the day Eddie The Eagle announced it on JKB he only has 3 months remaining on the 1 year deal.

vincent vega
7 minutes ago, TattyBye said:

Glenn, our saviour

Potentially! Hopefully he can help bring out the best in some of our younger players. The more experienced and quality players to learn from the better.

Eddie The Eagle

Was never in doubt in my mind 

Whelan's dad hasn't been well of late 

Hence the delay 

Eddie The Eagle
1 minute ago, Hungry hippo said:

Please note that as he signed the deal on the day Eddie The Eagle announced it on JKB he only has 3 months remaining on the 1 year deal.

👏👏👏👏👏👏🤣🤣

Just now, Eddie The Eagle said:

Was never in doubt in my mind 

Whelan's dad hasn't been well of late 

Hence the delay 

Good man Eddie, never doubted you

Heartsofgold
Just now, Barack said:

Damour & Whelan. Together.

Death is coming. And it's wearing a Maroon shirt.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, indianajones said:

I did wonder myself! 

Must be some tough paper roonds in parts of Dublin.

BarneyBattles44

7/1 Victorian. You thought you had an easy tap in but I seen it I cleared it off the line hit the post and battered my nose to juggle until I finally caught it. I've no issue with You. I imagine this post drains the effort out of you. Only imagine though. Whelan sign's 7/1 pay £8 for a homeless person to food a shower AND bed for the night on it seeing as you are such a Top Class Lad 

Just now, BarneyBattles44 said:

7/1 Victorian. You thought you had an easy tap in but I seen it I cleared it off the line hit the post and battered my nose to juggle until I finally caught it. I've no issue with You. I imagine this post drains the effort out of you. Only imagine though. Whelan sign's 7/1 pay £8 for a homeless person to food a shower AND bed for the night on it seeing as you are such a Top Class Lad 

:cornette:

BarneyBattles44
3 minutes ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

👏👏👏👏👏👏🤣🤣

I was being JKB sarcastic Eddie 

• davemclaren locked this topic