Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I’ve said it before and will say it again - leave Eddie Izzard out of this!!!

😂 😂 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

1 minute ago, Hercules said:

I know you’ll find this hard to believe, I never want a Hearts player to fail, but I still fail to see what he offers ? People say he’ll come good when he’s next to certain players. It’s up to him  to show something. If he was next to a solid defensive player and he got sent off, do we sub Clare ? 

I think that’s a really harsh and hardline way of looking at what I’m trying to say tbh.

You get players who are good at everything - they are too expensive for us.

You get players who are very good allrounders - we can get them when they break through, or are winding down their careers.

You get players who are outstanding at attacking/midfielding/defending/goalkeeping - we can produce them and keep them long enough to play about a season at a stretch, and we can bring them in at the end of their careers.

You then have a multitude of players who are fair to middling at various things, and sometimes really good at some things in amongst it all - those are the guys that we need to fit in to the squad in order to get the best from their good qualities, whilst compensating for their not so great qualities.

For me, Clare offers game intelligence, reading of the game, and the ability to grab a goal or an assist. In order for us to see the benefit of those qualities, we need to arrange the first team in such a way that he has players who compliment those skills.

all imo. 👍

6 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

Facepalm could be a big difference maker weve not had someone to compete vs hibs and Aberdeen etc in middle park when things get nasty hel do just that. And win most battles too 

Too slow, legs have gone, passing is terrible. Just a few of the comments from Villa fans. I suppose if enough of us do a facepalm he will magically turn out to be midfield general. 

TyphoonJambo
19 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

I hope he signs for us and proves to be an influential player. I'd rather we take a chance on him than not take a chance on him!

At 35 years of age though, there's always going to be an element of doubt for me. If he can still do a job in the championship, why is he not in talks with a championship side?

I recognise that our league isn't that standard but you've still got to do a lot of running! 

Joey Barton came here late in his career and look what happened there. 

Different situation, Barton was, and still is, a grade A ***** who signed for (i have no idea what the collective for ***** is 😕) cuntsville. Were considering a model pro signing for a club rapidly setting the standards im Scottish football and playing in the best city in Scotland. A bit like comparing knob cheese with a fine cheddar. 

The White Cockade
2 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Too slow, legs have gone, passing is terrible. Just a few of the comments from Villa fans. I suppose if enough of us do a facepalm he will magically turn out to be midfield general. 

played 38 games last season in the Championship for a team that won promotion

If he was finished no way he would have been picked to play all season

Villa are a stronger team than us so i'm sure he can do a season up here

if Haring is out a while I think it's a good move for us

Jambosteve1902
4 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Also vill fans saying he was a rock. Reads game better than anyone theyve seen.  Solid tackler.    Dont pick and choose.  Seen him enough to know hel be great up here

Dusk_Till_Dawn
44 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Cool, thanks. I wasn’t being wide by the way, I just don’t have enough interest in the English leagues. 👍

Theres a fair few folk saying he was a linchpin in their promotion, certainly over the last 15 games or so. Do you disagree with that?

He certainly played a lot and they went up

15 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

played 38 games last season in the Championship for a team that won promotion

If he was finished no way he would have been picked to play all season

Villa are a stronger team than us so i'm sure he can do a season up here

if Haring is out a while I think it's a good move for us

Absolutely bang on big difference between top of championship and SPL 

Good signing 

Flappy Hands
14 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Different situation, Barton was, and still is, a grade A ***** who signed for (i have no idea what the collective for ***** is 😕) cuntsville. Were considering a model pro signing for a club rapidly setting the standards im Scottish football and playing in the best city in Scotland. A bit like comparing knob cheese with a fine cheddar. 

He's a grade A ****** but he was still a very good footballer that came from a championship team. 

There's been others, i'm sure they had a northern irish international defender that was in his mid 30's that flopped, 

Then there's senderos who was only about 31. 

Scotland isn't as easy as some people think. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Haven't seen him tonight at Tynecastle. Maybe the Arts or Hearts not his thing.

Looking magnificent tonight the old girl. Tad different clientele  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Haven't seen him tonight at Tynecastle. Maybe the Arts or Hearts not his thing.

Looking magnificent tonight the old girl. Tad different clientele  :lol:

Hoping there’s a 70kg weight limit for the posh seats tonight. Can’t have the fatties ruining the million pound surface.

15 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Aye ye canny whack a positive post.

:phface:

It's actually called a realistic post, but you bash on pal.

At not a kick off 36 I would imagine he would be a back up/impact sub to be honest. Would be interested to know if this would be the last piece of business. 

1 minute ago, innerjambo said:

Realistic just picking out the negative posts for a team in a league far superior to ours?

Flappy Hands
18 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

He's 36 in January apparently, so i totally get where you're coming from. 

But, let's give him the benefit of the doubt until we see how he does in Scotland. 

As i said earlier, it's meant to only be a 1 year deal, Not much of a risk. 

He's only cover for Haring. 

We'd all love us to sign a top class 25 year old with 88 international caps who will be with us for 3 years but that's no affordable unfortunately. 

Hopefully Ann sorts our scouting network out and we can find some more peter harings in the next window. 

Edited by Flappy Hands

Lord Beni of Gorgie
16 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Hoping there’s a 70kg weight limit for the posh seats tonight. Can’t have the fatties ruining the million pound surface.

It's ok. Kept the Mrs off 

Someone describing a career professional who plays in a very competitive league as pish must imagine we are in the market for young superstars.

14 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

He's 36 in January apparently, so i totally get where you're coming from. 

But, let's give him the benefit of the doubt until we see how he does in Scotland. 

As i said earlier, it's meant to only be a 1 year deal, Not much of a risk. 

He's only cover for Haring. 

We'd all love us to sign a top class 25 year old with 88 international caps who will be with us for 3 years but that's no affordable unfortunately. 

Hopefully Ann sorts our scouting network out and we can find some more peter harings in the next window. 

If he does sign, I genuinely hope he pleasantly surprises me. But this league is played at a very fast pace, you're closed down quickly, you don't get much time on the ball. Not sure that will suit him, especially if he's getting towards the end of his career. 

Just now, innerjambo said:

If he does sign, I genuinely hope he pleasantly surprises me. But this league is played at a very fast pace, you're closed down quickly, you don't get much time on the ball. Not sure that will suit him, especially if he's getting towards the end of his career. 

Sounds much like the English Championship.

Where he just played 30 odd games and won promotion.

If he signs, I think he’ll surprise a few.

BarneyBattles44
3 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Someone describing a career professional who plays in a very competitive league as pish must imagine we are in the market for young superstars.

This 

Don't know if his legs have gone n all thats spouted on the guy

Knows that winning feeling

NINTCHDBPICT000493293978-e1559654507659.jpg

Flappy Hands
1 minute ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

This 

Don't know if his legs have gone n all thats spouted on the guy

Knows that winning feeling

NINTCHDBPICT000493293978-e1559654507659.jpg

He's got the tattoos to do well. 

6 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

innerjambo 

:cornette:

All very well Frank, but you really don't know if he would cope with the pace of the Scottish game at his age. Quite a few have failed, including Joey Barton, and most people thought he would stroll it. He wasn't 35 at the time either. 

If (as rumoured) the sheep are in for him then I’d be amazed. How many midfielders do they actually have on their books ? 

I’d hope we would be favourites , certainly over the vermin

Edited by 1971fozzy

8 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

All very well Frank, but you really don't know if he would cope with the pace of the Scottish game at his age. Quite a few have failed, including Joey Barton, and most people thought he would stroll it. He wasn't 35 at the time either. 

English Championship a really slow and non-physical league, mate?

BarneyBattles44
10 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

He's got the tattoos to do well. 

Aye but does he have them on a honed machine like this ****

GL622506.jpg

1 minute ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

GL622506.jpg

Pub team player

He’s a player I’ve never particularly rated at the level he’s been at but got to imagine he’s good enough to offer us something..

Flappy Hands
1 minute ago, BelgeJambo said:

Pub team player

4 minutes ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

GL622506.jpg

John Collins?

Bit of an odd post on here to be fair. 

Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

English Championship a really slow and non-physical league, mate?

I didn't say it was slow, I said I don't think it's as fast as up here. Players have a bit more time on the ball down there, and to make a pass. Up here, you get closed down quicker, and the second ball becomes more important. It doesn't suit a lot players when they arrive here, they can't handle it, or the physicality.

1 hour ago, Hercules said:

I know you’ll find this hard to believe, I never want a Hearts player to fail, but I still fail to see what he offers ? People say he’ll come good when he’s next to certain players. It’s up to him  to show something. If he was next to a solid defensive player and he got sent off, do we sub Clare ? 

I agree he has done little to show his potential, if he has any.

Has been very average in his time with us and doesnt impose himself on a game at all.

Never Let Them Forget

He’s a horrible player but he’s our horrible player 😎

Another great signing well done Hearts!

3 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

608381_v9_bb.jpg

3 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I’ve said it before and will say it again - leave Eddie Izzard out of this!!!

............nah, it's Gordon Ramsay in drag

BarneyBattles44
1 minute ago, Flappy Hands said:

John Collins?

Bit of an odd post on here to be fair. 

Its in reference to another posters reply to my post Whelan's has the tattoos 

Was in jest of hibs players under Collins charge inaability to play due to their lack of finess

To be Fair

And for Whelan as a Villa fan he was decent for us and he will do well here for a season i have no doubt.

JamboBornNBred
24 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Wrong............................Joey Barton himself talked himself up and said he would stroll it up here...........................but we know how that turned out.

Alex Kintner
26 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Shitemare 💩💩💩

1 hour ago, VALDOS' said:

At not a kick off 36 I would imagine he would be a back up/impact sub to be honest. Would be interested to know if this would be the last piece of business. 

Ffs seriously? Lol 

Off topic, but... he might be an absolute arsehole, but John Collins was ‘world class’ in his prime, imo.

*washing my mouth out as we speak*

Flappy Hands
14 minutes ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

Its in reference to another posters reply to my post Whelan's has the tattoos 

Was in jest of hibs players under Collins charge inaability to play due to their lack of finess

To be Fair

Well TO BE FAIR I've no idea what you're on about but carry on. 

To be fair. 

Same posters moaning.

Same posters that STILL believe they will be picking the team soon.

Flappy Hands
11 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Off topic, but... he might be an absolute arsehole, but John Collins was ‘world class’ in his prime, imo.

*washing my mouth out as we speak*

He was decent to be fair. Worth a 1 year contract? 

BarneyBattles44
5 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

Well TO BE FAIR I've no idea what you're on about but carry on. 

To be fair. 

To be or not to be FAIR

bolt.png

BarneyBattles44
1 minute ago, Flappy Hands said:

Haha

Usain

If your truely offended I can remove offensive image

55 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Folk on here pish their pants at Jimmy Dunne who struggled to get a game in the league below where Whelan just played 38 games in a physically more demanding league and position yet question whether whelan will cope? 

• davemclaren locked this topic