Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

Suspicion is that Whelan signed a few days ago. He was up and trained at least one day last week, trained mon, tues, and now wed this week. 

Wife has already said on social media he has signed somewhere for one more year.  Hard to believe it’s not us when he is training with us. Wife is in Edinburgh and likely to be house hunting. 

In this case 2+2=4 surely. Just Levein winding his fans up by delaying announcement. He just loves reactions from his ‘Levein oot’ fans. 

Levein needs older journeymen to organise the team on the pitch because his management team can’t.

Naismith, Berra, McLean, Cowie, Hughes ect have all been needed by Levein to manage what was 

going on on the pitch.

11 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Mitch, 

As far as I know, Mackay got the basics completely wrong in his latest article. 

1. FoH money hasn’t been spent on the team or coaching, not one penny

2. Gary Naysmith hasn’t been hired as a coach

3. Gary Naysmith role is part-time so hardly a bank account buster. 

4. There was already someone in the loans management role so it’s not a new position. 

Id have thought even you with your Levein/Budge doing good blinkers on would have spotted that. 

I only read the piece that was on here not the vast majority of it.

I read the 8 paragraphs in there was more regarding FOH and Gary Naismith

i never saw it.

Edited by mitch41

17 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

Neither, maybe more arguably, has McLean been.  Even Hughes was by no mean 'dreadful' just not the player we'd all hoped he'd be.

This. Hughes never really got started due to injury, but McLean & Cowie were certainly not dreadful. 

I come here for any news on the Glenn Whelan transfer and ... Same shite as on every other thread, variations on a theme. CL oot, AB oot, coaches oot, blah blah , drone drone...  Christ, at this rate I'll need to start buying a newspaper.

PS. The same could be said about just about any thread.

Edited by whodanny

34 minutes ago, Coco said:

Can't say I remember seeing Whelan play but just to point out the senior citizen recruitment model has not gone well.  Hughes, Cowie and MacLean all dreadful for Hearts.

Do the management not trust in the £4m academy.   If the players coming through are any good they need games.  Look at MacArthur and McCarthy at Hamilton.

The players that are of an age now might be decent enough players, but I think it's the lads in the 13, 14  and 15 age bracket who are seen as the talent that'll take us to that next level.

Heartsofgold
9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Suspicion is that Whelan signed a few days ago. He was up and trained at least one day last week, trained mon, tues, and now wed this week. 

Wife has already said on social media he has signed somewhere for one more year.  Hard to believe it’s not us when he is training with us. Wife is in Edinburgh and likely to be house hunting. 

In this case 2+2=4 surely. Just Levein winding his fans up by delaying announcement. He just loves reactions from his ‘Levein oot’ fans. 

She never said she had signed anywhere.  What she said is she's looking forward to another year of football.

Howdy Doody Jambo
7 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Levein needs older journeymen to organise the team on the pitch because his management team can’t.

Naismith, Berra, McLean, Cowie, Hughes ect have all been needed by Levein to manage what was 

going on on the pitch.

Maybe an element of truth although It's very important to have good experience top quality professionals in the dressing room so our youngsters can pick up good habits and high standards 

7 minutes ago, whodanny said:

I come here for any news on the Glenn Whelan transfer and ... Same shite as on every other thread, variations on a theme. CL oot, AB oot, coaches oot, blah blah , drone drone...  Christ, at this rate I'll need to start buying a newspaper.

PS. The same could be said about just about any thread.

At least the schools went back to day so things MAY improve. We can but hope.

StevenNaismith

He signed yesterday. The club will announce it when they want. He’s looked very good in the bits of training I saw yesterday and today.

14 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

She never said she had signed anywhere.  What she said is she's looking forward to another year of football.

We don't want her to sign its her hubby we would prefer :laugh2:

Just now, StevenNaismith said:

He signed yesterday. The club will announce it when they want. He’s looked very good in the bits of training I saw yesterday and today.

Wonder how long the deal is for ? :sadrobbo:

9 minutes ago, Cheile said:

At least the schools went back to day so things MAY improve. We can but hope.

Not till next Wednesday up our way. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

I will tell you this He’d better be some player after all this time.

Aye, welcome to the club eh mitch? Ffs!

The Wrinkly Ninja
41 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Gary MacKay is spot on and if Levein and Gary aren’t best pals so what. When Gary has something 

in the paper the Levein lovers come on and have a go at Gary and to be honest Gary does get it 

right as he is a fan first. No one person can say Gary’s piece in the paper is not accurate.

27 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

i never saw it.

So.....one person could have told you it wasn’t accurate....you ( if you’d bothered to read it ).

12 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Wonder how long the deal is for ? :sadrobbo:

Probably shorter than the time he’s spent ‘in talks’. 

46 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

going on on the pitch.

Cowie and Hughes were signed when Levein was manager, were they?

1 hour ago, Coco said:

Can't say I remember seeing Whelan play but just to point out the senior citizen recruitment model has not gone well.  Hughes, Cowie and MacLean all dreadful for Hearts.

Do the management not trust in the £4m academy.   If the players coming through are any good they need games.  Look at MacArthur and McCarthy at Hamilton.

MacArthur and McCarthy wouldn't have had 16000 impatient fans spitting venom at them for the slightest mistake.

This is possibly the reason we are loading the team up with experienced pro's. 

Tynecastle can be a great place to be when things are going well but must be daunting for young players when things are tough.

Hearts fans have been great at supporting the club financially but have forgotten what the word support means on match days. In fact the great financial support has turned our fans into the customers from hell.

Tin hat on for this 'happy clapping apologist' ☺

rudi must stay
16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Maybe he's illiterate and the whole contract is being done in audio format.

Maybe he's become illeterate and it's in braille, but he's only recently starting learning braille

Edited by rudi must stay

2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

MacArthur and McCarthy wouldn't have had 16000 impatient fans spitting venom at them for the slightest mistake.

Tynecastle can be a great place to be when things are going well but must be daunting for young players when things are tough.

Hearts fans have been great at supporting the club financially but have forgotten what the word support means on match days. In fact the great financial support has turned our fans into the customers from hell.

Cant agree more 👍

sandylejambo
4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I think your right about the young players, but as we are in almost a year of terrible form, its hardly surprising that the natives are restless. welcome to Tynecastle Glenn

georgiehearts66
7 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Sadly very true.

Horatio Caine
29 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I will tell you this He’d better be some player after all this time.

Very Rab C Nesbitt!

Do The Dance
40 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Sounds like this is the case. Guess there’s a couple of intricacies to be wrapped up before it’s 100% good to announce. Fair enough.

19 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I suspect that many fans that have supported the club financially since 2012 thru FoH, and by other means, feel they now have a right to openly express how they feel, especially when the team performances are poor.  Opinions are just that and I respect them if not always agreeing with them. .  I make my concerns known to HMSA and FOH without plastering them on JKB or verbally at Tynecastle.

Of course, the mods getting rid of the plethora of vermin trolls from this board would be a start.  

11 minutes ago, Do The Dance said:

Sounds like this is the case. Guess there’s a couple of intricacies to be wrapped up before it’s 100% good to announce. Fair enough.

If it was me, I'd be holding out for a longer duration than 1 year.  Maybe 1 year with a further 1 year option.

As Whelan has probably a decent wad in the bank from Stoke & Villa, and is a free agent, there is no hurry for him to sign. Assuming his agent has given him other offers to consider.  Anyway, his wife is from Dublin, what is there in Edinburgh not for her to like.  

4 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Anyway, his wife is from Dublin, what is there in Edinburgh not for her to like.  

The hearts fans? 😉

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Cowie and Hughes were signed when Levein was manager, were they?

He gave Hughes another contract last summer when that money would’ve been better spent elsewhere. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

If it was me, I'd be holding out for a longer duration than 1 year.  Maybe 1 year with a further 1 year option.

As Whelan has probably a decent wad in the bank from Stoke & Villa, and is a free agent, there is no hurry for him to sign. Assuming his agent has given him other offers to consider.  Anyway, his wife is from Dublin, what is there in Edinburgh not for her to like.  

Maybe an automatic extension if he plays 30 games etc.

maroonlegions
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Maybe an automatic extension if he plays 30 games etc.

Give him the option of a 1 year extension i say. 

5 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Give him the option of a 1 year extension i say. 

Finding suitable property in the Lothians will be easier to sort out if you are looking for 2 years.  2 young kids, so schooling will be an issue if the whole family moves.

1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

going on on the pitch.

This is just a stupid thing to write.  Having some more experienced players in the team to help teach the young players how to play the game is a smart move. It’s the same approach JJ and Alex McDonald took.  Having Sandy play beside him was a huge help for JR.

BobbyJenkins
25 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He gave Hughes another contract last summer when that money would’ve been better spent elsewhere. 

How would you know? How much was he on? What did he bring? You dont know, the end. Utter slaver of a boy.

1 hour ago, Heartsofgold said:

Has she signed for the women's team?

Glenn Whelan signing betting market.

To happen first.

Brexit happens 2/5

Edinburgh Castle falls down 9/4

Whelan's first born signs for Hearts 12/1

To happen at all

Pitch recovers 1/8

Corners filled in 4/1

Whelan picks up a pen 7/1

BarneyBattles44
7 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Every single year we are told that you often get the chance to sign good quality players towards the end of the transfer window.

Every. Single. Year.

This year it is a stick to beat Levein with.

70  + players have been signed under Craig's tenure. I haven't done any graft on who the players are or were a success . This new seasons signings bare the markings of a very good side to pick from the sqaud. I'm happy with Craig's work at the moment regarding signings. My issues are with his other duties / responsibilities.

BarneyBattles44
12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

To happen first.

Brexit happens 2/5

To happen at all

Pitch recovers 1/8

Corners filled in 4/1

Now that's top class sarcasm. What a graft you put into that . It's also on topic. 7/1 looks a goer tomorrow. 

Edited by BarneyBattles44

12 minutes ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

Now that's top class sarcasm. What a graft you put into that . It's also on topic. 7/1 looks a goer tomorrow. 

I save up all my real effort for reading your posts.

24 minutes ago, Victorian said:

To happen first.

Brexit happens 2/5

To happen at all

Pitch recovers 1/8

Corners filled in 4/1

Like that.  :clap: 

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, BobbyJenkins said:

How would you know? How much was he on? What did he bring? You dont know, the end. Utter slaver of a boy.

Because we needed a CH to play when Berra, then Souttar, then Dunne got injured, had to rush Berra back to his detriment all because he wasn’t up to playing. When things got that bad he had to play him at Livi, how did that work out? He should’ve never have been signed in the first place, he was finished and playing in India. 

All to help him stay fit for NI, passes on a few tips wow. 

I know all I need to know about Hughes and his often terrible performances at ER, Celtic Park and Ibrox as I witnessed them first hand.

Now go away and work out to use the space bar.

2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

i never saw it.

So why comment on it if you haven’t read it? 

BarneyBattles44
38 minutes ago, McCrae said:

This is just a stupid thing to write.  Having some more experienced players in the team to help teach the young players how to play the game is a smart move. It’s the same approach JJ and Alex McDonald took.  Having Sandy play beside him was a huge help for JR.

Traditionally young players grew up in the reserve league a place to learn to developed and mature after being kicked chased threatened throttled and bullied about the pitch. Blood and bruises.

Older heads and legs have been through the wringer and know how to pass on their experience knowledge and life habits. Inspire and Influence the future stars. A man with Whelans status at club and international level ticks those boxes. The same applies to all players who have someone to compete with for a place on Matchday bar Uche who needs a classy sparing partner to compete for the jersey. The too old too young obssession doesn't hold up unless your under 25. 

Pasquale for King
55 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Indeed it is but with a plethora of coaches at hand it’s less important nowadays, it’s their job to coach players. Mulraney for instance had to ASK the coaching staff what he was doing wrong.

48 minutes ago, BobbyJenkins said:

You're certainly not wrong.

• davemclaren locked this topic