Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

BarneyBattles44
1 minute ago, John mcCartney said:

altho two words ,second one `off` hopefully yeah

Just wanted to use this 

default_FONZIE.png

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

Always a player I liked tbh. Does the dirty side of the game well which is something we’ve lacked since Gomis. Obviously question marks over his age but fact he played 38 games and still starts internationals suggest he has a bit in the tank.

I wouldn’t put too much on Villa fans not rating him. Find a lot of Norwich fans that don’t rate Naismith.

Heres a take on this. We keep adding players into positions where we have very talented youngsters instead or building around them. 

Cochrane now miles away from 1st team start, McDonald the same,Irving and Hickey will be next...

Why not put Cochrane in, but keep playing him, let him grow into the team with experience around him , same for McDonald,  is Walker any better ..debatable....but because he is a new signing he will play every week...

People laud the academy but in reality we are not giving the boys enough. The old adage of good enough then old enough doesn't seem to apply. Boys need to play, every week and they will get better and better, thst wont happen with 20mins here and there with an occasional start.

Why bring in a 35 yr old when you have Irving\Cochrane\Clare\Bozanic and Haring to come.....

1 minute ago, Naisysback said:

Heres a take on this. We keep adding players into positions where we have very talented youngsters instead or building around them. 

Cochrane now miles away from 1st team start, McDonald the same,Irving and Hickey will be next...

Why not put Cochrane in, but keep playing him, let him grow into the team with experience around him , same for McDonald,  is Walker any better ..debatable....but because he is a new signing he will play every week...

People laud the academy but in reality we are not giving the boys enough. The old adage of good enough then old enough doesn't seem to apply. Boys need to play, every week and they will get better and better, thst wont happen with 20mins here and there with an occasional start.

Why bring in a 35 yr old when you have Irving\Cochrane\Clare\Bozanic and Haring to come.....

Because Haring is injured , Clare is a completely different type of player , Bozanic is dreadful and the two youngsters are miles away from consistency at first team level . 

Cruyff Turn
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

With Berra Halkett Whelan (if he signs) Naismith in the pitch there’ll be no hiding place for anyone on that pitch!

Exactly. They have high standards and they’ll not be shy in letting folk know if they aren’t pulling their weight.

BarneyBattles44

Bozanic shouldn't be near our club

If you bring in a 35 year old with the right career status then yes . the younger players learn n are inspired

The team benefits if the player has the right attributes

Edited by BarneyBattles44

Flappy Hands
8 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

That's another thing i've picked up on. 

Both players looked well above the talent of some of the signings we've made, yet the barely get a sniff. 

Why is that?

I know i'll get told that it was injuries or whatever... but why have we had so many injuries?

It's just all a big mess if you ask me. 

Ann has done wonders for us business wise,  I can't say the same for Levein regarding the 1st team. 

Edited by Flappy Hands

Leveins Battalion
8 minutes ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

Bozanic shouldn't be near our club

If you bring in a 35 year old with the right career status then yes . the younger players learn n are inspired

The team benefits if the right attributes

Bozanic and Garrucio were weird signings,wonder if Levein has an Australian mate who is an agent 🤭

allanwilson1970

I think this shows the manager is (and knows) he’s under pressure as he is not trusting Irving or Cochrane to get us through the next few months until Haring returns.  That also is weird as he’s told us consistently youth will get a chance and that’s his mantra but here’s another example of when it matters he does the opposite. I am sure Whelan will be a good short term signing but at what cost long term. 

I really want to see the emergence this season of Hickey, Cochrane, Zanatta, Smith, McDonald and Irving. I’d rather watch them develop than a 36 year old. I’ve been to a lot of preseason games and I did not see a better performance than McDonald versus Cowdenbeath. 

Watched the championship game tonight and both teams had young boys in as they done well in pre season.  We reward ours by sending them further away from the first team and I would guess on loan 

16 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

Neither Cochrane nor McDonald have done anything in last 6-9 months to justify being anywhere near regular starters for our first team. And guess what. - they are not. 

Alex Kintner
29 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

“I’ve taken a lot of notes from managers throughout my career because I enjoyed it. But, as you get older, it means a bit more. I do want to go down that route and since I’ve come here I’ve naturally done that with the players, especially the younger ones. I have those characteristics.

“The manager lets me get on with that – he’s good in that way. I understand the balance. It’s just me passing on advice at the moment but, looking back, Hearts have got loads of young guys into coaching. Jack Ross was here, Foxy [Liam Fox] and Jon Daly as well. It’s a club that gives you that opportunity so why would I not be interested?

Yes this totally means he is virtually managing the team.

:cornette:

Big Slim Stylee
37 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Pretty academic talking him up or down, we can only judge him when he plays if he signs. Going into the league campaign with so many questions surrounding midfield is worrying though. 

But you would agree that a man that played 35 games for a club that won promotion to the EPL last season - last season, not a few seasons ago - is likely to have something to offer a mid-table SPFL side?

1 minute ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

But you would agree that a man that played 35 games for a club that won promotion to the EPL last season - last season, not a few seasons ago - is likely to have something to offer a mid-table SPFL side?

Was just about to post the exact same thing.

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, allanwilson1970 said:

I think this shows the manager is (and knows) he’s under pressure as he is not trusting Irving or Cochrane to get us through the next few months until Haring returns.  That also is weird as he’s told us consistently youth will get a chance and that’s his mantra but here’s another example of when it matters he does the opposite. I am sure Whelan will be a good short term signing but at what cost long term. 

I really want to see the emergence this season of Hickey, Cochrane, Zanatta, Smith, McDonald and Irving. I’d rather watch them develop than a 36 year old. I’ve been to a lot of preseason games and I did not see a better performance than McDonald versus Cowdenbeath. 

Watched the championship game tonight and both teams had young boys in as they done well in pre season.  We reward ours by sending them further away from the first team and I would guess on loan 

Dunno, Cochrane and Irving are not going to play the same role as Whelan. Whelan is a pure defensive midfielder and his job will be to allow the other midfielders to do the more creative and attacking side. That could actually allow Cochrane and Irving to play with more confidence know they have the protection behind them if anything goes wrong or can concentrate on getting forward. Also having a player who has played in midfield in the premier league 277 can provide extra experience and advice to the younger players.

BarneyBattles44
2 minutes ago, allanwilson1970 said:

Wheelan is 35

This young players need an experienced professional to ease them into games etc

Traditionaly young talent battled through reserves to make first team sheet

To Quote Hansen who was proven wrong once or twice in the day

Ye can't expect to win anything with kids

Johnny Sandiego
4 minutes ago, allanwilson1970 said:

Balance is the key though. I agree totally that the young boys need to get more game time and thought Irving looked like a much bigger and more 1st team ready player at East Fife. These lads need experience to go along side them, and Whelan will be ideal for that.

Bin Bozanic, Lee likely moves on, so that leaves only Peter Haring as our experienced midfielder. He's injured now too so for me we are crying out for a Whelan type signing to bring the young lads on.

6 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

We need an upgrade on the cornette.    A cornette+.   

1 minute ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Every signing has an element of unknown. If I had said to you this time last year that you agree that a centre half from the Austrian second division would be head and shoulders our best midfielder then you could have laughed at me and been wrong. Be patient, if he signs then assess him then. On paper better players than Whelan have failed and worse have succeeded. 

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Dunno, Cochrane and Irving are not going to play the same role as Whelan. Whelan is a pure defensive midfielder and his job will be to allow the other midfielders to do the more creative and attacking side. That could actually allow Cochrane and Irving to play with more confidence know they have the protection behind them if anything goes wrong or can concentrate on getting forward. Also having a player who has played in midfield in the premier league 277 can provide extra experience and advice to the younger players.

And over 85 international caps.

Vlad the impaler
29 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

The best post Iv read on here in years...Bravo Sir👏🏼

Looking at his stats, he doesn't really get booked much for DM either.

Roughly 5 a season.

Only sent off twice in his career.

Flappy Hands
10 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

The results we get when he's in the team compared to him not in the team... 

How we look utterly clueless without him...

It doesn't say much for levein and his coaches. 

Naismith basically manages the team 

MR INCREDIBLE
1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

Roughly 5 a season.

He's yet to meet W. Collum. 

Big Slim Stylee
1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

Roughly 5 a season.

Yeah but remember he’ll now be a Hearts player. Expect a red card maybe 5 mins into his debut. 

BarneyBattles44
2 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Roughly 5 a season.

Twice

Hearts-Beer.jpg

Alex Kintner
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

We need an upgrade on the cornette.    A cornette+.   

:indeed:

2 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

:cornette+++:

3 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

He's yet to meet W. Collum. 

2 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Yeah but remember he’ll now be a Hearts player. Expect a red card maybe 5 mins into his debut. 

Sadly, I agree.

Hectormasson
7 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Roughly 5 a season.

Wait till he plays weegie teams up here ,he will soon get the cards ,,yellows and reds,our refs will make sure off that c...s !!

Flappy Hands
4 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

:indeed:

:cornette+++:

You're far too simple to be a detective. 

Mr Elwood P
41 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

If you think Harry Cochrane and Glenn Whelan are in anyway comparable as players you would be as well giving up on football. We also aren’t adding any players. Edwards, Lee and Djoum are heading or headed out. Nobody has headed in (yet). Even if we add Morrison and Whelan that still leaves a space for a youth player to gain opportunities. If a player is good enough, such as Hickey, they will get game time. We can’t give game time just for the sake of it. 

Captain Canada

If Whelan signs he won't be taking the place of any youngster. Cochrane, Irving and C.Smith are not the same type of player. They are competing with Clare for a place, who himself is a young player. 

Lee obviously wants to go and hopefully Bozanic will be told to find a new club asap. I expect we'll see about half a dozen or so players leave on loan very soon too. 

It Cochrane isn't going to start many games for us, he should play elsewhere on loan, especially after missing so much of last season. 

I'd also expect Silva, C.Smith, Burns, Wighton, Moore, Henderson and Currie to go out on loan. I think Morrison will too once he's fit. 

I'd like to see Keena, McDonald and Zanatta kept as part of the first team squad. 

58 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

You can say that again 👍🏻

Different words, same sentiment.

Ure oan a roll, Franco.

:thumbsup:  

:wink: 

:wink: 

BarneyBattles44
6 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

Your suggesting Naismith is behind our poor performances with his unique coaching abilities

I remember when this guy was said to be picking the side that won Scottish Cup Twice 

Finished second in SPL  First season

Qualified CL

None outside Old Firm have done that

I know who I Believe

262935_1.jpg

44 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

🤣 The defence has Berra for experience and passing on knowledge to souttar, up top we have Naismith passing on knowledge to the attackers like Walker, Clare, Uche etc, we haven't had a midfield general to pass on knowledge to Irving, Cochrane. 

This would be a very astute signing. 

15 minutes ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

Twice

Hearts-Beer.jpg

Barney?

Are you having jolly good fun?

Alex Kintner
9 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

You're far too simple to be a detective. 

Says the guy claiming Naismith is secretly managing the team.

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, Flappy Hands said:

“I’ve taken a lot of notes from managers throughout my career because I enjoyed it. But, as you get older, it means a bit more. I do want to go down that route and since I’ve come here I’ve naturally done that with the players, especially the younger ones. I have those characteristics.

“The manager lets me get on with that – he’s good in that way. I understand the balance. It’s just me passing on advice at the moment but, looking back, Hearts have got loads of young guys into coaching. Jack Ross was here, Foxy [Liam Fox] and Jon Daly as well. It’s a club that gives you that opportunity so why would I not be interested?

Deary me thats your take on that statement.

Flappy Hands
1 minute ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

Your suggesting Naismith is behind our poor performances with his unique coaching abilities

I remember when this guy was said to be picking the side that won Scottish Cup Twice 

Finished second in SPL  First season

Qualified CL

None outside Old Firm have done that

I know who I Believe

262935_1.jpg

How do i get picked up for saying OF but you don't get grief for constantly saying YOUR INSTEAD OF YOU'RE?

And no, i'm no saying that Naismith is behind our poor form, i'm saying he's behind our good form. 

BarneyBattles44
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Barney?

Are you having jolly good fun?

Aye no bad 

53 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

A few issues with the above.

A )  You clearly don't get what type of player we need and what role they need to be playing.

B )  You think Cochrane should be allowed to "grow into the team" - have you ever been to Tynecastle?  The clowens in our support don't even allow the grass to grow withouth moaning at it.

5 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

How do i get picked up for saying OF but you don't get grief for constantly saying YOUR INSTEAD OF YOU'RE?

And no, i'm no saying that Naismith is behind our poor form, i'm saying he's behind our good form. 

So Naismith is the good form and Levein is the shit form.

Gotcha.....

BarneyBattles44
8 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

My appologies  not intending to pick on you I did pick up on you're post an used qoute

I'm happy you're not suggesting Naismith manages the side

Thanks for the reply

Edited by BarneyBattles44

Big Slim Stylee
52 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

That's another thing i've picked up on. 

Both players looked well above the talent of some of the signings we've made, yet the barely get a sniff. 

Why is that?

I know i'll get told that it was injuries or whatever... but why have we had so many injuries?

It's just all a big mess if you ask me. 

Ann has done wonders for us business wise,  I can't say the same for Levein regarding the 1st team. 

Fortunately nobody at Hearts will be remotely interested in asking you.

Flappy Hands
2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

A few issues with the above.

A )  You clearly don't get what type of player we need and what role they need to be playing.

B )  You think Cochrane should be allowed to "grow into the team" - have you ever been to Tynecastle?  The clowens in our support don't even allow the grass to grow withouth moaning at it.

B ) is utter bullshit. Most of us would of liked Cochrane and McDonald to get more game time. Hickey has burst onto the scene now and the same goes for him but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up the same as those 2.  

So he manages the team if we win?    When we lose we all nash back in time to get Levein to manage the team?

3 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

If (as rumoured) the sheep are in for him then I’d be amazed. How many midfielders do they actually have on their books ? 

I’d hope we would be favourites , certainly over the vermin

Don’t believe everything you read 😉 and if ya don’t mention sheep he hasn’t a reason to post 🙂 

1 hour ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Ive not heard we are after him.

I think our midfield is done, if anything it’s a CH we need.

Are you putting any young lads up to Cove? That would be of more interest. They start against Edinburgh I believe. Have to be favourites for League 2.

Shock of a senior pro helping youngsters...Are you new to football? I got kicked up and down the park as a kid by a lot of senior pros but always teaching and also always working and advising ya in training / after training / in games / when you get left out / when you have different circumstances in games etc. 

I'm not saying he's the bleeping manager, i'm saying that Levein likes other people to do his job for him.

He never wanted to be a manager again. Ann made him take the role after the cathro saga but he's that arrogant and sly that he just said yes and still basically still just oversee's it all. 

His main plan is and always has been to train other people to do the job while he sits back blame free. 

That's how i see it and it's just my opinion. 

She's no stupid and she might even be in on it to. It's the only reason i can think of that he's still in a job. 

Arrogant/stubborn fair enough but sly? 🙈

53 minutes ago, allanwilson1970 said:

Development means a lot of things and takes many forms. A good senior pro can help you no end. McDonald I think will do well but he’s young he will be inconsistent. Harry is his own worst enemy at times. Hickey has nailed down left back with his performances so far and he will make heads turn if he hasn’t already. He will still have off days , its normal at that age. You can slate Levein for a lot of things but investing in and developing youth is something you can’t. Our first proper crop are starting to develop and come through now and hopefully that is the damage of Romanov a distant memory as we have a conveyor belt in future. I believe we invest more now than anyone but the OF which helps us attract players they would normally hoover up. The academy and Youth project needed time but it is showing signs of maturing and starting to achieve its goal.

25 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

If you think Harry Cochrane and Glenn Whelan are in anyway comparable as players you would be as well giving up on football. We also aren’t adding any players. Edwards, Lee and Djoum are heading or headed out. Nobody has headed in (yet). Even if we add Morrison and Whelan that still leaves a space for a youth player to gain opportunities. If a player is good enough, such as Hickey, they will get game time. We can’t give game time just for the sake of it. 

Irving was trusted first game up against utd. If you have seen us up to first team the style is different. The difficulty has been bringing people through and that style to first team. Hopefully the integration happens as we add higher quality players for them to come in beside and they kick on as they should. 

Edited by sadj

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Flappy Hands said:

B ) is utter bullshit. Most of us would of liked Cochrane and McDonald to get more game time. Hickey has burst onto the scene now and the same goes for him but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up the same as those 2.  

You’ve clearly not been to Tynecastle for a while if you think there aren’t fans who get on the back of players at the drop of a hat.

• davemclaren locked this topic