Private Taxi Hire Scam

Lovecraft

What's the deal with all the private hire cars being either giant Mercs or BMWs?

Anyone know what the scam is?

Sure, you may see a couple of Prius (Prii) kicking around, but they are mostly huge  -  with I'm guessing  -  crap MPG.

Its got to be some sort of tax dodge, saw a Private hire Tesla the other day !!!

In Livingston, private hire is the norm, and private cars more common than Hackney cabs, but most are Skodas.

I have noticed, in Edinburgh though, many (Uber?), arenas you say. 

heartsfc_fan

Drive past a Tesla Model S earlier just off Leith Walk. Madness having a car like that for a taxi but then again in a few years that till be that norm.

I always presumed that similar to private car rental places it was a good way to launder money, buying a new car, making money off it for a couple of years and then selling it on for a slightly lower than market rate given the high mileage?

29 minutes ago, bn jambo said:

Its got to be some sort of tax dodge, saw a Private hire Tesla the other day !!!

Someone submitted a freedom of information act request to TfL a few years back to see what cars were registered (no congestion charges in London for cabs) and the list came back full of Aston Martins, Lamborghinis, Bentleys, Range Rovers, Ferraris, etc. etc. 

Obeying the letter if not the spirit of the law methinks. 

Would've thought the most kosher, and beneficial way to save money, would be to drive a vehicle with lower emissions. I don't drive but I'd guess you'd pay less taxes on that? And if the MPG is better, you'll get better expenses?

34 minutes ago, Locky said:

Would've thought the most kosher, and beneficial way to save money, would be to drive a vehicle with lower emissions. I don't drive but I'd guess you'd pay less taxes on that? And if the MPG is better, you'll get better expenses?

Exactly what I mean.

Driving around in giant exec BMWs and Mercs will cost more on initial cost, fuel and tax.

There must be some kind of scam.  It doesn't add up.

You can get grants for electric cars and a few years ago everyone had Skoda Ocatvios as they had unlimited (or ridiculously high mileage) warranties.

53 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Exactly what I mean.

Driving around in giant exec BMWs and Mercs will cost more on initial cost, fuel and tax.

There must be some kind of scam.  It doesn't add up.

You can get grants for electric cars and a few years ago everyone had Skoda Ocatvios as they had unlimited (or ridiculously high mileage) warranties.

I think as far as Uber is concerned, you can earn more if you have a 'luxury' car. I'm sure I've seen that on the app that you can pay extra to get a big Merc or something pick you up. Could be talking shite.

A Boy Named Crow

The way it tends to work here is there are companies that buy up hundreds of Toyota Camrys. They then hire them out to people wanting to do Uber. It means if you order an Uber in Sydney, especially at unsociable hours, the chances are the guy will bounce up in a Toyota  Camry, that is not his own car. Could it be a similar set up in Edinburgh?

* Added impact of this is that is now nigh on impossible to buy a new Camry here, the waiting list is savage!

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Seymour M Hersh
15 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

What's the deal with all the private hire cars being either giant Mercs or BMWs?

Anyone know what the scam is?

Sure, you may see a couple of Prius (Prii) kicking around, but they are mostly huge  -  with I'm guessing  -  crap MPG.

They are mostly diesel cars and not giant Mercs or BMWs. Skoda is probably the most popular make for PHCs.

Howdy Doody Jambo

There's lot's of old wee rust buckets doing the private hires in Edinburgh, makes you wonder who passes the MOT's, the standards seems to vary considerably suppose that's the clooncil for you 

The majority of PHC ‘s in Edinburgh have a poor grasp of English and rely on google maps / sat nav and customer instructions to get from A to B . 

Bridge of Djoum

When I worked weekends in NY my boss used to book me an UBER. Same guy picked me up in the mornings in an Escalade. 

Overkill but what a lovely car.

Image result for escalade

18 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

When I worked weekends in NY my boss used to book me an UBER. Same guy picked me up in the mornings in an Escalade. 

Overkill but what a lovely car.

Image result for escalade

Too ostentatious for me.

Bridge of Djoum
41 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Too ostentatious for me.

Live a little, peasant!

:laugh: