Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

12 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

How do i get picked up for saying OF but you don't get grief for constantly saying YOUR INSTEAD OF YOU'RE?

Ask Betty.

👍

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

Just now, To Be Frank said:

You’ve clearly not been to Tynecastle for a while if you think there aren’t fans who get on the back of players at the drop of a hat.

Before the drop of a hat. Possibly before they get into Tynecastle would be more accurate or before the team is announced. Take your pick 😂

Flappy Hands
8 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

So Naismith is the good form and Levein is the shit form.

Gotcha.....

You've cracked it lol

22 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

If Whelan signs he won't be taking the place of any youngster. Cochrane, Irving and C.Smith are not the same type of player. They are competing with Clare for a place, who himself is a young player. 

Lee obviously wants to go and hopefully Bozanic will be told to find a new club asap. I expect we'll see about half a dozen or so players leave on loan very soon too. 

It Cochrane isn't going to start many games for us, he should play elsewhere on loan, especially after missing so much of last season. 

I'd also expect Silva, C.Smith, Burns, Wighton, Moore, Henderson and Currie to go out on loan. I think Morrison will too once he's fit. 

I'd like to see Keena, McDonald and Zanatta kept as part of the first team squad. 

If we're  loaning out Wighton, a player we allegedly paid a hefty fee for then this is unacceptable for Hearts. Embarrassing that a player we paid money for is so far removed from the quality required that we may punt him elsewhere like Edwards last season. Piss poor signing but the club at fault for this and not him.

59 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

Heres a take on this. We keep adding players into positions where we have very talented youngsters instead or building around them. 

Cochrane now miles away from 1st team start, McDonald the same,Irving and Hickey will be next...

Why not put Cochrane in, but keep playing him, let him grow into the team with experience around him , same for McDonald,  is Walker any better ..debatable....but because he is a new signing he will play every week...

People laud the academy but in reality we are not giving the boys enough. The old adage of good enough then old enough doesn't seem to apply. Boys need to play, every week and they will get better and better, thst wont happen with 20mins here and there with an occasional start.

Why bring in a 35 yr old when you have Irving\Cochrane\Clare\Bozanic and Haring to come.....

It’s a tough one. You say “if yer old enough yer good enough”, but maybe that’s it?

Maybe most aren’t quite ready? The reality is, are lads ever quite ready for the week to week rigours of first team football at 18,19 unless they are really something exceptional?

Hearts have never filled a team with lads just for the sake of it and we shouldn’t just for the sake of justifying an academy. People get carried away with it.  Hearts have always done quite well bringing through young players, even without an academy, but very few still actually make it. 

Hearts should be a competitive outfit at all times and have the right amount of quality experience to help the young, aspiring players. On Sunday it’s quite possible we’ll see Hickey and Irving start and who I very much see as having the quality and physical mix to contribute. 

Then there’ll be a couple on the bench. I think that’s giving youth a chance. 

Alex Kintner
9 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Does anybody think Levein is trying to recreate the 85-86 team?

Quite possibly. It’s blatantly obvious Naismith is playing the Alex MacDonald role 👍🏻

12 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Does anybody think Levein is trying to recreate the 85-86 team?

1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

Quite possibly. It’s blatantly obvious Naismith is playing the Alex MacDonald role 👍🏻

Always thought that structure worked well for us big n small striker up front. Blend of youth n experience. Its always seemed to serve us well. 

King Of The Cat Cafe
23 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

B ) is utter bullshit. Most of us would HAVE liked Cochrane and McDonald to get more game time. Hickey has burst onto the scene now and the same goes for him but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up the same as those 2.  

FTFY

56 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

The best post Iv read on here in years...Bravo Sir👏🏼

Funny, I thought it was one of the worst :lol: 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Glenn Whelan would be a cracking signing but after reading through this car crash, I'm no clearer as to whether he's signed or not.

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Always thought that structure worked well for us big n small striker up front. Blend of youth n experience. Its always seemed to serve us well. 

Might take a while to find the Robbo/Clark standard 

3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Glenn Whelan would be a cracking signing but after reading through this car crash, I'm no clearer as to whether he's signed or not.

This.

He would be a brilliant signing.

Now can the village idiots move over a little so we can see when the scarf gets lifted above the head.

Captain Canada
19 minutes ago, gedster said:

If we're  loaning out Wighton, a player we allegedly paid a hefty fee for then this is unacceptable for Hearts. Embarrassing that a player we paid money for is so far removed from the quality required that we may punt him elsewhere like Edwards last season. Piss poor signing but the club at fault for this and not him.

I just can't see Wighton featuring at all. He's already behind fitness-wise because of injury and realistically he's behind Uche, Washington, Keena and MacLean up front and behind Naismith, Walker and Clare as a no. 10. 

If he was to play on the right wing as he has a couple of times, he's then behind Walker, Zanatta and McDonald. 

You're right that it's not his fault. He shouldn't have been signed in the first place and certainly not for a fee. He looked a prospect at 17 but has done nothing since. I think Levein is deliberately being stubborn by keeping him as he doesn't want another complete failure of a signing highlighted. 

11 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

:davebp:

10 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Might take a while to find the Robbo/Clark standard 

Naismith could be the robbo , Clark im not sure - get Vanecek back maybe 😏

Was it not Cark who went off for a clash of heads - cup game v Rangers - tynie jan 86? 3-2 win ,(a game i have never seen highlights of - first game at Tynie for me that was)  otherwise he was a run through a brick wall but had skill type. Is there even that type of player anymore. 

BarneyBattles44
17 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

I'm sure you know AM managed the 85-86 side

Whelan played alot last season for Villa. Mick McCarthy still utilised him on the international front. Signing a guy like Whelan is a no brainer if your only alternative is Bozanic who is let's face not very good and Whelan is a massive upgrade.

davemclaren
16 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I don’t think he has, but don’t quote me. 

3fingersreid
10 minutes ago, sadj said:

Naismith could be the robbo , Clark im not sure - get Vanecek back maybe 😏

Was it not Cark who went off for a clash of heads - cup game v Rangers - tynie jan 86? 3-2 win ,(a game i have never seen highlights of - first game at Tynie for me that was)  otherwise he was a run through a brick wall but had skill type. Is there even that type of player anymore. 

It was Clark that went off with Colin Mcadam replacing him 

BarneyBattles44
1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

I do 😉

AM isn't you're man then if CL is looking to replicate the 85-86 side

Pick someone else please

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

AM isn't you're man then if CL is looking to replicate the 85-86 side

Pick someone else please

Of course he is. I’ve got it on good authority Naisy is actually managing our team 👍🏻

BarneyBattles44
2 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

If only Uche  had a gram of Clarke's performances he be fantastic

jamboinglasgow
15 minutes ago, mscjambo said:

Whelan played alot last season for Villa. Mick McCarthy still utilised him on the international front. Signing a guy like Whelan is a no brainer if your only alternative is Bozanic who is let's face not very good and Whelan is a massive upgrade.

Bozanic is better than most give him credit for but he is not a DM. He is best as player you bring on to put your foot on the ball and control the game. Due to nessecity he is being used where his game is weak.

BarneyBattles44
6 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Of course he is. I’ve got it on good authority Naisy is actually managing our team 👍🏻

Is it not this guy the secret benefactor

262935_1.jpg

11 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Thats what I thought , thank you 👍🏻

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Bozanic is better than most give him credit for but he is not a DM. He is best as player you bring on to put your foot on the ball and control the game. Due to nessecity he is being used where his game is weak.

I don't know, although he's busy in midfield he gives the ball away a bit much and doesn't do much incisive. I like him because he's got a good attitude and works hard but he doesn't belong in a squad that seeks to challenge at the top IMO

Edited by Smithee

4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Correct. I’ve never got this disdain for Bozanic. Most games he’s come on he’s the only player we’ve had in the middle of the park who has put his foot on the ball, picked his head up, and tried to find a pass to keep the play moving. 

The fact he doesn’t find anyone to play football with, is a problem with our movement ahead of him.

3fingersreid
11 minutes ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

If only Uche  had a gram of Clarke's performances he be fantastic

He was a proper centre forward  and cost us £30,000 iirc 

5 minutes ago, sadj said:

Thats what I thought , thank you 👍🏻

I might be wrong but I think it was Craig Paterson who went off for rangers after a nasty collision of heads 

CloustonHMFC

Some absolute drivel being spouted on this thread. Seems Ann was pretty accurate saying fans know **** all about football. 

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, sadj said:

Don’t believe everything you read 😉 and if ya don’t mention sheep he hasn’t a reason to post 🙂 

Are you putting any young lads up to Cove? That would be of more interest. They start against Edinburgh I believe. Have to be favourites for League 2.

Shock of a senior pro helping youngsters...Are you new to football? I got kicked up and down the park as a kid by a lot of senior pros but always teaching and also always working and advising ya in training / after training / in games / when you get left out / when you have different circumstances in games etc. 

Arrogant/stubborn fair enough but sly? 🙈

Development means a lot of things and takes many forms. A good senior pro can help you no end. McDonald I think will do well but he’s young he will be inconsistent. Harry is his own worst enemy at times. Hickey has nailed down left back with his performances so far and he will make heads turn if he hasn’t already. He will still have off days , its normal at that age. You can slate Levein for a lot of things but investing in and developing youth is something you can’t. Our first proper crop are starting to develop and come through now and hopefully that is the damage of Romanov a distant memory as we have a conveyor belt in future. I believe we invest more now than anyone but the OF which helps us attract players they would normally hoover up. The academy and Youth project needed time but it is showing signs of maturing and starting to achieve its goal.

Irving was trusted first game up against utd. If you have seen us up to first team the style is different. The difficulty has been bringing people through and that style to first team. Hopefully the integration happens as we add higher quality players for them to come in beside and they kick on as they should. 

Irving or Cochrane need a Haring or Whelan type player in beside them. A midfield of Cochrane / Irving will likely see us getting pumped remorselessly on multiple occasions.

BarneyBattles44
2 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

Some absolute drivel being spouted on this thread. Seems Ann was pretty accurate saying fans know **** all about football. 

This

32834005-7B37-4E4C-B170-019C411AB333.jpeg.d72958003497b63013314acf541bfa25.thumb.jpeg.a61305e43ec356a357f1ee3fd8459d65.jpeg

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, Flappy Hands said:

B ) is utter bullshit. Most of us would of liked Cochrane and McDonald to get more game time. Hickey has burst onto the scene now and the same goes for him but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up the same as those 2.  

I would have ...

10 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

:lol: You are obviously having a laugh mate if you really believe that statement. He puts his foot on the ball and loses it because he is so slow. His game is all over the place and he should never have been anywhere near our club. If he is being used out of position then that is a shame on him but an issue for our management.

1 hour ago, gedster said:

Signing Wighton has to go down as a total waste of money!

6 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

As she has admitted neither does she.... 

1 hour ago, Flappy Hands said:

B ) is utter bullshit. Most of us would of liked Cochrane and McDonald to get more game time. Hickey has burst onto the scene now and the same goes for him but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up the same as those 2.  

HAVE please instead of OF.

2 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Ive not heard we are after him.

I think our midfield is done, if anything it’s a CH we need.

I just read another 2 teams so assumed you and the vermin as there’s nobody else that realistically could pay for him (assuming the arse cheeks were never interested).

Just now, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

That's been obvious for the last five years.

2 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I remember people saying that one year after we signed Paul Hartley.

CloustonHMFC
1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

She has never claimed to, hence why she has very little to do with the footballing side of the club...

BarneyBattles44
1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

being Injured doesn't help his cause

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

I just read another 2 teams so assumed you and the vermin as there’s nobody else that realistically could pay for him (assuming the arse cheeks were never interested).

Whelan is signed, sealed and delivered. Eddie The Eagle has spoken ...

2 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

He’s young so maybe there’s a chance but sadly as it stands I’d probably say a loan is best this season. Could kill his confidence if he doesn’t perform here. 

1 minute ago, jambo mark said:

Wighton will never make it at Hearts - never!!

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Reading your posts has to go down as a total waste of time!

2 minutes ago, jambo mark said:

Very true. There’s always hope.

• davemclaren locked this topic