Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

35 minutes ago, true-jambo said:

Sky app saying we are persuing both, but because the deadline here is September 2nd no rush to complete today

But our season may be part defined in the next three weeks. Our midfield is a talentless shambles in part and needs fixed a month ago not in a fortnight or more

Just now, gedster said:

But our season may be part defined in the next three weeks. Our midfield is a talentless shambles in part and needs fixed a month ago not in a fortnight or more

Just quoting a different view on the likely signings from the same organisation, seems evidence nobody really knows.

I actually agree that we could do with a solution sooner rather than later or even better long before the season started

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, gedster said:

Or

You could completely screw up for months on end by appeasing the impatient 

51 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Fly be have several flights every day between Edinburgh and Birmingham. Probably be home faster than Craig. 

Surely he would of considered traveling as soon as Edinburgh was mentioned. 

It looks like Damour was our original target until we found out that Whelan was available, either that or Damour was wanting too much so we moved on to Whelan. Now it's looking like whelan won't be signing, we've went back to Damour with another offer. 

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Sky just reported that Whelan deal looking unlikely and whilst we are talking to

Cardiff boy again but again looking unlikely  

Hopefully we have a back up plan 

Re: Damour to Hearts?

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:30 pm

HEARTS have held talks with Cardiff City’s French midfielder Loic Damour – but any offer for the player will hinge on whether Glenn Whelan joins the Jambos.

Tynecastle manager Craig Levein was made aware of the 28-year-old’s availability last month and initially made him one of the club’s top targets, embarking on preliminary discussions with the player.

It is understood the prospect of a season-long loan was raised.

However, that was put on the back-burner when the opportunity to sign Glenn Whelan presented itself, with the tough-tackling, vastly-experienced Republic of Ireland international seen as the perfect addition in the centre of the park.

Whelan, released by Aston Villa this summer despite playing a major part in their promotion to the English Premier League last term, remains locked in discussions with Hearts but has yet to commit. There is fierce competition for his signature in England and abroad.

Should Whelan reject the offer which has been tabled by the capital club, Levein could turn his attention back to Damour – with all parties having remained in contact.

Securing midfield reinforcements is Hearts’ top priority after Peter Haring was ruled out for two months and Arnaud Djoum left the club for Saudi outfit Al-Raed.

51 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

Surely he would of considered traveling as soon as Edinburgh was mentioned. 

I don't know, working from home is becoming increasingly popular.  Sure they could skype the training sessions down to him...

2 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Re: Damour to Hearts?

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:30 pm

HEARTS have held talks with Cardiff City’s French midfielder Loic Damour – but any offer for the player will hinge on whether Glenn Whelan joins the Jambos.

Tynecastle manager Craig Levein was made aware of the 28-year-old’s availability last month and initially made him one of the club’s top targets, embarking on preliminary discussions with the player.

It is understood the prospect of a season-long loan was raised.

However, that was put on the back-burner when the opportunity to sign Glenn Whelan presented itself, with the tough-tackling, vastly-experienced Republic of Ireland international seen as the perfect addition in the centre of the park.

Whelan, released by Aston Villa this summer despite playing a major part in their promotion to the English Premier League last term, remains locked in discussions with Hearts but has yet to commit. There is fierce competition for his signature in England and abroad.

Should Whelan reject the offer which has been tabled by the capital club, Levein could turn his attention back to Damour – with all parties having remained in contact.

Securing midfield reinforcements is Hearts’ top priority after Peter Haring was ruled out for two months and Arnaud Djoum left the club for Saudi outfit Al-Raed.

Other sources, who usually don't go bells out unless they have the correct info, have since stated that we are trying to get both. I don't particularly like or rate banderson, but he very rarely states something as fact unless he has the correct info.

10 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Hopefully we have a back up plan 

We'd better. Tomorrow is our 6th competitive game of the season. We need a midfield urgently. 

1 minute ago, Gav M said:

Other sources, who usually don't go bells out unless they have the correct info, have since stated that we are trying to get both. I don't particularly like or rate banderson, but he very rarely states something as fact unless he has the correct info.

Yeah, I found that on the Cardiff City Forum. Not sure who wrote it. Is it more accurate than banderson's version? 

Maybes aye, maybes naw. 

The Treasurer
4 minutes ago, Gav M said:

Always thought he lifted most of his "exclusives" from here.

1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

Always thought he lifted most of his "exclusives" from here.

He usually does, but it's padded with 'believes' 'rumoured' and 'have heard'. He very rarely states things unless he has confirmed the info with the club.

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, Section Q said:

If it's all agreed then an announcement would be nice. Doesn't the English transfer deadline end tonight..?

He might be  hanging out for a last minute deal down south.

He’s a free agent and can sign at any point for someone down there.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Ribble said:

I've seen a number of folk say this, is it just because he's 35? Whelan has been out injured for a grand total of about 3 weeks out of an 18 year career.

So had Berra.

I was told he would decide today at some point.

The White Cockade
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

So had Berra.

who told you that?

The White Cockade
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Window cleaner 

that's good enough for me

welcome to Hearts Glenn

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

😅

Pretty reliable . . .  same  time every Monday 😜

pettigrewsstylist
4 hours ago, TheGoodLord said:

Pretty much this I’d imagine. Agent will always try and get a couple of notes of interest to help leverage the best next deal. We probably sit in the middle somewhere. Not sure I’d be fussed about this signing, I’d fear an early injury and long spell out at his age but delighted to be proved completely wrong. 

Where  im at, but need to move on if not done soon.

You get the feeling we simply have to land one or both of these midfielders, we seem to have spent a fair amount of time trying to get them. Don’t fancy us having to start again trying to find this sort of quality. That said we should be good enough to beat Ross County at home with what we have. Gets a bit more difficult after that!

Leveins Battalion
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I think we should nash from this one now.    Cheerio.

Yip.

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

So had Berra.

Berra got an injury that completely ****ed him. That’s the difference.

9 hours ago, Ribble said:

Mir does so while it could be agreed he may well sign tomorrow where it will be easier to get a hold of the English fa for international clearance, they’ll probably be quite busy today!

Point I’m making is that there could be any number of reasons he’s not signed yet but beachside it’s taking time it doesn’t mean that it’s more or less likely to happen

What.........?

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s a free agent and can sign at any point for someone down there.

👍

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

The point was he hadn’t one until he came back. Rushing back did him no favours.

Hectormasson
5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Window cleaner 

No the windae cleaner ,? Hes a real pane !🙈🙈🙈

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

No the windae cleaner ,? Hes a real pane !🙈🙈🙈

He’s never lied yet, I can see right through him 🥴

portobellojambo1
3 hours ago, Jammy T said:

I'm guessing the person whose post you were replying to was using what happened to Christophe as a guideline of sorts to what could potentially happen not only to this potential new signing, but any player. Just because you have had a career where the injuries have been minimal doesn't mean it will always be that way. I'm guessing that it is a risk factor in signing any player who is a bit older in as much as their recovery time from injuries can be longer and some injuries can have more impact on them then maybe a much younger player. If I'm honest I don't know much about the injury Christophe picked up, at the actual game it all looked a bit innocuous to me and I was a bit surprised when he had to go off, i.e. there was no man to man contact as such, it just looked as if he had gone down and couldn't get back up for some reason I couldn't fathom out at the time.

Edited by portobellojambo1

1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I'm guessing the person whose post you were replying to was using what happened to Christophe as a guideline of sorts to what could potentially happen not only to this potential new signing, but any player. Just because you have had a career where the injuries have been minimal doesn't mean it will always be that way. I'm guessing that it is a risk factor in signing any player who is a bit older in as much as their recovery time from injuries can be longer and some injuries can have more impact on them then maybe a much younger player. If I'm honest I don't know much about the injury Christophe picked up, at the actual game it all looked a bit innocuous to me and I was a bit surprised when he had to go off, i.e. there was no man to man contact as such, it just looked as if he had gone down and couldn't get back up for some reason I couldn't fathom out at the time.

Berra stretched for a ball then lost his footing, which caused him to overstretch and was unable to correct it, ended up with a double hamstring tear I think, which is about as bad as it can get with hamstrings.  I'm not sure his age had a lot to do with it, just another piece of bloody bad luck that we seem to be getting regularly with serious injuries to players.

26 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Whelan deal now unlikely.

Is that down to him, or have we cooled our interest in the light of Damour looking likely to sign?

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

The point was he hadn’t one until he came back. Rushing back did him no favours.

Totally disagree - it was the nature of the injury that did him.

30 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

This dude can GTF, spent enough time pandering to him.  Pretty clear he doesn't want to play for us, and even though it may be a long distance commute, many of us have done something similar and managed ok, and not on footballer's wages either!

9 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Wants to stay near his family. Understandable. 

What's he wasting our time for then ?

All he has to do is say no.

3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Perhaps he was trying to broker some sort of deal where he could sign for us but still spend a reasonable amount of time with his family, you know, strike some sort of balance that was acceptable to both parties.  Maybe we've not been able to reach a suitable compromise and he's considering offers elsewhere, maybe if we've secured Damour we feel we don't need to pursue the Whelan deal.  

BarneyBattles44
18 minutes ago, luckydug said:

We have to wait till an official release before assuming all sorts. If anyone here had such details I would want to know them. Truth is there isn't much to go on bar what's been Qualified. Rumours n plain lies in the most regarding inner dealings on GW here. The ones claiming to be ITK are not source's just people like us pulling bits n bobs up online. If such a member is ITK I appologise not saw one thing makes me think otherwise. Mostly Gasbags looking to score points sitting on here slating everything n anyone. 

Edited by BarneyBattles44

1 hour ago, Hampden Demolition said:

The guy is in no rush, it's his last football contract most likely so he's studying his options. 

siegementality
24 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Free golf?

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Knowing JKB, that probably means he has already signed and he will be unveiled at 9am tomorrow!

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Totally disagree - it was the nature of the injury that did him.

Quite possibly, only he and the staff will know for sure. Tragic really because the season before he was immense, allowances made for those diagonals obviously. I’m not sure what can be done now though.

• davemclaren locked this topic